Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Sir Rolo posted:

Meanwhile, on a more nuanced corner of the internet:

I wonder what would happen to these types if they understood that this reaction is exactly what the terrorists want :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Ann Telnaes, winner of half as many Pulitzers as Ramirez, works for the Washington Post and is probably the stylish-est cartoonist out there. Unfortunately, the political animations she draws are usually only watchable on the Post's website. But this is some of her recent work.

"A cartoon defying the Paris terrorists"

"John Boehner readies himself for the vote"

"Stop the presses! SCOTUS to offer electronic files in 2016"

Just look at Clarence Thomas. :allears:

"‘I can’t breathe’: After indictment decision, Eric Garner’s final words become a symbol of anger, frustration"

"‘Ban bossy’ and the bossy women in pop culture"

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I wonder what would happen to these types if they understood that this reaction is exactly what the terrorists want :allears:

Oh they want this reaction huh?? Well what if I put . . . BACON FAT on it :twisted:

Ann Telnaes is an incredibly talented artist and Lisa Benson tries so hard to imitate her.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
My absolute favorite detail is that Clarence Thomas is silent.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I would bet good money these people think Mecca is the size of Vatican City.

I'll take it further, I'd bet decent odds on a good chunk of them thinking Mecca is literally just the Kaaba and some, like...tents or something around it I guess?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I don't think the type of person to write that would seriously be bothered with wiping out a city of 2 million Muslims. Of course its probably all bluster and they (hopefully) wouldn't actually support such a thing if it had a realistic chance of happening.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Cruel and Unusual posted:

Just look at Clarence Thomas. :allears:

Those are exceptionally good caricatures.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Brannock posted:

This is actually the sort of cartoon that Charlie Hebdo used to print all the time. If Fitzsimmons is acceptable, thus is Charlie Hebdo.

It's seriously shocking how many people in here are literally supporting the view that "Charlie Hebdo had it coming".

Still have ten pages to wade through, but my opinion is that effective satire can be done without depicting Muhammad as a troll-doll/muppet. Fitzsimmons shows a bit more respect in the caricature while portraying the same message.

Satire punches up, not down.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Triskelli posted:

Satire punches up, not down.

You think punching at the founder of a religion with a billion followers and the ludicrously powerful clerics who interpret and enforce his life's work is punching down?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Oh they want this reaction huh?? Well what if I put . . . BACON FAT on it :twisted:

"B-B-B-BACON!!?"

*terrorist hikes robe and windmills sandalled feet in place before zipping off in a cloud of dust*

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Since we're thinking about Gay Abortions, I whipped up a list of perennialy-appropriate categories, mostly taken from last year's awards but with a little bit of organization to give some guidance to voters. Technical categories are for showcasing incompetence in the noble art of editorial cortooning, while style categories are for showcasing the most odious human beings in the field.

Technical:
Laziest cartoon
Worst caricature
Most easily reinterpreted cartoon, aka A Good Cartoon
Greatest failure to achieve banality
Nonsense, this is an election year! aka least intelligible cartoon
The Ross Gosse Award for Excellence in Excessively Long or Otherwise Inappropriate Labels That Result in Overstretched or Mixed Metaphors, or Otherwise Belabor or Confuse the Point
Overall worst cartoon of the trimester (technical)

Style:
Most self-congratulatory cartoon
Least concealed bigotry in a cartoon
Worst Middle East cartoon
Worst victim-blaming cartoon
Worst cartoon about a tragedy, not otherwise specified [catch-all for cartoons that don't fall into another topical category]
[Other topical categories, to be determined]
Overall worst cartoon of the trimester (style)

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Smudgie Buggler posted:

You think punching at the founder of a religion with a billion followers and the ludicrously powerful clerics who interpret and enforce his life's work is punching down?

