Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I haven't posted a photo of my kids in a while. This guy is hard to work with. Way worse than my girl ever was.

2015-19 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

TomR posted:

I haven't posted a photo of my kids in a while. This guy is hard to work with. Way worse than my girl ever was.

2015-19 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

A St Kilda fan?? Poor guy.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I've started to mess around with external flashes, borrowed from my school library. Shot my roommates and sister a bit, this is the best picture I feel I came out with. Any critique or comments are welcome.

Zach by dshenphotos, on Flickr

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Spedman posted:

A St Kilda fan?? Poor guy.

Ha ha, my brother spend six months working in Australia and got really into the sports down there. I had forgotten where that scarf even came from until you pointed it out. We're in Canada and no one knows what the scarf even says.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

hi liter posted:

I've started to mess around with external flashes, borrowed from my school library. Shot my roommates and sister a bit, this is the best picture I feel I came out with. Any critique or comments are welcome.

Zach by dshenphotos, on Flickr

Mind your backgrounds.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Pukestain Pal posted:

Mind your backgrounds.

Is this a reference to the painting in the background? I deliberately framed that thereto make the photo look more casual, but I can see how that it is distracting from the subject.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

hi liter posted:

Is this a reference to the painting in the background? I deliberately framed that thereto make the photo look more casual, but I can see how that it is distracting from the subject.

Is that all you notice that is wrong with it?

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Yea, that white pillar on the right, making it clear that its not level. And pretty dark and otherwise boring.

Ok, more background attention, thanks!

edit: Anything else that I'm just missing?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

hi liter posted:

its not level.
Who cares?

Yes.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

hi liter posted:

otherwise boring.

ding!

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

hi liter posted:

otherwise boring

This but also, what is going on with his sweater? Why is half of the collar tucked into the front? Is that intentional? If not, you should haven given your portrait subject a heads up that his sweater was all jacked up.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely be on the lookout for more interesting backgrounds for portraits.

This past weekend was mostly for me to get used to working with external flash. Is there anything notably bad/annoying on the lighting on my subject look ok in that photo? I was using a reflective umbrella to the camera's left for key, and ambient from a window off frame on camera right to fill the shadow.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
It's just normal mostly flat lighting... the exposure is okay overall but that's nothing to write home about. I personally think it'd look better if the exposure was even across the face. If you're trying to get used to using external lighting then imo you shouldn't try to use more than 1 modifier / source at first.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
Yea, put your camera in M, ISO 100, shutter 1/200 and then go hog wild with the aperture and flash settings.

The shutter speed will make it so only the light from your flash is recorded. Now you are in control.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Lindsey by Sheep Photo, on Flickr

I tried to go for processing that made the photo feel wintery? I can't help but feel her skin looks a little dead. She is already fair skinned as it is... How would you guys resolve this?

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
I think the skin is fine.

ass is my canvas
Jun 7, 2003

comin' down the street
You can use a selective color adjustment layer to lighten up the reds and magenta so they don't contrast so much with the pasty skin.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Processing looks good, I think her blush needs a little fixing personally but otherwise the photo is good.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Skin is fine. Her facial expression looks like she feels uncomfortable/awkward. Like she's halfway between trying to smile or look serious and isn't sure which she should be doing.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

1st AD posted:

Processing looks good, I think her blush needs a little fixing personally but otherwise the photo is good.

As in when she applied it?

Is there a tactful way to tell subjects to take it easy with the makeup besides hiring a makeup artist? It's not the first time I have ran into this.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Skin is fine. Her facial expression looks like she feels uncomfortable/awkward. Like she's halfway between trying to smile or look serious and isn't sure which she should be doing.

I kind of like the expression, but here is one where she is smiling:

Lindsey by Sheep Photo, on Flickr

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

iSheep posted:

As in when she applied it?

There's stuff you can do in post to fix it now like

rear end is my canvas posted:

You can use a selective color adjustment layer to lighten up the reds and magenta so they don't contrast so much with the pasty skin.

I actually don't mind the color myself, but I think she applied it kind of weird and it's doing weird things to the contours of her cheeks.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

Yeah, I'm finding this one to be a little creepy.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

"Is there a veterinarianin the house?"

"BECAUSE THESE PYTHONS ARE SICK!

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

1st AD posted:

There's stuff you can do in post to fix it now like

I actually don't mind the color myself, but I think she applied it kind of weird and it's doing weird things to the contours of her cheeks.

I think I found something that worked with some brush adjustments in Lightroom. I'll have to keep playing with it til I reach a point where I am tired of looking at the photo satisfied with the result.

