Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

nocal posted:

But wait, is that a computer?? Is there someone out there who can tell me: what is computer? I am typing this, but maybe this is not a "lap-top" per se but actually a typewriter-cum-abacus? Am i typing or just tying Aztec knots, 1s and 0s, graphically displayed through an electron gun?

Please help I can't enjoy this experience unless I know if it is "computing"
To be fair, a Nook is a dedicated e-reader. Yes, it runs Android but not in a fashion that is intended to be, nor is, multifunctional. I mean as RandomPaul says below, he got it for free so no harm, no foul but you have to admit fighting the nature of things to save a buck or two is just a fool's game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

There is that.

Most of the stuff in here is about getting rid of crapware and things. Less necessary than it used to be, but as long as ads are becoming malware and scam vectors and/or no ad service does due diligence, or you need to break through the Great Firewall, or just throw the double deuce at your carrier of sole resort, or something, there'll be a place for this thread.

Even trying to develop or do console gaming on a touch device is excusable in a pinch, if a desperation move, because sometimes that's all the computer you've got, and that seems to be the way things are going in personal computing in general, and letting the establishment dictate terms to posterity is for quitters.

But an e-reader is usually stripped down to bare necessities on a physical level, no matter what OS it's running. Sure you can tap the infinite power of Android with one weird trick (Carriers and threadshitters hate her!), but there's usually just nothing there to tap.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jan 7, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sir Unimaginative posted:

There is that.

Most of the stuff in here is about getting rid of crapware and things. Less necessary than it used to be, but as long as ads are becoming malware and scam vectors and/or no ad service does due diligence, or you need to break through the Great Firewall, or just throw the double deuce at your carrier of sole resort, or something, there'll be a place for this thread.

Even trying to develop or do console gaming on a touch device is excusable in a pinch, if a desperation move, because sometimes that's all the computer you've got, and that seems to be the way things are going in personal computing in general, and letting the establishment dictate terms to posterity is for quitters.

But an e-reader is usually stripped down to bare necessities on a physical level, no matter what OS it's running. Sure you can tap the infinite power of Android with one weird trick (Carriers and threadshitters hate her!), but there's usually just nothing there to tap.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

I get the feeling the more money I throw at trying to make the Nook into something else the less money I'll have for its replacement. I don't want to throw it away, but I'm not sure who'd want it either.

Sell it on eBay for $70-90.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I've known plenty of elderly people who would be pleased as punch to have an e-reader, and even the old Nook has served them just fine. I've even known regular folks who like the older readers because they can bring them on a trip, get good battery life, and not worry about losing it because it would be cheap to replace. Or who want to give their kids something.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

monster on a stick posted:

I've known plenty of elderly people who would be pleased as punch to have an e-reader, and even the old Nook has served them just fine. I've even known regular folks who like the older readers because they can bring them on a trip, get good battery life, and not worry about losing it because it would be cheap to replace. Or who want to give their kids something.

The Nook HD+ is not an e-reader, it is a tablet like the Kindle Fires. It doesn't get any better battery life than any other tablet and isn't as cheap to replace as something like a Nook Simple Touch.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RVProfootballer posted:

The Nook HD+ is not an e-reader, it is a tablet like the Kindle Fires. It doesn't get any better battery life than any other tablet and isn't as cheap to replace as something like a Nook Simple Touch.
I understand how Amazon can exist (subsist?) without being in the Play ecosystem, but I can't imagine the Nook could. Does it have Google Play Services/Play Store access?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It used to just use a proprietary version of Android that limited you to apps from the B&N store but sometime last year they changed it so you could use the regular play store for apps. I don't get it either.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RandomPauI posted:

It used to just use a proprietary version of Android that limited you to apps from the B&N store but sometime last year they changed it so you could use the regular play store for apps. I don't get it either.
Got it. So you were just rooting in an attempt to give it enough oomph to get out of its own way?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think it'd just made the change over by the time I got it, but I remember getting annoying error messages about conflicting apps, updates, etc. Uninstalling the offending apps didn't seem to fix things. It was as if the nook was re-installing the nook versions of the apps without my permission. I'd heard rooting it would allow a person to grant superuser access to the tablet, enable ram swaps, etc. If nothing else rooting it took care of the error messages.

