Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Rincewind posted:

[Ask] me about my Austria-Hungary game where after I'd lost a few wars my prestige was so tanked that, combined with demand from recently civilized Great Power China I couldn't even buy small arms or ammunition to build any army at all. I spent at least a decade or two amassing an ever greater pile of money I couldn't spend on anything, while all my neighbors fought unopposed wars against me every time their truces expired.

I'm glad that this game of Victoria 2 is going a little better than that. :v:

Can't you still build irregulars? Admittedly, there's not a lot of difference between "my neighbours mowed down my irregulars" and "my neighbours fought unopposed wars against me", but it would be funny :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Dibujante posted:

Can't you still build irregulars? Admittedly, there's not a lot of difference between "my neighbours mowed down my irregulars" and "my neighbours fought unopposed wars against me", but it would be funny :v:

Yeah, I probably could have. I was still holding out hope that somehow, eventually, the regulars I had queued up would finish building.

Of course even they would have been instantly slaughtered by France or Prussia the next time they looked funny at me.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Rincewind posted:

[Ask] me about my Austria-Hungary game where after I'd lost a few wars my prestige was so tanked that, combined with demand from recently civilized Great Power China I couldn't even buy small arms or ammunition to build any army at all. I spent at least a decade or two amassing an ever greater pile of money I couldn't spend on anything, while all my neighbors fought unopposed wars against me every time their truces expired.

I'm glad that this game of Victoria 2 is going a little better than that. :v:

If you want a pure unadulterated Victoria 2 experience, load up Concert of Europe mod, play as Congress Poland and actually survive the November Uprising. All your cores, except of the basic ones, are also cores for either Russia, Austria or Hungary. Take even one state from them and enjoy an all-out war every 5 years. Also, missing Posen or West Preussen is actually enough to prevent Germany from ever unifying beyond NGF.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Dibujante posted:

You lose a pop for every four irregulars that die and irregulars are very good at dying. In a situation like this, trying to actually defend yourself might just make things worse. EU4 has a similar issue with the slowly replenishing manpower. If you raise ten regiments and they get stackwiped by the enemies forty regiments, you're down ten thousand manpower for no gain. Keep doing this, and you won't be able to support an army even if you win the war. I can't tell you how many times I've fought to the bitter end, pulled out a hard victory, and cursed myself for not surrendering years earlier because I didn't have an army left for the next war. Mercenaries help with this, but you have to be able to float the debt, which is it's own issue.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Gantolandon posted:

If you want a pure unadulterated Victoria 2 experience, load up Concert of Europe mod, play as Congress Poland and actually survive the November Uprising. All your cores, except of the basic ones, are also cores for either Russia, Austria or Hungary. Take even one state from them and enjoy an all-out war every 5 years. Also, missing Posen or West Preussen is actually enough to prevent Germany from ever unifying beyond NGF.

I've tried that but was never able to get it to work (I am bad at V2). Seriously how are you supposed to not get steamrollered by Russia?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Grizzwold posted:

I've tried that but was never able to get it to work (I am bad at V2). Seriously how are you supposed to not get steamrollered by Russia?

You're not, you're Poland.

Cestrian
Nov 5, 2011

Duckbag posted:

You lose a pop for every four irregulars that die and irregulars are very good at dying. In a situation like this, trying to actually defend yourself might just make things worse. EU4 has a similar issue with the slowly replenishing manpower. If you raise ten regiments and they get stackwiped by the enemies forty regiments, you're down ten thousand manpower for no gain. Keep doing this, and you won't be able to support an army even if you win the war. I can't tell you how many times I've fought to the bitter end, pulled out a hard victory, and cursed myself for not surrendering years earlier because I didn't have an army left for the next war. Mercenaries help with this, but you have to be able to float the debt, which is it's own issue.

Yeah, one of the lessons you have to learn in eu4 is that losing a war is fine, losing your army is not. As the teutons, for example, the only way I've ever managed to do well is by sending my army away into russia during the worst polish wars and just wait for them to take what they want. That way you can come back later when you're stronger. Otherwise you get the deluge.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I had a very similar experience as Scotland.

