Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

hubris.height posted:

Now that I'm on the clock tower I'm trying to figure out how the group date cafe fits into the story for Rei

I remember there being some weak justification for it, but let's face it the real reason for the group date cafe was for fanservice shipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Axle_Stukov posted:

I remember there being some weak justification for it, but let's face it the real reason for the group date cafe was for fanservice shipping.

I'm glad of it, because it introduced me to my new OTP, Minato x Naoto

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Freak Futanari posted:

same but yu fu

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012
Does anyone ever see the sets of tarot cards from the new Persona games for sale on ebay or whatever? Are they reasonably priced? I have no interest in the Arena games but it feels weird playing with half a deck

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

hubris.height posted:

Yes ypu can end up married to the dog and the comment is that the world will never accept your love.

Now that I'm on the clock tower I'm trying to figure out how the group date cafe fits into the story for Rei

The game does kinda-sorta explain it in the ending. The labyrinths reflect Rei's life, desires and fears, but the exact form they took was also influenced by the presence of the PCs because blah blah Jung blah blah collective unconscious. Rei wanted to to be able to do normal things like go to school and date and that combined with the P4 cast's memories of the culture festival to create the Group Date Cafe dungeon.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

hubris.height posted:

Yes ypu can end up married to the dog and the comment is that the world will never accept your love.

Rei dreamed of a Prince Charming taking her away for a wedding.

I will give Rise points on being completely unabashed if she's picked for the date.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Junpei Hyde posted:

Specifically, Yuzu and Naoya's voices aren't doing it for me. Atsuro's is pretty good though.

E: Also, can I fuse demons, or is it just the auction thing?

If it's just those two, keep the voices on then. Those two aren't great, though Naoya doesn't really get to shine much til like day 6 I think. Yes, you'll get to fuse demons, I don't think you get that option until day 2 though.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
do you think we will ever get the 90s codpiece and circuitry ascetic?

smt iv was a step in the right direction

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Wow the designs in smt ii are really good.

The game can't be that bad can it?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
smt 2 is really good. it just has the misfortune of being buggy when you use the english translation version, but if you can overlook it the game is a really solid first person jrpg.

the translator posted in the vg thread saying he wasn't sure what caused the english one to have bugs but the other translations don't have that problem i guess?

this comes with the caveat that it is a snes first person dungeon rpg so it includes lots of back tracking, but its mostly manageable. if you have difficulty the game is pretty good to play because panic bullets + gun = you win! except for the final boss (a lesson i learned the hard way) so it isn't really well balanced and its hard NOT to exploit the gun being strong

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Golden Goat posted:

Wow the designs in smt ii are really good.

The game can't be that bad can it?

Depends what you mean by "bad". It was released a little over 20 years ago and probably would have felt a little dated even at the time. If you don't mind doing a lot of dungeon crawling and some grinding here and there, give it a try.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

SMT 2 is a game that is incredibly tedious and boring to play

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

gently caress it, i'll set it up later while AGDQ's on. Any particular version I should be playing?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
english translation patch only works for 1.1 or 1.2 i think?

i forgot. i know if the two mismatch you'll get a lock up on the title screen so you'll know you're doing it right if it doesn't crash. i recommend having a walkthrough handy especially during the first part of the game. the latter half also, but the middle is pretty clear about where you need to go and what you need to do.

e: there is only one version available my mistake, was thinking of smt 1. also i guess aeon genesis did a translation? i thought it was just one guy but you're probably safe with the aeon genesis translation, odds are that is what i played and some guy was just taking credit for it

hubris.height fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 9, 2015

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Freak Futanari posted:

Does anyone remember speculation how Naoto was Minato's long lost relative due to similar hair style and color? Or was it just me :v:

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
SMT2 is great and Hawk is the best SMT hero.

laplace fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 9, 2015

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
spoiler that poo poo

his name is hawk :colbert:

speaking of which, if you accept the default names you get points towards the law alignment which i think is awesome

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Oops, I forgot about that.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Before I start and go down a build I shouldn't. What should I be aiming for in stats? Physical or Magical?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I forgot Aleph had a power glove.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

The main character can't use Magic so don't go magic.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

laplace posted:

The main character can't use Magic so don't go magic.

later in the game you'll have points to blow and i think putting 10 points in mag and 11 points in int is encouraged

the int is for a quest later in and the mag is for armor iirc

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Excellent! I never use magic builds in the other games anyway.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
doesn't int influence your recruitment success rate, or was that only in smt1?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Inflammatory posted:

doesn't int influence your recruitment success rate, or was that only in smt1?

