Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
Thanks guys! Yeah, if you're looking for disco house, that's pretty much all I do.

I'd love to DJ more disco but kinda made this mix as a feeler since it's definitely a niche - it'd be great to land a disco club night, but I don't think anyone actually does them anymore :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

dj bobby bieber posted:

Thanks guys! Yeah, if you're looking for disco house, that's pretty much all I do.

I'd love to DJ more disco but kinda made this mix as a feeler since it's definitely a niche - it'd be great to land a disco club night, but I don't think anyone actually does them anymore :(

The closest you'd probably get is an 80s night or something.

This Todd Terje live set inspired me to start working on slipping some straight up disco tracks into my sets. Should be an interesting experiment.

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
dude, there is tons of disco in SF right now. That being said the promoters and DJs are mostly OG. Would be tough to get booked especially not playing vinyl.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Dopo posted:

dude, there is tons of disco in SF right now. That being said the promoters and DJs are mostly OG. Would be tough to get booked especially not playing vinyl.

The majority of my vinyl is disco, but I'd really rather not deal with that overhead. It'd be fun, but that's a lot of work.

liquorlanche
Sep 10, 2014
How can I get the harmonic key to each song to show up in Serato? Isn't it supposed to detect the key when you analyze files?

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

liquorlanche posted:

How can I get the harmonic key to each song to show up in Serato? Isn't it supposed to detect the key when you analyze files?

Serato doesn't do key detection. You'll need third party software like Mixed In Key or Key Finder to write the key.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Mixed in Key 7's getting an update tomorrow which adds auto cue points for Serato and Traktor. Free if you have MiK 6.

Could be a decent time-saver if it works well. I mostly set cue-points in places that I imagine the software could easily detect and set anyways.

e: looks like it may be out today actually?

e2: yeah it's out, if you go to your original download email and click the link it'll give you MiK 7.

Dubstep Jesus fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 13, 2015

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
I don't know how I feel about that. On one hand, it's cool that it can do it but on the other, setting cue points makes me get familiar with the songs I play out.

edit: I always lol when I see the MIK "energy" level of a track.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I'm trying out Serato DJ and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to hear a song just in my headphones. I'm very much, um, self-taught, so I don't know if I'm necessarily using the right terminology but basically while track A is playing I want to be able to hear track B in my headphones without hearing it on the 'main' sound. I was under the impression this was called 'cue.' I've selected Cue on my controller (the one that says Cue to the left of the plate, not the button that says cue directly underneath it, the cue underneath the platter just takes me to the beginning of the song, why are there two different buttons labeled cue) and cranked up the Cue Gain as well as fiddled with Cue Mix. track B is either silent in both the headphones and speakers (when I turn the gain all the way down or slide the crossfader all the way to the other side) or present in both the headphones and speakers.

I'm using a Numark Mixtrack Pro 2. The Numark has red and white cables going to the Aux port on my speaker setup and is plugged into my computer. My headphones are in the jack that fits, I'm not using the port with an adapter.
I know I'm speaking like a five year old here. I'm just not entirely sure what I'm doing.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Sharzak posted:

I'm trying out Serato DJ and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to hear a song just in my headphones. I'm very much, um, self-taught, so I don't know if I'm necessarily using the right terminology but basically while track A is playing I want to be able to hear track B in my headphones without hearing it on the 'main' sound. I was under the impression this was called 'cue.' I've selected Cue on my controller (the one that says Cue to the left of the plate, not the button that says cue directly underneath it, the cue underneath the platter just takes me to the beginning of the song, why are there two different buttons labeled cue) and cranked up the Cue Gain as well as fiddled with Cue Mix. track B is either silent in both the headphones and speakers (when I turn the gain all the way down or slide the crossfader all the way to the other side) or present in both the headphones and speakers.

I'm using a Numark Mixtrack Pro 2. The Numark has red and white cables going to the Aux port on my speaker setup and is plugged into my computer. My headphones are in the jack that fits, I'm not using the port with an adapter.
I know I'm speaking like a five year old here. I'm just not entirely sure what I'm doing.

