Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yosuke posted:

Yeah, I got that. It's more, he goes "Try not to die" which is basically "Well, it's not entirely my fault if you get hit". It's just how he also reacted when he killed his instructor way back when. Though it was actually the full "If he didn't pilot specifically, he wouldn't have died!"

Yeah, he does seem to blame them for it, which is interesting from a character perspective. Bellri doesn't like taking responsibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
As far as I see it, he's trying his best not to kill anyone so that if anyone actually does die then he can honestly argue that it was unintentional.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Noredo is frequently shown fidgeting and fooling around with her slingshot. It's just something she does. People fidget and move around and do things besides just stand still. It is what they do.

I think you vastly underestimate the damage that can be caused by a rock fired from a slingshot. Doing so in zero gravity in a maintenance bay is just asking for someone to be injured or something to be damaged.

quote:

She is shooting at the beams dispersed by the nets in order to disperse them completely. They say this onscreen.

Huh, funny, last I checked beams usually look like... you know, beams. My point was that they show Raraiya shooting and we see an explosion... then she just starts firing at nothing. We're told there are beams there, but sure as gently caress don't actually see them.

quote:

Yes. it recovers damage. This was stated in the second episode. Also Bellri wasn't being Kira Yamato.

No it wasn't. Bellri says "It looks the same as when I got out of it." which I guess you are supposed to interpret as it recovers damage. But it sure as gently caress didn't look damaged at the end of the first episode after the scuffle with Bellri and the 1010th fighting engineers, but we sure as gently caress don't see it. That said, my question was an actual question, has the G-self actually taken damage in the show to anything other than it's backpack? Well, backpacks if you include the reflector. Because I actually don't think that it has.

And yes, yes he is. He's delimbing suits in an OP mobile suit while repeatedly saying that he doesn't want to kill them. The only difference is that he isn't really all that consistent about it when push comes to shove.

quote:

I don't think Bellri really needed to reiterate his desire to not kill people three (was it more?) times, but that's about the extent to which I agree with the Kira comparison. Also, I don't see how the G-Self and its arsenal of largely useless upgrades are more "Mary Sue"-ish than early 00 CB or Gundam Wing.

quote:

I have to wonder if Bellri is saying the typical (I think it was largely Kamille who pioneered this, but I could be wrong) Gundam notion of "If you haven't come out here, you wouldn't have died!" statements to to push the blame off himself incase he does actually shoot someone down, at least from the mental point (since you know, no one can actually hear him). If only because he makes a lot of effort to disable, yet has no commentary when he actually completely blows up one of the retreating dudes with the beam cannons.

I'll agree that Bellri is more interesting and better written than Kira, but the only difference between him and Kira in combat is that Bellri isn't being written as so overpowered that he can always delimb his enemy, merely that he can do it most of the time.

As far as the G-Self goes, I have to disagree. The Kyrios is outright captured nine episodes into 00, and they'd have lost outright in episode fifteen without access to the thrones. Thus far the G-Self hasn't actually taken a scratch, let alone been in real danger. Wing is a little closer, but by episode nineteen the deathscythe was totally scrapped, and I suspect we aren't going to see that with any of the G-Reco lead machines.

Caros
May 14, 2008

quote:

He's basically saying "don't make me kill you because I will!" Which is why the Kira comparison falls flat. Bellri WILL kill you, he just doesn't want to.

So will Kira.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGBhVkENTcw&t=62s

Caros fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jan 9, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The way it's been shown so far, the G-Self isn't actually all that special. Most of its armaments are either standard equipment (Raraiya mentions this episode that beam sabers + beam rifle are straight up bare minimum for Towasanga), or situational add-ons that are explicitly wonky prototypes. The craziest thing the G-Self has done are those weird energy ghost things, and nobody seems particularly surprised about them. Admittedly that could just be because everyone in this show is still really chill about everything, but it could also just be fairly regular Towasangan tech. I mean, the new enemy grunts were chosen over the G-Self for mass production after all.

