Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Well I mean what info do you need about it? A lot of us here do it and would be glad to help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Anybody have a link to a good kegging guide? I have no equipment for it but I'm going to pick up a couple brand new ball lock kegs for $75 each.

I thought this was a pretty good getting started guide: http://handsonbrewing.com/brewers-reference/process/kegging/

ExtremistCow
Oct 15, 2005

Cpt.Wacky posted:

I thought this was a pretty good getting started guide: http://handsonbrewing.com/brewers-reference/process/kegging/

This one too https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/attachments/0000/1312/Summerzym95-Kegging_How-To.pdf

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

more falafel please posted:

I get 70-75% typically. Unless I'm trying to do a small beer, then I'll estimate 80% and still usually overshoot :/

This is me too pretty much. I get about 70%+ on big beers too; I sparge SLOW AS gently caress. Bumped me a good 15-20% in efficiency.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Jacobey000 posted:

This is me too pretty much. I get about 70%+ on big beers too; I sparge SLOW AS gently caress. Bumped me a good 15-20% in efficiency.

I get 60 consistently, which I guess is good cause it's consistent. Going to introduce a dunk sparge to my biab to hopefully hit 70. I'll be so drat pleased if I hit 70,

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Jacobey000 posted:

That reminds me, why is it that you are supposed to drain your mash tun slowly? I get 70% almost exactly every time (except last time I got 78%, go go new mill!) and I just open the valve on my mash tun all the way to drain as fast as I can. Does draining slower help efficiency?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Glottis posted:

That reminds me, why is it that you are supposed to drain your mash tun slowly? I get 70% almost exactly every time (except last time I got 78%, go go new mill!) and I just open the valve on my mash tun all the way to drain as fast as I can. Does draining slower help efficiency?

If you're batch sparging, there's no reason to drain slowly unless draining quickly causes a stuck lauter. Counterintuitively for me draining slowly makes it stick, I have much less issue when it's draining fast. For fly sparging though, the more time the water has in contact with the grain the better efficiency you get, plus the slower you go the less likely you are to get channeling.

Bobsledboy
Jan 10, 2007

burning airlines give you so much more
Hey guys, what's the best practice for using pectinol? I'm doing a table saison this weekend and half of it I will be adding cascara (dried coffee cherries) after primary. I read that pectic enzymes are inhibited by alcohol so should I add extra when I add the cascara or maybe let them sit in a tea with the pectinol for a while before adding?

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Bobsledboy posted:

Hey guys, what's the best practice for using pectinol? I'm doing a table saison this weekend and half of it I will be adding cascara (dried coffee cherries) after primary. I read that pectic enzymes are inhibited by alcohol so should I add extra when I add the cascara or maybe let them sit in a tea with the pectinol for a while before adding?

Ive used pectic enzyme in alcohol. It works fine but you need to use more than if you added it before alcohol.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
Has anyone with a kegerator ever experienced where when you start a pour after sitting idle, it will start to pour, then pause making a sound similar to when a keg is tapped, but then resume normally?

It's just been with this keg of deviant dales so I'm not sure if there's a relation or something wrong with my sanke coupler

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

MickRaider posted:

Has anyone with a kegerator ever experienced where when you start a pour after sitting idle, it will start to pour, then pause making a sound similar to when a keg is tapped, but then resume normally?

It's just been with this keg of deviant dales so I'm not sure if there's a relation or something wrong with my sanke coupler

Like it pours, quick sputter, pours again? I've always assumed the first part is what was in the line, and the cough is because some CO2 came out of solution while it was idle, or otherwise got in the line.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R
Woo, finally caught up on a 2 year homebrew thread backlog. What up, homebrew thread?

I've been brewing for almost 10 years, but I've probably only made 4 batches in the past 4 years. That's all about to change, though. I helped my Fiancee brew her first batch before Thanksgiving, and she really enjoyed it (and got me a bunch of brewing related Christmas presents), so I'm going to try and take brewing more seriously this year. It looks like the local homebrew clubs have improved a lot in the past 6 years, the number of microbreweries in town is set to double next year, and we have a great homebrew store.

