Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

89 posted:

Any cool add on's that have come up in the past year that's not in the OP?

No idea how old they are, but i've just discovered today, NHL on demand (hd), Phoenix, Genesis and iLive. Streamed Battle of the Five Armies this morning, then some Korean crime movie, right clicked, added to Couch Potato and it found it... Not sure i need that HDD upgrade anymore.

Who would of thunk it, i can we Live EPL through Kodi. I also found some weird anime my brother challenged me to find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Rocksicles posted:

No idea how old they are, but i've just discovered today, NHL on demand (hd), Phoenix, Genesis and iLive. Streamed Battle of the Five Armies this morning, then some Korean crime movie, right clicked, added to Couch Potato and it found it... Not sure i need that HDD upgrade anymore.

Who would of thunk it, i can we Live EPL through Kodi. I also found some weird anime my brother challenged me to find.

Xbmc is awsome for live streaming, you just have to find a good source for links and some patience. Genesis is near perfect.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Since the Gotham > Kodi upgrade there's something weird about video playback. I want to say it's jerky, but not visibly so. Maybe frames are getting skipped? Any idea what's going on? On OpenELEC x86_64.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Since the Gotham > Kodi upgrade there's something weird about video playback. I want to say it's jerky, but not visibly so. Maybe frames are getting skipped? Any idea what's going on? On OpenELEC x86_64.

Could it be the dreaded "jutter"? Refresh rate issues.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
When you link a movie to a TV show, is there a way to control where it shows up besides alphabetical? Ex, having the Batman 66 movie pop up between seasons 1 and 2 or the Kids in the Hall movie showing up after season 5.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I just found out that you can selectively adjust, override, the refresh rate based on the frame rate of the media. This means 24fps is played on a 24hz refresh rate, 25fps media is played at 50hz and everything else is played at 60hz. It never really worked well until I put this in the advancedsettings.xml file. I also used fpsdetect 0 so that it would not switch refresh rate multiple times when playing variable frame rate media. Hope this helps anyone else, also this was done on the PC build of XMBC. Probably only needed if you have a 60hz native TV that also supports 24hz and 50hz. If you have a TV that supports 120hz native refresh rate its probably not needed. I can confirm its made a huge improvement in the smoothness of my movies. <s>The CGI in the hobbit is so lifelike now </s>.

http://kodi.wiki/view/AdvancedSettings.xml

code:
<advancedsettings>
	<video>
	<fpsdetect>0</fpsdetect>
		<adjustrefreshrate> 
			<override>
				<fpsmin>23</fpsmin>
				<fpsmax>24</fpsmax>
				<refresh>24</refresh>
			</override>
			<override>
      				<fps>25</fps>      
     				<refresh>50</refresh> 
    			</override>
			<fallback>
				<refresh>60.0</refresh>  <!-- everything else 60hz -->
			</fallback>
		</adjustrefreshrate> 
	</video>
	<splash>false</splash> <!-- no splash screen on start -->
</advancedsettings>

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

r0ck0 posted:

I just found out that you can selectively adjust, override, the refresh rate based on the frame rate of the media. This means 24fps is played on a 24hz refresh rate, 25fps media is played at 50hz and everything else is played at 60hz. It never really worked well until I put this in the advancedsettings.xml file. I also used fpsdetect 0 so that it would not switch refresh rate multiple times when playing variable frame rate media. Hope this helps anyone else, also this was done on the PC build of XMBC. Probably only needed if you have a 60hz native TV that also supports 24hz and 50hz. If you have a TV that supports 120hz native refresh rate its probably not needed. I can confirm its made a huge improvement in the smoothness of my movies. <s>The CGI in the hobbit is so lifelike now </s>.

http://kodi.wiki/view/AdvancedSettings.xml

code:
<advancedsettings>
	<video>
	<fpsdetect>0</fpsdetect>
		<adjustrefreshrate> 
			<override>
				<fpsmin>23</fpsmin>
				<fpsmax>24</fpsmax>
				<refresh>24</refresh>
			</override>
			<override>
      				<fps>25</fps>      
     				<refresh>50</refresh> 
    			</override>
			<fallback>
				<refresh>60.0</refresh>  <!-- everything else 60hz -->
			</fallback>
		</adjustrefreshrate> 
	</video>
	<splash>false</splash> <!-- no splash screen on start -->
</advancedsettings>

so if I am using a FireTV, which just tries to spit everything out at 60FPS, how could I navigate into the settings to do this?

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

KKKLIP ART posted:

so if I am using a FireTV, which just tries to spit everything out at 60FPS, how could I navigate into the settings to do this?

