Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Kung-Fu Jesus posted:

I had fun reading of the donations

I like your voice better than the current mr. rogers commentator, he killed the stream,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
cancer won

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
It was crystal clear for me but that had the runner pause and announced they had to reboot the stream.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

Mr E posted:

Well, I'd be inclined to agree with that then, and PPSSPP is great. Both are better handled than every single N64 emu though.

true that.

although CEN64 is aiming to be the bsnes of N64 emulation. excited to see how that turns out

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
The framerate kept spiking down because of network issues. We're going to go to a fallback until we get something more stable. Should be back soonish.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DARPA Dad posted:

true that.

although CEN64 is aiming to be the bsnes of N64 emulation. excited to see how that turns out

Man even if they were the 10 year old version of zsnes of n64 emulation, it'd be a huge advance over current n64 stuff

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

UraniumAnchor posted:

The framerate kept spiking down because of network issues. We're going to go to a fallback until we get something more stable. Should be back soonish.

thank you for all your hard work UA

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
the last frame is in captivity

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

Man even if they were the 10 year old version of zsnes of n64 emulation, it'd be a huge advance over current n64 stuff

It's just crazy to me that there are tons of games that are still pretty much unplayable with little to no updates this many years on. At least in the OG Xbox's case the team just disbanded.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

UraniumAnchor posted:

You're a treasure

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Takoluka posted:

"Man, the Metroid Prime run must have sucked. Look at that traffic drop!" - someone in the future

It was so bad the line disappeared!

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

UraniumAnchor posted:

Not pictured: UA running around yelling "Does anyone have a cellular hot spot?!"

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Mr E posted:

It's just crazy to me that there are tons of games that are still pretty much unplayable with little to no updates this many years on. At least in the OG Xbox's case the team just disbanded.

the n64 used hosed as hell hardware so it really is not surprising at all.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

DARPA Dad posted:

true that.

Probably about as well as MESS which has had low-level N64 emulation for a while. Everything works, including games with custom RSP code that other emulators choke on, but is unplayabley slow even with the fastest available processors.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

Cubey posted:

the n64 used hosed as hell hardware so it really is not surprising at all.

nintendo purposefully made the system hard to program for in an attempt to stop "lesser developers" from releasing games for the thing

The_Franz posted:

Probably about as well as MESS which has had low-level N64 emulation for a while. Everything works, including games with custom RSP code that other emulators choke on, but is unplayabley slow even with the fastest available processors.

Processors will catch up. Garbage like Project64 won't.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

DARPA Dad posted:

nintendo purposefully made the system hard to program for in an attempt to stop "lesser developers" from releasing games for the thing

No no, that was Sony and the PS3.

Nintendo didn't do it intentionally, at least.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
The Mexican Runner's stream right now looks to be him walking around the practice room. It's all in Spanish, of course. But it's something to watch.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mr E posted:

Yeah it's because the original N64 emulators were based on a race to be the first to have an emulator working while the system was still a major platform. So all of them are just chock full of special hacks for each particular ROM to run correctly, and doing wacky stuff like skipping emulation of large chunks of the system to directly render on your 1999 PC's 3D card for that goal.

This is also why the only TASBot runs on N64 games you tend to see are for a very few popular N64 games where the hacks have piled up high enough to accurately reproduce the console's behavior for that game.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Kung-Fu Jesus posted:

I had fun reading of the donations

What makes you decide which ones you pick?

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

CrashCat posted:

Not pictured: UA running around yelling "Does anyone have a cellular hot spot?!"

You're closer than I wish you were.

Anyway, we couldn't get the fallback working but the network eventually unfucked itself so I guess we're back for now. Sorry for the delay. :v:

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

SatansBestBuddy posted:

No no, that was Sony and the PS3.

Nintendo didn't do it intentionally, at least.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/hiroshi-yamauchi-the-iron-fist-in-the-velvet-glove

quote:

Yamauchi admitted at the 2001 Space World event that he had deliberately ordered the N64 be difficult to develop for. The intention behind this was to discourage untalented third-party developers from releasing poor-quality games -- it was no longer practical for Yamauchi to personally approve every game -- but the plan backfired somewhat: given the commercial success of previous Nintendo systems, third-party developers were still keen to get their games on a Nintendo console, and this consequently led to a number of sloppy, low-quality third-party games that clashed significantly with the high-quality first- and second-party titles that were being released on the platform.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Always glad to be proven an idiot.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i don't even think that made any real difference; early 3d games were largely complete messes anyway, and the n64 using carts hurt it a hell of a lot more than being hard to program for, in addition to also compounding the difficulty in programming.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

Cubey posted:

i don't even think that made any real difference; early 3d games were largely complete messes anyway, and the n64 using carts hurt it a hell of a lot more than being hard to program for, in addition to also compounding the difficulty in programming.

yes, the N64's relative failure in the marketplace cannot be pinned down to one particular problem or decision, I agree. but the reason we don't have proper emulation can be much more simplified.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DARPA Dad posted:

yes, the N64's relative failure in the marketplace cannot be pinned down to one particular problem or decision, I agree. but the reason we don't have proper emulation can be much more simplified.