As part of this, I threw together some beer bottle crates earlier this week. I was tired of cardboard cases falling apart and being a hassle.

Finally, a question: Does anyone have a good go-to winter spiced ale recipe?

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Zuph posted:

Finally, a question: Does anyone have a good go-to winter spiced ale recipe?

This definitely isn't a go-to since I've never made it before, and it's a lot different than what most people want in a winter warmer but this is what I'm brewing this weekend:

50% munich
35% vienna
10% honey malt
5% caramunich

Nobleish hops to 20 IBU @ 60 min

4 oz ginger and 2-3 cinnamon sticks @ 5 min

White Labs Edinburgh fermented @ 66-68*F

OG 1.046

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

more falafel please posted:

Like it pours, quick sputter, pours again? I've always assumed the first part is what was in the line, and the cough is because some CO2 came out of solution while it was idle, or otherwise got in the line.

Yeah that's what happens. I'm just confused because it's never happened until this keg.

On another topic. I found out last april I have a Hop allergy (brutal, I know)

I've given up beer for a few months to try and get my allergies under control and see if I can get a better understanding on how to manage this.

I bought a filter kit a while ago to try and reduce particulates in my homebrew. Is there anyone out there with experience, or heard of someone, with a similar situation? I really don't want to give up my hobby or passion for beer.

I'm wondering if there's a way to see which hops I'm more sensitive to than other, or some way of defining it more specifically.

I guess there's always the magical world of Sours, meads, and ciders to dive into.

MickRaider fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jan 8, 2015

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Zuph posted:

As part of this, I threw together some beer bottle crates earlier this week. I was tired of cardboard cases falling apart and being a hassle.
I (very poorly) built some crates based off of that design a couple of years ago. I extended the vertical end members so that they would interlock together, which works in theory, but when none of the crates are quite square... :ughh:

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

MickRaider posted:

Yeah that's what happens. I'm just confused because it's never happened until this keg.

I've given up beer for a few months to try and get my allergies under control and see if I can get a better understanding on how to manage this.

I bought a filter kit a while ago to try and reduce particulates in my homebrew. Is there anyone out there with experience, or heard of someone, with a similar situation? I really don't want to give up my hobby or passion for beer.

I'm wondering if there's a way to see which hops I'm more sensitive to than other, or some way of defining it more specifically.

I guess there's always the magical world of Sours, meads, and ciders to dive into.

I have no real knowledge of anyone who has experienced it, but I'd be curious to know what in the hops causes the allergy. Maybe a small amount of high alpha acid hops early in the boil to add some bitterness would be ok if you cooled quickly to try to get them out of suspension and then did a cold crash and secondary to clear it up more. Maybe even some fining adjuncts?

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
You could also try gruits. Im sure theres plenty of other bittering things you can add. But yeah that sucks and i hope im never in a situation where i cant do the one thing i love.

Bobsledboy
Jan 10, 2007

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Ive used pectic enzyme in alcohol. It works fine but you need to use more than if you added it before alcohol.

Cool, thanks!

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Josh Wow posted:

This definitely isn't a go-to since I've never made it before, and it's a lot different than what most people want in a winter warmer but this is what I'm brewing this weekend:

50% munich
35% vienna
10% honey malt
5% caramunich

Nobleish hops to 20 IBU @ 60 min

4 oz ginger and 2-3 cinnamon sticks @ 5 min

White Labs Edinburgh fermented @ 66-68*F

OG 1.046

I just ran a 5 litrestarter of Edinburgh :) it's going into my smoked bourbon barrel imperial stout which won't actually be drunk for at least 6 months yet. I think this stout is my most complex beer by a long shot (bar maybe heady topper or its Australian hopped cousin, Chazzwazzers Hopfuck). Usually I use maybe 3 malts at most and one or two hops. Nice and basic is good.

On topic though WLP028 owns

Bobsledboy
Jan 10, 2007

McSpergin posted:

...Chazzwazzers Hopfuck...

