Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Not sure what caused it, but the self-healing features of ReFS only work with mirror spaces as of 8.1. With parity spaces, you can only detect it. Not sure whether that changed with Update 1 or Windows 10, because Microsoft is notoriously uncommunicative when it comes to feature changes and improvements in the back-end.

All in all, Storage Spaces is a complete design clusterfuck. Hell, you can't even switch out a disk online. Or, have an simple space in the pool? "gently caress you."

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Thermopyle posted:

At first, I just figured I'd get another WD Red even though it's not a NAS application, but then I started looking around and I see some 4TB USB 3.0 externals for pretty cheap. I dunno. Suggestions?
Externals are sometimes made with lower-quality/refurb drives, so I've always been one to go the internal drive route. That said, WD, Seagate, Hitachi, all have pretty good reliability, and whether one is better than the other tends to depend on the specific model number. You can go with 7200RPM disks if you care much about performance, or the cheaper 5400RPM ones if you're just gonna use it for video and whatnot. Past that, just get the cheapest $/GB on the day you buy it.

And always keep backups.

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Not sure what caused it, but the self-healing features of ReFS only work with mirror spaces as of 8.1. With parity spaces, you can only detect it. Not sure whether that changed with Update 1 or Windows 10, because Microsoft is notoriously uncommunicative when it comes to feature changes and improvements in the back-end.

All in all, Storage Spaces is a complete design clusterfuck. Hell, you can't even switch out a disk online. Or, have an simple space in the pool? "gently caress you."

What about under Server 2012 R2? I know 8.1 and 2012 R2 have the same core stuff. I would hope that Microsoft wouldn't ship a server OS with a file system that randomly corrupts your data.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The only difference is that the server has an actually useful administration interface for Storage Spaces. Not like this stupid poo poo in the client. Other than that, they're exactly the same drivers and executables (down to the last bit). As said already, it's a clusterfuck. Try not to use it. Go for a NAS instead (because Windows' old LVM is pretty terrible, too).

It could be so much more, but there's tons of gripes I have with its design that makes it really unsuitable for anything but running mirrors in a pool configuration which you better pray doesn't need to change at all during its lifetime.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Need some help deciding what NAS/HTPC setup to go with... I want to be able to have a box that can play a 1080p movie over XBMC while downloading and parring/unraring (using NZBGet/NZBDrone or SAB/Sickbeard combo) without dropping frames. At worst it might have to do that while also playing another video file on an Xbox One or Smart TV or laptop, so it might need to transcode at the same time. I need it to be low power and basically silent... It could go either at the end of the bed under the TV or under my bed, whichever is most convenient and generates the least noise. The problem is mechanical hdd vibrations really bother me, before I swapped to SSDs I had to mount all my HDDs with elastic inside the cases just to stop it annoying me. I have trouble sleeping so adding something else that's going to keep me awake or wake me up won't work. It will be on 24/7. Don't need a lot of space either, 2TB would probably be enough. Movies and TV would get deleted immediately after watching and the only thing on there long term I'd be worried about is music and an image of my main PC. Not worried about RAID or anything like that. Putting it in a wardrobe and drilling holes for cables isn't an option with my current setup.

Originially I planned to get an Intel NUC that would run OpenElec with SAB/Sickbeard and a QNAS HS-210, but that combo comes to about £700-800 with drives when instead I could just get a HS-251 that comes with a HDMI port and with XBMC for much less and just run SAB on there too. It's fanless which is great but no HDD dampening and reviewers say it can get hot... 40 degrees C for drives and up to 80 on the CPU which wouldn't be great for 24/7 usage.

Is there another silent/very quiet NAS out there with a good enough CPU to do all this? (The QNAS HS-251 comes with a dual core Celeron: http://www.qnap.com/i/uk/product/model.php?II=147&event=2 ) Would I be better off building my own mITX or mATX NAS/HTPC, trying to get it as passively cooled/quiet as possible and putting it under my bed for the price I'll be paying for the HS-251 + Drives? (About £500-600) Would I be able to get it as low powered as a prebuilt NAS? What OS would be best for this? Thank

Another idea could be buying just an NUC and putting an mSata SSD in there as the boot drive and for unpacking downloads to then a 2TB 2.5" HDD to dump everything onto and then just using that as a NAS? I do like the look of the QNAP software though. Am I worrying too much about the temperatures in the HS-251?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 5, 2015

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

:toot:

Goddamnit, all I did was shutdown the NAS to insert a spare. Yeah, I had to shutdown because FreeNAS shits the bed on hotplugging.