Well yeah but that isn't because of any particular feature of the console, it's the fact that emulating it right wasn't possible on the PC hardware of 1999 or for many years after, so everybody took the heavy shortcuts way instead.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Much as I love Prime 1 and the speedruns of it I do wish they'd do Prime 2 more often. The trick at the very start of that run is absolutely insane.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

Well yeah but that isn't because of any particular feature of the console, it's the fact that emulating it right wasn't possible on the PC hardware of 1999 or for many years after, so everybody took the heavy shortcuts way instead.

I think that's one of the two primary reasons, the other being the system's messed up architecture. The N64 uses a unified architecture, there's no "read, send to GPU, render" process. Everything's done in the same memory, which is very hard to emulate on x86 architecture. You have to render the image first using the RDP, modify it on the CPU and then re-render it with the graphics card. This is not a trivial process on x86 CPUs. It's similar to how we have barely functional Saturn emulation, but I think another problem there is that the Saturn was just never popular enough to attract the attention of emulator programmers.

DARPA Dad fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 9, 2015

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Does this boss have circus music for it's theme?

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
This run makes me really really want to play through the Prime trilogy again. Those games are so good. I never did end up collecting all the mcguffins in the first game and finishing it.

Come to think of it, I never collected all the mcguffins and finished the second game, either. And I don't remember if the third game had mcguffins but I never finished it either so I'm going to assume it did.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I'd just like to say in regards to Dolphin chat that Dolphin can run Metroid Prime at full speed throughout the entire game on my potato of a computer. gently caress, it can kind of even run Xenoblade on this thing with barely any lag. Dolphin is seriously the best emulator I've ever used.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

dijon du jour posted:

This run makes me really really want to play through the Prime trilogy again. I never did end up collecting all the mcguffins in the first game and finishing it. Come to think of it, I never collected all the mcguffins and finished the second game, either. And I don't remember if the third game had mcguffins but I never finished it either so I'm going to assume it did.

Do it, the Prime trilogy are good games for cool people

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009

dijon du jour posted:

This run makes me really really want to play through the Prime trilogy again. Those games are so good. I never did end up collecting all the mcguffins in the first game and finishing it.

Come to think of it, I never collected all the mcguffins and finished the second game, either. And I don't remember if the third game had mcguffins but I never finished it either so I'm going to assume it did.

You never fought Ridley?
Also the Newborn trick is great.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
So what's left?
Also gotta love that Omega Pirate fight. Woo, nice skip.

Anatharon posted:

Does this boss have circus music for it's theme?

The Chozo Ghost theme is pretty loud and pretty memorable really.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cubey posted:

The games are so incredibly awesome, but I never completed any of them either because I'm a huge babby :( The games are so immersive and stressful, and the "constantly lose HP" gimmick of Prime 2 was a bit too much for me. At some point during the game you get to this huge arena, so you know there's going to be a boss battle. I just went "can't do it" and never played further..

e: and loving seriously, I can't even listen to this poo poo without being stressed out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cWbLagjxbA

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Cubey posted:

Echoes and Corruption both have a few glaring flaws but overall the Prime trilogy is absolutely one of the best gaming series ever. Anybody who hasn't played it should.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The Colonel posted:

I'd just like to say in regards to Dolphin chat that Dolphin can run Metroid Prime at full speed throughout the entire game on my potato of a computer. gently caress, it can kind of even run Xenoblade on this thing with barely any lag. Dolphin is seriously the best emulator I've ever used.

The Prime games look amazingly good for 10+ year old titles when you crank up the rendering resolution.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The Colonel posted:

Yeah, Dolphin runs Prime 1 great, I did have some slowdown on Ridley but I think that was mostly my then-failing GPU. Prime 2 mostly runs great albeit with a weird black bar on the bottom when I last tried it.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Notorious QIG posted:

Echoes and Corruption both have a few glaring flaws but overall the Prime trilogy is absolutely one of the best gaming series ever. Anybody who hasn't played it should.

The only reason Prime 2 and 3 get any criticism is because the first game is so utterly perfect that nothing could ever possibly hope to match up to it. They are both still amazingly good games.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Speaking of running this game through Dolphin, I'm tempted to now since it's been a long time since I last played it. Since I still have the disc handy can I just run it off of that or would I need to find an .iso somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Cubey posted:

The only reason Prime 2 and 3 get any criticism is because the first game is so utterly perfect that nothing could ever possibly hope to match up to it. They are both still amazingly good games.

Oh absolutely, both of them have the Twilight Princess problem: they're very, very far from bad games, they just can't possibly match up with what came before.

• Locked thread