Stealing this

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

MickRaider posted:

I've given up beer for a few months to try and get my allergies under control and see if I can get a better understanding on how to manage this. I bought a filter kit a while ago to try and reduce particulates in my homebrew. Is there anyone out there with experience, or heard of someone, with a similar situation? I really don't want to give up my hobby or passion for beer. I'm wondering if there's a way to see which hops I'm more sensitive to than other, or some way of defining it more specifically.

If this were me, I'd use it as an opportunity to make ciders and meads like crazy - and maybe even start a hive. I'd also make friends with an orchard. The difference between "drinking cider" and "cider for making" is striking; I didn't think there could be that big of a difference before we did a group buy on the ladder. That stuff is amazing.

Also: if you are looking for something to replace at least PART of the hops - experiment with grapefruit, and/or bitter almond (apricot pits) for the bittering part. In china they use bitter melon for all of their bitterness in most of their beers due to the price of hops there. I'm sure you could find at least a way around it. If you aren't allergic to the oils and are more allergic to the organic material - I'd check out hop shots and see if you can 'stand' those in lieu of flavor and aroma hops.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Coffee milk stout didn't turn out as planned.
Expected OG 1.059 FG 1.018
Actual OG 1.050 FG 1.022

My refractometer said 1.035 but I trust my hydrometer more.
Used a really good fresh ground Kenya coffee, don't think it was one of the COE ones we had though. Didn't sink the bag, poured it in loose and I think we got some oxidation on it. Adding grounds I still think is better than brewed coffee which is always way oxidized to me.

Was making Brett Trois IPA today, but had too much sparge and strike so we had a total boil of 168 minutes to boil it off. We had already added our 60 min Belma addition. The dme starter was fantastic though so if it's not ridiculously bitter I'm excited for the beer.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Kenyan might not have been the best choice for that beer. Kenya is one of the more acidic, bright tasting coffee regions which is pretty contradictory to a milk stout. I'd have used something more mellow and chocolate-y like a Brazilian. It'll help that you're essentially cold brewing which helps keep acid levels low, but I think the flavor profile is the opposite of what would work best with that style.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I recently purchased a bag of Counter Culture Aleme Wako that has a serious light berry and milk chocolate thing going on. It's drat delicious and I really want to put it in a beer. A sweet stout would probably be perfect.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

rockcity posted:

Kenyan might not have been the best choice for that beer. Kenya is one of the more acidic, bright tasting coffee regions which is pretty contradictory to a milk stout. I'd have used something more mellow and chocolate-y like a Brazilian. It'll help that you're essentially cold brewing which helps keep acid levels low, but I think the flavor profile is the opposite of what would work best with that style.

It was one of the beers that Coffee Libre (in Seoul) had in their coffee cupping on Wednesday. Was a natural process coffee that wasn't really acidic at all when brewed and had a nice dark chocolate fruit thing going on with some pipe tobacco aroma. I actually really like using the out of stereotype African coffees. The biggest thing that I struggle with in all coffee stouts is the oxidized quality. Tastes likes the canned coffee that is so popular in this part of the world. 'Dutch' coffee is really popular here too and that is done open air so that's always oxidized too.

Really want to try something like Mad Fermentationist's coffee blonde using a bright acidic fruity coffee in a blonde.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Thanks for the ideas guys. All really interesting stuff.

The beer that caused mild anaphylactic shock was a barrel aged saison. I ended up getting some of the stuff at the bottom and I think it was a high enough concentration to trigger it.

I've never had it off a filtered beer, but it usually just results in a congested nose and waking up with sinus pain.

Really sucks cause my favorite beer has been IPA's.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

DontAskKant posted:

Used a really good fresh ground Kenya coffee, don't think it was one of the COE ones we had though. Didn't sink the bag, poured it in loose and I think we got some oxidation on it. Adding grounds I still think is better than brewed coffee which is always way oxidized to me.