The difference being, I had nowhere to run to :sigh:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
One time I severely botched my opening game as England by mismanaging the HYW. I didn't try to win, or anything stupid like that, but I didn't bother moving my armies out of the way so they all got wiped out while my surrender offer was still making its way to Versailles. Bye bye, manpower.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

When do we learn head explosions?
Is there an EU4 tutorial LP out there that I missed? Because I always seem to run out of manpower and die.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

While we're sharing EU4 manpower horror stories, reminder that this happened in the Deluge:

Cestrian
Nov 5, 2011

AdventFalls posted:

Is there an EU4 tutorial LP out there that I missed? Because I always seem to run out of manpower and die.

The only real way to play eu4 is stumble about blindly for ages until you work out it's incredibly intricate and incredibly badly explained mechanisms by accident when all your armies die horribly.

My first ever game as england, I ended up being beaten up by literally everyone because I didn't understand the importance of keeping up with tech. Like to the point that the native americans were kicking me around for fun and the game makes it all but impossible for a european power to lose to the native americans. Don't even get me started on those terrifying scots.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Rincewind posted:

While we're sharing EU4 manpower horror stories, reminder that this happened in the Deluge:

Hey, you still had a navy!

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

ZearothK posted:

Hey, you still had a navy!

I've only lost our navy once so far in V2, I'll have you know!

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

PART 57: Discovered Check (September 20, 1850 - September 28, 1855)

Nearly a century after her murder by the Black Chamber during the reign of Empress Anna I Yaroslavovna, Dorothean Kauffmann-- alias "Artemis"-- was still well-remembered as an important figure in pre-revolutionary Byzantium for her regular skewering of the Roman aristocracy. In the 1850s, when the Capitolino was ascendent and the Julians and Junonians were left in the political wilderness by a first past the post voting system built to keep them out of the National Assembly, the Athens Gazette began to once more run editorials under the "Artemis" byline. "Her" writings give us a valuable insight into the opinions of a liberal opposition torn between their despair at the dominance of Georgiana Sapoutizakis and her Capitolino and the loathing they shared with Sapoutizakis of aristocrats, monarchs, Roman émigrés, and the French.

We shan't insult your intelligence, dear reader, and pretend the signing & ratification of the Treaty of Mann was not extremely favorable to Byzantium.

Sapoutizakis had clearly exerted a Herculean effort promoting the ideas of the Revolution abroad.

Success abroad, however, is only half the equation. The Capitolino has a certain tendency to look at the gains the Revolution has made in its first half-century and decide that, things already being arranged to their liking, no further progress is necessary.

Yet the defense of liberty requires more than fortifications along our frontiers and railroads tying the poleis together.

The world sits on the precipice of a great change.

The other children of Rome are waking up.

We must maintain our position at the vanguard of change & progress, rather than being content with our present fortunate lot.

The price of political complacency is incalculable.

We must not let ourselves be caught on the wrong side of history. Should Capitolino complacency allow the Republic to become synonymous with stagnation & oppression, a healthy love of liberty and a human yearning for freedom can easily be co-opted by a poisonous nationalism that will tear Byzantium asunder into a thousand atomized ethnic enclaves, ripe for piecemeal conquest at the hands of the de Valois-Vexins and von Wismars of the world.

We are still, at present, one of the brightest lights in a darkening world...

...a crucial example to the younger nations of the world. No longer are we the sole beacon of Republicanism in Europe.

So let us not lead our students in republicanism in Ireland or in liberalism in Germany by overstepping the bounds of the Mandate of the People by meddling in private enterprise.

Let us look instead to the freedom offered in the wild, untamed corners of the globe, where Haida free traders with nothing more than a dream and a mining pick can make their fortune under the wide-open skies of Karatgurk.

The smaller nations of the world will always prefer a rising power to those used to resting easy on the levers of power. We must take care never to become the latter.

--

Times are interesting in the France of Élisabeth de Valois-Vexin. Given its losses against the League and its victories against Lai Ang, one has the unmistakable impression that her entire nation is drifting gradually westward. Perhaps one day France shall simply leap across the sea and relocate to Avalon?

They are considered one of the greatest industrial powers of the world. Consider, though, how much of that wealth was stolen— how many factories now operating under avaricious French aristos were built by Lai Ang enterprise. French industry, placed as it has been in the hands of an archaic feudal aristocracy in a desperate rear-guard action against an empowered bourgeoisie tinged with Jacobin ideas of liberty, is simply incapable of the same productivity as industry built with the blood, sweat, and tears of honest capitalists.

The world sees that French power & its aspirations of Continental leadership pale before the genuine article.

