Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

Him trying to add a nonexistent storyline about concussions to the Ibushi/Nakamura match sounds like what annoyed me most about his WWE commentary.
Randy is wearing down his chin! That's going to leave him exposed for the RKO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Not to use ~insider terms~ but I think the only problem with Striker is that he's always working, not just commentating. Stuff like that, he has to put some story in or just get himself over about how smart he is in some way rather than just talking about what's happening.

It's not as bad as commentators who seriously just blab on about themselves (I'm suddenly remembering Dusty Rhodes in WCW) but it's still obnoxious

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Doo-Wop Duodenum posted:

You haven't lived until you've heard Sami Callahan call a match

I did once and I wanted to die.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Doo-Wop Duodenum posted:

You haven't lived until you've heard Sami Callahan call a match

I think you mean a giant wad of dip calling a match.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Nerokerubina posted:

striker's worst moment was him straight up saying "Strong Style is the answer to the question 'is wrestling fake'" like dude how do you call a major, serious wrestling match and then just straight up say that wrestling is fake

I really enjoyed JR's utter lack of reaction to that line and the four or five seconds of dead silence that followed, segueing into JR just initiating a completely different topic with no transition.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Marquis de Pyro posted:

It's not as bad as commentators who seriously just blab on about themselves (I'm suddenly remembering Dusty Rhodes in WCW) but it's still obnoxious

Dusty had two all-time classic calls that make his time at the booth totally worth it.

"There's lady in the men's room, Tony" and "HE'S GOT A BICYCLE"

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

You're forgetting "I'm a use a dragon screw on my wife tonight"

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The all time champion Dusty line is the following exchange, during an Eddy Guerrero match:

Bobby: Dream, what would you be thinking if you were Eddy Guerrero right now?

Dream: I'd be thinking I lost a lot of weight.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

I can't remember which PPV it is (gotta be somewhere in late 95 early 96 because I'm working my way through Nitro), but Dusty and Brain poo poo all over Schiavone for (correctly) calling a German suplex. They just kept going on and on about the nationality for each subsequent move and Schiavone is clearly pissed, much to my amusement.

Dusty owned on commentary.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The all time greatest commentary moment is Tony not knowing the difference between Karl and Frank Gotch and ranting about Heenan listening to people on the internet.

Mr. Swoon
Nov 25, 2003

ALL WE DO IS PARTY

Charles Gnarwin posted:

I can't remember which PPV it is (gotta be somewhere in late 95 early 96 because I'm working my way through Nitro), but Dusty and Brain poo poo all over Schiavone for (correctly) calling a German suplex. They just kept going on and on about the nationality for each subsequent move and Schiavone is clearly pissed, much to my amusement.

Dusty owned on commentary.

I think this is the one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJZD_MPVeZs

Dusty's a simple, hard working man, who has no time for fancy-named kicks.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

The all time greatest commentary moment is Tony not knowing the difference between Karl and Frank Gotch and ranting about Heenan listening to people on the internet.

best ever https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbNDrYRQrjQ

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I like when Tony talked about geography to burn some guy who lost on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Talk is Jericho with Hogan pt 2 starts at 29:56. Speewee is the absolute worst.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Oh god, Destination America sent Bryan an email telling him that if he wants to know whether Impact would air on Hulu, he should check his local library

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Oh god, Destination America sent Bryan an email telling him that if he wants to know whether Impact would air on Hulu, he should check his local library

wait, what?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

But what would his buddy Lance think of him then?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

What on earth?

Though if they mixed up Bryan Alvarez with Lance Storm, this was the troll of the year.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
More importantly, our National Treasure, Dragon King Karl, is cancer free! :unsmith: :toot:

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Rodney the Piper posted:

More importantly, our National Treasure, Dragon King Karl, is cancer free! :unsmith: :toot:
Thank goodness :D

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

More importantly, how far do I have to skip to hear it? And how far after that does Vinny stop laughing?

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I don't get it

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

flashy_mcflash posted:

What on earth?

Though if they mixed up Bryan Alvarez with Lance Storm, this was the troll of the year.

Gaz-L posted:

More importantly, how far do I have to skip to hear it? And how far after that does Vinny stop laughing?

Bhester posted:

I don't get it

It starts at 30:35. Basically Bryan wrote an email to Destination America asking them if Impact would be on Hulu like some of their other programmes. They replied with a form letter telling him that DA does not have a research staff, and that he could find more information at his local library or on the Internet, as if he was a kid asking them for help with a school project (insert obligatory crack at Bryan's youthful appearance)

TomWaitsForNoMan fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 9, 2015

electric funeral
Oct 16, 2004

ACCIO PANTIES
*swoosh flick*
I've been watching the early OSW podcasts and they're great but it's really funny and embarrassing that they sign off with "Take care, spike your hair."

