Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Lord Twisted posted:

Are you based near the Chiswick store? Don't mean to pry into personal life but I just saw them advertise a tournament exactly like that and wondered if you were a London 'ham like myself

Haha, yes. We tried to organise a meet up last year but we couldn't work it out. I'll be off soon to pre-order the Skaven book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Monoliths posted:

How's the scale on those castellax compared to a dreadknight? The dreadknight seems so fun to use but I can't stand how it looks, particularly next to dreadnoughts. Seems like it could be a cool conversion to exchange the weapons and add a fancy knight mask over the little skull.

Way, way different sizes. Here's a Castellax vs Marine, you can use that to compare how bigger the Dreadknight is.

Instead you might want to look into the Thanatar. I... think it's much closer, though the Thanatar is bulkier.

e.: Here you go, you want the Thanatar.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 9, 2015

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
What base is that on the left? It looks like Dragonforge Tech-Deck but I don't see it on the site.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I don't want the thanatar I want the beetleborg shitkicker it's standing next to

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

I don't want the thanatar I want the beetleborg shitkicker it's standing next to
Then get Dave Taylor to make you one. His Mechanicus conversions (like everything else he does) are awesome.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

So what's a good set up for Castellaxs? I want to field a few since they are awesome looking. Two Maulers, a Multi Melta, and a Darkfire to start with at 4 of them?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I liked 2x double flamers, and a 2x meltas.
With Objective Secured I'd want them punching and burning poo poo mid-field and up close even more, but I didn't play AdMech in 7th, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

2x Castellax, 4x flamers. 190 points.
2x Castellax, 2x multi melta. 170 points.

Makes a lot of armies cry.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 9, 2015

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

ijyt posted:

Haha, yes. We tried to organise a meet up last year but we couldn't work it out. I'll be off soon to pre-order the Skaven book.

Sweet. I don't go there much anymore as I'm now east L based, but I'm hitting up Dark sphere more regularly now if you wanted a game.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Mango Polo posted:

With Objective Secured I'd want them punching and burning poo poo mid-field and up close even more, but I didn't play AdMech in 7th, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Wait how does that work? It doesn't list being able to exchange the mauler for flamers, only the bolters.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Drythe posted:

Wait how does that work? It doesn't list being able to exchange the mauler for flamers, only the bolters.
That's what he meant, keep the Maulers and swap the bolters for flamers.

AbusePuppy posted:

Paragon of Metal is pretty mediocre; I wouldn't bother with it unless you're filling points and/or looking for fluff.

You don't think it's worth it to ignore the cyber protocols and gain IWND and Rampage? I guess if I drop Paragon then I can give the 2-model Castellax unit Enhanced Senses and swap one Fusil Thallax to a Multimelta.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 9, 2015

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Drythe posted:

2 groups of 2 keep their maulers but replace bolters with flamers. The last group replaces their maulers with MMs but keep their bolters.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Ohh, I was pretty confused there with how he worded it.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

Mango Polo posted:

Way, way different sizes. Here's a Castellax vs Marine, you can use that to compare how bigger the Dreadknight is.

Instead you might want to look into the Thanatar. I... think it's much closer, though the Thanatar is bulkier.

e.: Here you go, you want the Thanatar.

Aw yeah. That's a good size match for sure. Definitely would still want to convert it considerably. My problem is that I want dreadnoughts, dreadknights, and an imperial knight to all look coherantly like the same chapter owns them. Weirdly enough I feel like the various ork walkers have a more unified aesthetic.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
In other Forge World news..

I love the Contemptor, but I'm really not a fan of this weird battlemech thing. It's seems to just be a Mortis with the shooty bits upscaled.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
sorry about your lovely broken eyes its loving beautiful. I'm buying a hundred

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Vondizimo posted:

I love the Contemptor, but I'm really not a fan of this weird battlemech thing. It's seems to just be a Mortis with the shooty bits upscaled.

It's the arms, really. They look like they're trying to I dunno, flap or something. The giant boxy missile launcher on top doesn't help matters at all.

Give it Contemptor autocannon arms and ditch/replace the missile launcher and it'd probably look a lot better.

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

I will buy literally anything FW puts out because I have no impulse control

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Doesn't look "40k". I think its the fact the guns are about the size of the body.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I have plenty of impulse control but if you aren't playing warhammer for dumb bird-bots covered in guns why are you playing at all

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

I have plenty of impulse control but if you aren't playing warhammer for dumb bird-bots covered in guns why are you playing at all

Because I don't gobble up literally everything they put out.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

ijyt posted:

Nope, but I guess I'll find out in a few hours.

Also, looking for some list advice for a small tourney, 800 pts, 1 HQ + 1 Troop mandatory.
I'm considering dropping one of the Storm Talons for Las/Plas Razorbacks instead, or perhaps a Thunderfire Cannon.

You really shouldn't need so much las in an 800 point list. If your opponents bring a landraider, you laugh as they've sunk over half of their non-compulsory points into a single vehicle.

Veteran sergeants in the tac squads are probably a waste. If you want to bring a unit to punch dudes, take an assault squad with a subsidized rhino or drop pod, two flamers and bolt pistols/chainswords. (which you should totally take anyways).

One stormtalon is probably enough, though two would be almost comedicly douchey. TL Assault cannons and skyhammers would be better than las. (Remember, they're BS5 shooting at gound targets due to Strafing Run special rule, so more shooty means more hits/wounds).

Thunderfire is also a great choice, though I enjoyed screening mine with a 5 man scout squad/camo cloaks with bolters or shotguns to sit in a bolstered ruin with the thunderfire as extra wounds or a LOS screen for the techmarine.

