Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Why would a New Jersey guy cheer for a New York team? I mean, I know that they play in east Rutherford today, but they were originally New York not Jersey teams. I don't expect someone from Oklahoma to be a Dallas fan even if they live just across the border on I-35.

I would expect someone from Oklahoma to be a Cowboys fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

say no to bats posted:

News: After recent events and all the smoke and rumors leading up to them, the Browns are already being considered "A gigantic mess" again across the league. Just as dysfunctional and hosed up internally as the past few HC/FO/Owner combinations.

Its almost a guarantee after 2015 with the AFC and NFC west on tap and no QB whatsoever on the roster that the Browns regress a lot on the W/L side of things and you will see the entire thing be blown up yet again.

:rip:

Also Haslam is the one sending plays down to the sidelines during games. Which is not even the worst thing he has done as he rapidly climbs to Snyderdom status.

Browns will move up to get Winston, so don't worry duders.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Mr. Nice! posted:

Both the Giants and Jets are New York teams. Christie is the governor of New Jersey. He's as beholden to the neighbor state's team as he is someone from Oklahoma or Nebraska.

I think Christie is just a bandwagon fan who in the 70s or whenever the Cowboys were good jumped on and then just stayed on. That's my guess as to why he likes the Cowboys. That said it is unusual for a governor or public official to not root for the local team because it makes it easier to pander to the public.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

AfterFather posted:

I wish this could be brought up more. One call does not make an entire game.

The first thing I said after the game was "That call cost Detroit the game but not if Dallas doesn't turn around from a mostly flaccid first half, so good on them". It's too bad you aren't cool and FB buddies with me like Hizawk, otherwise you would have known that :colbert:

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Randandal posted:

Welcome to the past decade of being a Dallas fan.

Dude, that isn't in the same ballpark as being a fan of a team like Detroit. Even in the "lost decade" of the 00's, the Cowboys were a game over .500 (http://home.jps.net/~fos/nfl/nfl00s.htm), went to the playoffs 3x, and won a couple playoff games. The Lions were 42-119 during that same period. That's a bad team. Dallas has five rings. One of a just a few teams that won multiple super bowls with different core rosters. The winningest NFC team (and #3 overall) since the merger. Take it from me; a Steelers fan married to a Bills fan and best friends with a Browns fan. You and I have absolutely no idea what it's like to be emotionally invested in a truly bad NFL team.

The Little Kielbasa fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 9, 2015

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

say no to bats posted:

News: After recent events and all the smoke and rumors leading up to them, the Browns are already being considered "A gigantic mess" again across the league. Just as dysfunctional and hosed up internally as the past few HC/FO/Owner combinations.

Its almost a guarantee after 2015 with the AFC and NFC west on tap and no QB whatsoever on the roster that the Browns regress a lot on the W/L side of things and you will see the entire thing be blown up yet again.

:rip:

Also Haslam is the one sending plays down to the sidelines during games. Which is not even the worst thing he has done as he rapidly climbs to Snyderdom status.

That sounds more like rumors than news but I do agree Haslam is awful

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Zoran posted:

There is actually a wide variety of fans. I would say majority are cowboys fans but with a percentage in the 30s

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Metapod posted:

There is actually a wide variety of fans. I would say majority are cowboys fans but with a percentage in the 30s

Most Oklahomans I know hate everything about Texas. It's not at all surprising that Christe's a Cowboys fan.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

say no to bats posted:

I refuse to believe this.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

Most Oklahomans I know hate everything about Texas. It's not at all surprising that Christe's a Cowboys fan.

there are a lot of people like that

curiosity fucked me up
Oct 7, 2014

BGrifter posted:

That game?

That pic will be burned into my mind forever

Also, some more context on how salty we are in Detroit: http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2015/01/08/detroit-lions-billboards-referee-lyin-fans/21446357/

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

commieB posted:

That pic will be burned into my mind forever

It's not his fault, he was filled with an uncontrollable urge to do the time warp agaaaaaaaaaaaain...

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

pasaluki posted:

I think Christie is just a bandwagon fan who in the 70s or whenever the Cowboys were good jumped on and then just stayed on. That's my guess as to why he likes the Cowboys. That said it is unusual for a governor or public official to not root for the local team because it makes it easier to pander to the public.

