Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spagghentleman
Jan 1, 2013
So I'm dead sick of trying to lug around my Marshall 2266 and Stiletto 4x12 cab. It sounds great, but it's just an absolute pain to move around. Doesn't help that I have a two-door car now.

I'm looking at trading for a decent 2x12 combo, and I've gotten offers for a 2266C (basically the same amp in combo form) and a Mesa 5:50 Express 2x12. I'm leaning towards the Mesa. I know I'm losing money (sort of) on my end, but I only paid $700 for the head and $500 for the cab used. I know I could sell each separately and probably make that back as they both look brand new, but I hate selling gear and dealing with lowballs and crap - I just want to trade and be done with it. Could I do much better? It's so hard to get asking price for gear these days, trading seems like my easiest option, but it's slim pickings around here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plerocercoid
Feb 14, 2012
I just noticed that the all-in bundle for Amplitube is on sale at $299.99, down from $749.94 (http://www.ikmultimedia.com/hng/). Any opinions on whether it would be worth getting as a beginner guitarist? I've been playing for about a year and a half and use a Vox pocket amp and Rocksmith right now. The tone designer in Rocksmith seems to be similar to what Amplitube offers, but nowhere near the same level of quality. It works well enough for me now, but if the Amplitube deal is good enough I'd be willing to grab it while it's 60% off for when I'm (hopefully) competent enough to make good use of its extra features.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I have a question regarding volume. I read on the Reverb blog that you should use a cab with twice the wattage capabilities of your amp's stated wattage, and that you can use a 50W cab with a 50W head but you shouldn't dime everything and use pedals that boost the volume. That doesn't really make sense to me when you have cabs designed for amps that are the same wattage as the amp. Surely they wouldn't make a cab specifically for an amp only to have it poo poo itself when you decide to actually turn it up or use a loud pedal. If my cab is rated at 60W and my amp is 50W does that mean if I really crank it and chuck in a volume boosting pedal (Like a Pickle or something cranked) it's a bad thing? That seems a bit stupid.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

IronLawnmower posted:

Oh joy. How will I know when it's crapping out? How do I replace the lovely stock tubes and which ones with what?

you will know and just google it, I can't remember which site has the best deals now.

just don't eBay "peavey replacement tube set" cause those are marked up. you will p only need to replace your power tubes but honestly the Chinese preamp tubes are usually doo doo and changing the v1/v2 12ax's would be preferable.

but you'll have to prob take it to a tech to bias it and such but like the poster mentioned you'll wanna have them look it over regardless

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

syntaxfunction posted:

I have a question regarding volume. I read on the Reverb blog that you should use a cab with twice the wattage capabilities of your amp's stated wattage, and that you can use a 50W cab with a 50W head but you shouldn't dime everything and use pedals that boost the volume. That doesn't really make sense to me when you have cabs designed for amps that are the same wattage as the amp. Surely they wouldn't make a cab specifically for an amp only to have it poo poo itself when you decide to actually turn it up or use a loud pedal. If my cab is rated at 60W and my amp is 50W does that mean if I really crank it and chuck in a volume boosting pedal (Like a Pickle or something cranked) it's a bad thing? That seems a bit stupid.

I may be wrong, but I think it's basically the same as redlining a car. You can do it, but it sure isn't good for it to be done all the time. :iiaca:

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
remember your heads wattage rating is usually when it is clean, when you push it, it is running higher than it's normal RMS, that's why Hendrix played out of the bass super lead cabs instead because they were higher rated and fender/Marshall/70s manufacturers didn't think people would push them thattttt loud

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

JustAwful posted:

So I'm dead sick of trying to lug around my Marshall 2266 and Stiletto 4x12 cab. It sounds great, but it's just an absolute pain to move around. Doesn't help that I have a two-door car now.

I'm looking at trading for a decent 2x12 combo, and I've gotten offers for a 2266C (basically the same amp in combo form) and a Mesa 5:50 Express 2x12. I'm leaning towards the Mesa. I know I'm losing money (sort of) on my end, but I only paid $700 for the head and $500 for the cab used. I know I could sell each separately and probably make that back as they both look brand new, but I hate selling gear and dealing with lowballs and crap - I just want to trade and be done with it. Could I do much better? It's so hard to get asking price for gear these days, trading seems like my easiest option, but it's slim pickings around here.

