Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Safety Dance posted:

That math doesn't work out for a non-obvious reason, but it's close enough.

I do the math properly on long drives when I'm bored. Then I calculate how much time each mph increase saves me. And if I'm stuck at a light, I calculate how much time I spend sitting at red lights per year (there was one messed up light that always caught me on the way home from work at midnight with no other traffic and wouldn't change until it went through its full cycle that cost me four hours per year).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
http://www.kctv5.com/story/27791661/semi-truck-drags-minivan-16-miles-on-mi-highway

Idiots in a minivan driving too fast for conditions rearend a semi truck, the driver doesn't notice. Continues to drive for 16 miles with the minivan stuck to the underrun bar before the police flagged him down.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwsCIg_6tcM

e: If I had known that I would have to explain why a motorcycle passing at 90 on the right on a populated interstate was a bad thing, I wouldn't have posted the video. I'm going to say my piece and let it be.

I was in the right lane as I approached the interstate.
I saw a long line of cars on the entry ramp ready to enter the interstate. Deep behind those cars is the black crotch rocket.
People here tend to merge at 45, so I moved to the left lane, still at 65.
I pass several of the cars which had already merged. At this time, I may have been over 100 yards ahead of the motorcycle.
Here the video starts. Merge lane ends, there are two cars ahead of me on the right. I'm still going faster than them so I keep my place in the left lane to complete the pass (not all passes need to be dramatic).
I saw something move in my mirror, and I look in time to see the motorcycle speeding past me on the right.

Why were you going so slow?
I was going 65, the posted speed limit for the area. At that speed, I was still going faster than the cars ahead of me. Why not faster? Because it's not uncommon for hwy patrol to sit around the corner looking for speeders.

Why were you in the left lane?
I already said, I moved over to make room for cars entering the interstate. I was passing them before the video started, and I was continuing to pass the cars ahead of me.

Why didn't you move over to that huge space on the right?
Two reasons. I already said one, that I was going faster than the cars ahead of me and that I was going to continue to pass them. I was passing slower traffic and continuing to pass more.
Second reason: by the time I saw the motorcycle, it was too late. I couldn't move over because he had already gotten into the lane.

Why are you so butthurt about it?
Risk your own life, I don't care. Risk my life and you piss me off.

but you weren't in danger
Eat me.

JukeboxHerostratus fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jan 10, 2015

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
He's going fast but you're kinda going slow.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Solid pass

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

I was going 65, speed limit for that stretch of road. I was on the left to let traffic in from the on ramp I had just passed.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Horse Divorce posted:

I was going 65, speed limit for that stretch of road. I was on the left to let traffic in from the on ramp I had just passed.

Exactly, too slow. That was a fine pass for a bike, relax.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

nevermind, life's too short.

JukeboxHerostratus fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 10, 2015

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Horse Divorce posted:

nevermind, life's too short.

Especially for riders like that. :dance:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Horse Divorce posted:

Something wrong with your ability to get back in that huge opening?

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

e:goddammit i said i wasnt going to do it. fucl.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Horse Divorce posted:

Things like the biker that was going to be there in less than half a second?

He wouldn't have had to go around you on the right if you were on the right...

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Horse Divorce posted:

Just remember that when bikers do stupid poo poo around you their fatal mistake is your mild inconvenience

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

nsaP posted:

Solid pass

Too bad he had to pass on the right (unless that is one of THOSE countries...)!

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9fI5M6_XVk

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I've been hearing about this all day while driving the first leg of my Miami -> Chicago trip. Terribly tragic.

This is the part from what I'd specifically heard about the pileup:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Qdeke9MFGI

:stare::hf::toot:

I was stuck in a 1-hour backup myself tonight along I-75 NB just North of Marietta, Georgia; apparently a teenager had been hit by a semi truck while helping their dad change a flat tire on the side of the road.

Travel safe out there, goons.

e: just watched the first video in its entirety, JFC that is horrifying.

NoWake fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jan 10, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's why the smart states out west will close their interstates if it gets bad. Both Wyoming and Montana have big railroad crossing style blockers they'll use to tell people to get the gently caress off the road, and it's against the law to continue driving on them.

Those precautions disappear once you get east of those states though.. not sure why. The midwest is famous for poo poo visibility when wind kicks up snow.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

El Jebus posted:

Too bad he had to pass on the right (unless that is one of THOSE countries...)!

Completely acceptable when someone is doing the speed limit in the left lane

If you see a rider coming up on you like that, just keep doing what you're doing and it'll be fine

nsaP fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jan 10, 2015

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

xzzy posted:

That's why the smart states out west will close their interstates if it gets bad. Both Wyoming and Montana have big railroad crossing style blockers they'll use to tell people to get the gently caress off the road, and it's against the law to continue driving on them.