Edit: Here's an example of the app issues. I had the nook version of the twitter app installed by default. I wanted to use the regular android version of it, so I installed it. This caused error messages to pop up about having multiple versions of the same app installed. I didn't want the nook version so I uninstalled it. But whenever it came time to update apps the nook version would be reinstalled and the error messages would pop up again.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jan 7, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RandomPauI posted:

I think it'd just made the change over by the time I got it, but I remember getting annoying error messages about conflicting apps, updates, etc. Uninstalling the offending apps didn't seem to fix things. It was as if the nook was re-installing the nook versions of the apps without my permission. I'd heard rooting it would allow a person to grant superuser access to the tablet, enable ram swaps, etc. If nothing else rooting it took care of the error messages.

Edit: Here's an example of the app issues. I had the nook version of the twitter app installed by default. I wanted to use the regular android version of it, so I installed it. This caused error messages to pop up about having multiple versions of the same app installed. I didn't want the nook version so I uninstalled it. But whenever it came time to update apps the nook version would be reinstalled and the error messages would pop up again.
I'm guessing the version of Android it's stuck on or the settings of the preinstalled apps prevent you from disabling them? If so then yeah, you're in a situation where rooting is really the only way to make it work.

I can't imagine the RAM swapping is doing anything to help you unless the OS is running some amazingly lovely services B&N helpfully inserted for you. The access times would make it not worth it but if it's got some absurdly low amount of RAM (like 512MB) then you might not have a choice there either. If it's got 1GB I wouldn't worry about it.

The app situation though if you lack the ability to disable then you really can't get around it.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It has 768 megs of ram which should be enough for basic web and video but somehow isn't. It's been rooted and is running kitkat now. Come to think of it, even if I could revert it back to stock before giving it to someone else I don't think I'd want to make the change.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

nocal posted:

But wait, is that a computer?? Is there someone out there who can tell me: what is computer? I am typing this, but maybe this is not a "lap-top" per se but actually a typewriter-cum-abacus? Am i typing or just tying Aztec knots, 1s and 0s, graphically displayed through an electron gun?

Please help I can't enjoy this experience unless I know if it is "computing"

I think you are a cumpooter.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Hello. Need help.

Girlfriend "rooted her phone". I barely know what that means, so I can't imagine she knows any more. She is having trouble with her phone now (specifically, sometimes it locks up and goes into "odin" mode if she gets an over the air update ( I know, I know, I read the OP, you don't want over the air after roots)), and I'd like to know, and forgive me if it's a stupid question, is there any way to undo rooting the phone? All I can think of is doing a factory reset, but she doesn't want to do that.

So, any help would be appreciated

She has a Samsung galaxy S 5, and said she used something called "towelroot".

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Off topic, but your avatar and avatar text are terrific.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Bananana posted:

Hello. Need help.

Girlfriend "rooted her phone". I barely know what that means, so I can't imagine she knows any more. She is having trouble with her phone now (specifically, sometimes it locks up and goes into "odin" mode if she gets an over the air update ( I know, I know, I read the OP, you don't want over the air after roots)), and I'd like to know, and forgive me if it's a stupid question, is there any way to undo rooting the phone? All I can think of is doing a factory reset, but she doesn't want to do that.

Someone else will likely know more but if it installed SuperSU as the superuser package I believe there's an option in there to gracefully unroot.

Why did she do this? It's a little weird to me that someone who "barely knows what that means" would Google for root exploits, download them and the tools, and install them just on a whim.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

The Bananana posted:

Hello. Need help.

Superuser commands go into the system partition. Most manufacturers are particular about how the system partition is handled because under normal use the system partition isn't user-accessible. (Aside: From 5.0 Android just won't update if anything's changed. Even mounting /system as writable can change it enough to tilt the update process.)

Which carrier? The one you got it from, not necessarily the one you're using it on. Each one has different software, and trying to put the wrong one on can kill your phone. ... Well, that's true of most phones, but with Samsung, especially carrier-branded Samsung, this goes triple.

For now, you may just want to find a way to disable firmware updates, and without a clean factory image to flash in recovery or Odin or something, you may be stuck with what you've got + what stockish images XDA can offer up, an unenviable position.