A 2x12 combo isn't going to be any easier to move, a combo is like carrying a 2x12 cab and a head at once. My 5150 2x12 is annoying as hell to carry, I'd much rather have a head and a 4x12. If you're concerned about space, you'd be better off replacing the 4x12 cab with a 2x12 cab.

Spagghentleman
Jan 1, 2013

dxt posted:

A 2x12 combo isn't going to be any easier to move, a combo is like carrying a 2x12 cab and a head at once. My 5150 2x12 is annoying as hell to carry, I'd much rather have a head and a 4x12. If you're concerned about space, you'd be better off replacing the 4x12 cab with a 2x12 cab.

I went for the Mesa 5:50 2x12 and it isn't that bad. Actually fits in the trunk of my car. Sounds great too. The clean channel on these things rival Fender.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

There's no simple calculation for understanding the output performance of a tube amplifier with a matched load.

Things to consider:

The rectifiers ability to provide a continuous high B+.

The filter capacitors ability to smooth the B+ supply.

Tube saturation and class AB crossover distortion.

Output transformer saturation.

The biggest reason to oversize the power handling of the load is because you're giving yourself some wiggle room before you damage the drivers, and nobody likes blowing speakers.

If you really want to determine the wattage delivered to the load, you'll need to measure the voltage at the output and do some math (W = V^2/R)

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

plerocercoid posted:

I just noticed that the all-in bundle for Amplitube is on sale at $299.99, down from $749.94 (http://www.ikmultimedia.com/hng/). Any opinions on whether it would be worth getting as a beginner guitarist? I've been playing for about a year and a half and use a Vox pocket amp and Rocksmith right now. The tone designer in Rocksmith seems to be similar to what Amplitube offers, but nowhere near the same level of quality. It works well enough for me now, but if the Amplitube deal is good enough I'd be willing to grab it while it's 60% off for when I'm (hopefully) competent enough to make good use of its extra features.

I would get a proper amp so you can play out. You can get a Mustang III v2 for ~$300 and that will give you a tremendous amount of versatility. Alternatively you can go for a used tube amp in that price range. I like Amplitube myself (use the free version that came with my Mustang) but $300 is a pretty stupid amount of money to just play on your laptop unless you plan on making some specific recordings with it. Also Rocksmith sounds like total garbage compared to what any half decent amp program (hell even Garageband) will sound like.

plerocercoid
Feb 14, 2012

unlawfulsoup posted:

I would get a proper amp so you can play out. You can get a Mustang III v2 for ~$300 and that will give you a tremendous amount of versatility. Alternatively you can go for a used tube amp in that price range. I like Amplitube myself (use the free version that came with my Mustang) but $300 is a pretty stupid amount of money to just play on your laptop unless you plan on making some specific recordings with it. Also Rocksmith sounds like total garbage compared to what any half decent amp program (hell even Garageband) will sound like.

I rent a small condo with super thin walls, so plugging my headphones into a computer is more practical than cluttering things up with another piece of equipment. Between the free version and the little Vox pocket amp I'm probably good, I just wanted to see if this was some sort of killer deal that was worth grabbing.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
For $300 you could buy an 11rack which is awesome for config, USB recording, and interfacing with protools.

I use mine for practice and then just run it into effects loop of my real amp for practice with the band.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

plerocercoid posted:

I rent a small condo with super thin walls, so plugging my headphones into a computer is more practical than cluttering things up with another piece of equipment. Between the free version and the little Vox pocket amp I'm probably good, I just wanted to see if this was some sort of killer deal that was worth grabbing.

The Mustang I or Micro Terror are pretty small, and you can plug headphones into them or drag it around to someplace where people don't care if you make noise. I mean whatever works for you, but it sounds kind of depressing not really playing into an amp at all. I run my fairly big MIII at pretty low levels because I value most of my hearing, but it is nice to be able to play with other people and be heard.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
when y'all are changing your tubes do you tend to stick with fairly stock tubes and whatever brand's available or do you mess around with different brands and types?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

muike posted:

when y'all are changing your tubes do you tend to stick with fairly stock tubes and whatever brand's available or do you mess around with different brands and types?

preamp tubes I dance around, power tubes I tend to just stick with JJ, never really failed me.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Smash it Smash hit posted:

preamp tubes I dance around, power tubes I tend to just stick with JJ, never really failed me.

