Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Yeah the people who thought that was boring clearly have never played trials evolution before. That was amazing.

It wasn't boring, but them keeping repeating just how hard the tracks are got annoying. I'm sure people got the message after the first couple times.

(yes I've done the extremes in evolution and fusion, and yes the run was impressive and the runner is way way better than me)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Boxman posted:

Also while I'm asking broad questions about AGDQ, who are the characters on the banner with Shantae and Cadence? Looks like a redhead with a furred collar and a weird cat thing in a bowtie and spiffy cap.

They're from Transistor and Battleblock Theatre, respectively.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Cronodoculous posted:

I did once, but it turned out it was just a mirror facing another mirror.

yeah I thought about that too for a minute but some of these guys put my complexion pastiness to shame.

E:

Why do they play the japanese version of every game?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
They play foreign language versions for different reasons usually it's either because there's less text/it scrolls faster (saving time especially in games where you have to click through a bunch of text) or because it has bugs they exploit that were fixed in the US version or whatever

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Zombies' Downfall posted:

They play foreign language versions for different reasons usually it's either because there's less text/it scrolls faster (saving time especially in games where you have to click through a bunch of text) or because it has bugs they exploit that were fixed in the US version or whatever

the first reason sounds incredibly spergy and stupid but then again they're speed racing games.

Second makes sense.

God drat I know its the first 99% of the time though...

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Man i forgot how intense this game was.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Al Borland posted:

the first reason sounds incredibly spergy and stupid but then again they're speed racing games.

Second makes sense.

If something as minor as that sounds spergy and stupid then boy, do I have news for you about speed running

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Al Borland posted:

Come on, this entire thing is "spergy and stupid." It's people playing decade+ old games to figure out how to squeeze a few frames from them.

That doesn't keep it from being absolutely amazing, clearly.

Also, this is, without a doubt, the chillest run.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Boxman posted:

Come on, this entire thing is "spergy and stupid." It's people playing decade+ old games to figure out how to squeeze a few frames from them.

That doesn't keep it from being absolutely amazing, clearly.

Also, this is, without a doubt, the chillest run.

Chill until we get to Mechahawk!

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Al Borland posted:

Chill until we get to Mechahawk!

There's no mechahawk in the run, scrub. GOD. :goonsay:

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Uznare posted:

There's no mechahawk in the run, scrub. GOD. :goonsay:

I hope you drop 24 frames and your clique abandons you.

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."

Cronodoculous posted:

Yeah, but for us uninitiated folks, it just looked like a dude playing a game well. I swear the people in the room were going to rebel against some of the early applauses the couch started. I think he won everyone over at the end, though.

I just took it as the price I had to pay for enjoying Fire Emblem and for probably enjoying Kingdom Hearts and FF7 in the future.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Al Borland posted:

Second makes sense.

It is, the japanese versions have a lot less text. This comes less into play as we move forward in the console generations because of region locking tho.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Bomberman 64 should be cool, its a relic of an era when devs were adapting to 3d from 2d series and just put in whatever the gently caress.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

chaos rhames posted:

Bomberman 64 should be cool, its a relic of an era when devs were adapting to 3d from 2d series and just put in whatever the gently caress.

Is it the one with Bomberman going around the cosmos and kicking asses of other bombers?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Pretty sure, bomberman hero's the one with the gadgets and princess and weird robot and that cool smooth drum and base song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03UeITHT9H8

pibot
why are you wearing a dress
its getting caught in your treads

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jan 9, 2015

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
haha that bossfight

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

all the 3D adventure style bomberman games are fantastic

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
So that was a final boss huh?

Speaking of games with final bosses that get shat on by speedrunners, here comes 120% Spyro :getin:

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Kikas posted:

So that was a final boss huh?

Speaking of games with final bosses that get shat on by speedrunners, here comes 120% Spyro :getin:

The fun thing about Bomberman 64 any% is you don't take out the actual bad guy so those dudes basically just doomed that nice peaceful world instead. Bomberman 64 owns.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Finally the best 3D platformer is being played.