Young Pageviews
May 26, 2014

Let's get this wrestling!
There was an amazing unintentionally backhanded compliment on Cheap Heat today when Dave Shoemaker, a dude whose sole wrestling news source is r/squaredcircle, said that Matt Striker, a veteran announcer who previously did tours as a wrestler for Zero1 and NOAH, was so knowledgeable about puro that he could even come after HIS job. I think Shoemaker and Rosenberg are funny together, but sometimes I really wish they knew a little bit more about wrestling.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The rest of the Hogan interview was just as much fun as the first. Hogan is charming and was fun to listen to, even if you basically can't believe a single thing he says.

My favorite part was when he sent Jerry Hall's kids some Hogan merchandise and included a note saying,"P.S if the Stones are ever looking for a new bass player, give me a call!" :allears:

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

It starts at 30:35. Basically Bryan wrote an email to Destination America asking them if Impact would be on Hulu like some of their other programmes. They replied with a form letter telling him that DA does not have a research staff, and that he could find more information at his local library or on the Internet, as if he was a kid asking them for help with a school project (insert obligatory crack at Bryan's youthful appearance)

The big thing I picked up from a couple of shows ago is that the number of people who "get" Destination America is actually wildly inflated by including all those who CAN get it through their cable provider... provided they have the requisite tier/package of channels. I think Bryan said that if he'd wanted to watch Impact he would have had to pay an extra $22 a month (a week?) or something like that just to get up into the tier that included it.

Suffice to say, he did not watch Impact.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
i did find it funny that a purported journalist wont pony up loving 22 dollars to watch the tv show of one of the few US promotions with national TV, no matter how terrible that TV might be

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Spermgod posted:

i did find it funny that a purported journalist wont pony up loving 22 dollars to watch the tv show of one of the few US promotions with national TV, no matter how terrible that TV might be

especially since he could could write off the upgrade on his taxes as a goddamn work expense. He's also hee-ing and haw-ing about wanting to cut the cable but I have no clue how he expects to cover Raw the next day without pirating it since you can't watch USA live on an app/OTT.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

It's about ethics in wrestling journalism

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
He's a cheap gently caress. He's spending so much less on his job than he did a year ago.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I miss the days of Bryan refusing to spend the extra $10 to order TNA in HD.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
The current mentality from Bryan is "IT COSTS MORE THAN THE WWE NETWORK AND NEW JAPAN WORLD COMBINED!!!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

He's a cheap gently caress. He's spending so much less on his job than he did a year ago.

I mean, the WWE Network alone has saved him, what, $600 this year?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Gaz-L posted:

I mean, the WWE Network alone has saved him, what, $600 this year?

$600 that he promptly spent making his audio shows sound exactly the same as they did a year ago.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Daniel Bryan posted:

$600 that he promptly spent making his audio shows sound exactly the same as they did a year ago.

But, the cellphone sounds! You can totally hear Vinny and Craig silently browsing the internet! He had to fix it!

(Well, and whatever they did so Dave sounds better. I assume just bought him whatever software Bryan uses to record?)

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Gaz-L posted:

But, the cellphone sounds! You can totally hear Vinny and Craig silently browsing the internet! He had to fix it!

(Well, and whatever they did so Dave sounds better. I assume just bought him whatever software Bryan uses to record?)

Yeah both him and Sempervive have better rigs now so that they don't sound like they're on the phone. Which is great until Dave's rig breaks down in the middle of an episode and they go back to phone calls.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

i can't shake the feeling that their "rigs" are just skype

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cardboard Box posted:

i can't shake the feeling that their "rigs" are just skype

Yeah it is, but we're talking about (presumably) a Mic -> Compressor -> DAC -> Skype.

And it sounds really good. A lot better than the phone. Remember when Dave worked for Yahoo and went out to the UFCs and we were all like "THATS NOT HOW DAVE SOUNDS ON THE PHONE"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
There was that one show where Bryan and Dave were whispering so the hotel staff wouldn't yell at them, and they sounded like a pair of 12 year olds sneaking out of bed to watch R-rated movies on HBO. Dave even had the giggles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gaz-L posted:

There was that one show where Bryan and Dave were whispering so the hotel staff wouldn't yell at them, and they sounded like a pair of 12 year olds sneaking out of bed to watch R-rated movies on HBO. Dave even had the giggles.

I want to listen to this show, please let me know the date :3:

• Locked thread