Pretty much this. I've never noticed a difference in power tubes but man, pre tubes can make a huge difference. I got an NOS set of RCA 12ax7s and put them in a Blues Junior and it was like taking a blanket off the amp.

That being said, I avoid Sovtek tubes these days, a frightening amount of them are duds in my experience.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Putting Tung Sol preamp tubes in my Night Train made the preamp overdrive far less fizzy, which was a great overall improvement

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

For new production tubes I've had fairly good luck with tung-sol.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
The only Sovteks worth a poo poo are Mesa's but gently caress paying what they charge.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Attention!!! Only OUR TUBES work with OUR AMPS*

*not actually true ok

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

comes along bort posted:

The only Sovteks worth a poo poo are Mesa's but gently caress paying what they charge.

Most tubes are Sovtek, but other companies buy them up in big lots, test them, match them and resell them. Groove Tubes, Ruby, and a couple more.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

For guitar applications, so long as the tube is within spec, for what it's "supposed to be," (which often means looking at RCA datasheets), and provided the tube is properly biased, I doubt you'll ever notice much difference. Construction differences can change the character of the tube, but the majority of your sound is the result of the circuit, not the result of the tube.

I'm always amazed at how much people will spend for NOS tubes. Maybe it sounds great, but at the end of the day, you're buying a fifty year old piece of technology with a finite lifespan. This is doubly true if you're buying a NOS power tube for class A operation.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Got my amp in this morning, let it acclimate for a few hours, now i'm just running it in standby for a while. So long as the tubes haven't already exploded, I imagine it's doing pretty alright.

Edit: The active EQ is pretty interesting, I can tell it's going to take me some time to get used to it. Right now I've just left all the eq settings as 12 o'clock until I get my main guitar back.

muike fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 8, 2015

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

HollisBrown posted:

Most tubes are Sovtek, but other companies buy them up in big lots, test them, match them and resell them. Groove Tubes, Ruby, and a couple more.

Yeah like I said, only the Mesa branded ones are worth a poo poo out of the ones you listed.

muike posted:

Attention!!! Only OUR TUBES work with OUR AMPS*

*not actually true ok

IIRC it has to do with their warranty.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Is there an amp or head and cab combo that will do 'the Marshall sound' better than an SL5 for around $500?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Peavey VTM or Sovtek Mig 50.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Southern Heel posted:

Is there an amp or head and cab combo that will do 'the Marshall sound' better than an SL5 for around $500?

If you can find a Peavey butcher, they are dirt cheap and emulate it pretty well. They are called the Mississippi Marshall iirc

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Yeah, the VTM or Butcher will do you well. They're rising in price because the internet, but they're still around for under $500 easily. Warning: they're ridiculously heavy

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
RE tube chat: The tubes in my princeton are getting on about 3 years old at this point. It get's maybe 5-6 hours play a week. Should I just change tubes or is there a way to tell when they are going?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Southern Heel posted:

How much wattage do you need?

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

If you can find a Peavey butcher, they are dirt cheap and emulate it pretty well. They are called the Mississippi Marshall iirc

The 80s Butcher, not the recent Peavey Butcher.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

the wizards beard posted:

The 80s Butcher, not the recent Peavey Butcher.

Yeah youre right the reissue is garbage

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
friend picked up the 80s butcher for like 250 on CL so they can be found prettty cheap.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
There's also the Peavey Windsor, which was marketed as a Marshall-type amp as well. Pretty sure they go for under $300 used too.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I'd probably second the Sovtek MIG recommendation, although even they have increased in value quite a bit lately.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I still see them fairly cheap, but I guess the days of like 200 bucks is gone

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
q: how hard would it be to install a stereo setting for my 412 similar to how the 1960a cabinets do it?

a:?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Traynor YBAs can get Marshally tones but they've also gone up in price

It's hard out here for a pimp

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

q: how hard would it be to install a stereo setting for my 412 similar to how the 1960a cabinets do it?

a:?

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/S-H700

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

perfect, thanks!