Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

bobservo posted:

God, I hope they do Men, Women & Children. That movie looked like a REAL piece of poo poo and something WHM could have a lot of fun with.
Agreed, "(Serious) Adam Sandler's family is torn apart by the internet in 2014" is a premise WHM could've invented themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea Dracula Untold (actually not too bad a movie) was/is meant to basically reboot the 'monster classics'..

I was under the impression that they were grandfathering iFrankenstein into that MCU-esque strategy after the fact, but that could also just be wishful thinking.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
unfortunately, I made the mistake of listening to the I Frankenstein episode while on a car trip (not driving, passenger) and I kept dozing off. So now I have no idea what the movie was about - but then again, it sounds like no one does, even if they were paying attention. All I got was "Hot Frankenstein somehow has to team up with gargoyles to attack demons for some reason and Bill Nighy is the prince of hell and....???? profit." Except not profit cause no one saw it.
Sorry, I realise this is the most :effort: comment on a podcast ever, and it's my fault I kept falling asleep, but...drat. I feel like I missed something. Sorry WHM.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Infamous Sphere posted:

unfortunately, I made the mistake of listening to the I Frankenstein episode while on a car trip (not driving, passenger) and I kept dozing off. So now I have no idea what the movie was about - but then again, it sounds like no one does, even if they were paying attention. All I got was "Hot Frankenstein somehow has to team up with gargoyles to attack demons for some reason and Bill Nighy is the prince of hell and....???? profit." Except not profit cause no one saw it.
Sorry, I realise this is the most :effort: comment on a podcast ever, and it's my fault I kept falling asleep, but...drat. I feel like I missed something. Sorry WHM.
Nope, that's about the gist of it.

I watched the movie right before listening to the episode and that's pretty much all the movie is.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Hewlett posted:

I was under the impression that they were grandfathering iFrankenstein into that MCU-esque strategy after the fact, but that could also just be wishful thinking.

Universal wasn't responsible for I Frankenstein so it's just like the other dozens of failed Frankenstein and Dracula movies and not planned to be connected to anything. Dracula Untold was the one that was retrofitted to be connected.

I for one cannot wait for Universal to lose a whole bunch of money on the worst idea ever.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

After relistening to WHM's Under Siege 2, I'll take back most of my criticism of Cabin. He is great in that episode, and I think he has been improving as the show goes along. The best combo is still Andrew, Steve, and Eric, but Cabin can be good too. Halloween III remains his best contribution.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hewlett posted:

Nope, unless I missed something Universal had nothing to do with that shitfest, so there's hope we can get a pretty ok 'reboot Frankenstein' thing still!

Dracula Untold wasn't terrible really, it wasn't really a traditional Dracula movie but it was an interesting blend of the historical myth and the supernatural myth. If you want a decent turn your brain off action movie with the typical overwrought "I MUST DO BAD THING FOR MY PEOPLE OH NO BAD THING HAS MADE ME BAD HOW DID I NOT SEE THIS COMING PERHAPS MAN IS THE REAL MONSTER" thing, not a bad rental.

I give it 2 wormy boners, is what I'm saying I guess.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
WHM is one of my favorite podcasts, glad there's a place to discuss it here. I just have to say I was just catching up on some back episodes and I was crying laughing and also shaking my head and going "Oh man, no..." when they went on the Super Mario Bros. tangent about all the weird sexual poo poo. Hilarious and cringe-inducing like many of the best WHM moments.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I wish they had talked about how bitchy Bill Nighy's performance was. I was expecting him to dis Frankenstein's outfit throughout the movie.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Cabin does some great work in Tuff Turf as well.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
The live Flophouse was fun. Special guest star David Lastnamewithheld Kalan shows up at the end and its pretty great.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Drunkboxer posted:

The live Flophouse was fun. Special guest star David Lastnamewithheld Kalan shows up at the end and its pretty great.

That was my favorite part of the live episode. Also, surprised at how normal his voice was. Now I want an episode that it's just him, Hallie and Stuart doing Housecat noises.

