Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

quote:

In 2013, a federal appeals court ruled that giving the finger "alone cannot establish probable cause to believe a disorderly conduct violation has occurred"

I bet the judge's opinion on this was pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

TheSpiritFox posted:

I bet the judge's opinion on this was pretty funny.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/supreme-court-upholds-freedom-of-speech-in-obsceni,17372/

Probably happened like this.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

KernelSlanders posted:

I wish there was some long term polling on this. I'd be curious how much, if any, that has become less true in the last 20 years.

I would too. I'm basing my opinion off of how even when a cop gets to the point where he is being tried for his crimes, the jury will inevitably let him off regardless of if there is a video of him beating someone to death. It's really clear that the establishment doesn't understand the problem with how cops act (and often gets severely offended if you say there is one) but I'd be interested if the population at large is similar to the types of people that get selected for juries.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

TheSpiritFox posted:

Georgia? (guessing)

I'm curious about the backtalk one. I know cops can manufacture reasons to arrest you and such pretty easily, but I was under the impression you could tell a cop "gently caress you" and that specific act was not a crime in any way.

Oklahoma. The backtalk one punishes one who 'delays or obstructs" a police officer. It has been interpreted rather expansively.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
http://reason.com/blog/2015/01/08/watch-montana-officer-in-his-second-exon

Obviously a biased source but something seems wrong with his policy and training if he can put himself in a situation where he fears for his life and then shoot anyone who moves the wrong way. Read the updates because the original story makes it sound slightly worse than it is.

http://billingsgazette.com/news/loc...72d4bb1b61.html

video where he killed another guy, sounds exactly the same. Makes me think he really shouldn't be in stressful situations like this again.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Dum Cumpster posted:

Obviously a biased source but something seems wrong with his policy and training if he can put himself in a situation where he fears for his life and then shoot anyone who moves the wrong way. Read the updates because the original story makes it sound slightly worse than it is.

video where he killed another guy, sounds exactly the same. Makes me think he really shouldn't be in stressful situations like this again.
Oh my GOD, that stop was so unprofessional. He escalated the situation in the first video so quickly. I'd completely freeze if an officer started shouting obscenities in his second sentence.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Dum Cumpster posted:

:psyduck: I'M GOING TO SHOOT YOU! I'M GOING TO loving SHOOT YOU! Policing in America, ladies and gentlemen.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
"I'm going to shoot you" seems to be that rear end in a top hat's go-to phrase.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
Yep, putting body cameras on cops is going to fix everything.

I love the part after he shoots the guy. "Shots Fired, Shots loving Fired!" No poo poo, you just shot the guy 3 times. Why don't you yell at him some more and threaten to shoot him again?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Pohl posted:

I don't think anyone claimed this. But the fact that there's video proof of these things makes it a lot harder for the cops to lie about what happened convincingly enough for middle-class people to think "well maybe he did fear for his life, that other guy does sound like a thug"

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

VitalSigns posted:

I don't think anyone claimed this. But the fact that there's video proof of these things makes it a lot harder for the cops to lie about what happened convincingly enough for middle-class people to think "well maybe he did fear for his life, that other guy does sound like a thug"

Yeh, it's not like the threat of being caught red-handed will deter bad behavior. It WILL go a long way to dispelling the cop vs. thug myth. When the public is confronted with video evidence, the narrative will shift. I mean, we know it didn't do poo poo legally for Eric Gardner's execution to be filmed, but it did raise a lot more outrage than a hearsay recounting of the incident.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
Florida police use sex-crime laws to bait men with no apparent interest in underage trysts

quote:

You're probably thinking, Wait a minute, I'd run from underage encounters. How could men who were really seeking adult sex partners be groomed to break the law?

quote:

"In the case of a 27-year-old Cape Coral man ... deputies arrested him even though he didn't even travel to meet a child for sex. Law enforcement officers responded to the man's legal 'casual encounters' Craigslist ad, pretending to be a 14-year-old girl, even though the ad said, 'age for all women must be 18+ no one under email me plz.' The man repeatedly told the undercover detectives that he was 'not OK' with meeting up with an underage girl, but because he didn't immediately end the conversation, he was arrested for utilizing his phone to solicit a sexual act from a child. Detectives went to his house and arrested him as a sexual predator of children."