--edit:
Ugh, when I remove the disk, the pool becomes visible again. Seems partially hosed, tho.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jan 6, 2015

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

:toot:

Goddamnit, all I did was shutdown the NAS to insert a spare. Yeah, I had to shutdown because FreeNAS shits the bed on hotplugging.

Are they both really dead? Are they PATA drives?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

DNova posted:

Are they both really dead? Are they PATA drives?
SATA drives. I've removed the spare disk and FreeNAS sees them again. I'm not sure what the gently caress is going on. According to camcontrol, they're all there.

--edit: I think I'm going to rewire the power connections on the backplane. Because this makes no sense.

--edit2: Ah goddamn, the old disk had ashift 9 and the new one is a 4KB one (WD Red). loving awesome. Hopefully ZFS aligns poo poo properly regardless.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jan 6, 2015

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Combat Pretzel posted:

SATA drives. I've removed the spare disk and FreeNAS sees them again. I'm not sure what the gently caress is going on. According to camcontrol, they're all there.

--edit: I think I'm going to rewire the power connections on the backplane. Because this makes no sense.

--edit2: Ah goddamn, the old disk had ashift 9 and the new one is a 4KB one (WD Red). loving awesome. Hopefully ZFS aligns poo poo properly regardless.

AFAIK ashift is set at pool creation and can't be changed. Do reds have a jumper setting to make it lie about sector size?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Actually, ashift is either autoselected or manually set on vdev creation (via -o ashift=xx). The pool's actually mixed ashifts here. For some reason FreeNAS/ZFS felt to autoselect whatever it detects on the disks during addition of the vdevs. The WD Reds report physical 4K despite being logical 512b, and the WD RE4s reported 512b all the way. Accordingly the mirror made of WD Reds was ashift 12 and the mirror with the WD RE4s was ashift 9. Now I replaced one of the RE4s with a Red, and ZFS is jammering. The pool works, I just hope it doesn't impair performance too much.

code:
[servo@serenity ~]$ zpool status tank
  pool: tank
 state: ONLINE
status: One or more devices are configured to use a non-native block size.
        Expect reduced performance.
action: Replace affected devices with devices that support the
        configured block size, or migrate data to a properly configured
        pool.
  scan: resilvered 134G in 1h54m with 0 errors on Tue Jan  6 18:18:59 2015
config:

NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        tank        ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            ada2    ONLINE       0     0     0
            ada3    ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror-1  ONLINE       0     0     0
            ada1    ONLINE       0     0     0
            ada0    ONLINE       0     0     0  block size: 512B configured, 4096B native

errors: No known data errors
[servo@serenity ~]$ sudo zdb tank | grep ashift
                ashift: 12
                ashift: 9
                ashift: 12
                ashift: 9
--edit:
The WD Reds:

code:
[servo@serenity ~]$ sudo camcontrol identify ada0
pass0: <WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0 82.00A82> ATA-9 SATA 3.x device
pass0: 600.000MB/s transfers (SATA 3.x, UDMA6, PIO 8192bytes)

protocol              ATA/ATAPI-9 SATA 3.x
device model          WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0
firmware revision     82.00A82
serial number         WD-WMC4N0E2SNJ8
WWN                   50014ee6afb3ab58
cylinders             16383
heads                 16
sectors/track         63
sector size           logical 512, physical 4096, offset 0

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 6, 2015

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I used to have a problem with FreeNAS repeatedly re-naming the GUID for the hard drives when I plugged them back in. I went with the approach of hitting offline from the GUI not the CLI, then swapping hard drives. FreeNAS kinda threw me for a loop when I'm used to how I set things up on OpenSolaris and OpenIndiana by myself.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Is there another silent/very quiet NAS out there with a good enough CPU to do all this? (The QNAS HS-251 comes with a dual core Celeron: http://www.qnap.com/i/uk/product/model.php?II=147&event=2 ) Would I be better off building my own mITX or mATX NAS/HTPC, trying to get it as passively cooled/quiet as possible and putting it under my bed for the price I'll be paying for the HS-251 + Drives? (About £500-600) Would I be able to get it as low powered as a prebuilt NAS? What OS would be best for this? Thank

Another idea could be buying just an NUC and putting an mSata SSD in there as the boot drive and for unpacking downloads to then a 2TB 2.5" HDD to dump everything onto and then just using that as a NAS? I do like the look of the QNAP software though. Am I worrying too much about the temperatures in the HS-251?
You're probably overthinking this and should focus on solidly reliable storage first before silencing, heat, etc.