I know it's not you, but next time she needs to do more research before doing more of this sort of thing.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

The best you can make it is to install Cyanogenmod on the internal storage, but you'll still have a slow, stuttery, low-ish ram tablet. The screen is great, but that's all it has going for it.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
That what I wound up doing. It does the job well enough for streaming video, browsing the web, etc. It can really only do one task at a time but that's not a horrible problem.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
My phone is broken as crap and I don't have the money for a new one, so my girlfriend gave me her old Google/Samsung Nexus S, i9023. I'm trying to root it to get a newer version of Android on (or a custom ROM) and I've been reading XDA forum posts and different tutorials now for hours and all the download links are dead, even the official 'hacker standard' type toolkits. I downloaded WinDroid Universal Android Toolkit but when it gets to the 'unlock bootloader' screen it's giving me directions to 'Select 'Yes' to unlock bootloader' when the only options I have are the standard 'reboot recovery mode, reboot, power off' etc. No actual options. It seems like I might be missing the ADB drivers, and I recall the toolkit offered to download those (and to all ends it looked like it had) but now I can see that the phone still isn't showing up in Device Manager (Windows 7) at all. I've googled for driver downloads and all the links I've found are dead.

The phone isn't that old, is it? I understanding Lollipop 5.0 is probably going to be out of my reach, but I'm really struggling to make ANY headway here at all. Even the phone itself doesn't think there are any updates post-factory reset. I'm scratching my head like crazy here.

e: Just went back into device manager and now it's managed to install ADB even though I haven't done a drat thing in the past 10 minutes. God drat. I just retried the 'Unlock bootloader' screen and nothing has changed, though.

Sulla Faex fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 8, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

My phone is broken as crap and I don't have the money for a new one, so my girlfriend gave me her old Google/Samsung Nexus S, i9023. I'm trying to root it to get a newer version of Android on (or a custom ROM) and I've been reading XDA forum posts and different tutorials now for hours and all the download links are dead, even the official 'hacker standard' type toolkits. I downloaded WinDroid Universal Android Toolkit but when it gets to the 'unlock bootloader' screen it's giving me directions to 'Select 'Yes' to unlock bootloader' when the only options I have are the standard 'reboot recovery mode, reboot, power off' etc. No actual options. It seems like I might be missing the ADB drivers, and I recall the toolkit offered to download those (and to all ends it looked like it had) but now I can see that the phone still isn't showing up in Device Manager (Windows 7) at all. I've googled for driver downloads and all the links I've found are dead.

The phone isn't that old, is it? I understanding Lollipop 5.0 is probably going to be out of my reach, but I'm really struggling to make ANY headway here at all. Even the phone itself doesn't think there are any updates post-factory reset. I'm scratching my head like crazy here.

e: Just went back into device manager and now it's managed to install ADB even though I haven't done a drat thing in the past 10 minutes. God drat. I just retried the 'Unlock bootloader' screen and nothing has changed, though.
Rooting a Nexus is easy once you get the fastboot driver to work.

Anyway, the Nexus S never worked well on anything past 4.0. Trust me. Nothing will ever get that device the official or some community bullshit ROM on 4.1 or higher without major issues.

With regards to the driver, you should go into Device Manager and uninstall every driver you can find for it, then use the one in the SDK, inserting it manually if need be. Or borrow a Mac for a minute and not gently caress with it at all.

Oh yeah, to check if it worked you just type 'fastboot devices' when connected and in the bootloader. If it's there you'll get a serial number.

Edit: Just re-read and noticed you're using a toolkit. Download the SDK and do it right. You just need the Platform-tools.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 8, 2015

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
The Android website isn't popping up the download file even after I follow the link :psyduck: Could be my lovely internet though, it's on the fritz at the moment.

I just checked the version and it's already 4.1.2, so that's the latest stable (official) version anyway? I'll probably just leave it at that and use it as-is. I don't spend much time on phones anymore and I've spent long enough around computers to know when to cut my losses after a few hours tinkering around with poo poo to no avail. I'll just have kids and wait fifteen years for them to do it for me.

I'll save your post into a text file in case I get frustrated with how slow the phone is after a month and decide to have another crack at rooting it so I can strip out all the goddamn Google bloatware. Thanks.

Sulla Faex fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 8, 2015

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
LIL is right, don't bother, just leave it on 4.0.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
So if I want root to do dumb cosmetic stuff but don't care about a custom ROM is there any particular reason to not use Weaksauce2 on my One M8?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

mango sentinel posted:

So if I want root to do dumb cosmetic stuff but don't care about a custom ROM is there any particular reason to not use Weaksauce2 on my One M8?