ChristianDB
Jun 29, 2008

Mojo Threepwood posted:

After relistening to WHM's Under Siege 2, I'll take back most of my criticism of Cabin. He is great in that episode, and I think he has been improving as the show goes along. The best combo is still Andrew, Steve, and Eric, but Cabin can be good too. Halloween III remains his best contribution.

I've listen to I, Frankenstein probably three times last week, I can't even get through this weeks episodes before switching to cat's eye ( thank you friend who supplied the list).

I'm not saying cabin is a dumb guy, he just a really unfunny dude, trying to be funny. He's good at feeding scenarios the other 2 can playoff but his weird irate voice which makes him sound like an angry aunt annoys me. He also seems to try finding the funny where there is no funny which usually just ends with steve saying " it doesn't matter" or " No one gives a poo poo....in this movie".

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The reason episodes with Steve are better than episodes without Steve is because of Steve, not the presence of Chris. It's a slower paced show without him but it still hits most of the marks.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I think we can agree that the best member of the WHM crew is hardboiled ex-screenwriter Eric Movie.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Anyone have a guess for next week? The only 2014 movies with GOT people that spring to mind are Pompeii, which I haven't seen and Dredd, which I barely remember but I think it was okayish?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Illinois Smith posted:

Anyone have a guess for next week? The only 2014 movies with GOT people that spring to mind are Pompeii, which I haven't seen and Dredd, which I barely remember but I think it was okayish?

If I remember they hated Dredd, but they were just talking about Pompeii in the episode where they talked bout the 2015 Razzies. So it could go either way! They seemed to only mildly dislike Pompeii though.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

weekly font posted:

The reason episodes with Steve are better than episodes without Steve is because of Steve, not the presence of Chris. It's a slower paced show without him but it still hits most of the marks.

Yeah for the umpteenth time it's not that Chris is a horrible person and sucks. He's just not as funny as the other three funny men on this funny podcast and the fact that they remove funny men from the room when he's on kinda sucks.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gyges posted:

If I remember they hated Dredd, but they were just talking about Pompeii in the episode where they talked bout the 2015 Razzies. So it could go either way! They seemed to only mildly dislike Pompeii though.

I am pretty sure they mentioned loving dredd and also that was 2012.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

I think the problem for me this week, is the movie choice. I remember seeing the previews and being baffled by it, and they don't do a great job explaining it either. Plus watching Colin Farrell play the romantic lead in something (or whatever he is in this movie) is totally unappealing.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Ochowie posted:

I think the problem for me this week, is the movie choice. I remember seeing the previews and being baffled by it, and they don't do a great job explaining it either. Plus watching Colin Farrell play the romantic lead in something (or whatever he is in this movie) is totally unappealing.

I have heard two movie podcasts do this movie and both of them are completely baffled by it. It makes no fucken sense.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

I have heard two movie podcasts do this movie and both of them are completely baffled by it. It makes no fucken sense.

Yeah, agreed. Last weeks movie was bad in a way that is conducive to comedy. This movie is bad in a way that isn't.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

There's a reason why the novel was considered "unfilmable" for a long time.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I always kind of like the episodes about movies that are just totally baffling.

I still feel like this movie's existence is way less baffling than Jingle All the Way 2's, though.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Charles Dance was in Dracula Untold, so maybe that's the movie they're talking about?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Holy poo poo go to the whm facebook page or their spreadshirt store and marvel at the wonder of Eric Movie

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Calaveron posted:

Holy poo poo go to the whm facebook page or their spreadshirt store and marvel at the wonder of Eric Movie SCRIPT DOCTOR

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Illinois Smith posted:

As mentioned above Dredd was 2012 (and good.) It's almost certainly Pompeii. The only other real option is the 300 sequel.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The 300 sequel was pretty bad and I would like to hear someone talk about how dumb it is because all my friends have terrible taste in movies and thought it was almost as good as the original.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Calaveron posted:

Holy poo poo go to the whm facebook page or their spreadshirt store and marvel at the wonder of Eric Movie

I would watch the poo poo out of a gritty noir movie about a burned-out freelance script doctor.