He's a moral figure, like Jesus or Buddha, isn't he? Swing for the clerics, swing for people that misinterpret him. :shrug:

mortal
Oct 12, 2012

Someone colorize Scalia's head and put it on King Hippo's body, TIA.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
There's an obvious tension between using satire to ridicule religious extremists (or the religion itself) and that satire reinforcing Islamophobia in a place where Islamophobia is a real and present threat. Charlie Hebdo mostly did the former imo. What's sick is people acting like the unthinking Muslim hordes are under a geas to murder those who insult the prophet

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Do...do you think these cartoons are burns specifically aimed at Mohammed himself?

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

Rorus Raz posted:

Do...do you think these cartoons are burns specifically aimed at Mohammed himself?

There's a quote from one of the cartoonists describing how not attacking Islam would be disingenuous, based on how they go against established power structures, but it's hard because of general anti-middle easterner resentment in France.

edit:

quote:

Another Charlie Hebdo cartoonist, Julien Berjeaut, or Jul, once spoke to the difficulty of making fun of Islam in France. “You can’t beat up on a minority religion in quite the way you can on the majority religion,” he said. “If there is so much hysteria provoked by these cartoons it’s because there is a lot of anti-Arab and anti-Muslim racism in Europe. But I find it totally abnormal that this business is not simply decided in the courts.”
http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/charlie-hebdos-nothing-satire?intcid=mod-yml

Team_q fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 9, 2015

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

That was mostly snark, but basically power is relative and a Muslim in the US is in a different power dynamic than one in Iran. Christianity is huge with powerful leadership and influence, but that means dick to a Christian in places with state religions that outlaw the practicing of their faith.

It's still punching down if Muslims in France have little power and influece, regardless of how powerful their religion is on a gobal scale. And no, I'm not saying Charlie Hebdo was doing that before anyone says anything.

EDIT This was written before reading the above post, but that's basically along the lines of what I'm saying.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Kelly has learned to draw in multiple styles???

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Rorus Raz posted:

No, but they're not specifically aimed at your average French muslim either. They're aimed at clerics and fanatics, who claim to represent the will of Mohammad and attempt to imitate him, viciously oppressing the communities in which they assume leadership roles in so doing.

It's precisely because muslims aren't any less intelligent or peaceful on the whole than any other large grouping of people that the vast majority of them don't go and shoot up satirical newspapers. I can think of few things more insulting to muslims generally than the 'understanding' Western latte-liberal who says, "Of course you were going to get upset by those silly cartoons in that comedy publication." Like, how loving stupid do you have to think your average adherent of Islam is that they don't know where the punches are being aimed?

Triskelli posted:

He's a moral figure, like Jesus or Buddha, isn't he? Swing for the clerics, swing for people that misinterpret him. :shrug:

That's exactly what you're doing when you draw attention to how horrific many of his deeds and sayings were. You're ridiculing by proxy anyone insane enough to think that a strict interpretation of prescriptions which were probably originally pretty conservative for 7th Century Arabia is in any way compatible with modern civilisation (i.e. fanatics). You can do this with any religion and its loonies, and Charlie Hebdo does exactly that.

The thing about non-fanatics is that they know they're not fanatics and they don't go apeshit when you make fun of fanatics.

Smudgie Buggler fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jan 9, 2015

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Exclamation Marx posted:

Urgent: Looking for 6 Cartoonists

Wait is this an actual cover they're going with?

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
So I found an old freeper thread discussing R. Crumb, wherein certain freepers bemoan their hatred for Ted Rall and his lack of talent and love Crumb because

quote:

He's put out some pretty misanthropic stuff that's a good fit with some freepers some of the time, including me. He is very politically incorrect and insulting to women, blacks, not gays as far as I've seen
It's been hypothesized before but this is pretty much what a nega-Polititoons thread would look like.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.

that RBG :gerty:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

paranoid randroid posted:

Wait is this an actual cover they're going with?

Yeah.

