Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Wittgen posted:

Me too. But since slitting your throat is really hard and Moonshadow kills with a knife, it kind of makes sense if she did it.

If she did do it, I wonder why. Were there other victims, or did she just want to hijack the viral video of Alison to more effectively spread her message about rapists being murdered horribly.

I think Mary wants to see if Alison paid enough attention to her to figure out that she's the killer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I think it's possible that the serial murderer is not acting on particularly rational motives.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Glazius posted:

Is this Moonshadow? I don't know if she's operating under her 'has to be asked" protocol or if a news broadcast is enough asking for her these days.

Either way, RIP Miles.

I'm thinking the "has to be asked" protocol may be a mistaken assumption. Maybe she just wanted to judge in person whether the girl was telling the truth, since it appeared that the case was basically a "she said/they said" scenario with no hard evidence. There was evidently evidence of the soldiers' misdeeds that Moonshadow's sources were able to dig up, and if she's really behind the Miles' murder, it could suggest that she trusts Allison's judgment enough to act after seeing Allison voice her suspicion of the daterape-in-progress on youtube (though it might also just have caused her to research him more indepth, leading to other evidence that she acted on).

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hell, Moonshadow might just want to see Allison take some heat and feel the burn. And she also gets to kill a guy, which is well-established as something she's big on.

Remember, there's bad blood between them even if Allison only recently heard about it.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Slashrat posted:

I'm thinking the "has to be asked" protocol may be a mistaken assumption. Maybe she just wanted to judge in person whether the girl was telling the truth, since it appeared that the case was basically a "she said/they said" scenario with no hard evidence. There was evidently evidence of the soldiers' misdeeds that Moonshadow's sources were able to dig up, and if she's really behind the Miles' murder, it could suggest that she trusts Allison's judgment enough to act after seeing Allison voice her suspicion of the daterape-in-progress on youtube (though it might also just have caused her to research him more indepth, leading to other evidence that she acted on).

I don't think she ever had to be asked, she was just trying to give the other girl some therapy. She enjoys killing enough to drop the theatrics when it suits her.

Or the writer(s) realized how awkward it would be to have her have to track down her victims' victims all the time, and are just hoping that aspect fades away.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I don't think Moonshadow had to be asked. She just had to be sure that the people were "guilty".

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Anyone else wondering if this is Moonshadow baiting Alison in? She could easily be hiding in the room with her ludicrously sharp knife.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Slashrat posted:

Each case we've seen up to this point have been cases where the guilty party was not successfully convicted for their crimes. The gas station boys and Soldiers were all attached to televised cases seen throughout the chapter and given how the author hasn't provided any ambiguity it's pretty much guaranteed that they were all guilty. We still don't know if Daphne asked Moonshadow to kill this guy but it wouldn't be too far of a stretch to believe that Moonshadow has gotten so full of herself that she has completely dropped the "has to be asked" condition and is just killing people now if they meet her criteria. After the barn and the overblown theatrics used there she looks like she has pretty much gotten drunk with power.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

Anyone else wondering if this is Moonshadow baiting Alison in? She could easily be hiding in the room with her ludicrously sharp knife.

Unless the ludicrously sharp knife is made of Cleaver's cancer, I think Alison is safe. On the other hand, this is pretty much the textbook definition of bad press.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
We never saw Private Bernal ask her to kill the soldiers, so it may not actually be a requirement. (Or it may just be that it happened off-screen.)

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
She didn't say she needed Kaylee to ask her to kill them. Moonshadow actually ignored her when she told her to kill them. She said she needed to hear their names in her voice, and that it had to be the truth. It's the truth she seems to be interested in, perhaps not the specific action of having the victim ask her personally to do it (although we may yet find that that happened in the other cases too).

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Is there really a difference between explicitly asking for someone to be killed and just giving their name in this situation? Because that would mean that killing was not the only option for Moonshadow to pursue and that hasn't been the case the entire chapter.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Just asking, but have we seen any evidence of moonshadow's knife being anything other than... a normal knife? Like, an ornate one, ok. But everyone keeps saying it's "super sharp", and I don't think I remember any scenes of her hacking apart steel beams or stabbing through bulletproof glass with it or anything. She just slits people's throats, or stabs them.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Asking/Pact/Contract is clearly not a requirement, if it ever was.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Brought To You By posted:

Is there really a difference between explicitly asking for someone to be killed and just giving their name in this situation? Because that would mean that killing was not the only option for Moonshadow to pursue and that hasn't been the case the entire chapter.

