Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
So what artillery is exactly "meta" in the defense/attack skirmishes and clan warts right now? I thought the B-C 155 58 was still hot poo poo because it has a turret, autoloader and can relocate fast, but apparently the 261 is much, much better at straight-up eliminating players with AP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

OSad posted:

So what artillery is exactly "meta" in the defense/attack skirmishes and clan warts right now? I thought the B-C 155 58 was still hot poo poo because it has a turret, autoloader and can relocate fast, but apparently the 261 is much, much better at straight-up eliminating players with AP.

GC, 261, M53/55 and sometimes the Batchat arty are what are used in CW right now.

I am a heathen, so I never run AP with my 261.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Darkrenown posted:

Fairly spergy question if anyone knows:
Was the German flak 88 gun designed to be able to engage tanks/bunkers etc as well as being an AA gun, or was its handy-dandy double use simply discovered during its use in the Spanish civil war - presumably they were operating on a tight budget there and might have just made do, then found it to be pretty useful? I thought the former, but I haven't been able to find anything proving it. A good source either way would be very useful.

The design dates all the way back to the Flak 18. There weren't too many tanks running around back then. Until the Matilda II hit the battlefield, there was no need for such a big AT gun, and small mobile 37 mm guns were enough to knock out anything.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
starting to get the hang of the panther 88. its really quite alright. think my initial disappointment was due to truly cursed mm.

a fairly decent game:
http://wotreplays.eu/site/1510936

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
There were some though. Plus there's always bunkers and other ground targets - the flak 18 was certainly used against such targets in the Spanish Civil war, before Matilda 2's were a problem, although I agree it would have been massive overkill vs T-26s.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Illegal Carrot posted:

Can you post it here? I'd like to try it out too.

Here's a link to it on my Mediafire just to save time and not send it to a website that will inevitably send you to another.

First, TURN OFF FXAA if you have it enabled in game otherwise bad poo poo happens.

It is pretty cut and dry, unpack the zip file and place it in a folder you won't accidentally delete. My games are all installed and run off a separate drive so it lives in the folder /FlightFX.
- I run mine as admin so once you have it open you will see the gui on the tab Profile Manager.
- From there down the bottom left choose the Register New Game button.
- That will launch a window, find the game executable for tanks, WorldOfTanks.exe and it will create a new entry that will appear in the main GUI window.
- Click on your new entry and in the right pane click the box with Enable SweetFX.
- Once you enabled SweetFX that creates all the necessary folders with files and poo poo in the game folder so you can choose the Edit SweetFX settings button which will open the second tab, FX Settings which is where the magic happens.
- In the FX Settings tab there is a whole host of selections you can use to dick around and customize the look. Experiment, there are some brief explanations when you hover over the checkbox to enable a particular setting and there are sections for what you can tweak.
I will post screens of how I have mine set for reference and that is what you see in the garage.
- Run the game in windowed mode after setting up SweetFX and with the FlightFX open make the changes to the FX Settings. I would recommend for testing purposes to use the Splitscreen function, with the slider all the way to the left which is the split screen you saw in my example, that way you can see what is being changed. So game open, tab out to the FX Settings and make your change then Pause then it will make the change on the fly with the client running. Be sure whenever you enable, disable or make changes to first update by using the Pause (or whatever you changed it to) button else the changes won't update! I have multiple monitors so I can dick around and see everything without having to gently caress around much.
- One more note on tab one there are a few entries for the on/off, take screenshot and reload shaders commands as well as another checkbox to improve Steam Overlay Compatibility. The default for enabled SweetFX is the first selection, 145 is the Scroll Lock but you can click in there and change that. Reload shaders is set to the Pause key by default.

I am using SweetFX on tanks, botes and MechWarrior Online and it has made a difference in the overall look of every game. No FPS loss for me at least or random crashing etc. but YMMV.

Good luck! If you need my help PM me and I can jump on TS and help to the best of my ability.

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit
Other then actually installing XVM, what am I doing wrong in regards to the install?

I downloaded it
Copied it over res_mods > 0.9.5
Signed in
Activated services

Then I booted up the game, but nothing was active.

Edit:
extracted it wrong, seems to be working now, but player efficiency rating doesn't display.

Frag Viper fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 10, 2015

one on a bun
Oct 23, 2008
Is there a reason why the reload indicator on jimbo's keeps going to 0 at random times as I'm loading?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

one on a bun posted:

Is there a reason why the reload indicator on jimbo's keeps going to 0 at random times as I'm loading?

WG broke some scripts that let custom reticles work properly. Try toggling sniper mode a few times, that usually does the trick.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

Mesadoram posted:

GC, 261, M53/55 and sometimes the Batchat arty are what are used in CW right now.

I am a heathen, so I never run AP with my 261.

Nothing heathen about that.

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Ladies and She-Hulks can't resist Murdock's Big Hallway Energy

Ensign Expendable posted:

The design dates all the way back to the Flak 18. There weren't too many tanks running around back then. Until the Matilda II hit the battlefield, there was no need for such a big AT gun, and small mobile 37 mm guns were enough to knock out anything.

My understanding from the MilHist thread is that literally the only good idea Hitler had in WWII was to point 88's at tanks.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

KurdtLives posted:

My understanding from the MilHist thread is that literally the only good idea Hitler had in WWII was to point 88's at tanks.

