Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Powershift posted:

It's not entirely about line flow, it's largely about money.

ford trucks without cruise control still have the clockspring and wiring in the steering column and programing in the computer for it, all it takes is the buttons. what costs more, the buttons or the wiring? cruise control is packed into a $2000 option package. not having $5 worth of buttons means they have to make and install another steering wheel. It probably costs money to exclude cruise control from low end trucks. but they make it up on the $2,000 package.

Here's another good example, the current gen MFT system in Ford vehicles has everything you need for Navigation already in there hardware wise. Nav is literally a 795 dollar 2GB SD card that you plug into the SD slot in the console.

When we bought our Explorer Sport I actually tried to find one without the 1600 dollar dual panel moonroof but still had the option package installed, but it was impossible. I paid 1600 dollars for something I didn't want, and never use because there really was no other choice. Ok, so I've used it a few times, the kids get a kick out of it at night on road trips being able to see the stars and stuff. Still made me grumpy though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

skipdogg posted:

Here's another good example, the current gen MFT system in Ford vehicles has everything you need for Navigation already in there hardware wise. Nav is literally a 795 dollar 2GB SD card that you plug into the SD slot in the console.

Gotta love stuff like that. Back in the day before cars were so computerized this wasn't true, but now thing like auto up/down windows are just an option to enable in the body control computer. Some people get it, others can gently caress right off.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Elephanthead posted:

I think the problem is since the line is no longer setup for itemized builds, the cost would be insanely high. Better to let the dealer install crap. Also they like to bundle things so you have to spend more to get the fart fan by bundling it with the lipstick holder.

Using the "Build your Audi" website, an Audi A6 (not S6) Avant 1.8 TFSI starts at $70,000. A 3,0 TFSI Quattro is $120,000. A bespoke all-options 3.0 TFSI with "Audi Exclusive" paint in will end up at $200,000. But it's insanely customizable, and the ceramic brakes alone is a $14000 option, the B&O sound was $10,000. And the delivery time is long. But you can get pretty much anything if you are willing to pay. Pink leather interior? Call the dealer. It can be worked out.

F4rt5 fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 9, 2015

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

SouthLAnd posted:

Gotta love stuff like that. Back in the day before cars were so computerized this wasn't true, but now thing like auto up/down windows are just an option to enable in the body control computer. Some people get it, others can gently caress right off.

It is really annoying how many Japanese domestic market cars lacked cruise control up until quite recently

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Re mid engine vette: don't they trot that turbo charged mid engine rumor mill horse poo poo out every few years? I'm fairly young but feel like I've heard it six times.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Xguard86 posted:

Re mid engine vette: don't they trot that turbo charged mid engine rumor mill horse poo poo out every few years? I'm fairly young but feel like I've heard it six times.

Literally every single time the "next vette" rumors start popping up.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
There hasn't been a test mule sighted before that is obviously based on a 'vette, with a short front and a long rear, has there?

SPORK08
Sep 29, 2003
wagon-core

Mange Mite posted:

Dear Ford: bring back the Lightning. You can also sell them to cops.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

JazzmasterCurious posted:

Using the "Build your Audi" website, an Audi A6 (not S6) Avant 1.8 TFSI starts at $70,000. A 3,0 TFSI Quattro is $120,000. A bespoke all-options 3.0 TFSI with "Audi Exclusive" paint in will end up at $200,000. But it's insanely customizable, and the ceramic brakes alone is a $14000 option, the B&O sound was $10,000. And the delivery time is long. But you can get pretty much anything if you are willing to pay. Pink leather interior? Call the dealer. It can be worked out.

Are you taking about Australia or Hong Kong or somewhere? Because an S8 starts at 120k in the US and there's no way a 3l A6 costs the same.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah, an A6 starts at $44,800 and the highest I can get it is $77,600 on the US website.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

I'm pretty sure the "mid engine Corvette coming soon" goes all the way back to the 60s.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Nobody on earth is willing to pay ten or so times the cost of the complete options package to exclude some of the items in the options package - I hope.

That is what it would cost if you wanted to account for true cost of options proliferation. It might cost more, depending on how stupidly unpopular your configuration was.