I know it's the best one because it's the one I played when I was a kid.

This guy's real monotone though.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jan 9, 2015

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Kanfy posted:

This guy's real monotone though.

I've never heard someone be energetic while simultaneously being so monotone before

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

flatluigi posted:

I've never heard someone be energetic while simultaneously being so monotone before

100% agree, but I really like the commentary and the run so far.

Turkeybro
Nov 12, 2011

Looking for strong men to discover what's under the helmet.
It's adorably monotone.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Yeah I mean the dude's putting effort into the commentary and is super knowledgable but I'm being slowly lulled to sleep. He's the Bob Ross of Spyro.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

It'll be funny to see this guy blaze through Tree Tops, that level was the devil itself to 100% but it's also all about going fast.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Speaking of blazing through, HOLY poo poo THAT SUPERCHARGE TRICK

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

This is a pretty cool run. Also funny is that this guys twitch handle is :black101:SuperiorWarbringer:black101: despite him being super bland sounding.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

This is super impressive but man I can't think of a game type Id hate to master more than the collect a thon platformer.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Supercharging in this game is really hard to control and anything that requires doing it with precision is a real pain in the rear end.

Incidentally Tree Tops is almost nothing but supercharging over massive pits. :v:

Haruharuharuko posted:

This is super impressive but man I can't think of a game type Id hate to master more than the collect a thon platformer.

Spyro is probably the best choice for that since you can always glide and go fast and you collect most things just by moving near them.

Myriad
Apr 26, 2010
Trials and Spyro are both good runs and super informative while also being chill as gently caress.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Haruharuharuko posted:

Well you could just run any% on these games, Spyro 1 still is a colect-a-thon that was, but Spyro 2 is like 20 minutes tops :v: Spyro 3 I dunno if anyone runs it, I know they are working on a 100% TAS, but that's it.

I mean compare this with something like Banjo-Kazooie, how fast the basic movement is without constant rolling or whatever, how much better this is to watch even if it is "collect a milion things". It's awesome.

Kikas fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 9, 2015

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:
Someone make this guy inhale a helium balloon, that'll spice up the voice while keeping the commentary good. :v:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Chocolate Donuts posted:

Someone make this guy inhale a helium balloon, that'll spice up the voice while keeping the commentary good. :v:

This should be a requirement when the room starts to get too quiet.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Golden Goat posted:

This should be a requirement when the room starts to get too quiet.

Or just have the guy with the accordion show up and start playing.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Vakal posted:

Or just have the guy with the accordion show up and start playing.

I was thinking buff dudes flexing across the screen but sure that works too.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Golden Goat posted:

I was thinking buff dudes flexing across the screen but sure that works too.

I'm surprised Caleb hasn't already done that.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Kikas posted:

Well you could just run any% on these games, Spyro 1 still is a colect-a-thon that was, but Spyro 2 is like 20 minutes tops :v: Spyro 3 I dunno if anyone runs it, I know they are working on a 100% TAS, but that's it.

People do run Spyro 3. It was at a past AGDQ or SGDQ. There's theoretically an any% that doesn't get 100 eggs or any gems (I think it would just get 21 22 eggs? They're the eggs from the end of levels, the bosses, Bartholomew, and the hummingbird), but I haven't seen anyone do the run. It may be TAS only.

Also, watch the Spyro 3 TAS. There's excellent commentary on it too.

Double Punctuation fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 9, 2015

aeiou
Jul 12, 2006

It's cold in here...
Just kidding! It's to
fool enemies..
For a psx game Crash 2 is really beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

dpbjinc posted:

People do run Spyro 3. It was at a past AGDQ or SGDQ. There's theoretically an any% that doesn't get 100 eggs or any gems (I think it would just get 21 22 eggs? They're the eggs from the end of levels, the bosses, Bartholomew, and the hummingbird), but I haven't seen anyone do the run. It may be TAS only.

Also, watch the Spyro 3 TAS. There's excellent commentary on it too.

Oh man they finished it! Gotta watch this after AGDQ, was waiting for it.

• Locked thread