Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Baron von Eevl posted:

That's the one Herzog is involved with, isn't it? Like, the someone else shot the footage but he edited it and did a voiceover?

Yep, and it's really good.

edit: Happy People: A Year In The Taiga that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Seconding Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood as a good anime. It's easily my favorite one, though I haven't watched many. If you were only going to watch one, I'd say that should be the one.

Netflix still doesn't have the last 15 episodes or so.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

A MIRACLE posted:

It's funny when they all get drunk together, and when vash tries to hit on women
I love the big chick with the chainguns when she gets drunk, this is true.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 8, 2015

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

david_a posted:

Anthony Bourdain chat: Is there any difference between No Reservations and Parts Unknown?
If you saw my post above about Andrew Zimmern, the switch between No Reservations and Parts Unknown is something pretty strongly along those same lines of "the studio execs liked having the star acting, while the star wants to be active instead of just selling commercial space by filling a role. Parts Unknown is a lot more subdued than most No Reservations episodes (although the later ones were already leaning in the PU direction anyway imho, I remember a kind-of early episode where he was in the Amazon or something and got a tattoo by a tribal tattoo artist, and he really reigned back the "get drunk and let's go crash ATVs on the beach!" which so much of his "hook" originally involved due to his books and stuff) and comes across more as a travel/cultural show, instead of a travel/food show with a bad-boy star.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jan 8, 2015

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I just finished Legends of the Knight, a documentary about people who are really into Batman. It's generally way too serious for its subject matter, probably because adult men who are obsessed with Batman have absolutely no sense of irony. They talk to the producer of the 1989 Burton Batman film, and he is the most humorless, self-important turd I've ever seen. But I will recommend it because it explains the full story behind that youtube of Batman driving on the freeway with his lambo, which makes me giggle like a maniac whenever I see it:

http://youtu.be/DwO_NgsT0HM

Sadly, they do not include Michigan Batman (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/petoskey-batman-busted-police-michigan-article-1.1173713), but talk to another local Batman probably less dangerously insane.

MrXmas
Apr 10, 2006

Let's Get Sweaty

Batman's a tailgater.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

coyo7e posted:

If you saw my post above about Andrew Zimmern, the switch between No Reservations and Parts Unknown is something pretty strongly along those same lines of "the studio execs liked having the star acting, while the star wants to be active instead of just selling commercial space by filling a role. Parts Unknown is a lot more subdued than most No Reservations episodes (although the later ones were already leaning in the PU direction anyway imho, I remember a kind-of early episode where he was in the Amazon or something and got a tattoo by a tribal tattoo artist, and he really reigned back the "get drunk and let's go crash ATVs on the beach!" which so much of his "hook" originally involved due to his books and stuff) and comes across more as a travel/cultural show, instead of a travel/food show with a bad-boy star.

I really like that even when Bourdain hammed it up for the camera it was usually to make himself the butt of the joke instead of his hosts and straight up blasted people on the show when they tried to make fun of the strange foid people eat to survive.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Trigun movie wasn't anything special to me, but it's been like 12 years since I watched the series.

Which reminds me, I saw the Cowboy Bebop movie in the theater back then. It's like they already tried this "anime" thing and it was way too early.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

precision posted:

The Trigun movie wasn't anything special to me, but it's been like 12 years since I watched the series.

Which reminds me, I saw the Cowboy Bebop movie in the theater back then. It's like they already tried this "anime" thing and it was way too early.

Anime will always stay on the fringe.

Ghost in the Shell is probably the next biggest thing to Akira and it's basically what inspired The Matrix. I know exactly what you're getting at but it's always been sort of like this. The japanese don't help, being like one of the weirdest countries in the world.

I remember that sort of weird trend towards the turn of the century, the west looking east. Brought to you by the nerd/goth culture. It's still doing the same thing, true to form, evolving at the same rate as any other facet of media cultures.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 9, 2015

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Is there any Ghost in the Shell stuff worth watching beyond the 1995 movie? Also, thoughts on the 2.0 version?