France is yet a mighty beast to slay— but the world can tell there's already blood in the water. Our sources in Versailles tell us Élisabeth grows more desperate by the day.

The dissolution of this empire is likely to be an extraordinarily messy affair.

The Government rightly prepares for war, and in this, at least, we support the President unconditionally.

She is a soldier by profession & inclination, and understands the needs for sweeping reforms & reorganization of the army during this blessed period of interbellum— in the next war, we might have to face a tougher opponent than the starving conscripts of the Russian empress.

Our liberty from the yoke of feudal obligation gives our institutions a suppleness lacked by the brittle aristocracy of France. In our army, the most qualified rise to the top, rather than being beholden to some inbred ninny who counts a knight or baron amongst their distant forebears.

Perhaps some backwards nations still see blue blood as the riverspring of dignity & respect, and fall spellbound to the stolen majesty of a queen.

All dynasties fall eventually, however. Consider the fate of the once-might Yaroslavoviches— once masters of the twin empires of Kiev & Rome, their fortunes slowly dwindled until the last survivors of their dynasties cowered in Holland— presently being overrun by the free nations of the world.

Pieter I Yaroslavovich, King of Holland; held by the Roman émigrés to be the true emperor of Rome

True sovereignty can only spring from the people themselves. The liberal monarchies— China, the Habsburg realms, the Haida, the Ayiti Federation, et al., recognize that without the people's mandate their crowns mean nothing. They, perhaps, shall survive through the century.

It is in a Republic, however, that the Mandate of the People is heard most clearly.

And we are pleased that, for once, the Capitolino has extended its aptitude for military reform to the civil government— President Sapoutizakis has just signed legislation from the National Assembly finally abolishing the last vestiges of the literacy tests— in place since before the Commonwealth!-- required to exercise the franchise in the Republic. Another cruel vestige of the old Roman world has joined the Senate, the emperor, and the Legion in the dustbin of history.

Every citizen of Byzantium can now have a say in how they are governed. This is, by any measure, a great victory, and we do not wish to undercut it.

Yet until we have exchanged our first-past-the-post voting system for one of proportional representation, we feel a great many voices will continue to go unheard. Or are we to believe that the 90% majority enjoyed by the Capitolino in the National Assembly reflects the undiluted will of the people?

The war against Yaroslavovich Holland proceeds uneventfully.

The Holy Romans had already been making short work of the Dutch— but the mere sight of the Byzantine navy on the horizon caused the Yaroslavoviches to instantly capitulate. Once more, we have shown our allies that we will do whatever is necessary to further their interests.

Such a war hardly required our full attention, and the Government has continued its policy of aggressively intervening in the economy & investing in Byzantium's factories.

Certainly, industry is a good thing. But we question the efficacy of not allowing the free market to take its course.

Sad news from the east— the war between Hindustan & Marathas which as been waging for so long (well before the alliance between Hindustan & Byzantium was signed) has ended in Hindustani defeat. If only they had called Byzantium into their struggle... the pride of monarchs, even enlightened liberal ones, can be a dangerous thing.

Lithuania has drifted away from the rest of the Victorian League in the years following the First War, and it continued to suffer at the hands of the Franco-Russian Entente.

Ties between it and Byzantium have remained strong, though, and our government acted properly when it elected to intervene on behalf of the Dunins against the lesser de Valois-Vexins in Poland.

The cowardly irenicists sheltered by the church pitched a fit, of course.

Our allies had other ideas!

More concerning news from France has reached the ears of Artemis! Jacobins & other perceived malcontents have been vanishing in the dead of night. Where they have gone, no-one seems to know.

We have our suspicious.

(ooc: whoops should have deleted that decision lmao)

The French have also been observing the performance of the Revolutionary Army's new rifles against the Polish with no small amount of alarm. We say— it is a little late for Élisabeth de Valois-Vexin to cry crocodile tears for her Polish cousin when she had earlier callously disposed of her ally following its failures in the First War.

The war with Poland seems a trifling affair when juxtaposed with events in the wider world, however.