He was a big Staubach fan growing up and was on his Football Life special as well

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Zoran posted:

I was born in Oklahoma, I live in North Carolina. gently caress the cowboys.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

Pretty much this.

Also, not that I personally give a poo poo as to what team the honorable Chris Christie cheers for, but this is also why he deserves to get poo poo on by Giants and Jets fans. The dude was born in Newark. He went to college in Newark. The rear end in a top hat is Mr. New Jersey, but he's a Cowboys fan? Someone needs to go back in time and tell him to grow a spine and cheer for his hometown team instead of riding the bandwagon.

it's a stupid game where people try to move a goofy egg shaped ball from one side of the field to another who gives a poo poo who someone roots for

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MourningView posted:

it's a stupid game where people try to move a goofy egg shaped ball from one side of the field to another who gives a poo poo who someone roots for

Millions of voters probably, he should be happy that Dallas didn't do anything for the last decade.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

MourningView posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Ive-Always-Been-Yankees-Fan/dp/0974670189

There's some weird carryover between sports and politics. As if you can determine the character of the person based solely on which team they cheer for.

But you can get Steelers, Cowboys, Lions, Browns, Vikings, Bills, Ravens and Falcons fans in agreement that the little weasel dude who went from being a 9ers fan in the 80's to a Cowboys fan in the 90's to a Pats fan in the 00's should never be entrusted with any public position higher than janitor.

Abugadu fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 9, 2015

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Abugadu posted:

But you can get Steelers, Cowboys, Lions, Browns, Vikings, Bills, Ravens and Falcons fans in agreement that the little weasel dude who went from being a 9ers fan in the 80's to a Cowboys fan in the 90's to a Pats fan in the 00's should never be entrusted with any public position higher than janitor.

This is also fine, and if anything probably shows good judgment since it would mean you are not limiting your enjoyment of the sport out of some dumb childish loyalty to an ever shifting group of people who could not possibly care less about you and whose only connection to you is the stupid outfit they are required to wear by their employer.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jan 9, 2015

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

I went to Oklahoma for an Autumn Sunday leefpeeping drive in their eastern "mountains" a few years ago (the timing was not my idea) and figured I could find the Cowboys game on local radio..... I found a Chiefs game instead.

It wasn't just a Chiefs game, it was back when they were terrible before Alex Smith and Andy Reid arrived and it was a puntfest against loving Oakland. I was absolutely appalled.

vvvv Like you wouldn't be appalled at only finding an abortion-era Chiefs-Raiders game on the radio when you were hoping to find something decent.

Randandal fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jan 9, 2015

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Randandal posted:

It wasn't just a Chiefs game, it was back when they were terrible before Alex Smith and Andy Reid arrived and it was a puntfest against loving Oakland. I was absolutely appalled.

Christ your 10 year football fandom has been rough. I was going to make fun of you for trying this with a fan base than has been dealing with it for half a century or so but now I'm convinced.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

You know, I'm actually from New Jersey and yet I'm a Dallas Cowboys fan, but I can explain.

My dad is from Sweden and he loved hockey, so we were a New York Rangers household during their dynasty in the 90s, but American Football never really interested him so I never really watched it either. My parents hosted Super Bowl parties but they were basically just a social event that they enjoyed doing. Neither of them really gave a poo poo about football, or the Giants or Jets or Packers or Cowboys or whoever, though plenty of their adult friends did of course. My friends and I were giant nerds who didn't like any sports whatsoever and we just went to another room and played video games while the adults did their Super Bowl party drinking and gambling thing.

My dad did take me to a Giants game once when I was 8 years old or so - he probably got the tickets from a friend or coworker or something. We sat in the nosebleeds and all I can really remember about it was thinking that football players were really stupid because they kept running into each other while I believed a much smarter strategy would be to run outside of the mass of linemen. For all I know they actually were doing that - our seats were so far away from the field that I had no idea where the football actually was, and I didn't know what any of the position players were supposed to do anyway. My Euro Dad wasn't exactly helpful with explaining the basics of the game and translating the action for me either.... Actually for all I know I might have been at a Jets game. All I really know is the field said Giants on it. :shobon:

I was 14 when my parents divorced in 2002 and my mom moved us down to the Dallas area. Most of my new friends were Cowboys fans, and they were always on TV, so I ended up watching Cowboys games. My formative moment as a football fan was during a game in 2004 or 2005, sitting in the screened in porch behind my friend's house watching the Cowboys play against the Eagles, smoking some of my first cigarettes while watching them go absolutely apeshit at a late touchdown pass, and hearing some neighbors down the alley screaming and hollering at the same time while watching the game in their garages. That's when I fell in love with football, and with the Dallas Cowboys.