Assuming you're ok running a ROM that is most likely created by a high schooler, then go nuts.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I'll save your post into a text file in case I get frustrated with how slow the phone is after a month and decide to have another crack at rooting it so I can strip out all the goddamn Google bloatware. Thanks.

Won't help - the problem is the hardware is just too slow and I'm pretty sure it suffered from the same nand degradation as the first N7

Also even if you flash it back to 4.0.4 it's barely better these days (I still occasionally use mine as a backup and have tried both).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

dissss posted:

Won't help - the problem is the hardware is just too slow and I'm pretty sure it suffered from the same nand degradation as the first N7

Also even if you flash it back to 4.0.4 it's barely better these days (I still occasionally use mine as a backup and have tried both).
This wouldn't be surprising. Remember that the Canadian Galaxy Ss had an unreal NAND failure rate (which Samsung promptly replied with "LOL you were dumb enough to buy a Samsung, you'll buy another." and there were so many hardware failures among the six or seven variants that substandard chips wouldn't even rate in the top half of issues.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

That's discouraging but I'll try it out anyway - I don't mind a slightly slow phone, it's not fundamentally broken now. I just want to do what I can to strip useless junk and I can't afford a new one anyway.

But what's the deal with Samsung, then? In the past few years I've switched from broken phone to broken phone, using an iPhone 3, Sony Xperia U, and Nokia Lumia 520 and my girlfriend has generally bought Samsung phones with occasional problems. Are there any manufacturers or models that aren't terrible as all gently caress? Do you just have to keep buying a phone every year and surrender to this cultish free market delusion that things are sure to get better if you just keep the faith?

Sulla Faex fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jan 9, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

That's discouraging but I'll try it out anyway - I don't mind a slightly slow phone, it's not fundamentally broken now. I just want to do what I can to strip useless junk and I can't afford a new one anyway.

But what's the deal with Samsung, then? In the past few years I've switched from broken phone to broken phone, using an iPhone 3, Sony Xperia U, and Nokia Lumia 520 and my girlfriend has generally bought Samsung phones with occasional problems. Are there any manufacturers or models that aren't terrible as all gently caress? Do you just have to keep buying a phone every year and surrender to this cultish free market delusion that things are sure to get better if you just keep the faith?
Motorola is great. Durable hardware and good radios, though they're limited in reach to the US for the most part. Google Nexus devices are generally good though you do have a different OEM and types of chipsets in them (because as developer devices they need to span the breadth of the Android ecosystem) so what you get can vary.

As a general rule I, personally, say to keep away from Samsung the most (with the exception of no-name Chinese things) and then, in order from least to most favorite LG, HTC, Motorola, and Google. In every case you should never look at anything but the flagship model for an OEM. No "Minis" or variants because they'll never be supported (they don't sell in enough numbers to justify the expense for the software and the hardware is generally of a lesser spec).

The reasons for this are myriad. As a quick overview, Samsung is bad because it doesn't have the customer experience as its primary goal. Its goal is to be viewed as a platform itself, not as an Android OEM, so they duplicate apps and refuse to properly use the Play Store for abstractions (in order to make a break if need be) so their software is the most intrusive and least friendly.

LG very much has a corporate culture of cargo-culting Samsung, not only in phones but in everything from refrigerators to TVs to everything. So it's like a copy of a copy, and the original wasn't great to begin with. They're moving away from this but I'd be wary.

HTC at least is focused on customer experience. Their worst fault is having few resources for what they want to do but what they're doing, they do well.

Motorola is also making great stuff. They modify stock Android very little which earns them a lot of points here and they also put all their modifications on the Play Store so they can be updated out-of-band. That makes for a great user experience and their devices are top-notch too. The modifications they do make are generally really, really good (compare to Samsung who adds a bunch of stuff and most of it is useless and/or doesn't work). Moto also realized the opening to make really good phones at rock-bottom prices like the Moto E and Moto G. There isn't much margin there but they're easily the best devices in their price ranges.