I did loose grounds and a few weeks later I'm using CO2 to push the plug of grounds out of my dip tube. I put a steel mesh on the end, but I'm so tired of clogged tubes. Cold brew extract from now on. I haven't had oxidation related flavors in any of them. You might be able to put grounds into a vessel and CO2 purge, then add carefully.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan
Finally got a chance to finish brewing that pale ale from tuesday. It warmed up to a balmy 24f, so I figured it was now or never!

So, to recap, I boiled it for about an hour on tuesday night before my propane tank quit working, and then it sat on the counter until this afternoon waiting for the other 30 minutes of boiling and accompanying hop additions.

Of course, I had a work emergency right after it started boiling, so it ended up going for a little over an hour. I'm really not sure how it's going to turn out, what with all of the extra boiling time and the 1.5oz of cascade that sat in it for a day and a half and everything.

Fingers crossed!

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I'm doing a bare boring 3 gallons of cider with standard yellow packet yeast. I threw in half a tsp of nutrient at "brew time" (when I dumped it in a bucket). Should I throw in a half tsp more at 3/5 days? Planning on getting this ready by the 16th. I put it down on the 6th.

I just want it as dry as it's going to be so I can then backsweeten (can of frozen concentrate) and keg. I'm not trying to enter a competition, just offering a gluten free option. Just wondering if throwing in more nutrient might help it get to that point in 10 days versus the close to 14 I'd usually give it sans nutrient.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I'm doing a bare boring 3 gallons of cider with standard yellow packet yeast. I threw in half a tsp of nutrient at "brew time" (when I dumped it in a bucket). Should I throw in a half tsp more at 3/5 days? Planning on getting this ready by the 16th. I put it down on the 6th.

I just want it as dry as it's going to be so I can then backsweeten (can of frozen concentrate) and keg. I'm not trying to enter a competition, just offering a gluten free option. Just wondering if throwing in more nutrient might help it get to that point in 10 days versus the close to 14 I'd usually give it sans nutrient.

Speaking of ciders, I had an interesting idea today, inspired by some recent things I have read about for ice ciders.
-Buy cans of frozen apple juice concentrate (without preservative)
-Allow cans to thaw into a liquid.
-Pour into carboy with some yeast nutrient, Montrache/Champagne yeast, and dilute with water until you get an OG of 1.130 (or whatever your target is)
-Ferment out as much as possible, then carbonate like a champagne

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

ScaerCroe posted:

Speaking of ciders, I had an interesting idea today, inspired by some recent things I have read about for ice ciders.
-Buy cans of frozen apple juice concentrate (without preservative)
-Allow cans to thaw into a liquid.
-Pour into carboy with some yeast nutrient, Montrache/Champagne yeast, and dilute with water until you get an OG of 1.130 (or whatever your target is)
-Ferment out as much as possible, then carbonate like a champagne

That last step may be tricky. Do you mean you'd just ferment to completion (which means either dry cider with live yeast or sweet rocket fuel and dead yeast) and then prime enough to bottle carb? If you make a high gravity cider you'll end up with lots of residual sugar but the yeast dies getting there so to get natural carbonation you have to know exactly when to bottle before the yeast gives up. Too early you made bombs, too late no carbonation whether you prime or not. I'd for sure use champagne or PET bottles for safety. You can look at different yeasts to get the alcohol tolerance you want and base your gravity on that but choose with flavor in mind also - champagne yeast for example makes bad cider even with a lot of residual sweetness IMO. I've bottled ice cider and what was effectively ice dandelion wine (tastes like a double riesling, not something I can take much of at a time) but I bottled them still to avoid all that. I bottle sparkling dry cider every year and that's as easy as bottling beer. You could force-carb a sweet strong cider if you're sure the yeast has quit (or you could sterile-filter any cider at any level of sweetness you like, or use chemical stabilizers) and then bottle it - it seems to me that in almost every case sweet carbonated cider calls for kegging, unless you have the devotion to learn some tricky methods and know your ingredients and methods backwards and forwards. Sorry that's pretty wordy.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Speaking of coffee stouts and porters, I had found a local roasters in town. I had a cup of their "crowd pleaser" blend and :vince: it was absolutely loving amazing. Super mellow character, no bitterness at all. So good that I went back after work and got a bag of coffee. Now I'm thinking what I can make! Imperial coffee porter sounds good.