I believe the whole pointing aa guns and medium artillery at tanks thing had been done in the Spanish Civil War. Hence the AP shells in ready supply for WWII.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I proclaimed my love for a TOG II player as I was constantly ramming him from behind with my tank. Apparently the other player liked it so much I got a clan invite out of it. This game is loving weird.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Thanks, I got this running and it's a nice step up.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001
What the gently caress?
What the gently caress?
AAAAARGH!

I don't think I've ever been this pissed at a good player: http://wotreplays.com/site/1511911#sacred_valley-alleviatedrisk-t28

Jump 2 minutes into the match, and watch a Panther88 do his best to make sure I can't help him, and then just watch the unicum FCM 50t.
I don't even loving know.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon
Huh, gonna test that fx stuff. saw some other screenshots of some other dude using it, and it looks p crisp.

Also, anyone got a working mod with the 9.1/9.4 test sounds? theyre gone from aslain...

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

rockopete posted:

Thanks, I got this running and it's a nice step up.

Glad I was able to help. I tried the stand alone SweetFX without the GUI as well as another GUI and this was the most easy to work with.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Noobmeter says I have the highest 30day WN8 in PANSY, does this make me cool or am I still bad for playing a bad game about tanks and being a sperg :smith:?

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'

apseudonym posted:

Noobmeter says I have the highest 30day WN8 in PANSY, does this make me cool or am I still bad for playing a bad game about tanks and being a sperg :smith:?

Who plays this game thirty days in a row? Perhaps you should seek help.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

subhelios posted:

Who plays this game thirty days in a row? Perhaps you should seek help.

:confused: thats not 30 day WN8 means? Its averaged not summed.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:

Valle posted:

What the gently caress?
What the gently caress?
AAAAARGH!

I don't think I've ever been this pissed at a good player: http://wotreplays.com/site/1511911#sacred_valley-alleviatedrisk-t28

Jump 2 minutes into the match, and watch a Panther88 do his best to make sure I can't help him, and then just watch the unicum FCM 50t.
I don't even loving know.

Oh come on Risk, I know you've played with CHAI teammates before

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

rossmum posted:

Oh come on Risk, I know you've played with CHAI teammates before

They weren't CHAI. The P88 and FCM were platooned. The P88 was a furry.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

now people in this thread are getting pissed when they win lmao

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

i DIED in a tank match, what in the absolute gently caress guy!! WHAT THE ABSOLUTE poo poo!! reported....... for assholery........

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
So I was playing the xbox 360 version on my brother's 360, having previously scoffed at the PC version of WoT because I'm a dumbshit. After being floored by how fun it was on the console, I wanted to ask just how much it differs on the PC.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

nutranurse posted:

So I was playing the xbox 360 version on my brother's 360, having previously scoffed at the PC version of WoT because I'm a dumbshit. After being floored by how fun it was on the console, I wanted to ask just how much it differs on the PC.

On the PC version, you can put Anime skins on your tanks.

So improved in every way, essentially.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

OSad posted:

On the PC version, you can put Anime skins on your tanks.

So improved in every way, essentially.

But can others see my obnoxious anime skins???

e: if it is possible to mod the game so that everytime your tank fire naruto obnoxiously screams BELIEVE IT then this def game is for me

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 10, 2015

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

nutranurse posted:

I feel like it's a bit faster on the PC, mostly because it's far more precise what with the advantages conferred with mouse and keyboard. The tracer system is a fair bit different and the crew/equipment system is completely different.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Also if some goon wants to send me an invite code to do that referral stuff just send me a PM, I'll give you my e-mail to send the invite.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nutranurse posted:

Also if some goon wants to send me an invite code to do that referral stuff just send me a PM, I'll give you my e-mail to send the invite.

What server are you on? NA or EU?

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon
hopefully NA considering the anime remarks...

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Atal Vataman posted:

hopefully NA considering the anime remarks...

Chumbly needs a soulmate.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Control Volume posted:

now people in this thread are getting pissed when they win lmao

Yes we won. He still loving threw me under the bus. I'm not mad about the outcome of the match, I'm mad about getting thrown under the bus. How the gently caress can you possibly not understand this?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Gervasius posted:

What server are you on? NA or EU?

NA. And I'm not a fan of anime, but I can appreciate the humor behind decking out your tank with anime decals. BELIEVE IT.

e: My valuable e-mail's been claimed. Sorry tank bros.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 10, 2015

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

nutranurse posted:

But can others see my obnoxious anime skins???

e: if it is possible to mod the game so that everytime your tank fire naruto obnoxiously screams BELIEVE IT then this def game is for me

Nobody can see your modded skins but you. You can definitey modify your sound assets as well as textures.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Smashed roomba with my big butt.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

thylacine posted:

That's an E-25. Rhoomba doesn't move that quickly!

PS: Try this for them moving pictures: http://blog.bahraniapps.com/gifcam/

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

thylacine posted:

That isn't a roomba. That is an e-25. The roomba is the tier 8 turreted german td. A very nasty rear end in a top hat when it first came out thanks to its amazing camo combined with serious firepower (no, seriously, 150mm is a bad thing to give t8s) and amazing view range.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

apseudonym posted:

I have the highest 30day..

That's your problem.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Valle posted:

That's an E-25. Rhoomba doesn't move that quickly!

PS: Try this for them moving pictures: http://blog.bahraniapps.com/gifcam/

Oh, fine. I smashed an E 25 which I hate with my butt. Thanks, I keep trying to record them with fraps and go to premiere and other convoluted crap.