Asitelahan's origins lie in the messy aftermath of the conquests of the Ming Frontier Army, when the empire built by Chang Yuchun and his successors broke apart into organized successor states (of which only Lai Ang and Da Qin are still extant) and a patchwork of rebel states whose local governors refused to subject themselves to outside rule. Asitelahan was one of these so-called "Ming revolter" states. All this history— Chang Yuchun's far outstepping his original mandate to dismantle the Golden Horde & Ilkhanate, the breakup of his empire, and the autonomy of its successors-- all stemmed from the inability of even the Ming to rule so vast and sprawling a territory from Beijing.

We live in a very different age— an age of steamships, railroads, and telegraphy.

When the Sultan of Asitelahan, considering the total reverse of his nation's fortunes since the glories of the eighteenth century, petitioned the Empress of China for her protection, Zhu Chunmei II was delighted to accept.

An embarrassing incident has thrown how far Lai Ang has fallen in the world into sharp relief. The dominion of Tianhui Catalina has lately broken off ties with León and declared its total independence. The Ayiti Federation, eager to expand their holdings in South Avalon to help offset the Haida's growing power in the Pacific, declared war on the rebellious colony— and then demanded that Lai Ang join them in their war effort. Lai Ang soldiers and sailors are now fighting in Tianhui Catalina, not to restore it to their empire, but to force it to cede territory to the Federation.

A sad spectacle.

France, meanwhile, has once more ceded land to the Holy Roman Empire without so much as one bullet fired.

Élisabeth, presumably, felt that her nation was not yet ready to fight a Third war of the Victorian League. Her nobles were unconvinced, and the result was a frantic internal power struggle of the likes not seen in France for centuries.

The end result was the death of French absolutism. But what followed was not a great flowering of liberty— instead, the so-called Second Estate-- the feudal aristocracy-- which for the past decades had been growing increasingly powerful on the basis of their stranglehold on French industry-- asserted its power.

The "franchise" has been extended to the landed nobility.

A sad showing compared to the true democracies of the world.

Foremost among the new de facto leaders of France are the four "Machine Dukes" who each presided over an industrial monopoly, and, between them, control over half the factories in France.

Henriette de Conteville, Duchesse de Normandie
(Armaments, ammunition, and artillery)

Antoine d'Armagnac, Duc de Guyenne
(Coal, steel, and iron)

General Jean-François Lyautey, Marquis de Bonac & Duc de Bretagne
(Railroads, telegraphs, and shipbuilding)

Caroline de Gontaut, Duchesse de Bourbon
(Lumber, liquor, and canning)

Students of Byzantine history should be quick to remember that four tyrants are worse than one— witness the tetrarchy of Diocletian removing the last feeble vestiges of the Republic that had somehow endured up to their reign.

More to the point, they should remember that there is no enemy to liberty so dangerous and implacable as the doux. Before the Byzantine Republic, before Juno Koca, before the Commonwealth of the Romans, before the creation of the poleis and the promulgation of the Edict of Athens— the first step down the long road from the tyranny of the Dominate to the liberty of Noor Sallejer was the centuries long struggle by Alexios Komnenos and his successors to eradicate the doukes.

Versailles has been rocked to its core. But for the vast majority of those subject to French tyranny-- those teeming masses of French and German peasants, those Bretons and Basques occupied by foreign conquerers, those Hui and Spaniards and Andalusians who have found their homes and businesses on the wrong side of the ever-advancing western frontiers of France— life, if it changes at all, will change for the worse.

With the war in Poland brought to a successful conclusion...

...and the people of West Galicia liberated from de Valois-Vexin tyranny...

(ooc... um... about that. Very early in the mod, I thought of using the PLC tag to make a combined Lithuania-Hungary. I abandoned that idea, but I guess I failed to remove their cores from some of their provinces. I then accidentally added a wargoal to force Poland to release some PLC cores, instead of forcing them to cede territory to the actual Lithuania. So I just renamed the resulting abomination "The Krakow Republic" and declared it a victory for democracy, because that's just the kind of rear end in a top hat thing the Byzantine Republic would do.)

...it is high time that we drew a line of sand and extended our protection to what's left of Lai Ang. We are glad that the Government has finally seen reason on this vital issue of international security.

Less encouraging: yet another ludicrously lopsided election result. Even with a fair, proportional representation system, the Capitolino would still enjoy a commanding majority in the National Assembly. What are they so afraid of?

Further dismal news— the Jacobin uprising in French Iberia has been crushed, utterly, by the royalist military.

May the arrow of Artemis sail straight into their hearts.