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

A MIRACLE posted:

Is there any Ghost in the Shell stuff worth watching beyond the 1995 movie? Also, thoughts on the 2.0 version?

The anime is quality as far as most people are concerned. Not to mention but it's getting a sort of reboot/3rd season.

The 2.0 version didn't gently caress with the feeling at all if I recall correctly.

The problem with the anime is the problem that all anime has. It just needs some sort of comic relief to be anime and some would consider the bug bots to be a giant problem.

There is a second movie, although I have not seen it. I'm pretty sure people think it's good.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 9, 2015

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
Due a bizarre decision to avoid a Blockbuster late fee many years ago I actually own the second ghost in the shell movie. It's nowhere near as good as the first one.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

A MIRACLE posted:

The new ARISE movies are pretty fun. The second was kinda lame but the rest are good (not all of them are on Netflix yet). The second has kick-rear end action scenes at least.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A MIRACLE posted:

I actually prefer the anime but it's a very different tone so YMMV

Darf
Jun 6, 2011

You have quite a treasure there...
Jesus Christ, "The Double"

What the hell was that, I liked it, but couldn't tell you why.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Darf posted:

I like Jesse Eisenberg in everything I've seen him in. Adventureland is great. Why Stop Now was goofy and dumb but pretty fun. Was that Tracy Morgan's last thing?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

based on a true storythe Ouijia experiment is as far as I can tell about 5 friends with zero chemistry use a Ouijia board for no reason and tape it. It was so bad my tv mysteriously turned itself off in the the first 15 minutes. AVOID THE NOID!

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

GonSmithe posted:

Take all the best parts of No Reservations and remove the forced "Travel TV Approved" bits, and add an extra dose of politics; that's Parts Unknown.

They're not even in the same ballpark, and I loved No Reservations. Watch the episode on Japan if you need convincing.

Thanks for recommending Parts Unknown. I just sat through 3 episodes even tho I usually don't go for travel or food shows.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

A MIRACLE posted:

I like Jesse Eisenberg in everything I've seen him in. Adventureland is great. Why Stop Now was goofy and dumb but pretty fun. Was that Tracy Morgan's last thing?

He's in Top Five.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
He's also going to be in that David O. Russell abandoned project that's finally being released, though that was filmed years ago.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Fishstick posted:

Thanks for recommending Parts Unknown. I just sat through 3 episodes even tho I usually don't go for travel or food shows.

Cutthroat kitchen is your next stop, tons of non-food people love that show.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Cutthroat Kitchen is probably one of the most perfect game shows ever devised, I just wish they didn't do the typical "reality television" stuff with it. It's still great though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Darf posted:

Now watch The Trial (1962, dir. Orson Welles, starring Anthony Perkins).

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Cutthroat Kitchen is probably one of the most perfect game shows ever devised, I just wish they didn't do the typical "reality television" stuff with it. It's still great though.

This. All I want to see is the cooking and the auctions.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

GonSmithe posted:

Take all the best parts of No Reservations and remove the forced "Travel TV Approved" bits, and add an extra dose of politics; that's Parts Unknown.

They're not even in the same ballpark, and I loved No Reservations. Watch the episode on Japan if you need convincing.

Copenhagen was a highlight for me, there was something magical about the subject, fantastic Michel Gondry-ish fever-dream editing and some hypnotic music. It has an artistic touch I wasn't expecting in a food travel show.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 9, 2015

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The thing that is so off putting about most food contests is how overly serious/catty they are and the judges are always arrogant turds. Cutthroat Kitchen just seems like people having a good time, and the premise as well as Alton Brown are actually pretty funny. Even if it is edited to be more dramatic than it actually is sometimes. Even when people are insulting each other you can tell they are just loving around 90% of the time.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I really can't think of anything more satisfying in a game show than those moments in Cutthroat Kitchen when someone gets completely screwed over by the auction and is hit with all of the items but still manages to beat out the other three contestants. Its always really satisfying to watch.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Copenhagen was a highlight for me, there was something magical about the subject, fantastic Michel Gondry-ish fever-dream editing and some hypnotic music. It has an artistic touch I wasn't expecting in a food travel show.