Don't think you can, Android doesn't support frame rate switching.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

KKKLIP ART posted:

No, as the poster above me said. However there is this tool, I haven't used it and don't know anything about it but its from chainfire so it must be good.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.tv.hz&hl=en

http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-player/themes-apps/app-tvhz-t2966624

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010
My XBMC is running through my Raspberry Pi and is networked to my desktop where my movie files are located. I haven't had any problems running any files, besides the fact that they take a little longer to load initially (I am assuming this is because it is networked).

I did run into an issue with a lot of pausing and intermittent picture quality issues during playback of a larger (44 GB) Blu-ray, HD Master Audio file. Is this simply because of the size of the file and the fact that its playback is through a network connection? Or could it be a Raspberry Pi/XBMC issue?

Is there such thing as faster HDMI cables (much like USB) that might be causing the issue?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

AzCoug posted:

Is there such thing as faster HDMI cables (much like USB) that might be causing the issue?

Unless your HDMI cables are from the dollar store, this is not the issue. Press either i or o (can't remember which one, there's a few keys up there that do stuff) during playback and it'll bring up an overlay with audio/video formats, bitrates and dropped frames. If there's a poo poo ton of dropped frames or your GPU is being run 100% then that'll be why you're having issues.

I haven't tried it since I changed the graphics card, but my 2.4ghz C2D HTPC could play blu-ray disc in the drive fine, but for some reason choked on imaged versions and would have appalling frame rates and the like.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

Unless your HDMI cables are from the dollar store, this is not the issue. Press either i or o (can't remember which one, there's a few keys up there that do stuff) during playback and it'll bring up an overlay with audio/video formats, bitrates and dropped frames. If there's a poo poo ton of dropped frames or your GPU is being run 100% then that'll be why you're having issues.

What's the fix?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

AzCoug posted:

What's the fix?

Gig-E to the raspi, HDD's with faster seek, basically better hardware. Also not using a Raspi for decoding huge files.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I'll put money on it being the Pi not having the grunt.

e: Plex would work for you, but it would be a transcode of the file so you'd lose quality. If the Pi isn't the main client and just a bedroom box or something, that would work.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010
Maybe I just need to get a cheap computer to use as the "decoder"

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

AzCoug posted:

My XBMC is running through my Raspberry Pi and is networked to my desktop where my movie files are located. I haven't had any problems running any files, besides the fact that they take a little longer to load initially (I am assuming this is because it is networked).

I did run into an issue with a lot of pausing and intermittent picture quality issues during playback of a larger (44 GB) Blu-ray, HD Master Audio file. Is this simply because of the size of the file and the fact that its playback is through a network connection? Or could it be a Raspberry Pi/XBMC issue?

More than likely yes, XBMC by default only caches 20 MB with of data at a time. For a 44 GB file that's only a couple of seconds worth of data.

here is my recent post from the Cable Cutting thread on the topic

Hadlock posted:

The FireTV has the same size cache but it also has 2GB RAM so you can bump the cache to 1GB without impacting performance (this is where I have mine set to). In many cases 1GB is as large or larger than the file you're viewing.

Without increasing the cache size the default cache on any device is only 30 MB. That's an "M", not a "G". So if your sister is microwaving a hot pocket in the kitchen for three minutes you could end up waiting for the video to buffer.

No you have to push out a modified config file to xbmc folder via adb it's not an advertised feature because the lag between when I figured out how to do it and when they approved my access to edit their wiki was longer than my interest in documenting how to do it

it's called advancedsettings.xml

code:
<advancedsettings>
  <network>
    <!--- The three settings will go in this space, between the two network tags. --->
	<buffermode>1</buffermode>
	<cachemembuffersize>354857600</cachemembuffersize>
	<readbufferfactor>5</readbufferfactor>
  </network>
</advancedsettings>
The number in there is 354mb, because whatever number in there xbmc triples so you end up with ~1GB RAm used :iiam:

The date on the file I pulled that from is 10/19 and I haven't had any issues so I can say it's reasonably safe. The only issuse I've seen is a tiny warning box will sometime pop up if you pause and rewind saying the cache is full but I think it's a bug with the cache monitoring system not expecting the cache to be larger than X. The warning box doesn't have any impact though, just a false alarm.

You can re-push the advancedsettings.xml over and over with different numbers until you find one that works for you, probably even for the Fire TV stick by bumping it up to 128mb.

I bumped my cache up to 1GB to get rid of stutter issues decoding 17 GB files on the Amazon Fire TV, you're borderline insane trying to get liquid smooth performance out of the Pi using XBMC, to quote SeaborneClink, "Also not using a Raspi for decoding huge files."

