Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Snapchat A Titty posted:

wait how does it actually work? i suppose the terminal sends some timestamped data to the card which signs it and sends it back? i mean it cant have too much logic in there, that requires power, so i guess i always assumed that it just sent a card id but that would be hella easy to clone

wikipedia is worthless

applepay sends a one use token to the bank and the bank has the information for which token corresponds to which account

the merchant doesn't know who purchased what ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

let's see what /r/uberdrivers has to say about all this

quote:

Dear Uber...
I want to be the first to thank you for finally listening to your drivers' needs!

I'm so happy that I can now be smart about reducing the depreciation of my vehicle and I can drastically cut fuel costs while working for you, reduce the number of people bringing their dirty shoes, mouths and illegal drugs into my car, and make a guaranteed $200/night on Fri & Sat nights....which is more than I have been making standard Friday and Saturday nights working 12-13 hours!

So, the rules for earning the guaranteed rates are simply: "Must accept at least 90% of trips; Must average at least 1 trip/hour; Must be online for 50 minutes of every hour worked"

I'm definitely on board to work from 5p to 3a this Friday (10 hours of a guaranteed $20/hr)!

In order to make sure I get an average of 1 trip per hour, I better take the first 10 pings that come to me. Actually, considering the long wait periods lately, I better go seek them out first. Once that's done, I'll feel free to stay outside the city center until 3a unless an unlikely (but thankfully, much longer distance) fare happens to bring me back into the city center.

Oh, and I appreciate being able to decline 1 out of 10 pings and take a 10 minute restroom break once an hour. Now if I can just find someplace to pee that doesn't require waiting 15 minutes for someone to come by with a code to unlock a door.

Now, Uber, I am a little concerned about all those privileged barfers that will be waiting at the bars at 2a. Aren't they going to experience surge pricing since all the drivers will be waiting outside the city center by that time? Oh...I get it, surge pricing will just equal normal rates, so no worries. Besides, the fewer barfers we transport, the fewer "clean up" fees you have to argue over. Good plan!

I knew you were wanting to treat your drivers better and reduce wait time for all those users outside the city center. Actually, I think now would be a great time to expand your geo-fence to some 'burbs that really need the service.

Anyway, I think this plan is genius and, like you said in your blog (http://blog.uber.com/PriceCut2015), "more efficiency for the driver" and "more earnings for every hour on the road!"

Oh, Uber, I think I love you!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

As a Millennial I posted:

read the thread i linked

o i thought it was just about Apple pay. ic the post about chip cards now ty

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

eschaton posted:

does he think QR codes were ever alive?

the answer could tell you a lot.

he was explaining it to a room full of commercial bankers, some of whom still use blackberries

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

l m a o

so the average is calculated on everybody's earnings, not just the people who would qualify for the guarantee

is this is like one of those 419 scams? they're making the guarantee so blatantly worthless that only the most gullible idiots will buy into it

that's just how uber rolls. they've offered guaranteed fares/income in specific areas/time periods before, but it's just a gimmick to keep drivers from complaining about fare cuts and promotional prices until the news cycle is over. the fine print on the offer is always a thinly disguised "gently caress drivers gently caress drivers gently caress drivers", but uber doesn't advertise the fine print - you have to know to go looking for it. any driver who sees uber's promise of fare guarantees and doesn't immediately say "okay, what's the catch" gets fooled, and there's a sucker born every minute

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

uber's real innovation isn't a fluid labor market, it's applying american-style retail sale logic to the workforce, to confuse workers with offers that sound good but are actually lame

"make $500 this friday*" :: "buy one get one 1/3 off**"

* you must work 11 straight hours and pick up at least 15 rides, reject none and not be off your phone for more than any 15 minute period

** supply limited to stock on hand, discount taken from lower-priced item, with use of rewards card, not to be combined with any other offer

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

the requirement for 50 minutes of availability and 90% acceptance rate effectively prevents you from driving for lyft at the same time.

and apparently they added a fuckload of drivers in anticipation of the New Years rush making a ride per hour nearly impossible. a bunch of people who drive for the standard level service are complaining about going all night without a single trip request because of a swarm of uberx jitneys being available.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

like remember when jc penny hired ron johnson away from apple and he figured it was more efficient to just have lower pricing instead of 400 discount events per year [that was the actual number, more than one sale per day]? they almost went out of business

americans will spend tons of money trying to get a "good deal" and uber is probably right in assuming that they will make wildly irrational work decisions to try to get a "bonus"

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

qirex posted:

like remember when jc penny hired ron johnson away from apple and he figured it was more efficient to just have lower pricing instead of 400 discount events per year [that was the actual number, more than one sale per day]? they almost went out of business

americans will spend tons of money trying to get a "good deal" and uber is probably right in assuming that they will make wildly irrational work decisions to try to get a "bonus"

consumer purchase decisions are based on the perception of "getting a good deal" and not about getting a good price and jc penney is pretty much dead at this point as a result

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
malls are dyin cloud

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

malls are designed to be at 90%+ capacity and if you see one with more than a couple empty spots it's in trouble

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

qirex posted:

some people seemed disappointed when he explained why android can't have an easy equivalent to apple pay

:allears:

I thought it was all just software fuckery and apparently android phones generally have some secure storage thing nowdays, so I'm not sure how it just can't

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
a discount event is like "men's pants 39% off" and "women's skirts 25% off", so each one counts separately

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

qirex posted:

malls are designed to be at 90%+ capacity and if you see one with more than a couple empty spots it's in trouble

all malls are in trouble

although tbf it's really annoying shopping at a brick & mortar store after you're used to the internet, unless it's like clothes i guess