I watched Romo become a starter, I watched the botched snap in Seattle, I watched the Patrick Clayton drop that lost the game in the divisional round the following year against the Giants when we were 13-3, I watched us lose to the Eagles 44-6 and I somehow still had enough naive hope to be devastated when the Vikings crushed us in 2009. I watched the 2010 collapse and became more and more cynical with each 8-8 season being lost on the final game of the season after that. I never believed we would win the Kyle Orton game last year. I have never watched any of the Cowboys Super Bowl runs. I've never seen my team reach the NFC Championship Game, something only Detroit and Washington fans over the same time period can also say.

So, you know, gently caress your sour grapes from the 90s. I understand your pain as a Detroit or Washington or Buffalo fan but at least you always knew you had a loser on your hands. Cincinnati fans, I can relate to you. Having hope pulled out from under you to the point that continuing to have hope feels hopeless... really really sucks. I respect the devotion of Eagles and Giants fans but wish there was a universal gag order against you sons of bitches. I watched you go to several NFC Championship Games and Super Bowls in years you weren't even that good in, and at the expense of my team.

This year is my turn. I naively believe. Go Cowboys. :getin:

Randandal fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jan 9, 2015

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

MourningView posted:

This is also fine, and if anything probably shows good judgment since it would mean you are not limiting your enjoyment of the sport out of some dumb childish loyalty to an ever shifting group of people who could not possibly care less about you and whose only connection to you is the stupid outfit they are required to wear by their employer.

I disagree.
It isn't the players I root for so much as its the symbol on the side of the helmet and what it represents and the memory and history of it.

If you only care about players or whichever team is currently the best you'll just run around and have fun and do well at fantasy football.

But you won't go through the same kind of agony and misery that make the joy from the successes that much sweeter and euphoric. When your loyal to something you put a higher stake in it.

There isn't anything inherently wrong with being a bandwagon fan who switches teams every year but I honestly do think less of them as fans because I know at least some of them are just the same kinds of people who aren't able to cope with failure and who will unplug the computer rather than lose a game on it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Randandal posted:

vvvv Like you wouldn't be appalled at only finding an abortion-era Chiefs-Raiders game on the radio when you were hoping to find something decent.

No I was completely agreeing with you, no one should be exposed to Matt Cassel other than the (I assume few) Pats fans who wanted to keep him.

Randandal posted:

Cincinnati fans, I can relate to you. Having hope pulled out from under you to the point that continuing to have hope feels hopeless... really really sucks.

Yeah I lost you here.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

MourningView posted:

If John Kerry doesn't use the name Manny Ortez he's probably elected president in 2004 :colbert:

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

MourningView posted:

So what you're saying is...Mel is actually the best fan ever.

It's all clear to me now. Mel is ahead of the curve.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

Grittybeard posted:

No I was completely agreeing with you, no one should be exposed to Matt Cassel other than the (I assume few) Pats fans who wanted to keep him.

Yeah I lost you here.

I forgot that you are a Chiefs fan. It gets better. :glomp: If Dez somehow doesnt get franchised and he leaves after this season you and the Rams are the only teams I could tolerate seeing him sign with.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

Randandal posted:

So, you know, gently caress your sour grapes from the 90s. I understand your pain as a Detroit or Washington or Buffalo fan but at least you always knew you had a loser on your hands. Cincinnati fans, I can relate to you. Having hope pulled out from under you to the point that continuing to have hope feels hopeless... really really sucks. I respect the devotion of Eagles and Giants fans but wish there was a universal gag order against you sons of bitches. I watched you go to several NFC Championship Games and Super Bowls in years you weren't even that good in, and at the expense of my team.

hmmm yes dim times

hey everybody a little sympathy plz, see I'm a fan of the Broncos historically one of the most successful franchises in league history and we've been to so many Superbowls that they may as well etch our name on the trophy before the season even begins, oh and our starting QB is like, the greatest QB of all time, but we only came second last year after destroying the entire league up to that point and I could really use a hug -- especially from you Detroit/Washington/Buffalo fans y'all don't know my struggle