quote:

In essence, the police wasted time pursing non-threats to public safety in part to enrich themselves at the expense of people like a 24-year-old man arrested in a January sting, who "had to pay $10,000 cash to get his 2014 Lexus returned ... though all felony charges were later dropped in his case, he will not get the money back for either the negotiated settlement or the fees he paid an attorney to handle the vehicle case." This is yet another illustration of the need for asset forfeiture reform.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
So now that cameras are considered such an UNKNOWN that needs studying and careful consideration, I assume the ones that snap license plates and automatically sends tickets for people taking a right on red will be taken down?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Pohl posted:

Why do people keep saying this poo poo?

You cannot improve any process without being able to measure the status quo. A body camera is your ruler. If people ignore it then you have other issues, but it's not due to the camera not performing well.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Pohl posted:

I love the part after he shoots the guy. "Shots Fired, Shots loving Fired!" No poo poo, you just shot the guy 3 times. Why don't you yell at him some more and threaten to shoot him again?

He uh... He was calling it in. So of course he's going to say that. It's pretty standard even in the most by the book cases.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Solkanar512 posted:

Why do people keep saying this poo poo?

You cannot improve any process without being able to measure the status quo. A body camera is your ruler. If people ignore it then you have other issues, but it's not due to the camera not performing well.
All body cameras do is tacitly endorse the idea that bad policing is the result of a few bad apples, rather than them being reflective of systemic issues with the entire criminal justice system. People already don't care about those issues, as evidenced by numerous grand jury rulings and the lack of outrage from White America.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cole posted:

He uh... He was calling it in. So of course he's going to say that. It's pretty standard even in the most by the book cases.

I assume that's the nomenclature they use any time shots are fired, be it from the cop or the suspect, but I kind of feel like there should be a distinction between "shots fired at me" and "shots fired from my gun with no response."

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Misogynist posted:

All body cameras do is tacitly endorse the idea that bad policing is the result of a few bad apples, rather than them being reflective of systemic issues with the entire criminal justice system. People already don't care about those issues, as evidenced by numerous grand jury rulings and the lack of outrage from White America.

And even if body cameras are put on I wonder how many times they'll use the excuse 'I forgot to turn it on' and get nothing beyond a slap on the wrist?

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

E-Tank posted:

And even if body cameras are put on I wonder how many times they'll use the excuse 'I forgot to turn it on' and get nothing beyond a slap on the wrist?

the crux of this issue is that the only way to get cops to wear body cameras and turn them on is that you have to create a system that holds police accountable for not following the rules

which is the whole point of the entire movement in the first place.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Misogynist posted:

Body cameras don't endorse anything, and you're only going to get people to care about policing issues when you can keep throwing video after video into people's faces. The alternative is to have no way to directly measure what police are doing on the job.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The more rules and regulations corrupt cops have to workaround the better the paper trail of their abuses. No solution will be effective without support from the top, but at least accountability tools make the systemic corruption more obvious (e.g. When records requests go unanswered).

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I would think that body cameras endorse the idea that maybe the cop's testimony isn't the end-all be-all of the incident? I don't see how they make any comment at all about bad apples.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Solkanar512 posted:

Body cameras don't endorse anything, and you're only going to get people to care about policing issues when you can keep throwing video after video into people's faces. The alternative is to have no way to directly measure what police are doing on the job.

the only good argument I've heard against body cameras is that they might have a chilling effect on witness statements. On-scene witnesses to violent crimes are often terrified to be a "snitch" and give statements initially as "female 1" or "male 3" later the police/prosecutor may be able to help them decide to testify, but knowing there's a camera might result in a lot of "yeah, sorry...I didn't see anything" vs. "I'll tell you want I saw, but please don't put my name in it"

If there was a way to fix that (e.g. witness advisory "I have turned off my camera, you are not being filmed" or limits to FOIA-like release statutes to guarantee witness privacy) I really can't see an argument against them.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

There's another thread for discussing this.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Goddamn there's a whole thread :stare:

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

TheSpiritFox posted:

Goddamn there's a whole thread :stare:

And a mod from TVIV who is taking it way to personally for some reason.