The tree of liberty cannot grow without the blood of patriots and tyrants. Whether shed by bullet, cannon, or bayonet, sabre, grenade, or hiratine— let it flow.

France is surrounded by powerful enemies. Their only ally of consequence— Russia— has proven itself little more than a paper tigre.

The Victorian League has taken the small nations of Europe into its protection, and will brook no more aggression against them or their people.

We recognize that the wheels of progress must be oiled with reform, lest they grind the common folk into dust to line the pockets of self-serving aristo pigs.

And... whatever problems we might have with the current government, we can say that they preside over a civilized, elected government with the full Mandate of the People at their back.

Even on the distant shores of Avalon, the struggle for liberty advances by great strides with every passing day.

War is coming again, very soon.

But if there is one thing Georgiana Sapoutizakis does well (and we grudgingly admit that there are, in fact, several thinsg she does well), it is play the Great Game.

France is on the backfoot, seeking to delay war at any cost. They know that the deathblow is coming.

Soon, Scandinavia will be evicted from the Continent.

The cause of liberty will have setbacks, to be sure.

Do the Machine Dukes and Élisabeth seek to use the element of surprise against us by declaring war on the League whilst our forces were engaged in Scandinavia? What folly! With our total naval control of the North Atlantic, moving our forces back to the continent is trivial.

We were ready for this. We were ready for anything.

The only thing surprising about the French declaration of war is that they'd be foolish enough to force armed conflict when we are in such a position of strength.

And we are just one member of the most powerful league of states the Near West has seen since the League of Hungary broke the back of the Ming Frontier army.

There is absolutely nothing France can do that could surprise the Third Victorian League.

EMPRESS ZHU CHUNMEI II OF CHINA

WORLD MAP, 1855

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I find it amazing that one can get Valencia to Singapore on foot and only cross national borders twice, into and out of Byzantium.

Also, I hope the Krakow Republic retains its amazing name from real life.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

...Eh. China's army isn't really that remarkable. And it has to get it all the way to Europe.

Zero grinder
Sep 25, 2010
Fun Shoe
Sweet Jesus. :stare:

I hope you have enough men to hold the oncoming tide.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Well. This can't be good.

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

Zero grinder posted:

Sweet Jesus. :stare:

I hope you have enough men to hold the oncoming tide.

Nobody has enough men.

In a test game I once held the Caucasus mountains against the Chinese for three bloody years. In the end I almost ran out of manpower despite winning virtually every single battle.

But regardless I can't wait for the next update! :D

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Hahahahahaha!

Rubix Squid posted:

Well. This can't be good.

:omarcomin:

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
This is what we've been waiting for since the Victoria segment started :getin:

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Gentlemen, we are probably going to lose. But if we are victorious, then we shall stand as the greatest power of all the world!

Jalak
Nov 23, 2013

NewMars posted:

Gentlemen, we are probably going to lose. But if we are victorious, then we shall stand as the greatest power of all the world!

A victorious, glorious nation most likely left with a crippled manpower, economy and industry base by the end of it. I don't think any peace treaty is going to out-shine the sheer slaughter and political upheaval that is sure to precede this (unless the ai just white peaces out for no reason or something).

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I for one am not afraid of this ridiculous Chinese tyrant. Much like the Russians, her forces will prove to be nothing but a paper tiger. We ought to use this opportunity to teach the monarchists a lesson. I say that we march our forces to Beijing and seize the Summer Palace. Let's not hide shamefully behind mountains but charge the enemy in an open field. Our armies hardly even need to rely on geography.

Use any resources necessary to assure victory and do not be afraid to lose a few soldiers. The symbolic value of victory against unenlightened forces is worth any cost.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
Hopefully it takes a long time for China to mobilize an army and send it halfway around the world. In the mean time, we should coordinate with the Germans and crush France utterly before the Chinese arrive.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
East Hindustan is involved in this war, so hopefully that'll keep the Chinese occupied for long enough for our boys to get into position.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Ah, I do not relish the thought of Chinese soldiers on the walls of the Queen of Cities! I tell you though: it is necessary! Your republic of butchery and godlessness has been an abomination since its foundation and now the world is finally righting itself, what was sown so long ago by the traitor Sallejar will finally and righteously be reaped!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
So, what is up with Scandinavia? It's just kinda sitting up there with its coherent borders not doing much, what's its deal?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

GunnerJ posted:

So, what is up with Scandinavia? It's just kinda sitting up there with its coherent borders not doing much, what's its deal?

