Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Thinking about what it'll do to 'the big bang' is the funniest thing.

Young amy falls asleep waiting for the doctor, the the doctor carries her to bed. Then she goes to a museum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Also you'd have to deal with the S5 dating issue

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Little_wh0re posted:

Also you'd have to deal with the S5 dating issue

And the Second UNIT Dating Controversy.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Which one is that?

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Cutting back a few pages to the River Song chronological order, I really enjoyed watching the "Her Story" clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOYzrnOegcg

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Little_wh0re posted:

Which one is that?

If Day of the Doctor's present-day plot occurs, as it's clearly meant to, on November 23rd, 2013

and Kate Stewart knows and recognizes the Eleventh Doctor, and vice-versa

but The Power of Three is set somewhere like a decade post-2010, MAYBE 2016 at the earliest

then

???

...which is all to say that Canon must be eradicated.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Would death in heaven resolve that? Or just assuming an offscreen adventure

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

"Right, Lieutenant, I'll sign your release papers, just remind me of the date again for the signature line. You aren't sure either? Dash it all, I'll just jot down 'the nebulous present or near future.' For some reason the chaps in Geneva always accept that as fine. Well, off you toddle."

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

The only real dating controversy is that karen gillian isn't dating me

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Speaking of, I seem to remember a weird video where some greasy nerd analysed photos of Matt Smith and Karen Gillan and deduced that they must be dating because they smile when they look at each other sometimes? Or was that just something I did, I can't remember

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Uncle Moffat had a chat with Matt when he first started and told him not to get involved with Karen (not her specifically, but with his companions) as a piece of advice, supposedly. I think they were just good friends from working together for so long, but I guess I wouldn't be surprised if they'd hooked up at some point. :shrug:

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Bicyclops posted:

Uncle Moffat had a chat with Matt when he first started and told him not to get involved with Karen (not her specifically, but with his companions)

Rory is the pretty one anyway :colbert:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Little_wh0re posted:

The only real dating controversy is that karen gillian isn't dating me

Nah that makes sense

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

DoctorWhat posted:

If Day of the Doctor's present-day plot occurs, as it's clearly meant to, on November 23rd, 2013

and Kate Stewart knows and recognizes the Eleventh Doctor, and vice-versa

but The Power of Three is set somewhere like a decade post-2010, MAYBE 2016 at the earliest

My take from what I can remember is that while Power of Three was the Doctor's first time of meeting Kate, it wasn't her first time vice versa. Kate is just well-versed enough in time travel to pick up on that and run with it quickly.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Forktoss posted:

Speaking of, I seem to remember a weird video where some greasy nerd analysed photos of Matt Smith and Karen Gillan and deduced that they must be dating because they smile when they look at each other sometimes? Or was that just something I did, I can't remember

Nah I remember that video too. It was easily the most embarrassing Doctor Who video I've seen and that's saying something

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Would it count as a spoiler in the Occupation thread if I mentioned that I recommend he only does one review this week, and then start back on two a week, only because of the way the season is structured?

If he keeps doing two a week, he'll split up three two-parters.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ashpanash posted:

Would it count as a spoiler in the Occupation thread if I mentioned that I recommend he only does one review this week, and then start back on two a week, only because of the way the season is structured?

That's probably for the best, honestly, the cliffhanger'll mean more

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fungah! posted:

That's probably for the best, honestly, the cliffhanger'll mean more

The Flesh and the Silurians are both in this season right?

Holy poo poo I'm not sure how he'll take them

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Burkion posted:

Flesh is next series.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Burkion posted:

Yeah it's the Angels, Silurians, and then The Big Bang. I really can't wait to see how he takes the cliffhanger on the Big Bang, it's very good

e: whoopsie meant pandorica

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 11, 2015

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I loved the before-the-credits reveal in Pandorica. What a mind gently caress.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

marktheando posted:

Flesh is next series.

Oh Thank god. Just one disappointing two parter with an interesting ending.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

ashpanash posted:

No point really. He seems to be doing 1 around Wednesday and 1 in Weekend, so there's not much difference either way.

ashpanash posted:

And it just keeps on going and going.

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009
If we cannot make a chronological timeline just imagine how the Doctor must feel. No wonder he is calling himself a madman.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ashpanash posted:

Before the credits reveal in Big Bang was an even better mindfuck for me first time around.

If there's one thing Moffat knows how to do, it's blow your brains with a cold open.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Wow, The Zygon Who Fell to Earth is loving AWFUL. What a mean-spirited shitpile.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

ashpanash posted:

The last ten minutes of that episode are among my favourite bits of the whole show.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

2house2fly posted:

The last ten minutes of that episode are among my favourite bits of the whole show.