There's not a difference in terms of the ultimate effect, but there is in terms of literally what's required for her to act, which would mean that she might be totally happy murdering Miles in his dorm room if she was satisfied she already had the truth of the situation. I wonder if this fixation on the truth is because she feels lied to or (which I consider more likely), because nobody believed her at one point when she tried to tell the truth?

Captain Bravo posted:

Just asking, but have we seen any evidence of moonshadow's knife being anything other than... a normal knife? Like, an ornate one, ok. But everyone keeps saying it's "super sharp", and I don't think I remember any scenes of her hacking apart steel beams or stabbing through bulletproof glass with it or anything. She just slits people's throats, or stabs them.

It seems to be a extremely efficient at cutting through human flesh and it's obviously a little abnormal. (Some folks had pointed out that it looks like a ceramic knife, although it might be made of more unusual materials.) That's all, though. I'd be pretty surprised if it could actually cut Alison. I don't think the threat from Moonshadow against her is physical.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Jackard posted:

Asking/Pact/Contract is clearly not a requirement, if it ever was.

Well... I wonder what the odds are of drunk girl putting the hit on Miles? Her roommates did say she makes bad decisions...

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Dude that's really farfetched given everything we've seen

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

idonotlikepeas posted:

There's not a difference in terms of the ultimate effect, but there is in terms of literally what's required for her to act, which would mean that she might be totally happy murdering Miles in his dorm room if she was satisfied she already had the truth of the situation. I wonder if this fixation on the truth is because she feels lied to or (which I consider more likely), because nobody believed her at one point when she tried to tell the truth?

It seems to be a extremely efficient at cutting through human flesh and it's obviously a little abnormal. (Some folks had pointed out that it looks like a ceramic knife, although it might be made of more unusual materials.) That's all, though. I'd be pretty surprised if it could actually cut Alison. I don't think the threat from Moonshadow against her is physical.

If Moonshadow is nursing a grudge (as opposed to being more frustrated with--ahahahaha, of course she's nursing a grudge, she's a goddamn slasher), smart play is to start trying to pin murders on Alison. The media drinks it up like minors at a kegger, and she's got the perfect decoy. Alison Green, Mega Girl and known violent leftist, takes to vigilantism. It's not-Fox News' wet dream.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Captain Bravo posted:

Well... I wonder what the odds are of drunk girl putting the hit on Miles? Her roommates did say she makes bad decisions...
There's going to parties and there's premeditated murder. These things are a little different.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Warmachine posted:

Unless the ludicrously sharp knife is made of Cleaver's cancer, I think Alison is safe. On the other hand, this is pretty much the textbook definition of bad press.

There've been quite a few people hypothesising that it is, but with little evidence other than 'well, it seems REALLY sharp and it's not metal coloured'.

Seems unlikely that pinning it on Alison would really work. If nothing else, throat-slitting isn't really her style...

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Warmachine posted:

If Moonshadow is nursing a grudge (as opposed to being more frustrated with--ahahahaha, of course she's nursing a grudge, she's a goddamn slasher), smart play is to start trying to pin murders on Alison. The media drinks it up like minors at a kegger, and she's got the perfect decoy. Alison Green, Mega Girl and known violent leftist, takes to vigilantism. It's not-Fox News' wet dream.
Media believes the slasher is either invisible or psychokinetic, the best they can spin Alison is as an accomplice.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Jackard posted:

Media believes the slasher is either invisible or psychokinetic, the best they can spin Alison is as an accomplice.

Those beliefs can change quick if new evidence (or "evidence" as the case is) leads to a known person rather than a blank mystery.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Hell, Moonshadow might just want to see Allison take some heat and feel the burn. And she also gets to kill a guy, which is well-established as something she's big on.