I used to run a single HP MicroServer N36L as both a NAS (running Linux) and my HTPC itself (running XBMC), and it was substantially less powerful CPU-wise than the QNAP you linked. Almost every NAS on the market skimps on CPU and RAM to keep costs low and margins high, so they won't be able to run much. Then there's the fact that a lot of them can't even thermally handle a higher power CPU anyway.

Also, there's an HTPC megathread that is probably better for actual HTPC questions. I like having my HTPC and NAS rather separate now because HTPC hardware changes with your user preferences and all that while one's storage needs tend to really only change to be "more drives, more capacity" about 95% of the time.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

necrobobsledder posted:

I used to have a problem with FreeNAS repeatedly re-naming the GUID for the hard drives when I plugged them back in. I went with the approach of hitting offline from the GUI not the CLI, then swapping hard drives. FreeNAS kinda threw me for a loop when I'm used to how I set things up on OpenSolaris and OpenIndiana by myself.
Yeah, I was an inch away from slapping Illumos or some derivate on the NAS. I intentionally skipped the GEOM bullshit of FreeBSD, so the pool is portable (between systems with ZFS). When you're using whole disks, there's plenty of info in the uberblock metadata to rebuild the pool without specific drive GUIDs or dev names. Apparently not in FreeBSD/-NAS. To make things work, I yanked the failing drive and stuffed the replacement in, suddenly there was no issue anymore. I wanted to avoid this, since said disk was still somewhat working, to minimize the chance of total failure. But alas...

Sadly, from what I've seen of napp-it, going Illumos/OpenIndiana isn't a desirable option.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I came from Solaris 11 Express, and moved to Linux with the ZFS on Linux project and haven't looked back

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

PSA: Apparently NAS4Free 9.3 is out, and can't be upgraded via the WebUI due to a new partition layout that also requires a larger (at least 2GB I think) boot device. I think I'm finally out of uses for my pile of <1GB flash drives :v:

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

IOwnCalculus posted:

PSA: Apparently NAS4Free 9.3 is out, and can't be upgraded via the WebUI due to a new partition layout that also requires a larger (at least 2GB I think) boot device. I think I'm finally out of uses for my pile of <1GB flash drives :v:

I just upgraded a couple nights ago and wasn't able to do it through the WebUI because the webserver is configured to only allow 512MB uploads and the stupid img file was like 514MB. I had to take the thumbdrive out of my NAS and use a little utility to write the img to it from my desktop. Super annoying. I tried to modify the config to allow 1GB uploads but never got it to work (embedded install).

I've been pretty happy with NAS4Free overall but my next NAS will probably run xubuntu or something so I can have more flexibility

fletcher fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 6, 2015

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, I was an inch away from slapping Illumos or some derivate on the NAS. I intentionally skipped the GEOM bullshit of FreeBSD, so the pool is portable (between systems with ZFS). When you're using whole disks, there's plenty of info in the uberblock metadata to rebuild the pool without specific drive GUIDs or dev names. Apparently not in FreeBSD/-NAS. To make things work, I yanked the failing drive and stuffed the replacement in, suddenly there was no issue anymore. I wanted to avoid this, since said disk was still somewhat working, to minimize the chance of total failure. But alas...

Sadly, from what I've seen of napp-it, going Illumos/OpenIndiana isn't a desirable option.

I went back to Solaris/OpenIndiana because I didn't need KVM anymore. Solaris is pretty nice when you get the hang of stmfadm, nwamcfg and the like.It feels pretty robust.

Soggy Chips
Sep 26, 2006

Fear is the mind killer
EDIT: Derp wrong thread, enterprise question.

Soggy Chips fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 7, 2015

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
You're in the consumer storage thread duder, I think you want the Enterprise Storage Thread.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I went back to Solaris/OpenIndiana because I didn't need KVM anymore. Solaris is pretty nice when you get the hang of stmfadm, nwamcfg and the like.It feels pretty robust.
I'm eventually going to do the same. I suppose once things are configured, the lack of a web UI doesn't matter.