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Randandal posted:

This year is my turn. I naively believe. Go Cowboys. :getin:

Philly is the only team in the division to never win a Superbowl, so until that happens, and every other team that's never won one gets theirs, save your rhetoric about who's turn it is.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Philly is the only team in the division to never win a Superbowl, so until that happens, and every other team that's never won one gets theirs, save your rhetoric about who's turn it is.

counterpoint: gently caress Philly. It's their "turn" when they earn it

MourningView posted:

Seriously. On a related note why do we need these "you should root for/like my team this week because..." posts every single week? Stop worrying about who likes your team, especially if you're a Cowboys fan. People are going to hate your team. That's how it goes.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jan 9, 2015

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Dude, that isn't in the same ballpark as being a fan of a team like Detroit. Even in the "lost decade" of the 00's, the Cowboys were a game over .500 (http://home.jps.net/~fos/nfl/nfl00s.htm), went to the playoffs 3x, and won a couple playoff games. The Lions were 42-119 during that same period. That's a bad team. Dallas has five rings. One of a just a few teams that won multiple super bowls with different core rosters. The winningest NFC team (and #3 overall) since the merger. Take it from me; a Steelers fan married to a Bills fan and best friends with a Browns fan. You and I have absolutely no idea what it's like to be emotionally invested in a truly bad NFL team.

This is the most salient point to come out of the last page.

Also, MV giving thumbs up to bandwagon fans... that was loving beautiful. No really, I'm tearing up. I'm going to etch that poo poo into the world's smallest violin so that whenever someone riffs on them for being a lovely sports fan, I can play it for them.

Atlanta sports sorrow: the struggle is real. (Hawks, Bitch!)

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

pasaluki posted:

the same kind of agony and misery that make the joy from the successes that much sweeter and euphoric

there is nothing I want to experience from watching sports less than agony and misery, so I'll take my slightly less highs in exchange for never feeling sad from sports again. as a Bills fan, do you even remember what the sweet and euphoric parts feel like?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

there is nothing I want to experience from watching sports less than agony and misery, so I'll take my slightly less highs in exchange for never feeling sad from sports again. as a Bills fan, do you even remember what the sweet and euphoric parts feel like?

You just beat the Pats in Foxboro and finished above .500 - rejoice!

CowboyKid
May 29, 2008

Karma is a bitch.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

Aye Doc posted:

Oh yeah!
Obviously winning the Superbowl would be the ultimate but if you expect a Superbowl win every year then most likely you'll be disappointed anyway.

There is even a perverse joy in rooting for a team when they have a bad season because you get to talk poo poo about them and when they become good again you can see how the team has grown over the years like a chia pet which is oddly very satisfying.

The only time when I'd say it wasn't worth being a fan was during the Dick Jauron era because there was absolutely nothing enjoyable or likeable about the team. Watching the games was excruciating. The team was mediocre at everything, completely listless and boring. I came close to giving up on football but the day Dick Jauron was fired I changed my mind.
I had a rush of Euphoria

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don't expect someone from Oklahoma to be a Dallas fan even if they live just across the border on I-35.

When the state you live in doesn't have a team, you tend to pick the close one. I live in northern Iowa so we have a lot of Viking and Packer fans

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Yaws posted:

When the state you live in doesn't have a team, you tend to pick the close one. I live in northern Iowa so we have a lot of Viking and Packer fans

True, but in my own personal experience people from Oklahoma tend to hate everything Texas

Also go the panthers bitch

Jaweeeblop
Nov 12, 2004

I could be wrong here but i took that as subtle play on oklahoma state cowboys. Maybe im the one looking too far into it though.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

My dad grew up in Oklahoma and supports all the Dallas teams.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Chilichimp posted:

Atlanta sports sorrow: the struggle is real. (Hawks, Bitch!)

Winning a bunch of regular season games is the Atlanta sports team version of winning a championship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Randandal posted:

I forgot that you are a Chiefs fan. It gets better. :glomp: If Dez somehow doesnt get franchised and he leaves after this season you and the Rams are the only teams I could tolerate seeing him sign with.

I cannot imagine a more wasted career than the one Dez Bryant would have at KC

• Locked thread