I would bump the cache up to whatever is reasonable on the Pi (even going to 100 MB cache) and that would improve performance quite a bit. Still, you're trying to drink the ocean from a straw here.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Despite everything being properly named and NFO files residing with them XBMC is refusing to scrape most of my TV shows. It's reading the folder via NFS. It pulls 3 out of maybe 12 shows from this folder. Anyone have an idea what the hell is causing this hangup? Everything on this external HD used to be read by XBMC. I distro hopped and set up the share again yet it's ignoring stuff. Browsing to the files and playing them manually works so it's definitely able to see them.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

YouTuber posted:

Despite everything being properly named and NFO files residing with them XBMC is refusing to scrape most of my TV shows. It's reading the folder via NFS. It pulls 3 out of maybe 12 shows from this folder. Anyone have an idea what the hell is causing this hangup? Everything on this external HD used to be read by XBMC. I distro hopped and set up the share again yet it's ignoring stuff. Browsing to the files and playing them manually works so it's definitely able to see them.

Did you check if the source is configured correctly? Makes sure you have the appropriate folder option and the correct type assigned. Might want to try removing the source completely and creating it again. Failing that, enable logging and run the update again and see if you can tell what's going on.

Linco
Apr 1, 2004

Hadlock posted:

here is my recent post from the Cable Cutting thread on the topic

Thanks! This improved my performance a ton!

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

EC posted:

Did you check if the source is configured correctly? Makes sure you have the appropriate folder option and the correct type assigned. Might want to try removing the source completely and creating it again. Failing that, enable logging and run the update again and see if you can tell what's going on.

Hmm removing the source completely and cleaning the library then adding it in fresh seems to have fixed it. Logs were kicking up a "cannot connect to server" error which was total horseshit since it would read some but not all files.

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012
What is everyone's opinion on Plex? I think it's fantastic. I don't totally understand what the plex pass is, but I have logged a few friends' tvs on to my account and haven't had an issue. I just need a good client to run on the server machine with a remote app (analogous to Yatse for Android/XBMC) and I'm done with XBMC.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I moved to Plex after using XBMC since XBMP or whatever it was called on the original Xbox. Nothing that's happened to XBMC development in at least 3 major revisions has excited me in the slightest, and Plex handles client/server relationships so, so, so much better. It also meant I could sell my jailbroken Apple TV 2 for twice as much money as I bought an Apple TV 3 with that can run Plex and is generally so much better.

Plex Pass is mainly useful if you want to sync things to your mobile devices and a few other little bits. I only have it because they announced they were upping the price, so I jumped in on a years pass for $30 or whatever first. Used it a few times, but I'd be just as happy without it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tiger.Bomb posted:

What is everyone's opinion on Plex? I think it's fantastic. I don't totally understand what the plex pass is, but I have logged a few friends' tvs on to my account and haven't had an issue. I just need a good client to run on the server machine with a remote app (analogous to Yatse for Android/XBMC) and I'm done with XBMC.

Plex is like a new car, you jump in and go.
Kodi is like a renovated muscle car, you spend a poo poo load of time getting it running, then it craps out at the lights.

I have both, i prefer Kodi

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
Isn't the primary difference where the grunt work takes place? I thought Plex required a more robust server than just an external hard drive connected to a router, and XBMC/KODI requires the hardware more on the interface/device end.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Plex will play native or the server can transcode. It depends on the client.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I don't see the appeal of having to have both a server app and a client app running to watch my content. Unless you need transcoding, then Plex is the winner.

Personally I find XBMC much more natural to use and way more rewarding. It's addon framework alone makes it leagues above Plex (in my estimation).

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
I was happily using both until the Trakt update messed the watched status syncing up.

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010
I use PlexBMC so that I get the great xbmc skins and interface while also getting the convenience of being able to transcode to my Chromecast if I'm out.

I also like that now it never tells me that it can't see my files, which used to happen fairly regularly with smb sharing. My non tech housemates absolutely love it and regularly enthuse about how easy and convenient it is to their friends and families. So I guess my advice is just choose both.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Falco posted:

Isn't the primary difference where the grunt work takes place? I thought Plex required a more robust server than just an external hard drive connected to a router, and XBMC/KODI requires the hardware more on the interface/device end.

Gozinbulx posted:

I don't see the appeal of having to have both a server app and a client app running to watch my content. Unless you need transcoding, then Plex is the winner.

Personally I find XBMC much more natural to use and way more rewarding. It's addon framework alone makes it leagues above Plex (in my estimation).

I guess it comes down to the following: do you want to watch your library on a single machine, or more than one? If the former, XBMC. If the latter, Plex. Having a separated client/server package makes life a lot easier, even if it's just remotely editing your library in a web browser. Also I don't find running the two side by side puts any extra strain on the machine. Plus the server end is rock solid, whereas if XBMC fell over on my HTPC (which it would often do if left running for a few days on end) I lose the whole house until it's rebooted.