Once you get in to that territory of consumer-is-bad-with-money, that person should be dropping money on very expensive vehicles that do allow a high degree of custom configuration.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Such as the "1 of 1" package for the new Viper GTC, announced just a few days ago.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/01/08/2015-dodge-viper-gtc-1-of-1-free-customs/

quote:

Now, you might be asking what's so special and exclusive about a trim level? Well, in the Viper GTC's case, it gives owners access to a catalog of 8,000 shades of paint for the exterior, 24,000 "hand-painted" custom stripe patterns, 10 different wheel options, 16 interior trims and no fewer than six aerodynamic packages. That results in 25 million different configurations for the 645-horsepower snake. Most shockingly, the customization choices come at no additional cost on the GTC model. And it's only the start.

quote:

The Concierge process will start with the ordering stage, which will include Dodge sending customers a paint chip showing the owner's custom choosing, which they can confirm or refuse. Shortly thereafter, Dodge will send buyers a 1:18-scale "speed-form" replica in their chosen custom colors, once again to confirm or deny the build. Once the buyer's color and option selection is locked-in, that car becomes a one-of-one Viper for that year – no other buyer will be permitted to build a Viper to the same specifications.

quote:

As for those worried about the potential for abuse – or at least bad taste – with this new program, Autoblog spoke to Dodge and SRT CEO Tim Kuniskis, and he told us the company wouldn't allow customers to build unsafe designs with things like aerodynamically mismatched front splitters and wings, but he added, "We'll let 'em build some ugly cars!"

http://www.drivesrt.com/2015/viper/1of1/

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

SFH1989 posted:

I'm pretty sure the "mid engine Corvette coming soon" goes all the way back to the 60s.

I still want a Ute. :colbert:

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

El Scotch posted:

I still want a Ute. :colbert:

Oh I absolutely agree, I would be way more excited for a new El Camino. A mid engine Corvette would be neat but I could actually afford a Ute.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
Jesus Christ...Honda fined $70M for not reporting deaths and injuries to NHTSA for 11 years. Biggest fine to an automaker ever.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2015/01/08/honda-fine-nhtsa/21445701/

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

Jesus Christ...Honda fined $70M for not reporting deaths and injuries to NHTSA for 11 years. Biggest fine to an automaker ever.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2015/01/08/honda-fine-nhtsa/21445701/

It sounds massive until you realize that the fine is just 1.2% of their NET income last year. Over the span of 11 years it comes to something like 0.2%. Completely insignificant.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Nobody on earth is willing to pay ten or so times the cost of the complete options package to exclude some of the items in the options package - I hope.
It depends what kind of customisation you're after. If you want a manual with an engine that is auto-only off the shelf, yes, that's not going to be justifiable.

If you just want to be allowed the leather with the grey piping rather than orange piping in your orange car, even though it normally only goes in the silver cars, the additional cost from a manufacturing point of view isn't that high, it just means ensuring that you pick from supply A rather than supply B when doing interior fitment on that particular car, it doesn't go down a different line or anything.

You can't say that any deviation from the packaged specifications will cost a huge amount of money, it depends on what kind of change you're talking about.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

"We'll let 'em build some ugly cars".

I think dodge has had the best run of "poo poo executives and PR people say" in recent memory. I hope it's indicative of a good culture.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

InitialDave posted:

It depends what kind of customisation you're after. If you want a manual with an engine that is auto-only off the shelf, yes, that's not going to be justifiable.

If you just want to be allowed the leather with the grey piping rather than orange piping in your orange car, even though it normally only goes in the silver cars, the additional cost from a manufacturing point of view isn't that high, it just means ensuring that you pick from supply A rather than supply B when doing interior fitment on that particular car, it doesn't go down a different line or anything.

You can't say that any deviation from the packaged specifications will cost a huge amount of money, it depends on what kind of change you're talking about.