All signs point to Bellri just being an amazing pilot.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

I imagine there's just a slight difference between two bosses (his confirmed straightup kills post Nicol (lol) is Rau and Stellar) over mainly faceless dudes though, whereas Bell at least has failed more than enough in this regard. Obviously this is getting into a really inane line of logic as Kira is pretty flawless in taking out swaths of grunts due to stock footage.

It all depends what happens if we actually do get a big bad in that kind of situation for him to face, so far it's all been pretty standard.

Caros
May 14, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

The way it's been shown so far, the G-Self isn't actually all that special. Most of its armaments are either standard equipment (Raraiya mentions this episode that beam sabers + beam rifle are straight up bare minimum for Towasanga), or situational add-ons that are explicitly wonky prototypes. The craziest thing the G-Self has done are those weird energy ghost things, and nobody seems particularly surprised about them. Admittedly that could just be because everyone in this show is still really chill about everything, but it could also just be fairly regular Towasangan tech. I mean, the new enemy grunts were chosen over the G-Self for mass production after all.

Quite possibly true. Most of my complaints about the Mary Sueness of the G-Self are when it pulls something completely new out of its rear end without explanation. Energy Ghosts, The glowing left punch from episode ten, the short ranged moonlight butterfly from episode three, and so forth. I mean I suppose its not any worse than psychoframe wackiness from zeta onwards, but its still pretty grating, especially in conjunction with a mobile suit that never gets scratched.

Yosuke posted:

I imagine there's just a slight difference between two bosses (his confirmed straightup kills post Nicol (lol) is Rau and Stellar) over mainly faceless dudes though, whereas Bell at least has failed more than enough in this regard. Obviously this is getting into a really inane line of logic as Kira is pretty flawless in taking out swaths of grunts due to stock footage.

It all depends what happens if we actually do get a big bad in that kind of situation for him to face, so far it's all been pretty standard.

Oh I know, I was just being straight up pedantic for laughs there there. :)

Honestly the real difference is that Kira (and Kio I suppose) are self-righteous as gently caress about it while Bellri seems more like a teenager playing counterstrike against his friends. Its much less annoying out of Bellri, but it is kind of boring when the protagonist is in such little danger that he can go out of his way not to kill people and still shoot down three guys in a matter of seconds.

Caros fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jan 9, 2015

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

And probably a Newtype too given the Towasangan comments this episode.

Hey, you know what we haven't seen yet? People peeing in their mobile suit cockpits.... IN SPAAAAAAAAAAACE!

Caros
May 14, 2008

Midjack posted:

And probably a Newtype too given the Towasangan comments this episode.

Hey, you know what we haven't seen yet? People peeing in their mobile suit cockpits.... IN SPAAAAAAAAAAACE!

We did get a hot shower scene tho. Complete with weird hole in the wall... thing.

Credit where credit is due, G-Reco might have done a laughably insulting job with Aida, but their fanservice isn't gender biased. Also Bellri telling the Haro to shut up was pretty good.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Caros posted:

We did get a hot shower scene tho.

Credit where credit is due, G-Reco might have done a laughably insulting job with Aida, but their fanservice isn't gender biased. Also Bellri telling the Haro to shut up was pretty good.

I appreciated that the shower had a headpiece so you don't inhale a bunch of free floating water - can't say they don't pay attention to details of life in this show.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Now I think neither of you are paying attention, because I know we've seen space toilet action.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Midjack posted:

I appreciated that the shower had a headpiece so you don't inhale a bunch of free floating water - can't say they don't pay attention to details of life in this show.

Yeah, its the little details like that which are most of the reason I still watch G-Reco. That and the sunk cost fallacy.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel
Personally my favorite detail was one of the guys asking which way was up. Kinda hammers how "well" everyone is equipped for space!

I'm honestly not bothered by the lack of damage at least at this point because he's...honestly not been doing things where conventional weapons can get him. Or with the Torque and the Assault thing, the G-Self has been basically housed in something and in the latter's case, something that is really not gonna be close enough to hit.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Caros posted:

And yes, yes he is. He's delimbing suits in an OP mobile suit while repeatedly saying that he doesn't want to kill them. The only difference is that he isn't really all that consistent about it when push comes to shove.