Plex only transcodes when it needs to. If the device / location (as you can watch over 3G, or across the internet) doesn't support the native file, then it'll transcode at a set rate. It certainly doesn't need much in the way of grunt as my NzbGet/Sonarr/CouchPotato/Plex/QBT system is running on a C2D 2.4ghz machine with 2GB of RAM. It gets sketchy when it needs to do dual encodes however, but that's pretty rare.

Losing some add ons from XBMC kinda sucked, but holy poo poo you spend more time messing about with them trying to get them to work and staring at buffering screens most of the time anyway. I'm not sure why Plex can't add an additional plugin section to the client version as well rather than needing to use the server, but it's not something I missed as much as I thought I would.

MeKeV posted:

I was happily using both until the Trakt update messed the watched status syncing up.

Trakt was my single biggest plugin headache when I used XBMC. It wasn't content with sometimes not syncing, but completely loving up XBMC in the process. Every time a major version was launched I'd try it, and the same poo poo would happen (official plugin, tried on completely fresh installs too). The Trakt plugin on Plex seems fine, never had any issues with it. Syncing library watched status' is always going to be hard with it though as a watch always trumps an unwatched.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Genesis is a pretty rock solid addon (though it had problems last night as tvdb migrated servers) that requires just about zero hassling. My mother uses it.

I think plex is awesome for what it does, but I prefer hosting my files on a NAS with no particualr sever software running, and just point my XBMC instances at it. If all the NFOs are in the folder, each XBMC instance should be able to scrape it instantly. Theres also the whole SQL thing but I don't want to mess with that.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I use XBMC on my TV and if I am on another device I just access the file from the video share directly on the file server from my XYZ device using VLC, typically from my desktop. The number of times where I wished I had netflix type capability of my video share when I wasn't sitting in front of my TV is about zero. Maybe it's one of those "I never knew I needed this" type things. Also I only watch about 5-8 hours a week of non-youtube video.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
XBMC for myself, Plex for friends and family. I have a pretty great upstream so its just easier to create them a plex account and share my library so they can stream it. Plex clients themselves are way too restrictive for my taste and I find the paid account fees absolutely ridiculous.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
It's very easy to set up library sharing from the main Kodi/XBMC machine with upnp. I use a mix of upnp for my movies, since it's gigantic and I'm meticulous with metadata/art, and smb for each family member's music.

The real difference between the two is do you want to direct play your files over your local network or do you want to access your files anywhere on anything? XBMC/Kodi for the former, Plex for the latter.

I found that Plex needed to transcode nearly everything on the Fire TV version because they couldn't include a lot of codecs due to licensing issues. That plus their growing tendency to hide new features/versions behind the paywall for months gave me the motivation to switch over.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Call Me Charlie posted:

It's very easy to set up library sharing from the main Kodi/XBMC machine with upnp. I use a mix of upnp for my movies, since it's gigantic and I'm meticulous with metadata/art, and smb for each family member's music.

The real difference between the two is do you want to direct play your files over your local network or do you want to access your files anywhere on anything? XBMC/Kodi for the former, Plex for the latter.

I found that Plex needed to transcode nearly everything on the Fire TV version because they couldn't include a lot of codecs due to licensing issues. That plus their growing tendency to hide new features/versions behind the paywall for months gave me the motivation to switch over.

This (these) are the correct answer(s).

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Although note that it is possible to set up "access from anywhere" with XBMC: install SubSonic. It's pretty sweet. It even works with OpenElec, if you can get Java installed manually.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Kodi on the Fire TV with add ons is the happiest I've been with this stuff. Its drat near perfect. After trying a bunch of different streaming media player options including the WD Live, one of those M8 android boxes, Kodi on a Dell PC and various generic garbage android devices, I feel like this is the ideal solution. The Fire TV is solid as poo poo, the remote works and feels great and it can be had for like $80. Kodi, Netflix, HBO GO and Youtube has basically got me covered for everything I need. Some of these Kodi add ons are kind of insane.

A PC Game
May 7, 2007
What is the best Kodi skin to use to make PleXBMC look good? I really like the way the default plex interface looks on the fire tv app.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012

A PC Game posted:

What is the best Kodi skin to use to make PleXBMC look good? I really like the way the default plex interface looks on the fire tv app.

Amber is alright.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
So I'm seeing a lot of good things about the Fire TV and Google Nexus Player when it comes to running XBMC. However, I have a hitch. My HDHomerun Prime broadcasts in Mpeg2 so any device I use pretty much requires MPEG2 hardware decoding or it's going to stutter and poo poo. Currently my Raspberry Pi can do the HW decoding for live TV but it chokes on loading the EPG; I'd rather get a box that can handle this and perhaps other addon as well.

What box is decent in the 100-150 range that can do HW decoding? Am I just going to be forced to settle for my Raspberry Pi for the time being?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Amazon has their XBMC Fire TV for $84 shipped right now, 15% off for some reason