Before Oracle hosed everything up, I used to run OpenSolaris as my main operating system for years. It was pretty decent, despite what the Slashdot type naysayers kept saying.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

Combat Pretzel posted:

If these Backblaze reports are actually worth a drat, a Hitachi drive is your best bet.
Hitachi doesn't make drives anymore. Since ½ a year or so, they sold that division to WD who renamed it into HGST. Who knows whether quality went to, relatively speaking, poo poo with the change? Hitachi-drives were, if Backblaze was/is to be believed, vastly superior in quality to Seagate/WD drives after all. Nevertheless, I just bought a HGST 3TB NAS Deskstar to replace a Seagate Barracuda 1,5TB that recently decided to try a career as conductor, hopefully it lasts longer than the Seagate (4 years of service) and WD (2½ years of service) that have recently decided to give up the ghost on me.

Came to this thread to look for alternatives to the "big two". Very disappointing to see that one is basically forced to go Seagate/WD nowadays. My trust for those two are close to nil.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm
I thought I'd stop in to ask far more qualified people than me how to handle my current predicament. I have a home server running Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 which hosts two VMs: My Windows Essentials 2012R2 VM, and the family media server which is Ubuntu Server 14.04 running Plex. The OS VMs are on a SSD, the storage is 4x 3TB WD Green drives (WD30EZRX) running on a somehow-still-alive Highpoint 2640x4 HBA running RAID5. This is predictably teeth-gnashingly slow (50-100Mb R/W) and I find myself backing up to an external hard drive weekly because I'm terrified it's going to kark it and lose hundreds of hours of ripping and encoding our DVD/Blu-Ray collection. I know RAID is not a substitute for backup, but between that and external HDDs, here we are.

I've considered the move to hardware raid ( specifically this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816151149 ), and as I understand it, I will need to buy all new NAS drives due to TLER and the HGST NAS drives seem very well reviewed. I'm not sure if the speed and extra reliability is worth the investment.

Is Areca a good brand? I've tried to find reviews to compare, but it seems RAID enthusiasts peaked in the pre-SSD mid 2000s.
Can I expect to see R/W approaching the combined average throughput of the drives?
Is hardware raid that much better at detecting smart failures? The highpoint web interface is more than a little janky at reporting when something goes wrong.
Is there a better way to back up running VMs rather than using Veeam and external hard drives? Crashplan? $1000 tape drive? (this may belong in the virtualization thread)

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm eventually going to do the same. I suppose once things are configured, the lack of a web UI doesn't matter.

Before Oracle hosed everything up, I used to run OpenSolaris as my main operating system for years. It was pretty decent, despite what the Slashdot type naysayers kept saying.

I've used Solaris 11 Express before, but the no updates without a support contract killed it for me.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

FISHMANPET posted:

I came from Solaris 11 Express, and moved to Linux with the ZFS on Linux project and haven't looked back

How much of a pain is it to get ZFS on Linux working? I'm looking at building a new NAS from some older hardware I have. Part of it will be doing some scientific computing when not serving files and all of the software is written with Linux in mind. I don't want to futz around trying to get it to work on BSD.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

calandryll posted:

How much of a pain is it to get ZFS on Linux working? I'm looking at building a new NAS from some older hardware I have. Part of it will be doing some scientific computing when not serving files and all of the software is written with Linux in mind. I don't want to futz around trying to get it to work on BSD.

It's very easy.

http://zfsonlinux.org/

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

calandryll posted:

It's way easier than it seems like it should be.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Yeah I've read their website but was still a bit wary. Worst case is I install and play around without copying over my major files. If it's not working for me then I'll switch over to FreeNAS.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Between a Synology 415+ (about $600) and a Q-NAP TS-451 (about $450, plus some money to push it to 4g ram), what's the better machine to get? This is going to be for home use where I've got a desktop, various laptops, and an HTPC. Phones/tablets are apple, no android.

My thinking so far is mostly based on this:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8789/holiday-guides-2014-cots-nas-units

Both machines seem to be able to do hardware transcoding about as well as each other (720p, struggle with 1080p). I've been setting up Plex which is why I ignored the 415play, which seems inferior to both (if they ever support the hardware transcoding the TS-461 should be able to do it as well). Most of my local streaming would be through the HTPC anyway though, and I could just set up the desktop or the htpc to be the Plex server instead of running it directly on the NAS.

The Synology appears to have some business features thanks to the Rangley processor such as hardware encryption, and supposedly lower latency. Not sure to what degree either of these would be useful - they're apparently mostly useful for businesses but I'm not sure even what they'd do - better read/write performance?

I also don't have a feel for what app ecosystem is better - ananadtech seems to prefer qnap, but a lot of people seem to prefer synology instead.