The Towasanga guys are the only ones that are actively trying to kill him in combat though. Even the Mask Corps were under orders to recover the G-Self intact.

Regarding the "Sister" remark in the preview, I'll bet rather than them being directly related it's more of a joke due to some shared lineage.

Caros posted:

As far as the G-Self goes, I have to disagree. The Kyrios is outright captured nine episodes into 00, and they'd have lost outright in episode fifteen without access to the thrones. Thus far the G-Self hasn't actually taken a scratch, let alone been in real danger. Wing is a little closer, but by episode nineteen the deathscythe was totally scrapped, and I suspect we aren't going to see that with any of the G-Reco lead machines.

Celestial Being was up against highly-trained military spec-ops forces who were on the ball and actively learning how to counteract the Gundam's advantages. The Capital Army aren't much more than proud rookies with basic training and snappy uniforms, whose basic strategy is "We will win, cause we are the Capital Army :smuggo:." We've seen the entirety of their actual capable pilots, both of whom were stolen from the Capital Guard and one of which is dead.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Tomino wrote some later episodes where the g-self loses.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

He also rewrote the ending due to feedback he got from the voice actors while doing a recording session, which is interesting.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Sharkopath posted:

His words on the subject (unless it came from a different interview / speech / thing than the one I read):

Yoshiyuki Tomino posted:

Yesterday or the day before, I was talking with (Kenichi) Yoshida, the main animator, about what to do (about the final episode). We've got this genius on staff named (Akira) Yasuda, the mecha designer, who kept spitting out ideas that completely ignored our schedule. And if we included all those ideas, no one would ever be able to beat the G-Self! So then we started talking about what to do instead. Well, yesterday, we figured it out. Look forward to the final episode, everyone, because we changed friggin' everything (from our original plans)! So we don't have time to be sitting around here chatting with you!

He was very grumpy at the time of this event.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Sharkopath posted:

He also rewrote the ending due to feedback he got from the voice actors while doing a recording session, which is interesting.

And this may have actually been at the same event:

Yoshiyuki Tomino posted:

After hearing [the four voice actors'] voices here in person, the events of the story are changing inside my head!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
It's nice to see that lucid Raraiya's actually a fairly good MS pilot. She was swatting particle beams down pretty easily considering she was using a mobile suit she'd never piloted before, and for all of a few minutes at most.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Oh yeah it was the same event, the screening for episode 13-15 they did.

The translations I saw were different, but I trust your translation work more.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

To be fair, most of the poo poo the G-Self pulls has at least been sorta consistent. It poops out photon battery dust and then that either fucks with other suits' electronics, works as a shield, or just powers the suit up, and I think that last one was only in the episode with the attack on titan director. Considering it's the suit they rejected for mass production, I'm looking forward to seeing what the suit the Towasangans actually picked to go forward with can do. The G-Lucifer is the first thing we've seen with bits, isn't it?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caros posted:

I think you vastly underestimate the damage that can be caused by a rock fired from a slingshot. Doing so in zero gravity in a maintenance bay is just asking for someone to be injured or something to be damaged.

If your argument here is "this show about giant mechanical robots fighting with lasers in space doesn't realistically recognize the danger of a slingshot" then yes, you are correct, but it's kind of a dumb complaint. It isn't trying to be Hyper-Realistic.

Caros posted:

Huh, funny, last I checked beams usually look like... you know, beams. My point was that they show Raraiya shooting and we see an explosion... then she just starts firing at nothing. We're told there are beams there, but sure as gently caress don't actually see them.

Beam weapons being dispersed or countered by other weapons is something Gundam has done before. Kamille's Beam Confuse in Zeta Gundam is actually a fairly famous example of him dispersing a beam over a wider range. The nets have the same effect but still leave damaging beams behind (as, again, Kamille's Beam Confuse did) which are then dispersed by other weapons.

You do in fact see them. People are shooting them down earlier in the scene with the G-Arcane/Reksnow and the nets.

