Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

zoux posted:

Deep Hurting isn't syndicated is he? I mean, I know he's controversial here but I don't think you can deny the dude is a talented artist. Kreider only published in alt weeklies, so I don't know what they are looking for.
I don't think he's syndicated.

I think part of it is just a similar situation to the funny pages where you have a bunch of entrenched guys that are clearly past their prime and refuse to retire and open up the doors for more people. Also, places are hurting for money so they're more than likely to keep the mainstays and fire the up-and-comers who have yet to really "prove" themselves. Also, I think there's something of a self-fulfilling prophecy where people don't care about political cartoons because "political cartoons are poo poo" so papers don't work as hard to hire quality cartoonists and thus political cartoons that get published are largely poo poo.

Take this with a grain of salt since this is purely conjecture on my part, and I have no personal connection to "the biz" or whatever. But the problems with cartooning is definitely not a lack of talent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Boehner looks like he came straight from a Gorillaz video.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

zoux posted:

Deep Hurting isn't syndicated is he? I mean, I know he's controversial here but I don't think you can deny the dude is a talented artist. Kreider only published in alt weeklies, so I don't know what they are looking for.

Kreider's retired from cartooning, isn't he?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

He's definitely retired from political stuff. The Bush administration was apparently not good for his mental health.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

prefect posted:

Kreider's retired from cartooning, isn't he?

He is, but he's an unbelievably talent artist. I mean, I guess his content is going to be way to outre for newspapers, but when guys like Branco and LIccar and Catalino and Gorrell are making mint when there are artists who are ten times as good, you just wonder why this isn't a merit based industry.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Sandpuppy posted:

Boehner looks like he came straight from a Gorillaz video.

They all do. I've never seen Telnaes' work before, she's really talented.

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

Not even well drawn ponies.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hitler B. Natural posted:

Has the thread heard from McCoy the Lesser or Lisa Benson yet?

"I'd rather rip off someone else's cartoon than think up my own idea for a cartoonist's eulogy"

- Lisa Benson

For those not following the news: the French police have killed the Charlie Hebdo shooters.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The dude who made this is making $3,500+ a month on Patreon.

Yup.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Rorus Raz posted:

Yup.

Are the cartoons something he does in his spare time?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

prefect posted:

How many iterations of this thread have you been around? You should know by now that talent and payment are entirely disconnected here. :shrek:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

T-man posted:

How many iterations of this thread have you been around? You should know by now that talent and payment are entirely disconnected here. :shrek:

Hope and/or naivete spring eternal. :smith:

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

This thread always reminds me that a real life Galt's Gulch would be a barren wasteland.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

prefect posted:

He quit his day job in November to do the comic full time :smithicide:

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Meh. I'm happy that any cartoonist can make a living at this

...I guess I should point out that I'm a cartoonist myself, so I have different viewpoints than most non-artists here :v:

(and yeah, I'm not the greatest artist around, but I'm aiming to improve)

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

I know for a fact that everyone in DnD likes to pretend they've never heard of the Something Awful frontpage, but right now it has a good collection of horrible DeviantArt tributes to Charlie Hebdo.

This one is my favourite by a long way:

The #jesuischarlie hashtag on DeviantArt is a goldmine for worthless tributes, mainly consisting of very bad artists shoehorning their OCs/fursonas into the tragedy.

They're all pretty much like this.

MacGowans Teeth
Aug 13, 2003

zoux posted:

He is, but he's an unbelievably talent artist. I mean, I guess his content is going to be way to outre for newspapers, but when guys like Branco and LIccar and Catalino and Gorrell are making mint when there are artists who are ten times as good, you just wonder why this isn't a merit based industry.

Too outre? The guy who drew "Graveyard Shift at the Pussy Juice Factory"?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Bruce Rauner is being a petulant dick to media, which means I'm sure we'll get a fawning tribute from Eric Allie soon enough. It'll at least be less obnoxious than his recent "Al Sharpton is the cause of all violence" dumbass streak.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Gilganixon posted:

:qq:

It's :911: all over again.

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

Rorus Raz posted:

Yup.

Ironically, this is yet more proof that a loving God cannot exist.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Mister Beeg posted:

...I guess I should point out that I'm a cartoonist myself, so I have different viewpoints than most non-artists here :v:

Let me be clear that it's really cool that Patreon is serving as another way for artists to make a living. However, it's hard to get pumped about a transphobic, misogynist, homophobic and all-around rear end in a top hat dude making a living off his lovely Christian version of the Oatmeal when far better cartoonists are struggling to get even a few hundred a month.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

D.N. Nation posted:

Bruce Rauner is being a petulant dick to media, which means I'm sure we'll get a fawning tribute from Eric Allie soon enough. It'll at least be less obnoxious than his recent "Al Sharpton is the cause of all violence" dumbass streak.
Allie is hilariously lazy these days. He puts out like maybe 2 cartoons a week and is the only somewhat prominent cartoonist I can think of who couldn't even be arsed to draw anything about Charlie Hebdo over the last couple of days. Even 80-year-old Oliphant was roused from his slumber.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Allie honestly feels like he's just in it for the money. He knows what his audience wants, and he draws it.
Not that this makes him any less of a shitbag.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Rorus Raz posted:

Let me be clear that it's really cool that Patreon is serving as another way for artists to make a living. However, it's hard to get pumped about a transphobic, misogynist, homophobic and all-around rear end in a top hat dude making a living off his lovely Christian version of the Oatmeal when far better cartoonists are struggling to get even a few hundred a month.