Remember, there's bad blood between them even if Allison only recently heard about it.
Why did Moonshadow hate her? I can't remember.

e: Was it because Mega Girl was too strong and Moonshadow kept getting shot and stabbed?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Pretty much, Mega-Girl was the team's heavy hitter and when she quit the Guardians Moonshadow was left holding the bag (Pintsize and Brad can't fight for poo poo). Moonshadow really resents having to work 10 times as hard to get a fraction of the result and no recognition.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

thatbastardken posted:

Pretty much, Mega-Girl was the team's heavy hitter and when she quit the Guardians Moonshadow was left holding the bag (Pintsize and Brad can't fight for poo poo). Moonshadow really resents having to work 10 times as hard to get a fraction of the result and no recognition.

Plus they became a kind of government wetworks/super-SWAT group after that, doing some really unpleasant and often grotesque work that was pretty far from the glory days of slapping around costumed villains and dismantling giant robots.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Jackard posted:

"I'm not sure you need any more bad press!"

If the media start speculating that the invisible slasher might be Allison's former teammate...

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

"I'm not sure you need any more bad press!"

If the media start speculating that the invisible slasher might be Allison's former teammate...

I don't think that'll happen right away, based off the military dude's reactions to Moonshadow. One of them was who worried they might have been dealing with the serial slasher was instantly mollified when he realized it was Moonshadow. If it weren't for what followed, it might not have even occured to them to connect the dots. If there was even the faintest rumor that Moonshadow had something to do with this, I don't think the reaction on seeing her in that situation would have been complete relief, especially with people who were apparently familiar with supers. I'm guessing going along with the system, at least as far as the public is concerned, probably makes Moonshadow a more respected figure than "renegades" like Allison who are getting in public fights and so on.

They'll likely find some other way to implicate Allison in this. Maybe they'll say her behavior is opening the door for other supers to commit violent crime or something like that. That seems to be the media's angle before this even happened anyways.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
Pretty sure that a certain someone with a weirdo name (who happens to be Alison's only alibi) is going to die next :cawg:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
I suppose even if Allison hasn't fought someone invisible before, it had to be covered in what ever training she got. Man, think of all the weird scenarios they had to cover to deal with potential powers.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
50 gallon drum filled with paint hooked up to some scuba tanks and spray nozzles. Strap the whole thing to her back. Sorted :colbert:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Gorilla Salad posted:

50 gallon drum filled with paint hooked up to some scuba tanks and spray nozzles. Strap the whole thing to her back. Sorted :colbert:

So, basically this?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I suppose even if Allison hasn't fought someone invisible before, it had to be covered in what ever training she got. Man, think of all the weird scenarios they had to cover to deal with potential powers.

"Never let a teleporter get the lay of the land!"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

thrawn527 posted:

So, basically this?

Burn the witch! She can see into our souls!

Also, not being a filthy hippy, I really have no idea what "fair trade" means. I know what it is when governments do it, but not when ironic hipsters riding fixies do it.

Is it just non-sweatshop products?

EDIT: I am a

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 13, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gorilla Salad posted:

Also, not being a filthy hippy, I really have no idea what "fair trade" means. I know what it is when governments do it, but not when ironic hipsters riding fixies do it.

Fair trade certifications basically mean, in theory, that a decent proportion of the profit from the purchase of a product makes it back to the original worker/producer/farmer rather than being entirely eaten by intermediary corporations.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
At the very least production is somewhat less likely to involve literal slaves.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Well that's one way to check the room for invisible murderers. Nice bit of improvisation there, Alison.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Wyld Karde posted:

Well that's one way to check the room for invisible murderers. Nice bit of improvisation there, Alison.

Only works if the power is limited to superpowered person only, and does not extend to what they wear... And it doesn't seem like the knife was visible. So really it's just a way to make plaster dust turn invisible.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Cat Mattress posted:

Only works if the power is limited to superpowered person only, and does not extend to what they wear... And it doesn't seem like the knife was visible. So really it's just a way to make plaster dust turn invisible.

It would still show a roughly person-shaped negative silhouette in the dust cloud where it's vanishing into the invisibility effect. At the very least it would confirm that some sort of cloaking effect was in play and a person so empowered was still present.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

Not really, unless that invisibility comes paired with intangibility ex. if Mary was ghosting instead of stealthing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

"Make up fake details about your life to spot mind-readers."

Seriously though I'd like to see more of that, even if it's only in flashbacks.

• Locked thread