Yeah, it's supposed to affect demon negotiation but in my experience it'll still be frustratingly random no matter what. 15 points is probably about the limit of what it makes sense to invest in Int.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Alder posted:

Does anyone remember speculation how Naoto was Minato's long lost relative due to similar hair style and color? Or was it just me :v:

I thought the rumor was that Naoto was related to Raidou in the first draft

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
also they've released a few details on the durarara cameos in record breaker, although there's still no word on whether they'll be in the western release: http://www.siliconera.com/2015/01/09/devil-survivor-2-record-breakers-durarara-characters-powerful-abilities

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
When does Persona Q let me use Nanako

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

alcharagia posted:

Her announcer pack is DLC, you can swap to it after the P3 and the P4 teams meet.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

alcharagia posted:

Better cough up some cash.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Strange Quark posted:

Better cough up some cash.

No I meant I already did so

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

Her announcer pack is DLC, you can swap to it after the P3 and the P4 teams meet.

this is the answer I was looking for, thank you

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
does she call you 'big bro'

cdyoung posted:

If the P4 hero is the main hero, I believe she does.

well im sold

Excels fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 9, 2015

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Excels posted:

does she call you 'big bro'

If the P4 hero is the main hero, I believe she does.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Speaking of Q, the FOE design here makes no sense whatsoever. The first FOE was actually a threat when you ran into it since it had no weaknesses, massively high Attack and Defence and could hit an entire row whenever it felt like it. The second FOE was the same drat thing but with more health and worse skills (oh no, it might - might - try and put Agility Bind on everyone and then do nothing with that!). The third FOE had at least two weaknesses, fell asleep every single time I cast Dormina (without Impure Touch at that) and the one time it did get to hit me it just used Mazio which ended up dealing about 40 damage tops. To someone weak to the bloody thing.

:psyduck:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The first FOEs were just huge blobs of health. I'd say the second labyrinth FOEs were the best to fight and the worst were the fourth labyrinth ones because they were all way more likely to dodge everything.

The funniest FOE is the one in the third labyrinth that isn't immune to light. :v:

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Dragonatrix posted:

Speaking of Q, the FOE design here makes no sense whatsoever. The first FOE was actually a threat when you ran into it since it had no weaknesses, massively high Attack and Defence and could hit an entire row whenever it felt like it. The second FOE was the same drat thing but with more health and worse skills (oh no, it might - might - try and put Agility Bind on everyone and then do nothing with that!). The third FOE had at least two weaknesses, fell asleep every single time I cast Dormina (without Impure Touch at that) and the one time it did get to hit me it just used Mazio which ended up dealing about 40 damage tops. To someone weak to the bloody thing.

:psyduck:

What difficulty are you playing on? My personal experience is that on hard Mode, FOEs you do not overlevel by a fair amount may be beatable, but only with a bit of luck to get bind and poo poo working (and not wearing of right away!) but only at the expense of your inventory and and killing you team a couple of times each, ie not worth it.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
On Risky, and I haven't had trouble with an FOE since accidentally walking into one at level, uh, 2. :v:

The Heal Stone completely runs inventory management out of the equation, Fuuka's Healing Wave makes it so you can just spam HP costing skills with reckless abandon and being able to get the Recarm card well, well before you'd actually have the spell just makes death a complete non-issue. It might be relatively expensive at the time but with Boost making it cost 0MP that doesn't even remotely matter.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Dragonatrix posted:

The Heal Stone completely runs inventory management out of the equation

I thought you could only use the Heal Stone in battle?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
FOEs in the fourth dungeon are kind of a pain if you're not abusing Panic. Have fun with the Festival Dudes without using their gimmick. :v:

I've stalled with my second playthrough because I'm dreading going back into ESC. Worst dungeon of the lot in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Alabaster White posted:

I thought you could only use the Heal Stone in battle?

this is correct

if you are playing on normal though this is hardly an issue. on hard i still had to have medicines to heal through poo poo