I hadn't heard of this guy before, but wow. I wonder if the Oatmeal guy can sue him or something. It would be fun, at least. :)

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Best Bad Reporter

Mister Beeg posted:

Was surprised to hear you're only 25, because from your cartoons I get the feeling a lot of your influences are pretty old. Like Krazy Kat old, or early FBOFW. Am I close?

Gilganixon posted:

I know for a fact that everyone in DnD likes to pretend they've never heard of the Something Awful frontpage, but right now it has a good collection of horrible DeviantArt tributes to Charlie Hebdo.

This one is my favourite by a long way:

The #jesuischarlie hashtag on DeviantArt is a goldmine for worthless tributes, mainly consisting of very bad artists shoehorning their OCs/fursonas into the tragedy.

Hell yeah bub. I haven't had a "political cartoons or deviantart" feature since, what, the Boston Marathon bombing?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

:3:

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Broken Loose posted:

My absolute favorite detail is that Clarence Thomas is silent.

It's still not completely true to life unless he's asleep.

KiteAuraan posted:

Because he realized he can change it to mean "Obama said a thing and motivated the evil Saracens to commit their evil acts of terrible violence! :freep:". The edit actually made it even worse somehow. I am impressed McCoy, you constantly one up your poo poo factor.

It also makes it slightly more difficult for people to find the speech in it's full context, which is a pretty masterful move for such a dumbass individual.

Broken Cog posted:

Allie honestly feels like he's just in it for the money. He knows what his audience wants, and he draws it.
Not that this makes him any less of a shitbag.

This describes 95% of all US political cartoonists and is the exact reason they are all so lovely. Except Rall, he just draws whatever he wants to hear.

They loooooove Mort.

Where is the poo poo plane?

If only everyone had giant buck teeth.

What about murderers of art? Barry has a challenger.

Et tu, SWEN?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Mister Beeg's style reminds me of the old newspaper comic "Broom Hilda"

Who's cartoonist is still alive, apparently.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Internet Webguy posted:

They loooooove Mort.

They need to be quiet. The bones are sleeping it off, the Skeleton Frat Party was one for the ages.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Internet Webguy posted:

They loooooove Mort.

Out of all the people to be able to see Death, he had to get these jerks.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

That is significantly better than what I was expecting from Horsey.

He's getting better :unsmith:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Internet Webguy posted:

They loooooove Mort.

gently caress you.

It's "Je t'aiiiime mort!"

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Shugojin posted:

I can't see this and not thing of some stupid ultra grimdark version of Masters of the Universe.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Rorus Raz posted:

That's the one. I could only vaguely recall it but knew it was stylistically close.

Jedit posted:

gently caress you.

I want to see a cartoon of, like, a terrorist with a smoking gun in one hand and a bloody knife in the other and he's belting out "Non, je ne regrette rien!"

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Shugojin posted:

"THERE ARE TIMES", he said with an air of unmistakable anger, "WHEN I GET VERY UPSET."

Je suis un chaton, I guess?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
video of Steve Bell drawing/explaining his last cartoon

This one is literally a Charlie Hebdo cartoon with the signs added

Jedit posted:

no it isn't

There is no innocent cartoonist. Every cartoon is deliberate

exmarx fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 9, 2015

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

colonel_korn posted:

Allie is hilariously lazy these days. He puts out like maybe 2 cartoons a week and is the only somewhat prominent cartoonist I can think of who couldn't even be arsed to draw anything about Charlie Hebdo over the last couple of days. Even 80-year-old Oliphant was roused from his slumber.

At least he doesn't C&P GIS results? But yeah, his output has really fallen off, even considering Prickly lovely stuff. The "insight" he gave into those Illinois governor race cartoons can be boiled down to "Rauner awesome, media mean," which, who cares?

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Rorus Raz posted:

Oh.

I never heard of this guy, so I didn't know he drew stuff like this. Sorry :v:

Saint Sputnik posted:

Was surprised to hear you're only 25, because from your cartoons I get the feeling a lot of your influences are pretty old. Like Krazy Kat old, or early FBOFW. Am I close?
Yeah, but also stuff like "Calvin and Hobbes", and Japanese cartoons, having lived there for years (believe it or not, not everything in Japan looks like "Pokemon" :v: )

But yeah, it's no shock that older cartoons were my big influence. I credit my dad for giving me a book on the history of old comics when I was a kid.

Rorus Raz posted:

I actually really like the early Broom Hilda strips. It was surprisingly well-drawn, and REALLY, REALLY weird.

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Shugojin posted:

If only Horsey was younger and nerdier we could have had Sandman Death react to this

• Locked thread