Caros posted:

Aida isn't a good pilot. (though she is getting better.) That isn't a flaw when it is a recognized character trait. Nor is it sexist when we've seen talented and capable main character female pilots elsewhere in the series. Even Raraiya this episode appears to be fairly good.

Caros posted:

No he isn't. Kira Yamato straight-up was delimbing people to prevent them from killing others or to prevent them from being killed themselves and did so because he was a perfect god who can't kill people.

Bellri's entire thing is that he can and will kill people. This second part is important. "If I am can, I won't kill you, but I'm not making any promises." He kills someone entirely by accident this episode even. This is where the difference comes into play. Banagher is not a pacifist. He isn't reluctant to fight. He blames his opponents if anything. He isn't saying "stop this fighting" or anything. He's saying "get out of the way or I might kill you dead!"

Caros posted:

Quite possibly true. Most of my complaints about the Mary Sueness of the G-Self are when it pulls something completely new out of its rear end without explanation. Energy Ghosts, The glowing left punch from episode ten, the short ranged moonlight butterfly from episode three, and so forth. I mean I suppose its not any worse than psychoframe wackiness from zeta onwards, but its still pretty grating, especially in conjunction with a mobile suit that never gets scratched.

The G-Self has pretty consistent powersets. It can screw with electronics, project images of itself and make a barrier. Everything else it can do comes from the backpacks which are pretty absurd but fairly coherent in their gimmicks.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jan 9, 2015

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

ImpAtom posted:

No he isn't. Kira Yamato straight-up was delimbing people to prevent them from killing others or to prevent them from being killed themselves and did so because he was a perfect god who can't kill people.

Bellri's entire thing is that he can and will kill people. This second part is important. "If I am can, I won't kill you, but I'm not making any promises." He kills someone entirely by accident this episode even. This is where the difference comes into play. Banagher is not a pacifist. He isn't reluctant to fight. He blames his opponents if anything. He isn't saying "stop this fighting" or anything. He's saying "get out of the way or I might kill you dead!"

Let's be fair: Kira totally kills people once his standard tactic of delimbing is mildly inconvenienced he sees no other alternative. Like the moment he stabbed the Minerva cannon and it was about to fire as killed like a dozen members of the crew.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Celestial Being was up against highly-trained military spec-ops forces who were on the ball and actively learning how to counteract the Gundam's advantages. The Capital Army aren't much more than proud rookies with basic training and snappy uniforms, whose basic strategy is "We will win, cause we are the Capital Army :smuggo:." We've seen the entirety of their actual capable pilots, both of whom were stolen from the Capital Guard and one of which is dead.

Celestial Being was also composed of (mostly) highly trained pilots in equipment that totally eclipsed that of their opponents by generational gaps. Bellri, by contrast, isn't much more of a rookie himself in a machine that may or may not be hideously more advanced than the best they have. I think its a fair comparison to show that Celestial Being gets hosed up pretty severely while Bellri dances around without a scratch.

Hell, Sergei nearly takes Exia's head off in the third episode.

quote:

Yay! The G-self might actually take damage and/or lose a fight in the finale! Some actual tension to look forward to.

quote:

It's nice to see that lucid Raraiya's actually a fairly good MS pilot. She was swatting particle beams down pretty easily considering she was using a mobile suit she'd never piloted before, and for all of a few minutes at most.

Yeah, it really was kind of nice to see Raraiya do something. Still not sure why they didn't just combine brain damaged Raraiya and lucid Raraiya into one character named Raraiya who they introduce without brain damage at around episode twelve where she actually starts doing things, but I guess people enjoyed when she was a moe blob so I am no one to judge.

quote:

Beam weapons being dispersed or countered by other weapons is something Gundam has done before. Kamille's Beam Confuse in Zeta Gundam is actually a fairly famous example of him dispersing a beam over a wider range. The nets have the same effect but still leave damaging beams behind (as, again, Kamille's Beam Confuse did) which are then dispersed by other weapons.