There's something so sweet and sad about the Doctor listening to the bad guys' explanation of why they're doing what they're doing and then assuming that the reason they've trapped him is so they can get him to help them. Poor Doctor just can't comprehend that HE is the monster :unsmith:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jerusalem posted:

There's something so sweet and sad about the Doctor listening to the bad guys' explanation of why they're doing what they're doing and then assuming that the reason they've trapped him is so they can get him to help them. Poor Doctor just can't comprehend that HE is the monster :unsmith:

I just love it for the realization that, to them, he is the most horrifying thing in the universe. They're just doing their normal everyday thing (for them at least) and suddenly this lone rear end in a top hat just drops in out of nowhere and kills entire swathes of their civilizations without warning. Can you blame them?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Before the credits reveal in Big Bang was an even better mindfuck for me first time around.

drat it, that's what I meant! Big Bang!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I like it because it's basically his 'look me up' bragging coming back to bite him.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Dr Who totally needs to do a cool Turing episode without referring to his suicide a la Vincent because it doesn't define him ffs.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

He probably wouldn't have committed suicide if it wasn't for the actions of an oppressive government (they put him on a forced course of hormone suppressants to try to "cure" his homosexuality, for example), so I feel like, if you did an episode about it, you'd need at least a nod to the facts just on a moral basis. Just to call out, "hey, this was really evil", I guess.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

ewe2 posted:

Dr Who totally needs to do a cool Turing episode without referring to his suicide a la Vincent because it doesn't define him ffs.

Don't read the EDA The Turing Test, then. Actually, do, because it's a very good book.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

2house2fly posted:

I totally agree with this. The last few minutes of Pandorica - when the plan is revealed, the tables are suddenly turned, and there's a really nicely filmed/scored moment of the Doctor struggling to get free as he's being placed into the box. It's effectively the antithesis of the entire show - the entire universe fighting against the Doctor - and it works, beautifully, as the Doctor is just trying (he thinks, anyway) to save them all.

There's a lot to dislike about Moffat, but he gets what's really interesting about the Doctor, what's really interesting about the character and the character of the series itself. His offense is overdoing it, to be sure, but Season 5 still remains a jewel.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

The_Doctor posted:

Don't read the EDA The Turing Test, then. Actually, do, because it's a very good book.

It is indeed very good, but I honestly can't remember how they dealt with his suicide in it. I'm sure Graham Greene and Joseph Heller address it in some way, but I can't remember how.

It's good stuff though. Turing totes had the hots for Eight, as he and every other sensible person very well should.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Android Blues posted:

He probably wouldn't have committed suicide if it wasn't for the actions of an oppressive government (they put him on a forced course of hormone suppressants to try to "cure" his homosexuality, for example), so I feel like, if you did an episode about it, you'd need at least a nod to the facts just on a moral basis. Just to call out, "hey, this was really evil", I guess.

I know the whole story, but I fear it would be mishandled and better left alone. As much as I love the Vincent episode for many things, it was more about the tragedy than the art. They couldn't leave it alone all the way through it, and it was only saved by Amy's sunflowers. That's not the way I choose to remember Van Gogh and ditto for Turing.

People don't know enough about Turing's brilliance, which is a better subject for Dr Who than a heavy-handed moralistic angle just because we think it should be there. Not to mention the message it doesn't matter how brilliant you are, or how much your country owes you, we'll still destroy you because it's a cheap way to distract our bosses from our failures that sends. That would sure go down well with the kids.

The_Doctor posted:

This is just what needs to be done, the synopsis here is excellent.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

After The War posted:

Luckily, there's a cure for that. Usually we start you off on a course of Robots of Death , then choose the treatment according to your response.

Well... I watched and liked it enough to check the Leelas first episode The Face of Evil and onward up to Image of The Fendahl :v: .

I consider The Face of Evil, Robots of Death Good episodes and I really really enjoyed The Talons on Weng-Chiang. Although I can't see how Audio-Dramas based on Jago and Litefoot could work.
Has anyone listened those and are they any good?

Horror of Fang Rock was mostly bad, but Leelas had some good moments.

The invisible Enemy and Image of Fendahl are just bad. ugh!.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

adhuin posted:

Horror of Fang Rock was mostly bad, but Leelas had some good moments.

I love Horror of Fang Rock, but I won't dispute at all that the best moment in the entire story was this one:

Nobody else even blinks when she does it :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Jerusalem posted:

I love Horror of Fang Rock, but I won't dispute at all that the best moment in the entire story was this one:

Nobody else even blinks when she does it :allears:

My favourite part was the taunting of dying Rutan and resulting conversation with the Doctor.
Leela :allears:

• Locked thread