On topic, what's going to happen when a private citizen walks up to another private citizen on camera and says "Put your hands up or I'll loving shoot you" and then shoots him?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

On topic, what's going to happen when a private citizen walks up to another private citizen on camera and says "Put your hands up or I'll loving shoot you" and then shoots him?

He'll go to prison unless he's super rich?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ActusRhesus posted:

the only good argument I've heard against body cameras is that they might have a chilling effect on witness statements. On-scene witnesses to violent crimes are often terrified to be a "snitch" and give statements initially as "female 1" or "male 3" later the police/prosecutor may be able to help them decide to testify, but knowing there's a camera might result in a lot of "yeah, sorry...I didn't see anything" vs. "I'll tell you want I saw, but please don't put my name in it"

If there was a way to fix that (e.g. witness advisory "I have turned off my camera, you are not being filmed" or limits to FOIA-like release statutes to guarantee witness privacy) I really can't see an argument against them.

These people weren't going to snitch anyhow.
And it creates a huge problem when the witness changes his story at trial.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

Is the person he shot black? How rich is the shooter? The victim?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

nm posted:

These people weren't going to snitch anyhow.
And it creates a huge problem when the witness changes his story at trial.

Not necessarily. We get "female 1" to take the stand quite often. It just takes work.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cole posted:

And he exuded all the professionalism of Bill Paxton's character from Aliens, too.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

DrNutt posted:

And he exuded all the professionalism of Bill Paxton's character from Aliens, too.

Given the situation, worrying about his potty mouth is kind of stupid. Cops who do get into legitimate shootings have a lot worse language over the radio and probably sound a lot less professional in a vacuum. It's really not that big of a deal.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cole posted:

Given the situation, worrying about his potty mouth is kind of stupid. Cops who do get into legitimate shootings have a lot worse language over the radio and probably sound a lot less professional in a vacuum. It's really not that big of a deal.

Yeah, sure, I was worried about his potty mouth and not the fact that he was amped up and ready to execute someone at the slightest movement on his motion tracker.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ActusRhesus posted:

Not necessarily. We get "female 1" to take the stand quite often. It just takes work.

Out here that really only happens in sex cases. It doesn't really stop the fear anyhow, because client and his buddies will see the person in court? And also, the name may not be public, but the client will know the name as I will have to ask him "why would witness lie about you?"

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

DrNutt posted:

Yeah, sure, I was worried about his potty mouth and not the fact that he was amped up and ready to execute someone at the slightest movement on his motion tracker.

Given the fact that I was specifically talking about his radio transmission being fairly standard for the situation and you not really saying much to make me think you were talking about something else then yes, I will agree you were worried about his potty mouth.

Ima Grip And Sip
Oct 19, 2014

:sherman:

DrNutt posted:

Yeah, it's not like he was a known criminal with a past involving drugs and weapons, and also wanted for shooting someone the night before. Being concerned about his lack of compliance and digging in his pants is clearly an overreaction when dealing with someone known to carry a gun. He was obviously reaching for a D&D Lollipop.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

A HOT TOPIC posted:

Yeah, it's not like he was a known criminal with a past involving drugs and weapons, and also wanted for shooting someone the night before. Being concerned about his lack of compliance and digging in his pants is clearly an overreaction when dealing with someone known to carry a gun. He was obviously reaching for a D&D Lollipop.

Again I think one scared person isn't the way to deal with this situation. Would there be something wrong with waiting in his car for more officers to arrive? They seemed to get there pretty quickly. I think that would be better for everyone involved.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

A HOT TOPIC posted:

Immediately shrieking obscenities at someone seems like a good way to ensure that they will respect your authority and comply with your clear instructions.

I don't really care if this is 'fairly standard' because that would appear to be the problem.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

nm posted:

Out here that really only happens in sex cases. It doesn't really stop the fear anyhow, because client and his buddies will see the person in court? And also, the name may not be public, but the client will know the name as I will have to ask him "why would witness lie about you?"

It plays out a little differently in the gang homicide cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

ActusRhesus posted:

It plays out a little differently in the gang homicide cases.

The ones where the victim is in another gang, or just totally unrelated bystander?
(The later of which happened scary number of times in some of the cities I lived in...)

• Locked thread