Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Thank you for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Gonna have to add my dose of 'gently caress printers' today.

We have a big service contract with xerox that we probably spend infinity dollars on, and it's supposed to cover printer consumables, service, et, al. - basically everything except paper.

I got a call today because their monitors showed that we were having a fuser error on one machine, and wanted us to confirm that the printer was inoperable. I check it out, and sure enough it is, so they were being surprisingly useful for the first time ever. I call them back and confirm, we walk through some stuff, the guy schedules a service on the device, and for the first time I'm happy with them.

A little while later I get a forwarded voicemail from my co-worker. They called her back instead of me, and since she wasn't in her office and they couldn't reach her, they close the ticket. I called them back, and they had no record of the ticket (even though their service created it to begin with), so we walk through all the steps of making a new one. They transfer me to the service department to troubleshoot, and the tech there doesn't believe my answers.

Xerox: What is the error message?
Me: Fuser unable to keep operational temperature.
Xerox: Where is the paper jam?
Me: There is no paper jam.
Xerox: So the printer is working correctly?
Me: No, it's not printing at all.

<repeat twice>

So finally she breaks and decides to send a new fuser, which is markedly less than the service that was scheduled prior. The worst thing is, this is one of the best interactions with xerox I've had yet.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Sounds a little scammy. At least, it's similar to the scam where a random company will call up under the guise of replacing supplies. Once you simply confirm the model of the printer you've got, they ship a shitload and pressure you to pay the invoice. Which makes this one extremely unlikely, considering the effort I guess.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
No, it's the legit xerox service centre we've been dealing with for years. It's all monitored centrally through their software to deal with automatic supply reordering, technical support and whatnot. They're just absolutely loving terrible at actually supporting things now, when in the first year or so it was a dream.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

poo poo pissing me off today every day: SharePoint.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Man I just love deploying a solution that someone else has specced out and then run away from. It turns out that the suitability of the equipment specified and purchased was "the website says it will do it", nothing was labbed up, no actual discussion with suppliers happened.

Predictably it's a loving clownshow.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Hahaha, my old manager is still trying to tell me what to do, that I am still going to be on first line and that i'll be on second line "pretty soon".

I've just gotten my new manager to chat to him. gently caress you, i'm out you colossal twat.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Found out I am making a change today that basically makes my job obsolete in about 12 months time. On the bright side, how many people get that much advanced notice!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

dogstile posted:

Hahaha, my old manager is still trying to tell me what to do, that I am still going to be on first line and that i'll be on second line "pretty soon".

I've just gotten my new manager to chat to him. gently caress you, i'm out you colossal twat.

Wait you transferred positions and your old manager was still trying to assign work to you?

HAHAHAHAHA

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Spazz posted:

poo poo pissing me off today every day: SharePoint.

My job has become a linguistic dance focused around ever working with this piece of garbage.
I got to try sharepoint online recently and a lot of the server-side hassle is removed, but god help you if you ever need access to anything under the surface.

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Found out I am making a change today that basically makes my job obsolete in about 12 months time. On the bright side, how many people get that much advanced notice!

The change will cause intermittent and unpredictable problems which only you know how to fix.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Manslaughter posted:

The change will cause intermittent and unpredictable problems which only you know how to fix.

You know though, I really don't care one bit about it. They want to run everything on a shoestring budget with magical performance and I am tired of constant "WE NEED PERFORMANCE MONITORING!!!" nonsense. VCOPS itself tells them that they have 1700 vCPU's wasted and we should reclaim .. which all by itself tells you how many issues we have. I can't fix anything because I can't force people to actually size their stuff properly, not even logic and showing them how less is more helps them works. So good riddance, enjoy "the cloud" with its much higher pricing to afford you the performance you demand.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

flosofl posted:

Wait you transferred positions and your old manager was still trying to assign work to you?

HAHAHAHAHA

Yup, I moved from support to test engineer. Because I work in the same room as before he's still trying to tell me what i'm doing in his new structure of support.

Not only that, but he's also trying to assign me to first line support, whereas before I transferred I was promised for months that i'd be second line once that structure came through. I saw that coming, the dude is a pathological liar.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Where do I find non-poo poo employees? We are hiring for a full time position and all the resumes we get are filled with bad grammar and other glaring mistakes, not to mention some of the info is just out right bogus looking.

I don't need perfection in a resume but you have to be able to put together something understandable.

I've never done hiring before so I don't know what I'm doing wrong with my searches.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Sylink posted:

I've never done hiring before so I don't know what I'm doing wrong with my searches.