You do in fact see them. People are shooting them down earlier in the scene with the G-Arcane/Reksnow and the nets.

I feel like I'm responding to some sort of chat bot that failed the turing test.

Yes, I understand that beams can be dispersed. Go back and watch the scene with Raraiya again. My complaint was that they show her shooting off into empty space at what we are told are beams. I thought it was funny that they have her visibly firing at nothing, since if she were shooting at a beam you'd see... you know... a bright particle beam of some sort or another.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Caros posted:

I feel like I'm responding to some sort of chat bot that failed the turing test.

lol

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caros posted:

Yes, I understand that beams can be dispersed. Go back and watch the scene with Raraiya again. My complaint was that they show her shooting off into empty space at what we are told are beams. I thought it was funny that they have her visibly firing at nothing, since if she were shooting at a beam you'd see... you know... a bright particle beam of some sort or another.

Did you watch the episode? After they dispersed they're thin barely-visible beams of energy and characters (including Aida) are shooting them at long distances. Also you say we 'don't see it' when Raraiya fires offscreen and it cuts to the explosion so of course we don't.

Pureauthor posted:

Let's be fair: Kira totally kills people once his standard tactic of delimbing is mildly inconvenienced he sees no other alternative. Like the moment he stabbed the Minerva cannon and it was about to fire as killed like a dozen members of the crew.

Kira kills people by accident (with the exception of Rau) while Bellri's thing is that he will kill you and he won't particularly hold back. That's why they're emphasizing him saying "don't YOU get hit, this is just a warning shot" and then whoops, he flat-out murders a dude with it,.

It's up for debate if this becomes an interesting character point or not but so far Bellri's pretty consistent about blaming other people for having to kill them. I'm fairly sure we're supposed to find that uncomfortable, especially with the comments this episode about how from the outside the G-Self looks like Raraiya become a blood-thirsty monster.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 9, 2015

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

She hits one with her first shot.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

They're beyond visual range, but shes hitting them.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Raraiya has really good eyesight, remember.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

If your argument here is "this show about giant mechanical robots fighting with lasers in space doesn't realistically recognize the danger of a slingshot" then yes, you are correct, but it's kind of a dumb complaint. It isn't trying to be Hyper-Realistic.

No, my argument was that this was an incredibly retarded scene when you think about it for more than two seconds. I also would contend that yes, G-reco is doing a lot of things to try and be pretty realistic such as the nets, the vacuum troopers and so forth, which makes poo poo like this even more jarring

Going by the dialogue in the scene from Noredo and the stupid Haro thing she is looking for Raraiya. Apparently she took time out of doing that to load her slingshot and fire a high velocity debris indoors for shits and giggles before going "Oh yeah, I was looking for someone." I mean, I guess its possible that Noredo had to shoot the ship's Xenomorph or something that was harassing her from offscreen, but this is just bizarre and frankly silly behavior typical of G-Reco. Your reasoning is that people don't sit still while talking, which I agree with. They also don't shoot slingshots indoors for literally no loving reason.

quote:

Aida isn't a good pilot. (though she is getting better.) That isn't a flaw when it is a recognized character trait. Nor is it sexist when we've seen talented and capable main character female pilots elsewhere in the series. Even Raraiya this episode appears to be fairly good.

Mick Jack is not a main character. Raraiya might be good, but considering all we have seen her do is shoot at beams its funny to me that you say that she appears to be good.

As far as the Aida issue, if it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, and is an incompetent female pilot in anime I'm going to call it a duck even if they have characters point out that she isn't very good. One of the problems with Aida's incompetence as a pilot is that so far nothing has been done with it. She is a bad pilot, she launches with the troops every battle and then gets told to go back and guard the ship whereupon she is pretty much seen only one or two shots where she fires at something offscreen that she probably doesn't hit. Yes, G-recon has ten more episodes to make use of the Chekhov's gun that is Aida's lovely piloting, but I think it is way more likely she remains largely sidelined in combat through to the end of the series.