So my question: what ratio of coffee do you guys use in beers?

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

ChickenArise posted:

I did loose grounds and a few weeks later I'm using CO2 to push the plug of grounds out of my dip tube. I put a steel mesh on the end, but I'm so tired of clogged tubes. Cold brew extract from now on. I haven't had oxidation related flavors in any of them. You might be able to put grounds into a vessel and CO2 purge, then add carefully.

1.75oz of fresh grounds in 19L for 20 hrs.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

McSpergin posted:

Speaking of coffee stouts and porters, I had found a local roasters in town. I had a cup of their "crowd pleaser" blend and :vince: it was absolutely loving amazing. Super mellow character, no bitterness at all. So good that I went back after work and got a bag of coffee. Now I'm thinking what I can make! Imperial coffee porter sounds good.

So my question: what ratio of coffee do you guys use in beers?

I've only done one coffee stout, but I made a cold brew concentrate and used about 8oz of in in the secondary of a 5 gallon batch.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

Myron Baloney posted:

That last step may be tricky. Do you mean you'd just ferment to completion (which means either dry cider with live yeast or sweet rocket fuel and dead yeast) and then prime enough to bottle carb? If you make a high gravity cider you'll end up with lots of residual sugar but the yeast dies getting there so to get natural carbonation you have to know exactly when to bottle before the yeast gives up. Too early you made bombs, too late no carbonation whether you prime or not. I'd for sure use champagne or PET bottles for safety. You can look at different yeasts to get the alcohol tolerance you want and base your gravity on that but choose with flavor in mind also - champagne yeast for example makes bad cider even with a lot of residual sweetness IMO. I've bottled ice cider and what was effectively ice dandelion wine (tastes like a double riesling, not something I can take much of at a time) but I bottled them still to avoid all that. I bottle sparkling dry cider every year and that's as easy as bottling beer. You could force-carb a sweet strong cider if you're sure the yeast has quit (or you could sterile-filter any cider at any level of sweetness you like, or use chemical stabilizers) and then bottle it - it seems to me that in almost every case sweet carbonated cider calls for kegging, unless you have the devotion to learn some tricky methods and know your ingredients and methods backwards and forwards. Sorry that's pretty wordy.

I was thinking of fermenting until the yeast give up the ghost. If need be I can force carb in my kegs, as I did with my 15% Eisbock.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

ScaerCroe posted:

I was thinking of fermenting until the yeast give up the ghost. If need be I can force carb in my kegs, as I did with my 15% Eisbock.
That sounds sensible to me - it leaves getting it to taste good as the main issue to focus on.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

Myron Baloney posted:

That sounds sensible to me - it leaves getting it to taste good as the main issue to focus on.

Haha, I hope that is always the main issue with brewing! My hope is that the concentrate will leave behind a lot of the apple flavor, and not using cider apples will help keep the tartness/acidity down to tolerable levels.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I'd be more concerned about what those yeast are going to do when you push them that hard. I doubt it's anything time wouldn't solve.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

ChickenArise posted:

I'd be more concerned about what those yeast are going to do when you push them that hard. I doubt it's anything time wouldn't solve.

I've found that wine yeast <3 really acidic environments. At least cotes des blancs does. Every time I use it in a cyser (mead) it overshoots tolerance 2-3% ABV. Champagne yeast is the honey badger of the yeast world. It don't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

rockcity posted:

I've only done one coffee stout, but I made a cold brew concentrate and used about 8oz of in in the secondary of a 5 gallon batch.

And as a coffee stout, how was that? I'm debating what to use but it will likely be a single origin. And what water:coffee ratio did you concentrate at? I've used between 1:3 for making bulk iced coffee to 1:6 for normal drinking up to 1:14 for actual French pressed coffee