Last, of course, the Synology is $150 more so if there's no real differences I'd default to the Q-NAP. Does anyone have any thoughts?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Is Xpenology not recommended anymore? I'm feeling the need to switch, but I'm not sure why :smith:

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

eightysixed posted:

Is Xpenology not recommended anymore? I'm feeling the need to switch, but I'm not sure why :smith:

I'm still using and loving it.

The only real caveat with xpenology is that you have to wait a bit when there's a new major release for them to figure out how to port it. For example DSM 5.1 came out in Nov and they're still working on porting it over. If you're OK with that then I think it's a great system to use.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

eightysixed posted:

It's actually even better than it used to be. Feels a lot less hacky in terms of hardware support.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

NewEgg has a pack of three 3TB WD Reds for $300.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

eightysixed posted:

I'm still using it. Sucks that they can't seem to get 5.1 working but 5.0 has been solid. I don't really think there's a need until there's a security issue with 5.0 that is not addressed (like the Synolocker poo poo)

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I was tasked with setting up NAS for my University research center. I got a Synology Diskstation, set it up, plugged it in, and requested a static IP from the IT people.

Only, I can't access it. I get 'Destination Host Unreachable' when pinging from my office, nothing at all when pinging from home. Everything I can find online is instructions for some automatic "Find the Diskstation on your home LAN thing" that doesn't work either. And the Diskstation has no display output so I can't do things the normal way. How I am supposed to access this thing? Do I have to take it home and set it up there then bring it back to school and plug it in?

I'm pretty confident that the static IP assignment from the University isn't the problem as I've set up a bunch of servers that way in the past.

E: the LED thing on the ethernet port is blinking like it's working.

E2: hm, if I ping (from school) using the IP address rather than the URL it works. Disregard this post for now, investigating further.

E3: OK, I'm getting "Apache2 Default Ubuntu Page". Shouldn't I be getting some portal??

Let me ask a real question: Is there any way to access this system besides through the network given that it doesn't have a display output?

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 8, 2015

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Just curious: What model did you get?

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Oh, sorry, DS412+

E: It doesn't explain the Apache page thing, but I'm guessing this is a problem caused by not being on the same subnet. Which means I will have to bring it home, I think. Ugh.

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 8, 2015

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Yeah it sounds like you requested a static IP address but never had any way to assign that to the NAS, and now you're trying to ping the NAS with it and expecting results.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Can they do static dhcp?

Also DSM runs on port 5000.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

DNova posted:

Yeah it sounds like you requested a static IP address but never had any way to assign that to the NAS, and now you're trying to ping the NAS with it and expecting results.

Wait, the NAS needs to know its IP address? I didn't have to do that with the other servers I set up. Just told IT the MAC address and where it's plugged in and they gave me an IP.

Don Lapre posted:

Can they do static dhcp?

Also DSM runs on port 5000.

Yes I think that's what it is. On the server in my office it's always the same IP at least.

Yeah, I saw that somewhere. Strangely, I get nothing on port 5000. Just the Apache welcome message on 80. Could I have accidentally triggered some kind of reset?

Anyways, I'll grab it tomorrow and bring it home for the weekend. Something definitely seems wrong though. Maybe they screwed up with the IP address request and I'm actually hitting another server in the same room.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Wait, the NAS needs to know its IP address? I didn't have to do that with the other servers I set up. Just told IT the MAC address and where it's plugged in and they gave me an IP.

Yes I think that's what it is. On the server in my office it's always the same IP at least.

Yeah, I saw that somewhere. Strangely, I get nothing on port 5000. Just the Apache welcome message on 80. Could I have accidentally triggered some kind of reset?

Anyways, I'll grab it tomorrow and bring it home for the weekend. Something definitely seems wrong though. Maybe they screwed up with the IP address request and I'm actually hitting another server in the same room.

I have the same model, and it can use a reserved DHCP address, but a couple of the DSM features want it to have a static address in there. No reason you couldn't just set the static IP to the same thing as the reserved DHCP address, as long as you told the network admins to not delete the reservation.

When I try to hit the interface for my 412+ on port 80, it automatically redirected me directly to port 5001, which is what it uses when you have HTTPS enabled. If you're seeing a default Apache welcome screen, you're either hitting a different server, or somehow activated the Apache server package.

It will probably be easier to set up at home, where you just have the one home router serving DHCP. Worst case scenario, you can log into your router and see what it gave out for an address. The 412+ has two network ports, make sure you gave your network admin the right MAC address(es).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Maybe I'm not clear on the difference between reserved DHCP vs. static address. In any case sounds like I should be all set once I set it up at home.

But another question, since it has no display output, how does one install a different OS on it? Is it even possible?