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

qirex posted:

he also tried to make going to jcp a fancy high-end experience (almost like apple stores - gosh that's a weird coincidence!) so the guy's apparently got exactly one move and it only works when your target market has $$$

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

malls are only really good for cosmetics, clothing, and scented products of whatever type like soaps or oils or perfume/cologne/etc

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ugh all the scents give me a loving headache

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

I found the post

it's kinda special how you have this weird personal vendetta against me yet i don't think i've ever seen one of your posts, other than the occasional angry ones following me around :allears:

anyway i later found out that that story was actually from a movie, lol. i still tell it to people (with this qualification) when it seems appropriate though because i think despite the white racism it has a nice message about grief and revenge.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

malls are dyin cloud

i liked indoor malls a lot. much more fun than these big-box malls-for-cars they plunk down in the middle of nowhere now

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

it's kinda special how you have this weird personal vendetta against me yet i don't think i've ever seen one of your posts, other than the occasional angry ones following me around :allears:

anyway i later found out that that story was actually from a movie, lol. i still tell it to people (with this qualification) when it seems appropriate though because i think despite the white racism it has a nice message about grief and revenge.

jfc

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

qirex posted:

this reminds me, i should make a trip up to the largest mall in the world. it's only an hour or two from where im living and the wikipedia stats are:

Unlike other "dead malls", which have been characterized by the departure of tenants, the New South China Mall has been 99% vacant since its 2005 opening as very few merchants have ever signed up
No. of stores and services 47 (20 planned) (Total spaces: 2350, Unoccupied: 2303)[1]

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the new south china mall is not a mall it is a monument to poor planning and ego
http://www.vagabondjourney.com/new-south-china-mall-the-worlds-largest-mall-is-still-99-deserted/

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

qirex posted:

the new south china mall is not a mall it is a monument to poor planning and ego
http://www.vagabondjourney.com/new-south-china-mall-the-worlds-largest-mall-is-still-99-deserted/

i kinda want to go there and buy something from one of the stores

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

the best part of that article was "Canals run through the mall upon which gondolas were supposed to transport shoppers. They are now green cesspools."

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

giant empty shells are a modern chinese tradition though :china: there's a gigantic apartment complex in a prime shenzhen real estate area about 15 minutes away from me that's been completely vacant since it was built because it was intended for government workers, but a lot of local people thought it was too luxurious looking for civil servants, so the government said "ok fine, nobody gets to live there then"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i was gonna say, "enormous mega-fast project that mysteriously starts rotting and falling apart a year after completion" sounds par for the course for mainland chinese construction :/

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

it has a nice message about grief and revenge.

the gently caress

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lol @ sagebrush

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i stood outside a real estate office in shenzhen trying to do currency/time conversions in my head for less than 30 seconds before getting swarmed with agents trying to help me

also seen ridiculously priced cars with ridiculously offputting paintjobs (like a purple bentley?) outside mixc

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

the gently caress

it just gets worse and worse

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

extended trolling

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

trolling's gotta be believable, dude

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

trolling's gotta be believable, dude

well, its certainly effective

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
i read a really great article a while ago about the history of the shopping mall and it's a real shame about what happened to them but otoh they totally deserve to die knowing their history. originally they were imagined to be community centers that people would just go to for the hell of it just for the sake of being there. basically massive indoor parks with rec centers, public pools, shops, etc etc. the bean counters didn't think this was profitable enough so they changed it to the modern 'make sure everyone is just uncomfortable enough so they keep moving and don't loiter' and surprise no one likes going to them.

this is also why malls are universally reviled by anyone on hallucinogens because that intentional discomfort is magnified to the point of pushing people to anxiety.

cash ruins everything around me

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

yeah mass market retail and tripping balls aren't really a good combo

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Necc0 posted:

i read a really great article a while ago about the history of the shopping mall and it's a real shame about what happened to them but otoh they totally deserve to die knowing their history. originally they were imagined to be community centers that people would just go to for the hell of it just for the sake of being there. basically massive indoor parks with rec centers, public pools, shops, etc etc. the bean counters didn't think this was profitable enough so they changed it to the modern 'make sure everyone is just uncomfortable enough so they keep moving and don't loiter' and surprise no one likes going to them.

this is also why malls are universally reviled by anyone on hallucinogens because that intentional discomfort is magnified to the point of pushing people to anxiety.

lol that sounds interesting, did they mention any specific examples of what they do to make people keep moving?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Necc0 posted:

that seems like a bit of revisionist history. the earliest malls were clearly just about "put a roof over my planned retail development and a bigger parking lot in"

you can see this pretty well for example in the original cherry hill mall of 1961, which was one of the first east coast malls. there was plenty of nice decoration but it was basically window dressing for moving between the stores or the theater/arcade section.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Nintendo Kid posted:

that seems like a bit of revisionist history. the earliest malls were clearly just about "put a roof over my planned retail development and a bigger parking lot in"

you can see this pretty well for example in the original cherry hill mall of 1961, which was one of the first east coast malls. there was plenty of nice decoration but it was basically window dressing for moving between the stores or the theater/arcade section.

Actually, here's a good article that backs up what he's saying, pretty solidly.

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2014/04/the-last-shopping-mall/

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the gently caress

You seriously can't read the message inside that story ("the desire for revenge consumes you, mercy sets you free") just because it's framed as a noble-savage thing huh.

Shrug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Jonny 290 posted:

Actually, here's a good article that backs up what he's saying, pretty solidly.

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2014/04/the-last-shopping-mall/

it's even on fuckin wikipedia so I'm not sure how he missed it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southdale_Center

• Locked thread