It's not just the cost of the piping coming from a different supplier--how do you get that into your existing manufacturing line which is not tailored towards individually customer-requested options? You have to have a realistic method to ensure that the assy mechanic who normally installs the seats has a way of knowing when a particular car will be getting this rare option. will the parts that need to be installed be brought to the line? how do you ensure that the seat reaches his workstation at the appropriate time?

for most cars, these kind of requirements on an expensive moving line produce complexities that make it unprofitable if not ill-advised as well to offer completely custom stuff.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BraveUlysses posted:

It's not just the cost of the piping coming from a different supplier--how do you get that into your existing manufacturing line which is not tailored towards individually customer-requested options? You have to have a realistic method to ensure that the assy mechanic who normally installs the seats has a way of knowing when a particular car will be getting this rare option. will the parts that need to be installed be brought to the line? how do you ensure that the seat reaches his workstation at the appropriate time?
Car production lines have everything you need to do this right now. How do you think they get the right options in the right car currently?

And there's no cost of "different piping". It's something you already have in inventory, you already fit it, it's just fitting it to a car you wouldn't normally.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

InitialDave posted:

Car production lines have everything you need to do this right now. How do you think they get the right options in the right car currently?

And there's no cost of "different piping". It's something you already have in inventory, you already fit it, it's just fitting it to a car you wouldn't normally.

That depends entirely on how the produciton line is set up and on top of that you're adding the inevitable qa losses due to fuckups. Some companies have more or less flexible production setups and systems but in general simpler is cheaper to the point where you get the famous example of every model gettign power windows because it's cheaper due to scale + production simplification. Especially since labor is one of hte most expensive inputs nowadays

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

InitialDave posted:

Yes there is a different cost for the piping--do you think these seats actually show up unassembled? For a truly custom color on the seat you would have to have someone place an order for a part (with enough lead time) and ensure that it shows up on time, passes QA and makes it to the installation location. the supplier would almost certainly charge more for a custom part, I have no idea how you can believe otherwise.

Trust me, the increased complexity drives up costs very, very fast. even for industries like my own (airplane interiors) which are almost completely custom each and every plane.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BraveUlysses posted:

Yes there is a different cost for the piping--do you think these seats actually show up unassembled? For a truly custom color on the seat you would have to have someone place an order for a part (with enough lead time) and ensure that it shows up on time, passes QA and makes it to the installation location. the supplier would almost certainly charge more for a custom part, I have no idea how you can believe otherwise.
You misunderstood what I was describing. You thought I meant a custom colour not in the catalogue, which I don't. What I mean is that there are seats coming in for fitment with one colour piping, and seats coming in with another colour piping. Normally you restrict which cars they go in based on the paint colours. To allow a paint/trim combo you wouldn't normally build does not have additional cost for materials or installation, just a minor logistics change. When that particular shell (and they can identify them individually all the way along the production line) reaches the point of installing the relevant components, all that happens is the callout for fitment is for the other colour code.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Though, that still depends on the configuration of the production line. Carmakers often batch cars of a particular color. If the seat picker can only draw on one source of seats, you would have to make sure that the seat inventory of that line at that particular time had that seat of a different color and then you would also have to make sure that it was in the correct place in the queue so it lined up with the car that had the other options the person ordered.

If the seat installation part of the line could pull on the full inventory of seat options at all times, it's less than an issue. If it can only pull on one source of seats at a time, then things get more complex.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

bull3964 posted:

Though, that still depends on the configuration of the production line. Carmakers often batch cars of a particular color. If the seat picker can only draw on one source of seats, you would have to make sure that the seat inventory of that line at that particular time had that seat of a different color and then you would also have to make sure that it was in the correct place in the queue so it lined up with the car that had the other options the person ordered.

If the seat installation part of the line could pull on the full inventory of seat options at all times, it's less than an issue. If it can only pull on one source of seats at a time, then things get more complex.
Yep, those are all good points. I'm (obviously) of the opinion that those logistics are well within the current capabilities of an automotive production line, though it doesn't mean it's guaranteed (as I typed this, i remembered the time BMW cocked up the softop colour on my motther's car, and there was that thing with Jeep fitting the wrong colour arches to Wranglers).

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Xguard86 posted:

"We'll let 'em build some ugly cars".