Problem might be with your job description, not your searches. Where are you posting the job listing to?

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

We have been using resumator, which does a good job of giving us a submission form to put out. And then it posts to the boards like Indeed and w/e for us.

I also posted it in the job thread here - goons

Please hack it to pieces, I literally don't know where to go with this. Normally we put up the company name but in this case we are trying to replace a current employee and we are too small to just get rid of him and then search.

Beyond resumator its mostly craigslist postings.

Sylink fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 11, 2015

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Sylink posted:

Where do I find non-poo poo employees? We are hiring for a full time position and all the resumes we get are filled with bad grammar and other glaring mistakes, not to mention some of the info is just out right bogus looking.

I don't need perfection in a resume but you have to be able to put together something understandable.

Welcome to the world of hiring. This is part of why there are so many people screaming "why are we giving out so many H1-Bs when I can't get a job?!"

I had to wade through literal rivers of poo poo when trying to find competent Android developers. I never, ever want to see another resume from CyberCoders, everyone they sent was unmitigated garbage.

Edit: if I recall, there's a hiring thread in CoC, try posting there too.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 9, 2015

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I also have the problem of I get some insane dude who was working on Unix since the 70s and is so overqualified we can't afford him.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Sylink posted:

I also have the problem of I get some insane dude who was working on Unix since the 70s and is so overqualified we can't afford him.

Do you know you can't afford him, or did you just assume? Some retirees decide to reenter the workforce so that they have something to do.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Sylink posted:

That's a bad assumption to make.

Did you post salary ranges? If so and he's applying for the job, give him a chance. It's fair to flat-out mention this and see what he has to say about it.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Our salary range is perhaps $18-$30/hr depending, though our approach is to go low and offer accelerated raises if the person works out. For example, I got a 50% raise the first year.

And our night staff is based in Ukraine where the COL is even lower.

We are admittedly cheap but being 100% remote we all live in low cost of living areas like the midwest, so we don't look for people in the major tech areas where salaries would have to double. This is great feedback, though, thank you guys.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Sylink posted:

He might be overqualified on paper, but what if every single hiring manager made the same assumption as you? He might be completely desperate at this point.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The key is to do remote work for a company in the DC, NY, or SF area so you can get paid the part to live in a city half the COL.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

psydude posted:

The key is to do remote work for a company in the DC, NY, or SF area so you can get paid the part to live in a city half the COL.

:agreed:

Got the "remote for a business in SF" part down, now I just need to figure out where I can go that's still an area they allow remote workers from.

e:

Sylink posted:

We are admittedly cheap but being 100% remote we all live in low cost of living areas like the midwest, so we don't look for people in the major tech areas where salaries would have to double. This is great feedback, though, thank you guys.

I swear there was another poster in one of the threads that was looking for remote workers from flyover states, and by far and away the most frequent answer was "if you want good remote workers you have to be competitive with jobs in high-CoL areas"

e2: Nevermind, it was Hacker News. Still applicable though.

Alliterate Addict fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 9, 2015

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Sylink posted:

Our salary range is perhaps $18-$30/hr depending, though our approach is to go low and offer accelerated raises if the person works out. For example, I got a 50% raise the first year.

And our night staff is based in Ukraine where the COL is even lower.

I think I see why you're only getting crap resumes.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'm working form home today. loving love it. I wouldn't want to do it more than twice a week, because it definitely helps to interface with the rest of my team in person, but god drat if it isn't nice to be able to do 80% of my job without actually having to go to the office.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

psydude posted:

Company based in SF and Boston. I live in Oklahoma.

It's great, except for the part where I live in Oklahoma.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

ConfusedUs posted:

Company based in SF and Boston. I live in Oklahoma.

It's great, except for the part where I live in Oklahoma.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Sylink posted:

We are admittedly cheap

Help, I am stuck in a well!

If you are paying low end you are either going to have to get lucky or you are going to have to get someone under your requirements for someone good long term. Its really hard to cheap out AND stick someone with an evening/nighttime shift. I am actually surprised you have someone who will willingly work it now.

My advice would be to think about getting someone stable to train on the job to replace the person you have.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 9, 2015

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

psydude posted:

I'm working form home today. loving love it. I wouldn't want to do it more than twice a week, because it definitely helps to interface with the rest of my team in person, but god drat if it isn't nice to be able to do 80% of my job without actually having to go to the office.

Weekly teleworking is the poo poo.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Sylink posted:

We have been using resumator, which does a good job of giving us a submission form to put out. And then it posts to the boards like Indeed and w/e for us.

