Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003
Given that I'm only working with the Core and Rebel Aces set here, how does this list look?

Jake Farrell — A-Wing 24
Proton Rockets 3

Keyan Farlander — B-Wing 29
Proton Torpedoes 4
Kyle Katarn 3
B-Wing/E2 1

Luke Skywalker — X-Wing 28
Proton Torpedoes 4
R2-D2 4

From what I'm getting, the trick with the Keyan/Kyle combo would be to pull a red maneuver, gain a stress token. Then attack, remove the stress token to bump up my hits, then use Kyle's ability to add a focus token, which would be used to bump up my dodge on any return fire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

So is there going to be a new Firespray released for the Scum faction that's going to be better looking, have better upgrades and just be overall better than the Firespray I just picked up from B&N?

Not a new model, just new cards in the 'Most Wanted' pack that converts your existing model to a Scum ship.

edit: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4998

"Most Wanted is a collection of ship cards, upgrades, tokens, and dials that allow you to repurpose some of your existing starships for use within the Scum faction. You’ll find support for the Firespray-31, HWK-290, Y-wing, and Z-95 Headhunter."

plester1 fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 9, 2015

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Any recommended purchases besides the Core Set if we're talking about two players playing against each other while trying to keep it relatively cheap?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Azran posted:

Any recommended purchases besides the Core Set if we're talking about two players playing against each other while trying to keep it relatively cheap?

Two core sets. No joke.
The two Aces packs are also good, not just because of the ships but because they come with some almost essential upgrades (as long as you don't just decide to proxy cards between friends).

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Knowing next to nothing about Star Wars lore beyond the movies, is 2 X-Wings vs 4 TIE Fighters remotely balanced? The standard distribution if 1 X-Wing/2 TIE Fighters in the original set looks pretty lovely as far as options go.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Azran posted:

Knowing next to nothing about Star Wars lore beyond the movies, is 2 X-Wings vs 4 TIE Fighters remotely balanced? The standard distribution if 1 X-Wing/2 TIE Fighters in the original set looks pretty lovely as far as options go.

Both are awful as far as options and balance go. The thing about getting a second base set is that you get a lot for you money (the added maneuver templates alone are very handy, and you get more dice, which is always nice) and you are well on your way towards building both a proper TIE swarm and any of the very common builds that uses two X-Wings and something else. That's where something like the Aces packs come in.

You could arguably just buy a separate X-Wing, TIE, and a third ship instead and get the additional pilots and upgrades that come with those ships, but you're still not very likely to end up with something that's balanced — you'll need a fair amount of ships to get to the full 100pts on both sides, especially if you want some variety as well.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 9, 2015

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
If I just want to play this game for a day with my brother, is there anything reasonably cheap I can grab that'll still be fun?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Tippis posted:

Both are awful as far as options and balance go. The thing about getting a second base set is that you get a lot for you money (the added maneuver templates alone are very handy, and you get more dice, which is always nice) and you are well on your way towards building both a proper TIE swarm and any of the very common builds that uses two X-Wings and something else. That's where something like the Aces packs come in.

You could arguably just buy a separate X-Wing, TIE, and a third ship instead and get the additional pilots and upgrades that come with those ships, but you're still not very likely to end up with something that's balanced — you'll need a fair amount of ships to get to the full 100pts on both sides, especially if you want some variety as well.

I see - any estimative price on two 100pts lists to give me a basic idea of how much I'd be spending? Something vanilla that uses two core sets, for brevity's sake.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

General Battuta posted:

If I just want to play this game for a day with my brother, is there anything reasonably cheap I can grab that'll still be fun?

A core set can be had for a pretty reasonable price, and you can treat it like a board game. I doubt after you play it a few times that you can resist the urge to collect all of the pretty space ships... :getin:

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Azran posted:

I see - any estimative price on two 100pts lists to give me a basic idea of how much I'd be spending? Something vanilla that uses two core sets, for brevity's sake.

$110 with few choices for squad construction. $150 with some variety.
I'd actually skip the second core in favor of the TIE and X wing expansion since they have cool alternate pilots. Personal preference though.

One core (40)
One rebel aces (25)
One imperial aces (25)
One x wing (12)
One tie fighter (12)

I'd add a large rebel ship in for variety's sake and allow for more squad construction. That gets you to 140. Add in another small imperial ship of your choice to get to 150 and let the imperial player get some variety.

X wing is not a cheap game.

You don't have to run 100 point games though. 60-70 points works well for casual games. Core + Aces + Aces gets you that for 90.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

General Battuta posted:

A core set is pretty much a mandatory place to start if you don't have anything yet. It comes with the absolutely necessary maneuver templates for your ships. An X-Wing and two TIE Fighters isn't exactly representative of a full tournament game, but it's not a bad way to spend an afternoon. Very streaky though, because TIE Fighters are made of used napkins and hope.

If you're just looking for a way to see if you like it and/or spend one afternoon playing and then never touch it again, go with just a core set. If you know you're going to keep playing, or if you have your heart set on some particularly cool looking ship, get a core set and that ship. If you're actually looking to do tournament lists at each other, yeah what that other guy said.

