Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Zorak always liked to quote the rule about how posts should be funny, interesting, or informative and I think that's a pretty good guideline instead of how much effort someone put into their posts (Though jokes should generally be given more leniency imo because hey at least attempting to be funny is a good thing unless you are an aggressively unfunny person).

Plus, people make low effort posts that aren't jokes as well. Stuff like "It was cool when (thing) happened" Or "I hope (thing happens) in the next episode!" are comments that don't add much to a discussion but there are usually plenty of posts like that each week! And that's fine too if that's what people wanna post about, but those are low effort as hell.

I do feel there is room here for posts of low effort, high effort, and everything in-between, though.

Srice fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jan 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Maybe the changes just predate his account. :shobon:

His account isn't 2015 though.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Mordaedil posted:

His account isn't 2015 though.

The ADTRW name and hover text changes didn't happen in 2015.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The ADTRW name and hover text changes didn't happen in 2015.

When I asked a few years back, I was just directed here. So, I dunno.

I see it was updated last year, welp.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

they banned dark_tzitzanime?

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Life's just better with Ominous Gloves.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

It's definitely got an audience, but unfortunately that audience isn't me. I find it a weird miasma of toxic misanthropy where sincerity is the only shibboleth. The horrifying thing is, SA still has one of the highest standards of posting I've found on the net. I wish it was more to my liking, but even now it's still infinitely better than reddit, any chan, PA, etc.
/

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Davincie posted:

they banned dark_tzitzanime?

Yeah but he reregged and is happily posting in the animeVita thread.

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
please dont split the forum and please make someone mod whos into fun and not capitalization

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Budget Prefuse posted:

It's definitely got an audience, but unfortunately that audience isn't me. I find it a weird miasma of toxic misanthropy where sincerity is the only shibboleth. The horrifying thing is, SA still has one of the highest standards of posting I've found on the net. I wish it was more to my liking, but even now it's still infinitely better than reddit, any chan, PA, etc.
/

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

who is the new moderator of this forums? i hope its not the guy who prefuse quoted above me

----------------

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

who is the new moderator of this forums? i hope its not the guy who prefuse quoted above me

It is you. Beak bwak (said like pen pen in the Congratulations! ending to Neon Genesis Evangelion)

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Everyone ITT offers posting problems instead of posting solutions.

Just post, don't post creepy, your post should have a point even if it's just to say "x was cool". It's really not hard.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

That is my manifesto for when I am anime mod

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Srice posted:

Zorak always liked to quote the rule about how posts should be funny, interesting, or informative and I think that's a pretty good guideline instead of how much effort someone put into their posts (Though jokes should generally be given more leniency imo because hey at least attempting to be funny is a good thing unless you are an aggressively unfunny person).

Plus, people make low effort posts that aren't jokes as well. Stuff like "It was cool when (thing) happened" Or "I hope (thing happens) in the next episode!" are comments that don't add much to a discussion but there are usually plenty of posts like that each week! And that's fine too if that's what people wanna post about, but those are low effort as hell.

I do feel there is room here for posts of low effort, high effort, and everything in-between, though.

This, and I'd go one step further. There are many non-punctuation/grammar posts that offer more insight and humor than if they were written normally, and display more effort.

But a good portion is just low content trolling, which can be done at any other anime forum of your choosing. ADTRW should stand apart and strive for the best ratio of the former to the latter. Hell I'm pretty sure the deciding reason I :10bux:'d for this site was the one Zorak guideline: "Don't post like a Japanophile moron", and again there are countless other sites out there to type like that, ironic or not.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

AnacondaHL once again stacking up his mod credentials.

My money is on him (and/or me)

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

i look forward to being probated for dropping a comma

----------------

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I always liked how ADTRW has such quality posting compared to virtually anywhere else, but sometimes it does it a bit intimidating and almost an act of courage whether to actually post something where you have to think to yourself "Is this Interesting/Funny/Informative/Too short!? :ohdear: " and then have to add something to make sure I feel like I'm contributing. Sounds WAD, but sometimes a chiller atmosphere would be cool too.

I guess using the Korra thread as an example*, you have the occasional effort post Asian culture and how it influenced the show, or people posting political theory about ideology and those are cool, but I don't expect or want every post to have to be a microcosm of that.

*Accounting for the awfulness of about 50% of the rest.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

I always liked how ADTRW has such quality posting compared to virtually anywhere else

lol

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what is a quality post on this forum? i dont think just a bog standard regular discussion of an anime or some long rear end effort post is automatically quality. imo this forum has been dull as hell forever and the only thing people really seem to remember was some joke thread about anime tits

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I dunno, I mean yeah it's not exactly exciting around here, but its still about the only place I can chat about anime with people who aren't literally retarded. Well, mostly.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

PotU posted:

what is a quality post on this forum? i dont think just a bog standard regular discussion of an anime or some long rear end effort post is automatically quality. imo this forum has been dull as hell forever and the only thing people really seem to remember was some joke thread about anime tits

quote:

13:30 - far shot of satsuki hanging in the cage
13:34 - shot of satsuki’s feet, ragged and hanging, Ragyo laughing. Panning up to Satsuki’s face until 13:43, without pausing to stare at her boobs like so many other animes
13:43 - close-up of Satsuki’s face (look of rage at 13:53)
13:54 - Looking at Ragyo talking to Satsuki
13:58 - medium-far shot of Satsuki, her body is darkened rather than well-lit. Ragyo gloating
14:11 - beginning of bad touch scene. The lighting of Ragyo is bright, the lighting on Satsuki is dark, guiding the eye to Ragyo, not Satsuki.
14:21 - Four second butt shot
14:25 - Close-up of a look of rage on Satsuki’s face
14:29 - Close-up of Ragyo’s face. Gloating.
14:36 - shot panning downwards from above Satuki’s face to her face. Seven seconds. No cleavage.
14:43 to 15:39 - Backstory.
15:40 - Far panning shot of cage.
15:56 - Butt slap.
15:57 - Shot of Ragyo and Satsuki’s face. This time, the lighting is on Satsuki.
16:03 - Closeup of Satsuki’s face into a close-up of Ragyo’s face. Still enraged / still gloating
16:09 - Shot of Satsuki’s legs from halfway down her thighs and panning downwards.
16:17 - Backwards shot of a bad touch sweeping down from Satsuki’s chest down to her behind.
16:28 - From Satsuki’s face into Ragyo’s face.
16:36 - Butt slap.
16:37 - Far shot of cage. Dark. More butt slaps and Ragyo emphasizing how much she wants Satsuki to hate her.
16:40 - Close up of faces. Butt slaps continue.
16:44 - Satsuki’s face, still mad. Still slapping. Maniacal laughter from Ragyo.
16:51 - End of the scene.

Let's recap -
lots of exposition
no lingering on boobs
lighting that deliberately de-emphasized Satsuki's body
lots of focus on the faces
fostering Satsuki's anger made a part of the conversation deliberately

If you think they spent a bunch of time on Satsuki's body you were paying attention to the wrong loving thing and you're using disgust to justify voyeurism. The scene wasn't fanservice. God drat.

----------------

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

all the guys posting about making this into an effort post forum or whatever sound obnoxious as gently caress. im going to become the new mod because my old mod star was anime related....its that simple

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Dick Spacious, I'm glad you still have that post.

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
bring back that konata av its really really good

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

PotU posted:

Namtab posted:

Everyone ITT offers posting problems instead of posting solutions.

Just post, don't post creepy, your post should have a point even if it's just to say "x was cool". It's really not hard.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

PotU posted:

bring back that konata av its really really good
ive had many powerful avatars friend

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
galaxy konata ftw

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

galaxy konata ftw

just bring back konata pls

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

suggestion: let's all vote on who has the best anime avatar and make them the new ADTRW mod

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Budget Prefuse posted:

suggestion: let's all vote on who has the best anime avatar and make them the new ADTRW mod

lyle does not wish to be the mod

coathat
May 21, 2007

PotU posted:

just bring back konata pls

I like mitty

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Budget Prefuse posted:

da black broly

AnacondaHL posted:

This, and I'd go one step further. There are many non-punctuation/grammar posts that offer more insight and humor than if they were written normally, and display more effort.

But a good portion is just low content trolling, which can be done at any other anime forum of your choosing. ADTRW should stand apart and strive for the best ratio of the former to the latter. Hell I'm pretty sure the deciding reason I :10bux:'d for this site was the one Zorak guideline: "Don't post like a Japanophile moron", and again there are countless other sites out there to type like that, ironic or not.

Then why not ban/probate people for low effort trolling and keep the people who're making actual jokes/insight that just happen to be in lower-case? It's not like our only options are 'kill all the shifthaters' and 'become FYAD'

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Considering how I don't think that 99% of anime don't have enough substance to write five-paragraph effortposts about, I am leaning more towards a new, GBS kind of ADTRW. I can scroll over at least 20 variations of "im gay" by the time it takes me to realise that the wall of text I have been reading is written by someone who is just an obsessed weaboo who hasn't actually watched/read anything that didn't come from Japan.

AnacondaHL posted:

"Don't post like a Japanophile moron"

I hope the new mod is a real ikemen :swoon:

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

I only really see tryhard effortposting in the madoka thread though. I mean it's still dumb and bad there too but I never felt like ADTRW had that kind of culture.

coathat posted:

I like mitty

seconded

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rexides posted:

Considering how I don't think that 99% of anime don't have enough substance to write five-paragraph effortposts about, I am leaning more towards a new, GBS kind of ADTRW. I can scroll over at least 20 variations of "im gay" by the time it takes me to realise that the wall of text I have been reading is written by someone who is just an obsessed weaboo who hasn't actually watched/read anything that didn't come from Japan.

I hope the new mod is a real ikemen :swoon:

same re both

also make a thread to talk about anime that arent currently running because its stupid to have one for every single show. sometimes i just want to constantly post about how good k-on is. i, however, dont make threads

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

PotU posted:

same re both

also make a thread to talk about anime that arent currently running because its stupid to have one for every single show. sometimes i just want to constantly post about how good k-on is. i, however, dont make threads

k-on is pretty good

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Endorph posted:

Then why not ban/probate people for low effort trolling and keep the people who're making actual jokes/insight that just happen to be in lower-case? It's not like our only options are 'kill all the shifthaters' and 'become FYAD'

Yes, that would be one way to do it, and that's essentially what the policy used to be like 3-4 years ago.

But I can only imagine how much time and effort it took to maintain that, with only one person enforcing (and near zero help from the community).

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

People seem to prefer yelling at people themselves instead of reporting them in some way.

It's something I'll have to be aware of when I am mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

AnacondaHL posted:

Yes, that would be one way to do it, and that's essentially what the policy used to be like 3-4 years ago.

But I can only imagine how much time and effort it took to maintain that, with only one person enforcing (and near zero help from the community).

That's why there needs to be, like, two mods. One person who's more the kind of technical, rules-enforcing ban-hammering person, who maintains general neutrality and doesn't interfere much besides assiduously enforcing the rules when they are infringed upon; and another who's more of a "cheerleader" for the community, getting into all the threads, making special event threads like the Simulwatches/Simulreads, stickying especially fun or cool threads, doing mod challenges, discussing with people, and trying to lead by example through making good, interesting, funny, or sincere posts.

• Locked thread