It's gradually being pushed out of mainland Europe by the HRE and friends. Right before this war with France started, the HRE and I were in a war to force Scandinavia to give Hanover to the HRE, and Britain has its own separate war, ostensibly on behalf of Schleswig-Holstein, where they've decided to try to force Scandinavia to release Denmark (who, remember, are the ones the ones who formed Scandinavia in the first place!)

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Is it Deluge time again already?

Erwin the German posted:

East Hindustan is involved in this war, so hopefully that'll keep the Chinese occupied for long enough for our boys to get into position.

Don't forget our sister republics of Azerbaijan and Iran! They'll also be getting horribly mauled by the Chinese Dragon.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I hardly think the Chinese army is a threat. In fact, we ought to just concentrate on the European theatre. Deploy any forces guarding the eastern border to France and ignore any actions undertaken by Her Radiant Highness. The Chinese are a peace-loving people and will only target those deserving of retribution.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 10, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

QuoProQuid posted:

I hardly think the Chinese army is a threat. In fact, we ought to just concentrate on the European theatre. Deploy any forces guarding the eastern border to France and ignore any actions undertaken by Her Radiant Highness. The Chinese are a peace-loving people and will only target those deserving of retribution.
Ironically, this might be the right thing to do. If we just wait for China to roll up on us, then we'll be stuck in a grinding fight that we will feel the effects of years later, whether the war is won or lost. Meanwhile, if we make a lightning strike towards France, we might compel them to sue for peace before China does too much.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
:stonklol:
This is gonna leave a mark...

JT Jag posted:

Ironically, this might be the right thing to do. If we just wait for China to roll up on us, then we'll be stuck in a grinding fight that we will feel the effects of years later, whether the war is won or lost. Meanwhile, if we make a lightning strike towards France, we might compel them to sue for peace before China does too much.

This is sounding like a SUSPICIOUSLY German plan. Lightning strike in to France, force them to sue for peace before a titanic eastern neighbor starts marching on our doorsteps? Maybe if we avoid stomping through any neutral nations...

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

StrifeHira posted:

This is sounding like a SUSPICIOUSLY German plan. Lightning strike in to France, force them to sue for peace before a titanic eastern neighbor starts marching on our doorsteps? Maybe if we avoid stomping through any neutral nations...
We didn't start the war, and its conditions are not favorable to us. So I doubt we'd make the mistake of trying to reclaim historical Roman lands or whatever the parallel would be. Not the right situation. If we can get France to accept a white peace before China gets to our borders, I'd take it.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
We know it's possible to get after France, while China could very well be a black hole. The AI isn't smart enough to realize they can wait you out and it shouldn't be impossible to get a decent offer out of France.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

JT Jag posted:

We didn't start the war, and its conditions are not favorable to us. So I doubt we'd make the mistake of trying to reclaim historical Roman lands or whatever the parallel would be. Not the right situation. If we can get France to accept a white peace before China gets to our borders, I'd take it.

Well, if it's White Peace as the goal I'd say it's more acceptable. And I'd guess out China is certainly more capable of force projection than OTL Imperial Russia's showing at the dawn of the 20th century...

Rince, China's the now-leader in the war, correct? Because of its higher status as a Great Power?

Cestrian
Nov 5, 2011
I like how our previous plan, involved beating up the russians quickly so we didn't have to face france's larger armies.

And now we have to beat up France so we don't have to face china's larger armies.

The obvious next step will be a war where we have to take china out quickly to avoid the martians and their doom stacks.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

StrifeHira posted:

Rince, China's the now-leader in the war, correct? Because of its higher status as a Great Power?

The warleader thing is probably going to be what makes or breaks this war. I've never quite grasped the logic behind it (I've seen some occurrences where somebody smaller kept the leader status for some reason), but if China does take over, things will get rough. The AI needs to take a beating before they even consider giving up or even taking a white peace, so China would be knocking on our door with a battering ram if they are the warleader. And if we have China as our main enemy, we can't peace France out separately since they're the one with the only wargoal on their side. AFAIK, that's how that works.

On the other hand, if France leads, we can do the Blitzkrieg thing and force a white peace fairly quickly by rolling over them with everything we've got while China slowly makes its way to our doorstep like it's the loving Blob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
:munch:

• Locked thread