Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

BlitzBlast posted:

It's called GODHAND and is made the same way katanas are. Also it's really expensive. Ergo, it must be the best thing ever.

It really is a good flush cutter, but it's not actually worth like $40.

Yes, folded over hundreds of times, it can cut through a gateway that's actually a broadsword

I only got it so I could get very close, do a minor Xacto shave, and move on. So far I'm happier snap building; painting has its merits but I'm OK with stock colors thus far. As such if I have a tool that reduces building time effectively, I'm all about it.

and also getting my hands on as many as I can to hock on Ebay for ridiculous amounts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Thanks for the answers, guys.

MJP posted:

I only got it so I could get very close, do a minor Xacto shave, and move on. So far I'm happier snap building; painting has its merits but I'm OK with stock colors thus far. As such if I have a tool that reduces building time effectively, I'm all about it.

This is about where I'm at, so I'll be on the lookout for one.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if you ever get poor results with GODHAND, dont blame the tool. You simply lack the skill the wield GODHAND

It really does cut better than a $20 nipper, but not much better than a $35 one. What it does do is stay sharp for a long time and give consistent results

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 9, 2015

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

MJP posted:

Yes, folded over hundreds of times, it can cut through a gateway that's actually a broadsword

and also getting my hands on as many as I can to hock on Ebay for ridiculous amounts

lookit this scrub limiting his gunpla's performance, painting for life. :smug:.

I am tempted to buy the godhand just because of the name.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Believe in the heart of the sprue cutters

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

How does your hand feel after extended GODHAND use?

Looking at this

http://www.amazon.com/God-Hand-Spn-120-Ultimate-Nipper/dp/B008S51O22

It reminds me of lovely crimping tools and wire cutters that will make you hate life after a short period of use.

I can't see replacing my Xuron snipper until it breaks. Very comfortable to use and works well.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

madpanda posted:

How does your hand feel after extended GODHAND use?

Looking at this

http://www.amazon.com/God-Hand-Spn-120-Ultimate-Nipper/dp/B008S51O22

It reminds me of lovely crimping tools and wire cutters that will make you hate life after a short period of use.

I can't see replacing my Xuron snipper until it breaks. Very comfortable to use and works well.

Yeah but does your Xuron have an anthropomorphized moe girl representation? Check and mate, Xuron.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I recently replaced a super old pair of Hobby Lobby cutters with a nice pair of Xurons and it's like night and day. Probably cut an hour off my assembly time just because I have to do so much less work cleaning nubs up.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I bought cheap Tamiya cutters in a modeling starter kit and they're more than adequate. For anything more there's knives and color matching paint markers.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Hell, I used nail clippers for years and they made a cleaner cut than 90 percent of the nippers I've tried.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander

Bimmi posted:

Hell, I used nail clippers for years and they made a cleaner cut than 90 percent of the nippers I've tried.

Were you using a rusty pair of tin snips before? :gonk:

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Don't knock it till you've tried it. My Xuron cuts less cleanly than a fresh pair of clippers did. I only stopped using them because I changed my approach and they're also a pain in the rear end to get in at certain angles.

edit: actually my Xuron nippers are among my least-loved tool purchases, since I found the cut quality to be no better than a meatball Radio shack wirecutter at three times the price. I still use them for first-stage parts removal but for fine work, as always, nothing beats my trusty pleezers.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 9, 2015

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

slightpirate posted:

Were you using a rusty pair of tin snips before? :gonk:

Those tin snips have been passed down in my family for generations!

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Warmachine posted:

Those tin snips have been passed down in my family for generations!

The legacy of the tin snippers vs. the GODHAND

I want a build fighters episode based off of this.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I started off with ancient Xurons made for Testors that I got I think in 2008 for a Throne Eins someone gave me free, which I never finished. They liked to mangle cuts.

I got a pair of UMM sprue cutters. They're a small pair of those pleezers, basically, and my fingers hurt from using them for extended periods of time.

Just got a pair of Xuron 2175ETs and while the motion is smooth and wonderful, the cut is slightly dirtier than the UMMs.

I had a $2 flush cutter I got off Aliexpress. NOPE

Monaghan posted:

lookit this scrub limiting his gunpla's performance, painting for life. :smug:.

Please add two hours to my average weekday so I have time to do the needful as far as painting goes :allears:

I've done okay so far with hand-priming and hand-painting seams that didn't sand away after Extra Thinning, Alclad for effect parts and weapons/accessories, that sorta thing. The QUEL I've got in progress is my first attempt at fully painting - snip and clean nubs for the parts, set them aside, prime the parts, preshade, paint, gloss coat, panel line, and topcoat. I find more fun in assembling, so this just increases the fun factor.

Would that I had such ancestral tin-snips, I could probably learn to sharpen them with a Dremel for long happy life.

MJP fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 9, 2015

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
GODHAND nippers fuckin own. You'll scoff as you take them out of the lightning covered package and then you'll cut with them and feel like you just invented fire.

Basically:

Fauxtool posted:

if you ever get poor results with GODHAND, dont blame the tool. You simply lack the skill the wield GODHAND

It really does cut better than a $20 nipper, but not much better than a $35 one. What it does do is stay sharp for a long time and give consistent results

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I bought a katana to get rid of nubs.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

MJP posted:

Please add two hours to my average weekday so I have time to do the needful as far as painting goes :allears:

Would that I had such ancestral tin-snips, I could probably learn to sharpen them with a Dremel for long happy life.

