Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

which is the best web browser on windows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
there isn't a best, but chrome is the least bad

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

kalstrams posted:

which is the best web browser on windows?

firefox is the best

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

what's different between chrome and firefox? and opera if it still is a thing

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

kalstrams posted:

chrome uses piece of poo poo webkit based stuff and has worse adblock. firefox uses good gecko based rendering and has the best adblock.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i don't use adblock, but ill try that gecko thing after i wake up, thanks

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

kalstrams posted:

i don't use adblock, but ill try that gecko thing after i wake up, thanks

you don't try gecko, it's built into firefox.

i mean unless you're developing an outside application and need a renderer that is.

also you should always use adblock until a site gives you reason to trust it otherwise

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i meant ill try out how firefox behaves when browsing what I do from chrome. in particular, im curious about performance - ive seen somewhere that firefox requires less resources than chrome, due to non-webkit rendering

as for adblock, i currently have µBlock on chrome

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

firefox 34.0.5, windows 8.1 (x64)
this font poo poo i have with windows every once in a while is tiresome

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

thread for when its time to buy a mac

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

im poor and addicted to bideo james
also :rip: stebe, mac is not what it used to be

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

tim is an able custodian of steves affairs

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

iphone 6 plus proves otherwise

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

iphone 6 plus is an excellent mechanism for removing money from idiots and ushering them in to Stebe's loving arms

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

kalstrams posted:

Chrome is a product of an advertising company and starts faster. Firefox is a product of a privacy company and has better addons. Both are about the same speed for loading webpages

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

lampey posted:

a privacy company

aaaahahahahah

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

google is a privacy company too when you think about it....

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
can someone please give me a reliable source of tablet sales for different brands?

an article claims that "Android has since surpassed the iPad to become the tablet leader." http://money.cnn.com/gallery/technology/innovationnation/2015/01/02/ces-gadget-hits-and-flops/16.html

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i suggest you get an ipad if you want a tablet, or a surface if you want a "tablet" taht behaves as a PC.

android is worse than an ipad but cant run windows poo poo so its worse than either.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

can someone please give me a reliable source of tablet sales for different brands?

an article claims that "Android has since surpassed the iPad to become the tablet leader." http://money.cnn.com/gallery/technology/innovationnation/2015/01/02/ces-gadget-hits-and-flops/16.html

http://tabtimes.com/resources/the-state-of-the-tablet-market/

from 2013 but w/e

tl;dr - the iPad is the best selling tablet but android has a higher marketshare (because they release a million different versions)

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

are there any 3rd party alps touchpad drivers that aren't a huge pile of poo poo for windows? the ones I have are janky as poo poo with the gestures and even basic poo poo like Press Left+Right Buttons For Middle Click has a tolerance of maybe 50ms and its loving impossible to do consistently because the people who made this thing hate humanity

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

are there any 3rd party alps touchpad drivers that aren't a huge pile of poo poo

hahahahahahahahhahaahahha

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahah

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

computer parts posted:

http://tabtimes.com/resources/the-state-of-the-tablet-market/

from 2013 but w/e

tl;dr - the iPad is the best selling tablet but android has a higher marketshare (because they release a million different versions)

thanks! that actually makes sense. gently caress that cnn article

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

next time I'm telling my boss to get me a macbook air or don't expect me to work remotely because gently caress this handmedown piece of poo poo dell

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Our oracle dev server has about a half-dozen copies of our production database that are used for testing various different things, each of which has its own db files backing it. It's a big pain in the rear end because they pull down fresh copies off production and overwrite the whole thing and it eats IOPS and makes backups suck. Is there a way to keep one master database and thing spin off test instances from it that only generate delta file, kinda like gold masters for vm images? this is on 11gR2

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

graph posted:

hahahahahahahahhahaahahha

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahah

ya

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i have google for business account with domain and 6 emails on it
any recommendations as of where i should migrate it, if i want neither google nor my own mail server?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

kalstrams posted:

any recommendations as of where i should migrate it, if i want neither google nor my own mail server?

i've heard people around here saying nice things about fastmail.fm

i created an account just to try it out, and it's not bad. definitely better than gmail in usability

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

kalstrams posted:

prefect posted:

i've heard people around here saying nice things about fastmail.fm

i created an account just to try it out, and it's not bad. definitely better than gmail in usability

fastmail is amazing

i have a personal account and they respond to my support email (bug reports) in a few hours

they seem really on top of their game

also their blog rules:

http://blog.fastmail.com/2012/11/26/inter-tab-communication-using-local-storage/

http://blog.fastmail.com/2014/12/23/jmap-a-better-way-to-email/

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

thanks guys, you sold fastmail to me
seems like good stuff, enhanced plan gives me everything i need while saving me $30/year

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
what would happen if i put a 128 gb micro sd in an adapter that supposedly only handles 64 gb
would it burn or not work at all or would it be slow

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

what would happen if i put a 128 gb micro sd in an adapter that supposedly only handles 64 gb
would it burn or not work at all or would it be slow
slow
up to whatever gb is usually what they have tested, anything sdxc compatible should be able to take whatever you get for sensible amount of money

e:

sdhc is <32gb
sdxc is >32gb

if it takes 64gb, it takes sdxc, so it should take any sdxc, which is up to 2tb

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 8, 2015

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

holy poo poo this owns

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

kalstrams posted:

slow
up to whatever gb is usually what they have tested, anything sdxc compatible should be able to take whatever you get for sensible amount of money

e:

sdhc is <32gb
sdxc is >32gb

if it takes 64gb, it takes sdxc, so it should take any sdxc, which is up to 2tb

thanks
i want to buy a niftydrive but since it costs and ungodly amount of money i chose to buy a chinese fake but they all say its up to 64 gb so i had doubts. thx

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
sdxc cards come formatted with a different filesystem by default from sdhc cards. I don't know about your adapter but I found my MP3 player wasn't able to support this filesystem so I had to format the card with a different one. maybe that's what the stated limitation is alluding to?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

gifv is poo poo

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
gently caress matlab, its complaining about stupid poo poo like; Undefined function 'im2double' for input arguments of type 'uint8'.

when i know the function is available

>> which -all im2double
C:\Program Files\MATLAB\R2014a\toolbox\images\images\im2double.m % Has no license available
C:\Program Files\MATLAB\R2014a\toolbox\images\images\@gpuArray\im2double.m % gpuArray method, Has no license available

so why wont it work :argh::argh:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

is folder with your function added to running path of matlab or whatever in the gently caress is called what determines where it looks for stuff?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Valeyard posted:

gently caress matlab, its complaining about stupid poo poo like; Undefined function 'im2double' for input arguments of type 'uint8'.

when i know the function is available

>> which -all im2double
C:\Program Files\MATLAB\R2014a\toolbox\images\images\im2double.m % Has no license available
C:\Program Files\MATLAB\R2014a\toolbox\images\images\@gpuArray\im2double.m % gpuArray method, Has no license available

so why wont it work :argh::argh:

maybe you need a license you filthy stinking pirate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

it may bug out from being in toolbox directory
try removing it from there to elsewhere and/or
code:
rehash toolbox
e:

quote:

if one of your function names in the current directory conflicts with the name of a function from a toolbox you do not own, the license manager disables that whole directory

e2:

if these doesnt help, see spankmeister
or check your network lic/whatever if you have recently upgraded, it can shitpant too

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 9, 2015