The fact that the show talks about how bad Aida is does not negate anything unless the show does something with that character trait. You don't fix Cagalli in seed by inserting a couple of lines of Minerva bridge crew going "Wow she sure is a lovely pilot", and frankly Cagalli was a stronger female lead than Aida.

quote:

So... exactly what I said then? Bellri is delimbing enemies because he is bullshit OP and just has less conviction in trying not to kill people when push comes to shove. Glad we agree.

quote:

The G-Self has pretty consistent powersets. It can screw with electronics, project images of itself and make a barrier. Everything else it can do comes from the backpacks which are pretty absurd but fairly coherent in their gimmicks.

Uh huh. One of these days I'm just going to post some nice things about jewish people so I can watch you post an anti-semitic screed out of your subconscious desire to believe that anything I post in this thread must be wrong.

The G-Self has pulled random powerups out of its rear end on multiple occasions. Screwing with electronics, projecting images of itself, making a barrier... I'm not sure if you're including the moonlight butterfly thing from episode four there, or the doomsday photon punch from episode ten. Throw in the shield and you've got the G-self pulling something completely new out of its rear end in five out of fifteen episodes. Moreover most of these things are things we see once off and then never again despite the fact that they'd be really useful.

Compare that to other gundams. How many things does Exia pull out of its rear end with no explanation. Transam? That physical blades cut through shields? The 00 is a little worse, but I think that's limited to two or three over the course of its series. The wing? How about the strike? Most mobile suits don't spontaneously develop brand new abilities out of nowhere when the director needs a showy way to end an fight, that's all I'm saying.

Caros fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jan 9, 2015

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Caros posted:

Uh huh. One of these days I'm just going to post some nice things about jewish people so I can watch you post an anti-semitic screed out of your subconscious desire to believe that anything I post in this thread must be wrong.

lmao

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caros posted:

As far as the Aida issue, if it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, and is an incompetent female pilot in anime I'm going to call it a duck even if they have characters point out that she isn't very good. One of the problems with Aida's incompetence as a pilot is that so far nothing has been done with it. She is a bad pilot, she launches with the troops every battle and then gets told to go back and guard the ship whereupon she is pretty much seen only one or two shots where she fires at something offscreen that she probably doesn't hit. Yes, G-recon has ten more episodes to make use of the Chekhov's gun that is Aida's lovely piloting, but I think it is way more likely she remains largely sidelined in combat through to the end of the series.

The fact that the show talks about how bad Aida is does not negate anything unless the show does something with that character trait. You don't fix Cagalli in seed by inserting a couple of lines of Minerva bridge crew going "Wow she sure is a lovely pilot", and frankly Cagalli was a stronger female lead than Aida.

A female character isn't strong just because they're a good fighter. Aida is one of the more motivated and proactive characters. She is the entire reason they're going to the moon in the first place.

Also yes, we see Aida getting more talented. Hell, this episode we literally see Aida's shots hit! They show giant electrical sparks when they do. You ignored that entirely.

Caros posted:

No, dude. You're just kind of being dumb about this show. You don't like it and so you pull the equivalent of crossing your arms and pouting and going "it's a dumb bad show, why doesn't everyone agree with me?" when you literally ignore things that happen onscreen and try to turn molehills into mountains. I don't know why you're insisting on watching it because you want it to be bad at this point if just to prove you Right On The Internet.

And whatever, it's cool to dislike a show, but you tie it into ranting about the show and then getting snippy and upset when people don't agree with you.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 9, 2015

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Ultra King Pedant Caros is always right, and if he isn't you are antisemitic.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I don't actually watch the episode and miss most of the dialogue and character interaction because I'm too busy trying to count how many shots aida took so I can prove Tomino is more sexist than Fukuda, but you only dislike me because I'm right.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Caros: Wait... Raraiya is from the moon.... they never mentioned or hinted that before ever.... nice asspull Tomino.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Sharkopath posted:

Ultra King Pedant Caros is always right, and if he isn't you are antisemitic.

Yes, because that is exactly what I meant by that. :jerkbag:

quote:

A female character isn't strong just because they're a good fighter. Aida is one of the more motivated and proactive characters. She is the entire reason they're going to the moon in the first place.