I reminds me of the De Gaulle cover that had cause their predecessor magazine to get banned, I mean not exactly, but in spirit.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 9, 2015

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
That is the rawest thing I have ever seen in my life.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Cartoonist tears are the best

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
It's hilarious to me that while the rest of the cartoon world is bitching about their jobs or trying way too hard to be poignant, CH is going "good news everyone, we're hiring!"

e

joeburz posted:

That's not from them, it's a mockup from Les Guignols. Wish it was real though.

:negative:

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

I don't know Scalia well enough to know why he's yelling I BET ITS A CAMERA but I cracked up.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

joeburz posted:

Whoops! Pretty good though, usually les guignols are much less funny (in my opinion).

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don't know Scalia well enough to know why he's yelling I BET ITS A CAMERA but I cracked up.

scalia is evil and gigadumb and he has admitted his rulings are sometimes based on TV shows

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Even if it isn't real, it's far more appropriate than any number of Crying Pen Saluting the Tricolor cartoons.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Pretty sure it's a reference to the Supreme Court's bizarre refusal to allow cameras at oral arguments. My grandpappy had to wait for the official transcripts, and cragnabbit you can too!

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

We don't even have to look at Kelly to find satire that's very dependent on cultural context and the ability for the audience to comprehend the tone, I mean look at this disgustingly racist dreck from goons of all people:

Dr. Killjoy fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jan 9, 2015

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Exclamation Marx posted:

Urgent: Looking for 6 Cartoonists

:stare:

One thing that I've learned the past couple of days is the differences between American satire and European satire.

Then again, in this modern communications age, those lines are blurring.
DuffelBlog: http://www.duffelblog.com/2015/01/tea-party-attack-charlie-hebdo/

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

Smudgie Buggler posted:

No, but they're not specifically aimed at your average French muslim either. They're aimed at clerics and fanatics, who claim to represent the will of Mohammad and attempt to imitate him, viciously oppressing the communities in which they assume leadership roles in so doing.

The thing about non-fanatics is that they know they're not fanatics and they don't go apeshit when you make fun of fanatics.

The fact is, though, that you can satirize the extremist views of fanatics without portraying said fanatics in a racist manner. For me, that's really been the sticking point when people are saying, "You don't understand! It's actually satire of people who believe these things!" Moreso than words, pictures have an emotional and cultural currency and I feel it really weakens the satire to portray the individuals one is satirizing in a racist manner. I feel like I haven't seen a serious defense of this, other than people saying that French humor is necessarily coarse and scatological. But humor can be coarse and provocative without being racist.

For example, take the "1000 lashes if you don't laugh" cover. What would have been lost from that cartoon if the artist had drawn the character in a way that indicated he was Muslim without using racist indicators? To me, it would have been a more powerful satire because its reach would have been broadened and the message - hey! these guys are saying crazy and terrible things! - wouldn't be lost in the muddle of a strongly negatively loaded image.

For a counter-example, Bors made a comic last year about racial attitudes towards open carry. It featured a white character telling a black character "Now turn white! Be a white person now!" This was also a satirical portrayal of extremist views with a racial motive, but it didn't rely on racism to carry the message!

Maybe my objection is partially stylistic - Latuff's images are on the whole more effective than Rall's partially due to artistic finesse. Maybe if you want to do great satire you should refine your style a little more so you don't look like a racist rear end in a top hat every time you try to draw a Muslim.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

Funny you should mention Latuff as a good example of satire because this thread has spent dozens of pages going around and around as to whether his cartoons were antisemitic. :rolleye:

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

He changed the attribution from "UN speech" to "motivational speaker" for whatever reason.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

Okay, from what I recall about the "controversy" with the rape thing is that Rolling Stone pumped out an article about the experiences of one woman who said she was in a gangrape, some conservative blogger made a concern-trolling critique of the article, and all right wingers think the story was faked now as a result? Or at least they did so a month ago when people actually cared about the story - which assuming the two week delay still holds true means Tinsley started writing these even when noone was talking about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

• Locked thread