Google phones are what I always recommend though. Google controls the platform and writes the current version specifically for the current device so you get what you're supposed to. Google isn't perfect and fucks up from time to time, but if you're dealing with Android you're dealing with Google so my thought is that it is at least what it's supposed to be for better or worse. People who aren't Nexus fans are going to say that the specs are never what they should be and when Google makes a call like deprecating SD cards that it harms their freedoms so if you don't like Google's direction then these probably aren't for you.

All of that having been said, you are dealing with a four year old phone and Android is much, much better and different from those days. Just from a hardware point of view you don't see runs of major devices with glaring faults like you did in the Galaxy S days anymore. Back then most phones (if you believe it) were broken out of the box, both in software and sometimes in hardware. Now even the worst shitboxes like scrub-tier Galaxy some-letter-that-isn't-S will work pretty well. You're just using an example from a very dark time in non-iPhone smartphones.

I want to say that I didn't mention Sony because until recently they weren't really available in the US. That's changing but right now the jury is still out. Their hardware looks pretty good though, it's just a matter of whether updates come and whether those updates are any good. Plenty here have taken the plunge on the Z3 so we'll definitely know which way it falls.

Lastly I should mention: Never, never ever buy a device with an Nvidia SoC. Just don't do it. Maybe a tablet. Maybe. But never ever in a phone. Also don't buy an Intel phone but that much should be obvious.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jan 9, 2015

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
LastInLine didn't mention Sony, and people have been quite pleased with the Xperia Z flagships, and recently the Z3 Compact, which goes against the grain of "smaller phones don't deserve decent hardware". It remains to be seen how their support of the phones going forward will be, however.

\/\/ That's what I get for skimming, I guess.

hooah fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 9, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

I want to say that I didn't mention Sony because until recently they weren't really available in the US. That's changing but right now the jury is still out. Their hardware looks pretty good though, it's just a matter of whether updates come and whether those updates are any good. Plenty here have taken the plunge on the Z3 so we'll definitely know which way it falls.

hooah posted:

LastInLine didn't mention Sony, and people have been quite pleased with the Xperia Z flagships, and recently the Z3 Compact, which goes against the grain of "smaller phones don't deserve decent hardware". It remains to be seen how their support of the phones going forward will be, however.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Been mentioned but you can safely stick with Motorola, HTC and Sony if you stick to their flagships and looking at how well are running their high tier ones from my friends and coworkers, Huawei.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

LastInLine posted:

Also don't buy an Intel phone but that much should be obvious.

Intel made a phone?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Variable_H posted:

Intel made a phone?
I think the RAZR i was their first attempt.

They keep saying that it's just around the corner, the day where an x86 processor will be as power efficient as an ARM processor. It will never happen but psychologically the company will never get over Steve Jobs coming to them to build the processor for the iPhone and they told him no, there just wasn't any money in it, sorry.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also at least one of the Asus phones was x86.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Lol, that's loving amazing.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Well, Steve Jobs said that no one wanted big phones and voilą, a 5.5" iPhone. Well, he's dead so I guess he couldn't say no to that.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

The iPhone 6+ is bad and no one should use it. 4.7" is currently the largest acceptable size for an iPhone.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
I don't get why the 5-6 inch phones aren't more popular. I have the 1st gen Note and love it. It's large enough to game on and read books without squinting, but small enough to fit in my pocket with ease.

It probably helps that I don't use giant fuckoff phone cases. I prefer to keep my phones au naturale and just be extra careful. Going on three-ish years without a scratch.

Question for the thread: I'm trying to use Xposed for the rootcloak module but it won't install in any manner. I've tried every method and I get a generic failure to install every time. Anyone know what I can do to try and narrow down the reason this might be? Might it just not support my Note that's geriatric by phone standards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Esroc posted:

I don't get why the 5-6 inch phones aren't more popular. I have the 1st gen Note and love it. It's large enough to game on and read books without squinting, but small enough to fit in my pocket with ease.

It probably helps that I don't use giant fuckoff phone cases. I prefer to keep my phones au naturale and just be extra careful. Going on three-ish years without a scratch.

Question for the thread: I'm trying to use Xposed for the rootcloak module but it won't install in any manner. I've tried every method and I get a generic failure to install every time. Anyone know what I can do to try and narrow down the reason this might be? Might it just not support my Note that's geriatric by phone standards?

I smoke and using bigger phones one handed will cause me to drop it while using it.