I also posted it in the job thread here - http://mojojojo.theresumator.com/apply/oXlQUJ/Linux-Engineer-Evening-Shift.html

Please hack it to pieces, I literally don't know where to go with this. Normally we put up the company name but in this case we are trying to replace a current employee and we are too small to just get rid of him and then search.

Beyond resumator its mostly craigslist postings.

"Linux Engineer"

"Entry Level"

Dude it's T1-T2 helpdesk. Nothing about that requires the word engineer. I took one look at it and said "Hey I qualify for most of that but I'd have to be clinically retarded to work that job".

Also the minute I'm loving with visualization and CLI w/root, I'm no longer low enough on the totem pole to be making poo poo money and dealing with customers as a primary support dude.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
poo poo pissing me off:

In TYOOL 2015 I have to edit .ics files in order to properly set up recurring events that are aware of weekends. Neither Outlook nor Google Calendar can do what I want!

iCal can do it, but I don't have iCal available at the moment

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Sylink posted:

though our approach is to go low and offer accelerated raises if the person works out. For example, I got a 50% raise the first year.

Unless you're putting large guaranteed wage increases into the contact, the candidate is going to assume that you're full of poo poo.

Echoing the "you're offering garbage wages, enjoy the garbage employees" bit.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Volmarias posted:

Echoing the "you're offering garbage wages, enjoy the garbage employees" bit.

I'm always amazed what what people think "You get what you pay for" doesn't apply to.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Rhymenoserous posted:

"Linux Engineer"

"Entry Level"

Dude it's T1-T2 helpdesk. Nothing about that requires the word engineer. I took one look at it and said "Hey I qualify for most of that but I'd have to be clinically retarded to work that job".

Also the minute I'm loving with visualization and CLI w/root, I'm no longer low enough on the totem pole to be making poo poo money and dealing with customers as a primary support dude.

I kind of appreciate that engineering is a protected profession in Canada, and you can't call yourself one unless you're accredited.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I kind of appreciate that engineering is a protected profession in Canada, and you can't call yourself one unless you're accredited.

It's technically the same in the USA. A real Engineer passed the engineering test in his/her profession and is usually state certified as a engineer. The problem arrises when the field doesn't have a engineering test, such as Linux or Networking.

Then you have companies that don't give a poo poo and say stuff like "Here's our 'Mechanical Engineer'* "

*Bachelors, no state certification, oh god please don't sue us when our product explodes and kills somebody.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

psydude posted:

I'm working-from-home on Wednesday and Fridays now, Fridays are always super quiet in NYC so pretty much no point to go in anyway. I like to go into the city just for the walk and to get about, if anything I do less in the city as I have better computer equipment and a faster network at home.

I own a music store in CT that has a gigantic couch and TV so it is pretty cool to chill out there listen to people play music, VPN into the office and work away.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

ratbert90 posted:

It's technically the same in the USA. A real Engineer passed the engineering test in his/her profession and is usually state certified as a engineer. The problem arrises when the field doesn't have a engineering test, such as Linux or Networking.

Then you have companies that don't give a poo poo and say stuff like "Here's our 'Mechanical Engineer'* "

*Bachelors, no state certification, oh god please don't sue us when our product explodes and kills somebody.
I know this is engineer elitism, but it doesn't matter whether you're a PE or not unless you're signing or stamping. It's not like it conveys some mystical knowledge above and beyond what a bachelor's does, other than needing some time under supervision from a PE, but many non-certified engineers get that anyway.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I always get a little laugh out of on-site techs closing their case with "repaired damage done by mice/water voles to phone cable". Guess some of the places are a bit rural.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

evol262 posted:

I know this is engineer elitism, but it doesn't matter whether you're a PE or not unless you're signing or stamping. It's not like it conveys some mystical knowledge above and beyond what a bachelor's does, other than needing some time under supervision from a PE, but many non-certified engineers get that anyway.

Oh I know, however calling somebody who is doing helpdesk a "Linux Engineer" also pisses me off because I consider a engineer one who creates things. If companies agreed to just that, then sure, but it's gotten to the point where companies are calling bill the helpdesk guy a Customer Service Engineer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
What is it about email distrobution lists that make executives such a loving headache? If you want to send an email to the entire "Sales Dept" then choose the sales distro group then go throughout your loving day. Stop worrying about who is in sales, you know who is in sales, you don't need to verify just to make sure you loving prick.

I have an exec that I believe go through each distro list daily just to bitch about someone being in the wrong group (they aren't) or complain about the limitation of dynamic distro lists.