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003

Carteret posted:

A core set can be had for a pretty reasonable price, and you can treat it like a board game. I doubt after you play it a few times that you can resist the urge to collect all of the pretty space ships... :getin:

See this how it starts, I have a fairly large boardgame collection and picked up the Core Set.

Next day I was at another of my usual FLGS and spotted the Rebel Aces set.. few days later it was a Decimator just because it looked cool and they were out of FireSpray. Now what I have is not balanced for a Rebel vs Imperial game, so I'll need the Imperial Aces to balance the Rebel Aces, and I'll grab the Millenium Falcon when it's in stock to balance the Decimator. Maybe another Core set to get some more basic ships.. oh and then when the Imperial Raider comes out I'll have to grab that.. but then it won't be even so I'll need another 'big' Rebel ship..:shepspends:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Strobe posted:

A core set is pretty much a mandatory place to start if you don't have anything yet. It comes with the absolutely necessary maneuver templates for your ships. An X-Wing and two TIE Fighters isn't exactly representative of a full tournament game, but it's not a bad way to spend an afternoon. Very streaky though, because TIE Fighters are made of used napkins and hope.

If you're just looking for a way to see if you like it and/or spend one afternoon playing and then never touch it again, go with just a core set. If you know you're going to keep playing, or if you have your heart set on some particularly cool looking ship, get a core set and that ship. If you're actually looking to do tournament lists at each other, yeah what that other guy said.

Okay, here's a question - if I have a big group of people to play with (ranging from 4 to 8 depending on the day), and I get a ship for every player at least, trying to keep things varied by buying different ones and just playing the game like some kind of weird pseudo-board game, how terrible would you say this idea is.

Also man I want that E-Wing.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

unicr0n posted:

From what I'm getting, the trick with the Keyan/Kyle combo would be to pull a red maneuver, gain a stress token. Then attack, remove the stress token to bump up my hits, then use Kyle's ability to add a focus token, which would be used to bump up my dodge on any return fire?

That is it really, I probably wouldn't be running it if I had more ships to be honest, but it helps me make up my 100 points and it is at the very least a nice bit of synergy. One important thing to note about the B-Wing that you may not have grasped if you haven't played with it yet is that a lot of manevres that are white and green for most ships are red for the B-wing. So it is quite easy to pick up the stress, you just have to accept that you are going to struggle to do more than pseudo-focus for the whole game. The good news is that the cards basically mean you get two focus a turn if you are stressing him AND rolling at least one eye.

If you can get your hands on a push the limit for your Jake the Snake I would heartily recommend it. The distance he can cover in one turn, and the free focus to fire off the proton rockets is such a shocker.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Azran posted:

It's not completely terrible - TIEs start at 12 points' worth of ships, and X-wings start at 21, so it's easy enough to come up with two 50-60 point lists. After that, it's as unbalanced as any other equal-points match-up in this game.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jan 9, 2015

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Will the S&V upgrades for the HWK be available to rebels as well?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Iceclaw posted:

Will the S&V upgrades for the HWK be available to rebels as well?
If you mean Illicit upgrades, no, those will only be available to S&V.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

$110 with few choices for squad construction. $150 with some variety.
I'd actually skip the second core in favor of the TIE and X wing expansion since they have cool alternate pilots. Personal preference though.

One core (40)
One rebel aces (25)
One imperial aces (25)
One x wing (12)
One tie fighter (12)

This plus a TIE Advanced is what I started with around x-mas, and it was pretty good for a getting feel for the game.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."

Azran posted:

Okay, here's a question - if I have a big group of people to play with (ranging from 4 to 8 depending on the day), and I get a ship for every player at least, trying to keep things varied by buying different ones and just playing the game like some kind of weird pseudo-board game, how terrible would you say this idea is.

Also man I want that E-Wing.

It's not too terrible. I've done the same with 4 friends playing 60 pt. squads against each other. One flying an X-Wing, another a B-Wing versus one flying a TIE-Defender and another flying two TIE-Fighters. I just made sure to pick the ships for them and only make available the upgrades that came with their respective ship.

Game turned out pretty close, but it ran longer than a usual 100 vs. 100 game. I also had to hover around to answer questions that might come up. My only regret is not making them play with asteroids on the board to facilitate combat (and accidental damage).

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Tekopo posted:

If you mean Illicit upgrades, no, those will only be available to S&V.

I don't know what they are releasing for it at all. But yeah, if it's only for S&V I'll be pretty disappointed. I like that ship.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Iceclaw posted:

I don't know what they are releasing for it at all. But yeah, if it's only for S&V I'll be pretty disappointed. I like that ship.

Pilot cards, the new astromechs, and illicit upgrades will be scum-only, but any other upgrades will go on the HWK just fine.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I completely understand the scum vs rebel divide, but I would really like to see some kind of allowance for scum ships to be used with rebel or imperial squads, with some kind of point cost involved. FFG will never make it official, but hopefully I can convince a store in my local area to do an event or store tourney with that kind of rule in place. Like a +5 squad point penalty for using any scum ships in your squad.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I can't wait for the Scum ships to come out, but hopefully the Slave I gets stocked again soon. I was too late checking Barnes and Noble, and now the only thing they have listed is a different seller at $85

susan
Jan 14, 2013
I'm kinda sad the Falcon can't be taken in Scum & Villany. I mean, it's kinda the quintessential smuggler ship.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

susan posted:

I'm kinda sad the Falcon can't be taken in Scum & Villany. I mean, it's kinda the quintessential smuggler ship.