I agree. Bourdain has said that he's a huge film buff and tries to make each episode an homage to a different film or director.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

precision posted:

Now watch The Trial (1962, dir. Orson Welles, starring Anthony Perkins).

This

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

mr.capps posted:

I really can't think of anything more satisfying in a game show than those moments in Cutthroat Kitchen when someone gets completely screwed over by the auction and is hit with all of the items but still manages to beat out the other three contestants. Its always really satisfying to watch.

Yes, it's one of the things that make it great. Chefs performing miracles with stale bread, a tinfoil bowl, and an egg.

I wish that:

Chefs could buy one ingredient for half their remaining money after bidding, there have been rounds where contenstants left something critical in the pantry and there's no way for them to recover. Good/cool contestants make one easy dumb mistake and get eliminated, basically.

No auto-fail stuff, maybe they get better at this later. The one I'm thinking of in particular, where they replaced real potatoes with nothing but potato skins, was so punishing that it basically guaranteed failure.

Dumbass chefs who start the bidding at 4k and spend like 16k in the first round should have their personal email addresses published so I can berate them. Unless it's DJ Chef, who can stay mad at that guy?

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
If you enjoy watching Cutthroat Kitchen go over to Food Network's YouTube channel and check out the CK playlist. After each show Alton interviews the judge and shows them the sabotages. They also show the staff cooks testing some of the sabotages to make sure they are possible (as well as some of the sabotages that don't get approved).

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

ChetReckless posted:

If you enjoy watching Cutthroat Kitchen go over to Food Network's YouTube channel and check out the CK playlist. After each show Alton interviews the judge and shows them the sabotages. They also show the staff cooks testing some of the sabotages to make sure they are possible (as well as some of the sabotages that don't get approved).

I will, thank you!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Honestly, Chopped is far, far worse about this. If you want to win Chopped, make sure to mention your dead mom / dad / wife / brother / sister / child / dog / tarantula and come to the brink of tears at every opportunity and you're golden.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

I think I'm just too old for anime now. The only one I really enjoyed recently was Revolutionary Girl Utena and that was made ages ago. Only thing on Netflix like it is Madoka, but even then it's a shallow comparison.

On the topic of cooking shows are any of the Ramsey shows on Netflix worth watching? Heard good things about his British stuff and mixed things about his American stuff.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Akarshi posted:

I think I'm just too old for anime now. The only one I really enjoyed recently was Revolutionary Girl Utena and that was made ages ago. Only thing on Netflix like it is Madoka, but even then it's a shallow comparison.

On the topic of cooking shows are any of the Ramsey shows on Netflix worth watching? Heard good things about his British stuff and mixed things about his American stuff.
The British version of nightmares is more like the real Gordon Ramsay. He's still a prick but nowhere near as much as he is in the us version.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I'm really glad people mentioned Cutthroat Kitchen in here. The way they edit every person down into a comedy bit is amazing

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
One of the little things about Cutthroat that I love is the stills that they use for each competitor picture are as goofy as they can find.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

morestuff posted:

I'm really glad people mentioned Cutthroat Kitchen in here. The way they edit every person down into a comedy bit is amazing

My favorite one of these is the guy who came in wearing moccasins so every edit involving that chef was the other competitors making fun of his footwear.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

The British version of nightmares is more like the real Gordon Ramsay. He's still a prick but nowhere near as much as he is in the us version.

British Kitchen Nightmares has the bonus of Gordon narrating the show, which he has a fantastic voice for.
Yes, he still curses a lot, and is a dick, but in his British shows it's much more constructed criticism than his American character. The episode with the Jamaican (I think?) restaurant in UK Kitchen Nightmares really shows this off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The British version of Kitchen Nightmares is better but also much more sad because he's always going to these depressing little pubs whose owners are sad broke people. It's easier to be a dick to people who opened a bakery with mob money and talk to cats.

Also I'm now hooked on Cutthroat Kitchen. Really fun show.

• Locked thread