I think dodge has had the best run of "poo poo executives and PR people say" in recent memory. I hope it's indicative of a good culture.

Chrysler has always been the land of smoked out engineers and goofy rear end PR guys.

I mean christ, they built a mod top Hemi 'Cuda because some chucklefuck ordered it that way.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Chrysler owns, I hope they continue to find success in the market.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Speaking of Chrysler:

http://jalopnik.com/first-hellcat-sold-in-colorado-wrecked-an-hour-after-pu-1673994344

Now it's time for everyone to discuss angrily about the insurance rates.

Living in Canada myself I wonder if it's practical to have a 707hp RWD behemoth as your only car. I imagine the traction control is probably a joke. Feather the throttle ever so lightly and those wheels will spin.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Kraftwerk posted:

Speaking of Chrysler:

http://jalopnik.com/first-hellcat-sold-in-colorado-wrecked-an-hour-after-pu-1673994344

Living in Canada myself I wonder if it's practical to have a 707hp RWD behemoth as your only car. I imagine the traction control is probably a joke. Feather the throttle ever so lightly and those wheels will spin.

One of the keys restricts it to 500hp, i don't see why you're worried.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
At leas the factory tires on the Hellcat are somewhat streetable. GM was cancelling press events for the Z/28 at the slightest hint of rain because if you drive a Z/28 in the wet you will probably die.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

drgitlin posted:

Are you taking about Australia or Hong Kong or somewhere? Because an S8 starts at 120k in the US and there's no way a 3l A6 costs the same.
Haha. This is socialist utopia Norway. I think we have the most expensive car taxes in the world. Apart from maybe socialist utopia Denmark. Where, going from their configurator, the same 3l starts at 1,000,000 DKK ($160,000) before any options.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

JazzmasterCurious posted:

Haha. This is socialist utopia Norway. I think we have the most expensive car taxes in the world. Apart from maybe socialist utopia Denmark. Where, going from their configurator, the same 3l starts at 1,000,000 DKK ($160,000) before any options.

http://www.audi.com.sg/sea/brand/sg.html

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Jesus Christ :shepspends:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KakerMix posted:

That's only $440,000 USD :colbert:

apparently that's about the same price as a bentley V8 continental GT or porsche 911 GT3, really just audi taking the piss.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 10, 2015

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Kraftwerk posted:

Speaking of Chrysler:

I know it's "only" 560 HP, but my friend's CTS-V wagon with a manual is perhaps the easiest cars to drive smoothly I've ever been in. My wife had never sat in the driver's seat of a manual transmission vehicle and he taught her how to get it going with no issues whatsoever. I'm sure he'd drive it in winter if wheels and snow tires weren't ridiculously expensive for the thing and he didn't already have two cars set up for winter.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I know it's "only" 560 HP, but my friend's CTS-V wagon with a manual is perhaps the easiest cars to drive smoothly I've ever been in. My wife had never sat in the driver's seat of a manual transmission vehicle and he taught her how to get it going with no issues whatsoever. I'm sure he'd drive it in winter if wheels and snow tires weren't ridiculously expensive for the thing and he didn't already have two cars set up for winter.

With more power, the manufacturer can give the car a more linear throttle without it feeling underpowered.

Getting out of a vehicle with american throttle mapping into something linear with equal power almost feels like there's resistance, like something is holding the vehicle back. That's why most vehicles these days, trucks especially, seem to give 80% throttle on 10% pedal. Faking fast. with 560hp, that obviously wouldn't be a problem.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

At leas the factory tires on the Hellcat are somewhat streetable. GM was cancelling press events for the Z/28 at the slightest hint of rain because if you drive a Z/28 in the wet you will probably die.

As God intended, really.

Boss
Feb 23, 2011

KakerMix posted:

Welp guess it's time to fly over to Germany, buy an RS6 and go on the road trip of a life time to Singapore.

Sell the car. Rinse and repeat until I'm a millionaire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Boss posted:

Welp guess it's time to fly over to Germany, buy an RS6 and go on the road trip of a life time to Singapore.

Sell the car. Rinse and repeat until I'm a millionaire.

Just buy two and have a buddy come with you. Bang.