Also

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Gyges posted:

The 300 sequel was pretty bad and I would like to hear someone talk about how dumb it is because all my friends have terrible taste in movies and thought it was almost as good as the original.

Flophouse did an episode on it. They didn't really eviscerate it though, just kind of talked about how it was dumb and boring and didn't have the elements that made the first movie any fun.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Evil Mastermind posted:

I would watch the poo poo out of a gritty noir movie about a burned-out freelance script doctor.

Also

Holy loving :lol:

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

Could it be The Other Woman? Nicholas Coster-Waldau is in that and it was pretty awful.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Ochowie posted:

Could it be The Other Woman? Nicholas Coster-Waldau is in that and it was pretty awful.

I hope it is. Pompeii and Dracula Untold seem too obvious. The Other Woman would be at least a bit different

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I dunno, I like Cabin, but maybe my perception is colored by my adoration of the Poison Ivy episode. Also Eric Movie is fantastic.

Also I'm listening to the episode, and the words are words, and there are sentences, but I have NO IDEA WHAT IS GOING ON :psyboom:

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jan 14, 2015

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

With HDTGM and The Cinema Snob's Midnight Review, that's the third time I've heard a group of people try to explain Winter's Tale

Life or death, gun to the back of my head, I still couldn't tell you what that movie was about or why one scene follows another

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Gyges posted:

I actually tracked down and watched Chopping Mall after that episode.
Chopping Mall is legitimately a fun awesome flick, love it. I haven't heard the episode, but stuff like that or "No Retreat, No Surrender" which are just great well made entertaining kooky b-movies, I don't feel like somebody explaining why they're strange movies is that entertaining. At least to me, for example I popped on the Child's Play 3 episode (not a movie I like) but they just kind of bag on the series and the comedy slasher genre in general in a way without love for it. I don't think most of those movies are particularly crazy, and if you don't like any Chucky movies anyway bagging on the boring one seems less interesting than if they liked ol' Chuck. On the other hand, I love these podcasts for movies I wouldn't have an interest in watching myself, so it's like they're doing the dirty work.

How Did This Get Made is my favorite of these by far, even if they're bagging on a movie I dig, something about their tone appeals to me more. It's just funnier to me. I think some of the movies these podcasts pick are just more entertaining to watch on their own though. For example local theater has a bad movie night that showed Trancers one time. I'm like, hey, if Trancers is garbage... I want to live in the dump! Now, The Taking of Beverly Hills, that's incredible garbage. But then again, it's funny enough to be watchable, so it's still kind of awesome.

My ramble if it has a point, I think unintentionally funny movies can often be pretty awesome, and if the tone of a podcast is that it's a slog to sit through such an entertaining thing, I'm just not on the same page as the podcasters at times. I'm thinking, if you can't enjoy some of these B-movie gems, I wonder why you're watching so many B-movies. But hey, I still dig the idea.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 14, 2015

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I agree, HDTGM's enthusiastic tone, actual funny people as hosts, and weird perspective makes it my favorite. It's refreshing in a sea of angry nerds who act like the movie they watched is a pile of demon poo poo that fell on their house and killed their entire family. I like WHM, but it does stray pretty close to the "Nostalgia Critic" type model of talking about weird and bad movies at times. The reactions of HDTGM's hosts seem more varied and sincere than most bad movie "review" things.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Beeez posted:

The reactions of HDTGM's hosts seem more varied and sincere than most bad movie "review" things.

HDTGM is my second favorite but no way. Spoilers for the next episode: June has a dumb opinion, Jason jerked off to something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

weekly font posted:

HDTGM is my second favorite but no way. Spoilers for the next episode: June has a dumb opinion, Jason jerked off to something.

Don't forget June will also have an insane theory that Jason will tell everyone to shut during so he can properly listen to.