Never ceases to amaze me the details you guys can spot that I wouldn't have in the first place.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Tanya
by SPV Photo, on Flickr

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 17, 2015

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Natalia
by SPV Photo, on Flickr

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

drat you warm weather havers.

Sten by Sheep Photo, on Flickr

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

I really like the first one. It's warm but not all-yellow thanks to the blue sky. It's a portrait of an atmosphere, and it works. It is a bit look-at-this-belly, but that's fine too.

The second shot seems a bit awkwardly posed to me. The composition is great, the exposure nice, but the model just seems to be in an awkward part of her spin. Her hand is a little claw-like there.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

^^ Yeah, I saw the claw. :( Still like it overall.

Tanya
by SPV Photo, on Flickr

Busy weekend.

Preemptive "I know her knee is blown out." ;)

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 19, 2015

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Picked up a camera for the first time in months over Christmas.

I'm way out of practice with my P6, so many shots where I've just missed focus. :(
Nobody will notice on Facebook, but I do and it hurts me.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

big scary monsters posted:

I'm way out of practice with my P6, so many shots where I've just missed focus. :(
Nobody will notice on Facebook, but I do and it hurts me.

I like your photos big scary monsters. They are honest and playful.

2015-43 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

big scary monsters posted:

Keep at it. I like them all, especially the first two.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

TomR posted:

I like your photos big scary monsters. They are honest and playful.
Hey, thank you! I hadn't thought about it in those terms before but that's actually a really good description of what I normally try for when I'm taking pictures of people.

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Keep at it. I like them all, especially the first two.
Thanks, I have a whole bunch of films to develop but I haven't got round to ordering a new C-41 kit yet. It was nice to be out taking pictures again after a fairly long time off so I'm excited to see how they turn out.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Hey guys, used to post a decent amount in the Dorkroom but I kind of fell into hibernation for a while, I'm thinking I should probably put an end to that. I used to mainly shoot urbex and nature stuff, but I recently moved to NYC and figured that if I was gonna start shooting portraiture seriously that now is the time. Got to the city with not much in my port but I ground out Model Mayhem models for a while and now I'm getting to the point where I'm working with agency models. I know the next step is getting a regular team together here but I'll be damned if it isn't difficult.

I'll start with a general question, what do you guys think of really stylized portraits (shooting through things, dragging the shutter, intentionally blurry shots, etc.)? I know that agencies like cleaner stuff and it's pretty much a no no in fashion unless it's really really well done, but I'm a total sucker for it. I'm assuming it's more of a matter of execution, but will having stuff like this really hinder me as long as I demonstrate I can shoot really solid normal poo poo as well? Some examples:

Untitled by audiesumaray, on Flickr

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

trip9 posted:

I'll start with a general question, what do you guys think of really stylized portraits (shooting through things, dragging the shutter, intentionally blurry shots, etc.)? I know that agencies like cleaner stuff and it's pretty much a no no in fashion unless it's really really well done, but I'm a total sucker for it. I'm assuming it's more of a matter of execution, but will having stuff like this really hinder me as long as I demonstrate I can shoot really solid normal poo poo as well? Some examples:

I love that stuff. Just know your audience. Yes, they might not find their way on an agency board, but there is a demand magazine editorials. Plus, it's a lot more creative and fun than shooting boring poo poo that will go on an agency board.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I love that first photo and I demand you tell me how you accomplished it.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

TheAngryDrunk posted:

I love that stuff. Just know your audience. Yes, they might not find their way on an agency board, but there is a demand magazine editorials. Plus, it's a lot more creative and fun than shooting boring poo poo that will go on an agency board.

I guess that's the benefit of being a glorified hobbyist, complete creative control since I don't rely on photography as a main source of income. My stuff just looks pretty different from a lot of the other photographers I'm following and seeing pop up in my social media, so I hope it comes off as interesting and not like it's amateur hour in here.

iSheep posted:

I love that first photo and I demand you tell me how you accomplished it.

All the photos except the third one were shot through a little plastic prism I got off amazon, you can get all kinds of crazy stuff shooting through random things in different kinds of light.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

trip9 posted:

All the photos except the third one were shot through a little plastic prism I got off amazon, you can get all kinds of crazy stuff shooting through random things in different kinds of light.

Have a link or search words? (pictures are awesome by the way)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Thoogsby posted:

Have a link or search words? (pictures are awesome by the way)

Thanks! Also I think this was the exact one: http://amzn.com/B0006Z8YB6