You could just be like me and take two months to finish a kit.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Monaghan posted:

You could just be like me and take two months to finish a kit.

At this rate I am becoming that. The holiday-included backlog and the Banzai Hobby sale didn't help either :-(

At this rate I'll be getting an MG X Divider even though I've never seen Gundam X.

If nothing else it'd be a good thing, because my wife upon having seen Try simply cannot get over "space microwaves from the moon"

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Everyone should get MG X Divider on principle, it's the best design in the entirety of AW.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Bought a MG gundam X waiting to learn how to airbrush and watch gundam X before I build it. Its box is pretty in the pile.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I would gladly get me an MG X Divider if they would just, you know, make one.

edit: my hands are prone to all sorts of aches and pains but I've never experienced any notable discomfort using despruing tweezers. I only use them to cut the very thinnest part of the gate, though — to cut thicker sprue I go with the stronger bite of your standard nippers, and I use the two-stage cutting process specifically so I can get the best and most comfortable angle to make the final "beauty cut" with the tweezers.

The GodHand seems sort of silly and overpriced based on the not-so-great results I've seen from it. One thing I do like about it, though, is the extreme thinness of the cutting blade — the thick, wedge-shaped blades of standard nippers tend to twist parts when cutting through thick sprue, which can lead to tearing at the gate or even breakage, and even exercising all caution is sometimes not enough to keep this from happening. A tool that doesn't lose its edge in the very first week of use is also worth paying extra for, IMO.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 10, 2015

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Bimmi posted:

I would gladly get me an MG X Divider if they would just, you know, make one.

edit: my hands are prone to all sorts of aches and pains but I've never experienced any notable discomfort using despruing tweezers. I only use them to cut the very thinnest part of the gate, though — to cut thicker sprue I go with the stronger bite of your standard nippers, and I use the two-stage cutting process specifically so I can get the best and most comfortable angle to make the final "beauty cut" with the tweezers.

The GodHand seems sort of silly and overpriced based on the not-so-great results I've seen from it. One thing I do like about it, though, is the extreme thinness of the cutting blade — the thick, wedge-shaped blades of standard nippers tend to twist parts when cutting through thick sprue, which can lead to tearing at the gate or even breakage, and even exercising all caution is sometimes not enough to keep this from happening. A tool that doesn't lose its edge in the very first week of use is also worth paying extra for, IMO.

I agree that it's overrated and overpriced (I actually need to sharpen or hone the edge on mine), but you're spot-on about the rest of it. It really is a nice piece of equipment. I'd probably just buy Tamiya nippers next time though. I'm done with Xuron.

Can anyone help me figure out some bits on this custom: http://www.gunjap.net/site/?p=226220

It's mostly fairly self evident, but a few details, like the head, elude me. I think it's Zabanya based, but I'm not sure.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Just gonna steal Taurus' thunder and announce XC is making MG Football Astray.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
futbawww

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Glad to see someone filling the serious lack of Warcraft shoulderpads in contemporary MS design.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
so who is gonna make the 150m gebera straight

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

muike posted:

so who is gonna make the 150m gebera straight

I was going to make a joke about how it'd just be a real katana, but then I realized that at 1/100 scale, that'd still be too small.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
A nodachi may be of the appropriate size, goonsire

muike fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 10, 2015

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
One step closer to the big powerloader suit.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

muike posted:

A nodachi may be of the appropriate size, goonsire

That is amazing.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
What the gently caress is that on its back

Oh my god, did they put the loving Kai parts on there?

Jesus christ, who do I have to kill to get a proper loving Red Frame without that awful, lovely sword/bow thing

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
you could just take it off, i guess...or you could kill :twisted:

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
You're right, I could just take it off, but my crippling OCD wants a proper Red Frame backpack/thruster unit there even if I'll never see it

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The normal backpack is there, isn't it? it's just folded down over the bootycheeks

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Son Ryo posted:

Jesus christ, who do I have to kill to get a proper loving Red Frame without that awful, lovely sword/bow thing

If you want it that much, why don't you just get the exclusive? Or the 1/100?

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

muike posted:

The normal backpack is there, isn't it? it's just folded down over the bootycheeks
Not on the regular Kai MG-- at least, not as far as I can tell from Dalong. I don't know anything about this new kit though.

BlitzBlast posted:

If you want it that much, why don't you just get the exclusive? Or the 1/100?

I wish I could have gotten the exclusive, but they're not selling it any more, are they?

And I've thought about getting the 1/100 a few times. I've never gotten a 1/100 that's not a MG, but it seems like kind of a waste of money-- I don't have a lot of income so I'd rather get just one kit that's the definitive version of that mobile suit, if I can.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

They just closed orders for the second batch yesterday. I'm assuming you missed it though, so just look for resellers. This one's probably your best deal.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
7000 yen before shipping seems kind of outrageous for a standard-size Master Grade, though. Not sure why Bandai felt the need to make it a Hobby Web Exclusive. I'm sure they could've done a standard release. If they're reprinting it, it obviously shows there is a demand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Do all transformable kits look like total rear end when transformed into a plane or is it just the Lightning Gundam?