You need to hold down that cue button under the jog wheels to cue. Also, make sure the EQ knobs aren't all at 0 or you won't hear anything, the volume fader should be all the way down though or you'll hear it in the master.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

TheWevel posted:

I don't know how I feel about that. On one hand, it's cool that it can do it but on the other, setting cue points makes me get familiar with the songs I play out.

edit: I always lol when I see the MIK "energy" level of a track.

the cue points are done by "energy" lol

I really just need rekordbuddy 3 to come out with Serato support so I can manage all my poo poo in rekordbox.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Yeah I don't really care for Traktor cue points. I just want an easy way to have Serato cue points show up on Pioneer gear and for Pioneer gear to read cue points off of the ID3 tags.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

keevo posted:

Yeah I don't really care for Traktor cue points. I just want an easy way to have Serato cue points show up on Pioneer gear and for Pioneer gear to read cue points off of the ID3 tags.

Supposedly Rekordbuddy 3 is coming this year and will do that. It's gonna make everything so much easier if it works well.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
I've been out of practice but decided to finally start pumping out mixes. Not happy with my mix but I think my song picks were pretty good. Here's a short nu disco mix.

http://www.mixcloud.com/christianfiction/nu-disco-something-something-dance/

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
I think there are more nu-disco DJs in this thread than there are fans of the genre in my city :negative:

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

slogsdon posted:

I think there are more nu-disco DJs in this thread than there are fans of the genre in my city :negative:

Which is quite bizarre isn't it? I think this is true for most places, even here in SF. I'm surprised it's not more popular...

Also, to you guys posting mixes... we have a thread for that :v:

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

mitztronic posted:

Which is quite bizarre isn't it? I think this is true for most places, even here in SF. I'm surprised it's not more popular...

Also, to you guys posting mixes... we have a thread for that :v:

One of my DJ buddies who moved here from Chicago said he used to DJ huge nu-disco parties there every week, so I guess there are fans up North.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Nice red title mitztronic

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

vanilla slimfast posted:

Nice red title mitztronic

Hahaha. Not the first time and probably not the last. It's always better when they at least put a little but of effort into it.

It is creepy that I have a stalker whose been collecting photos of me, though. goons.txt

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jan 17, 2015

Saucy Slit
Jul 27, 2011

slogsdon posted:

I feels your pain. I'm in a state where most prefer dubstep.

CortezFantastic posted:

I've been out of practice but decided to finally start pumping out mixes. Not happy with my mix but I think my song picks were pretty good. Here's a short nu disco mix.

http://www.mixcloud.com/christianfiction/nu-disco-something-something-dance/

Love me some NuDisco and Filter House.
https://soundcloud.com/sean-boogaloo

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.

from http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/15/senior-photo-series-stereotype-aging_n_6478726.html

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
I've seen her instructional videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTyIXy73-yo

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Wait why are those two JBL monitors pointing directly at her

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

bad day posted:

Wait why are those two JBL monitors pointing directly at her

Answered your own question there.

Though at such close range I bet the sound pattern on those is loving bollocks as they're not nearfield monitors in any respect.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 19, 2015

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
And Pioneer have finally announced a laptopless controller.

http://pioneerdj.com/english/products/djsystem/xdj-rx.html

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

slogsdon posted:

And Pioneer have finally announced a laptopless controller.

http://pioneerdj.com/english/products/djsystem/xdj-rx.html

if that had more than 2 decks I'd be buying it in a heartbeat.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Old Man Pants posted:

if that had more than 2 decks I'd be buying it in a heartbeat.

I'm sure the RZ will come eventually with four decks.

If I had more cash I'd probably get one, I'm easily distracted by the poo poo on my laptop.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

slogsdon posted:

If I had more cash I'd probably get one, I'm easily distracted by the poo poo on my laptop.

Turn off your drat wifi when you're playing out.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

88h88 posted:

Answered your own question there.

Though at such close range I bet the sound pattern on those is loving bollocks as they're not nearfield monitors in any respect.

See I learned how to DJ with turntables and that setup would just cause a poo poo ton of feedback.

Personally I can't stand it when monitors are loud - I can't hear what's going on my headphones.

I usually turn them down as much as possible. Maybe it's out of habit, though - I learned to never put speakers behind the decks at all, as a general rule. Especially if you use a mic at all.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Dessert Rose posted:

Turn off your drat wifi when you're playing out.