I was wondering what a king smuggler list would look like, then realized it would probably be some variant of the Falcon and Outrider :v:

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

susan posted:

Scum and Villainy are pirates and bounty hunters. Smugglers are charming rogues, not villains.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

But they are scum. It's fine, though. Fat Han and 3 Z-95 is a scum and villainy list.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Hmm, so far I own the core set and two z-95s. Should I consider picking up Most Wanted? That way, I can run either a Rebel 4z-95 list with Biggs soaking up fire.

(List is Blount with Ion Missiles, Cracken w/ same plus decoy and munitions failsafe, two Bandit meatshields, and biggs with r2-d2)

Or, I could run S&V
N'dru with markmanship and hot shot blaster, drea with 2x proton torps, munition failsafe, unhinged astromech, BTL title, Ion cannon
3x black sun pilots.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Chill la Chill posted:

But they are scum. It's fine, though. Fat Han and 3 Z-95 is a scum and villainy list.

With FFG's precedents in the LCG and imperial assault, there's no way that they would put rebel aligned smugglers into the bounty hunter faction.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
So last night I ran:

Rear Admiral Chrianeau w/ Expose
2x Royal Guard Pilots w/ PtL

Ended up that of the 5 players who showed up, 4 of us were running Decimators, and the 5th was running Chewie, so the RGPs weren't hugely successful.

Has anyone run Chrianeau with Expose and Experimental Interface? Thinking about it last night, getting that extra action would be huge between Expose and his ability.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Veritek83 posted:

So last night I ran:

Rear Admiral Chrianeau w/ Expose
2x Royal Guard Pilots w/ PtL

Ended up that of the 5 players who showed up, 4 of us were running Decimators, and the 5th was running Chewie, so the RGPs weren't hugely successful.

Has anyone run Chrianeau with Expose and Experimental Interface? Thinking about it last night, getting that extra action would be huge between Expose and his ability.

I ran a Decimator with Expose/EI for a few matches. It's very hard-hitting and you can soft-2 your way around the map hitting people for 4-5 focused dice every turn, which is super fun to me.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Played an Epic game today, my first! 2v1, 300 points each side, we had 4 T/Fs, 3 T/Bs and 5 T/Is for the imperials against a transport, the CR-90, 4 X-Wings, 1 B-Wing and 1 Y-Wing for the rebels. It was the first time I've ever flown against the CR-90 and it was really interesting in terms of how it worked. The rebels cleared the board though: in the end there were 3 T/Fs and 1 T/Bs destroyed while the rebels lost everything. Everyone had a lot of fun though and I can't wait until the Imperial Raider comes out now!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
This was the setup for the Epic game:

I was honestly surprised how vulnerable the huge ships are to just fighter primary weapons. I was expecting the bombers to be vital but instead they just died, useless, while the TIEs and Interceptors shot the transport and Tantive to bits.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The Bombers would have done better if they hadn't been constantly jammed up with stress tokens :v:

(And only one of them died)

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

You can talk poo poo about Fat Han lists, but sweet jesus christ I've never seen so many Corran's in one place in my life. 4 of my 5 matches today were against fat rear end Corran Horn's and some flavor of YT. The other was a BB Chewie list.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I've been trying my damndest to make a EEY list work. I love E-Wings. Why can't they be two points cheaper? :qq:

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Carteret posted:

You can talk poo poo about Fat Han lists, but sweet jesus christ I've never seen so many Corran's in one place in my life. 4 of my 5 matches today were against fat rear end Corran Horn's and some flavor of YT. The other was a BB Chewie list.

Yeah, I poked my head in for a few at the store, but I wasn't able to play today. There were a lot of Corrans, 3700 lists, and Decimators. Some dude had apparently never seen a Corran before and was receiving a rude awakening about what he does and how the FCS works.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

The Gate posted:

Yeah, I poked my head in for a few at the store, but I wasn't able to play today. There were a lot of Corrans, 3700 lists, and Decimators. Some dude had apparently never seen a Corran before and was receiving a rude awakening about what he does and how the FCS works.

Were you the goon pointed out by alg?

vvvEditvvv
Nice! I was (one of) the red bearded fucks at the far end of the table. The one he said that lame stairs poo poo to. :v:

Carteret fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 11, 2015

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Yup, that's me!

Edit: I haven't played in a couple months, so I basically just dropped in and grabbed the Decimator they happened to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I went 2-2 and dropped. After firing for 3 rounds against a Corran and landing 2 hits I was ready for food. 10+ hours of tournament with no lunch break wasn't looking fun.

There were a lot of netlists there, and I played super well so I feel good. The prizes weren't compelling this year.

edit: at least I made that one dude feel bad for buying a bunch of promos on ebay.

alg fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 11, 2015

• Locked thread