Also yes, we see Aida getting more talented. Hell, this episode we literally see Aida's shots hit! They show giant electrical sparks when they do. You ignored that entirely.

I didn't say they needed to be, I said, and I quote:

quote:

Because I think Aida is a laughably pointless and insulting character. She launches in every episode and is told (in almost every episode) to go back to the ship and protect it, which she does without complaint because I guess she thinks she is worthless too. The guy in the loving reckton launches out into combat, but Aida in a Gundam can't get near combat. That is pretty insulting for a female lead who is supposed to be a pilot, and it will remain so unless the show actually ties it together with a character arc where she refuses to go make everyone a sandwich when the boys tell her to and actually goes out to contribute.

quote:

No, dude. You're just kind of being dumb about this show. You don't like it and so you pull the equivalent of crossing your arms and pouting and going "it's a dumb bad show, why doesn't everyone agree with me?" when you literally ignore things that happen onscreen and try to turn molehills into mountains. I don't know why you're insisting on watching it because you want it to be bad at this point if just to prove you Right On The Internet.

Honestly? At this point I'm half just posting to watch you hilariously blow up every week when I point out minor things I thought were silly. I'm not 100% joking when I say that I think I could get you to disagree with me on the color of the sky at this point, and while part of it is that I like critiquing this show, I won't deny that it is fun watching you dance. Seriously, you went to bat to explain why Noredo shooting her slingshot totally makes sense rather than just shrugging and accepting that I thought it was silly.

Frankly I think you ought to stop to consider why you reply to me all the time, especially about poo poo as minor as the slingshot.

quote:

Caros: Wait... Raraiya is from the moon.... they never mentioned or hinted that before ever.... nice asspull Tomino.

I'm curious... you do know there is an edit button right? You don't have to throw down a new post every time you have an idea.

Caros fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 9, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caros posted:

Honestly? At this point I'm half just posting to watch you hilariously blow up every week when I point out minor things I thought were silly. I'm not 100% joking when I say that I think I could get you to disagree with me on the color of the sky at this point, and while part of it is that I like critiquing this show, I won't deny that it is fun watching you dance. Seriously, you went to bat to explain why Noredo shooting her slingshot totally makes sense rather than just shrugging and accepting that I thought it was silly.

Okay, so you're just kind of a shithead who isn't arguing in good faith. Well, that makes it clear at least.

Edit: Honestly, I thought of editing that to be softer but nah. You're actually watching a show you dislike just to sulk about it on the internet and get me to 'hilariously blow up' which I find kind of sad. If "actually discussing plot points" is blowing up then sure, I'll be glad to 'blow up' plenty. I enjoy discussing the show and doing so tends to make me look at things I overlooked previously.

At the end of the day I'm enjoying myself. You're the one making bizarre accusations of anti-semitism or whatever. v:shobon:v

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 9, 2015

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Joke's on you, I was only pretending to be insufferable.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Okay, so you're just kind of a shithead who isn't arguing in good faith. Well, that makes it clear at least.

At the end of the day I'm enjoying myself. You're the one making bizarre accusations of anti-semitism or whatever.

Oh no, I am arguing in good faith. Its just that most weeks I wouldn't bother posting more than "Meh, boring episode. Slingshot thing was dumb." You at least make it entertaining to argue about what is otherwise a pretty lackluster gundam show in my opinion. I enjoy debate, which is why I spend most of my time in D&D.

For what its worth I'm not trying to be an rear end here, I just think it's kind of amusing how you will literally argue against every single point or post that I make, regardless of how large or small, to the point where I think I could post "G-reco is a good show" and you would reply with a scathing rebuke about how G-reco is poo poo.

As for the latter part of this, go back and read what I posted, or the part where I talked about how you'd argue the color of the sky. Part of the problem you have arguing is that you continually think I'm saying things that I am quite clearly not saying.

Caros fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

If you manage to make 40 posts in a row without any interruption, you gain incredible, godlike power and wealth.

They call it... One Page.

• Locked thread