Obviously not when I'm playing out you butthole. I have different reasons for not liking using my laptop at gigs.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

slogsdon posted:

Problem being that this thing while looking significantly nicer, doesn't really do a whole lot more than the piece stanton released in 2011. Yeah it has more efx, but certainly not $1500 worth as you can pick up the stanton unit for around $200.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I predict that there will be a lot of pictures of DJs squinting at that tiny LCD screen.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Old Man Pants posted:

Problem being that this thing while looking significantly nicer, doesn't really do a whole lot more than the piece stanton released in 2011. Yeah it has more efx, but certainly not $1500 worth as you can pick up the stanton unit for around $200.

Almost wish I had known about this a few months ago. At this point if I'm gonna drop $200 on gear it's gonna be a quality of life enhancement rather than a controller. I'm sure when I'm ready to upgrade the laptopless controller market will be a much more interesting place.

Mister Speaker posted:

I predict that there will be a lot of pictures of DJs squinting at that tiny LCD screen.

Too bad it's not a touch screen like the S8 or the XDJ so we don't also get pictures of them awkwardly pawing at it.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

slogsdon posted:

Almost wish I had known about this a few months ago. At this point if I'm gonna drop $200 on gear it's gonna be a quality of life enhancement rather than a controller. I'm sure when I'm ready to upgrade the laptopless controller market will be a much more interesting place.

I still regularly think about buying one, not dragging thousands of dollars worth of equipment to a bar gig almost seems worth it to me. I'd still keep my big rig for nightclubs, but show up and plug in at a place where you're playing track to track is pretty appealing.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Old Man Pants posted:

I still regularly think about buying one, not dragging thousands of dollars worth of equipment to a bar gig almost seems worth it to me. I'd still keep my big rig for nightclubs, but show up and plug in at a place where you're playing track to track is pretty appealing.

If I got more gigs at more places I'd probably get one for that reason. I need my laptop for school and I get nervous taking it out around drunk/high people . I'm about comfortable enough with my skills to start using CDJs which the venue that I normally get booked at has so it's less of a concern right now. Just wish I had access to some to practice on rather than jumping straight into them live.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

slogsdon posted:

Too bad it's not a touch screen like the S8

S8 isn't a touchscreen.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

bad day posted:

See I learned how to DJ with turntables and that setup would just cause a poo poo ton of feedback.

Personally I can't stand it when monitors are loud - I can't hear what's going on my headphones.

I usually turn them down as much as possible. Maybe it's out of habit, though - I learned to never put speakers behind the decks at all, as a general rule. Especially if you use a mic at all.

You should have a booth volume control on your mixer. I use mine an awful lot, up and down all night long.

Also as a wonderful gently caress you to Pioneer's sheer loving laziness with that new controller, Numark is releasing the NS7 III... 4 channels, loads of pads, 3 screens. Basically all the Pioneer should've been to begin with. Same price as the Pioneer too. It annoys me that Pioneer release iterations of a product, the first one is usually ok but could've been LOADS better with a bit of customer feedback.

I get that you need a laptop with this but being able to stash it wherever is cool. USB to under the desk and just play.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jan 22, 2015

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

88h88 posted:

You should have a booth volume control on your mixer. I use mine an awful lot, up and down all night long.

Also as a wonderful gently caress you to Pioneer's sheer loving laziness with that new controller, Numark is releasing the NS7 III... 4 channels, loads of pads, 3 screens. Basically all the Pioneer should've been to begin with. Same price as the Pioneer too. It annoys me that Pioneer release iterations of a product, the first one is usually ok but could've been LOADS better with a bit of customer feedback.

I get that you need a laptop with this but being able to stash it wherever is cool. USB to under the desk and just play.

Is this fan fiction because as far as I can tell there isn't an NS7 III announcement.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

NAMM 2015 is taking place right now y'know, it's a place and time where they unleash the new poo poo, make announcements about new poo poo...

quote:

The NAMM Show is the world’s largest trade-only event for the music products industry. It is held every January in Anaheim, California, USA at the Anaheim Convention Center, and is one of the two largest music product trade shows in the world.

https://www.namm.org/thenammshow/2015

http://audiosex.pro/index.php?/topic/16523-numark-ns7-iii-4-deck/

https://www.djkit.com/numark/numark-ns7-iii.html

https://www.decks.co.uk/products/dj-controllers/numark/ns7-iii-dj-controller#.VMEKXEesV8E

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jan 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Updates TTM57 and UPDATED MP2015 :stare:

http://www.djtechtools.com/2015/01/22/namm-2015-ranes-ttm57-mkii-mp2015-rotary-mixer/

That rotary mixer is beautiful.