I'm personally a fan of taking a captain on a bike with a min bike squad in small lists like that. He's no chapter master smashfucker, but he's still a T5 dude with 3 wounds and a 4++, and the bike squad can take 2 meltas to pop transports.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Lord Twisted posted:

Doesn't look "40k". I think its the fact the guns are about the size of the body.

Yeah, it looks cool, but it's too "Macross" for a Space Marine dreadnought.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
It's battletech as hell and it fuckin owns.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Monoliths posted:

Aw yeah. That's a good size match for sure. Definitely would still want to convert it considerably. My problem is that I want dreadnoughts, dreadknights, and an imperial knight to all look coherantly like the same chapter owns them. Weirdly enough I feel like the various ork walkers have a more unified aesthetic.

Castellax for Dreadnoughts, Thanatar for Dreadknights and a Knight Lancer for a Knight, they all share cohesive design cues

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
It's like a Madcat and a Rifleman had a 40k baby. In other words

ANAmal.net posted:

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Pretty much finished with my Tyrannocyte, just a few touchups and the basing (grit is in the mail):

I never want to have to assemble/paint one of these again. I like that I have it, but my god it's a pain.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
It looks like a pain in the rear end to paint, but the end result looks great!

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Vondizimo posted:

When I saw the previous teaser pic I wasn't too excited. Now that I see the whole thing - it looks pretty awesome.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

ANAmal.net posted:

Yeah, that's what I mean. It looks too Battletech to me. It super loving owns, but it's owning in the wrong universe for me.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Maybe a more baroque Legion-specific version will look more in keeping with the 30k/40k aesthetic. Also, something about the arms and shoulders looks bad to me, although maybe a different angle will change my mind. It's an awesome model, I just have zero interest in buying one of those particular models personally.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

Castellax for Dreadnoughts, Thanatar for Dreadknights and a Knight Lancer for a Knight, they all share cohesive design cues

Already have the dreadnoughts and knight errant, so I've painted (hurr) myself into a corner a bit. I thought about making some kind of ridiculous angelic ascension GK with wings and stuff since the dreadknight is an MC, just circumventing the vehicle aesthetics completely. Something like Celestine meets Sanguinius meets a GK termy suit. I dunno. Might look a bit silly.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Something about it doesn't make me think "Space Marine". I bet the rules are going to own, so I imagine I'll end up converting one up anyway. Maybe I'll put the huge Gatling Guns from a forgefiend on its arms instead?

Drythe posted:

Darkfire Cannon sounds really....strong? Two shots of Str 7 AP 2 at 60 inches? Am I missing something?

e: and its a MC so it can move and shoot? Jesus.

Don't forget blind, which has to be checked against every time you hit something. It has gets hot though.

Drythe posted:

So what's a good set up for Castellaxs? I want to field a few since they are awesome looking. Two Maulers, a Multi Melta, and a Darkfire to start with at 4 of them?

I like Darkfires a lot, because they are good at MC hunting and you can potentially blind the guy you are charging (or who is charging you!). If you use the mauler or darkfire setup, consider the targeting array upgreydd since it makes you BS5 and gives -1 to enemy cover saves. Also if you're going into melee you want to give them power blades so you can have +1 attack for a total of 4 AP2 attacks instead of smashing at 2. Multimelta is probably the 'worst' of the 3 good choices.

So, something like:
Meltalax: Melta, blades, flamers optional
Maulerlax: Targeting Array, Mauler, blades, flamers optional
Darklax: Targeting Array, Darkfire

My paragon of metal uses a darkfire and has power blades, since his job is to run up and murder things.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

PierreTheMime posted:

Pretty much finished with my Tyrannocyte, just a few touchups and the basing (grit is in the mail):

I never want to have to assemble/paint one of these again. I like that I have it, but my god it's a pain.
Interesting choice to put the guns down where the tentacles are supposed to go - looks good and makes sense. What's going on with the gun sockets, though? Is that some sort of glowing eye or ocelli in there?

Checking the thread while waiting for primer to dry on my Sporocyst, so this is an appropriate thing to comment on.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

BuffaloChicken posted:

Interesting choice to put the guns down where the tentacles are supposed to go - looks good and makes sense. What's going on with the gun sockets, though? Is that some sort of glowing eye or ocelli in there?

Checking the thread while waiting for primer to dry on my Sporocyst, so this is an appropriate thing to comment on.

Yeah the top sockets didn't look right without anything and I figured eyes was a sensible solution. The green stuff is a little iffy-looking compared to the rest of the model but from tabletop distance it looks good enough for now. I may redo them later.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I think it looks suitably creepy, did you not use the tentacles to save them for the mucolid?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Opinion poll: of the various non-Imperial shooty basic troops (Shoota Boyz, Termagaunts, Fire Warriors, etc etc) which would be the cheapest/easiest to model as aiming their guns upward at a flyer?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Shoota Boyz would likely be a bad choice as Orks aren't assembled in a way that their heads can look up very well. Unless you cock their heads like an inquisitive dog or something. You can lean their torso back pretty well, which might help, but I'd think Fire Warriors would be easier.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

assemble them like normal except they're laying on their backs on the base

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mango Polo posted:

This is why I take multiple units of poisoned hormagants.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Bad news guys, it's not a Timber Wolf, it's a Rifleman

loving Stravags

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

LordAba posted:

This is why I take multiple units of poisoned hormagants.

Fair enough, though that's 4d3 auto hits from flamer overwatch and the Castellax reroll against poison wounds.

Drythe posted:

Ohh, I was pretty confused there with how he worded it.

Ah yeah sorry, was typing from my phone and didn't think too much about the format.

• Locked thread