Those gates are only on passes and basically never down. Pretty much only if the are doing avalanche control and/or a slide covers the road. Definitely wouldn't have closures for those conditions.

jamal fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jan 10, 2015

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Just remember that when bikers do stupid poo poo around you their fatal mistake is your mild inconvenience fault.

Fixed.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Dumb-asses are dumb-asses regardless of the vehicle they drive. Car or bike.

But if a rider posted up every instance of a car being a dumbass like that bike video, you'd get 10 or 15 videos a ride. At least. There might be some loudly complaining riders, but for every 1 of them there are 100 dudes who see bullshit daily and let it slide. If you took offense to every dummy you'd be exhausted, better to just write them off and move on.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

This is crazy video. How terrible. :(

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jan 4, 2020

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Crotch Fruit posted:

Unlike you, I live in a state with well designed and maintained roads where the cops actually do their jobs. :haw: The roads are well laid since it's a barren wasteland with too much extra space, rush hour lasts 20 minutes, and the largest snowstorms usually deposit only about 6" which never creates pot holes. Despite all that, I still hate Kansas.

Let's be honest, if I saw your toilet Jeep rolling down the road I would ticket the poo poo out of that rolling road hazard.

What rich rear end county do you live in? I sold a lowered vehicle straight up because the roads here are so bad it's impossible to drive without destroying my spine. And holy poo poo the highways outside of the turnpike.

Drive in Florida. Come back to Kansas. You'll want to kill yourself.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Michael Scott posted:

This is crazy video. How terrible. :(

It sure was terrible. Jerk needs to learn how to hold a phone when he's recording a tragedy in progress.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Oh my loving god, this loving lady.

I was driving a few cars for my new job as a Porter/Car Detailer for Enterprise (car rental agency, in case you guys don't know) and we're on a major route, which, for those of you who don't know what Ogden Avenue is in the Chicagoland area, is a four lane road with a middle left turn lane. This lady in a big-rear end obnoxious Cadillac, not the, y'know, sporty fun kind of Cadillac but the kind of Cadillac that says, "i like driving landboats that handle like trash because i hate feeling even the smallest bump" stops in the middle of the lane heading west, chatting merrily away on her phone, and turns her left turn signal on. This would normally be fine, except she wasn't anywhere near the drat left turn lane, and was blocking an entire lane of traffic. At Rush Hour. On a Friday.

I was trying to make a left into the branch I work at, but with one lane of traffic blocked and the other a near-constant stream of cars due to this one stupid bitch not understanding the concept of the left turn lane, I was unable to until FINALLY, the two lanes of traffic on my right hand side cleared up enough so that she could zip right along her merry way into the quite nice car wash/car detailing place right across the street. I know this seems extreme, but I honestly hope that woman just dies. People who drive like loving idiots like that make me wish I had a rocket launcher ontop of my goddamn car, or at least a bullhorn to bellow obscenities at them until they fixed themselves.

But still not as bad as Norfolk, Virginia.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

EbolaIvory posted:

What rich rear end county do you live in? I sold a lowered vehicle straight up because the roads here are so bad it's impossible to drive without destroying my spine. And holy poo poo the highways outside of the turnpike.

Drive in Florida. Come back to Kansas. You'll want to kill yourself.

Sedgwick County, and you? The roads here are pretty decent, some areas really suck, like older lower income neighborhoods are terrible. The roads are still better than Massachusetts.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Solar Coaster posted:

This. I commute to work at 6:20am and it's still fairly dark out. My commute (lucky me) is only 7.5mi long. Forget driving around with DRLs on, I see at least 2 or 3 cars a day driving around without any lights on. Most of these cars are silver or some kind of dark color so it makes it extra hard to see them in time on the road. It never ceases to amaze me that people think this is OK and continue to drive like that.

Today for example, I was driving in the tail end of a major thunderstorm we had last night, so it was still raining quite heavily. Sure enough, saw 3 cars without any lights on, in the dark, in the heavy rain.

Every. Single. Day. Except it's 6:20pm on the way home.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

PCOS Bill posted:

I live in PA. The highways are generally 50MPH or 55MPH unless you're on an interstate/the turnpike. 95 is just barely passing people when it isn't time for traffic to back up.

If you're within 10 miles of Philly, there is always someone doing 40 on the interstate. And about half the time you will either see a car broken down in the middle lane, or on fire. It amazes me that they even got onto the road as there is no such thing as a merge zone, as the onramps pretty much hit the interstate at a 90 degree angle.

And god help you if you're near Scranton and its raining. What little paint there is to denote the lanes completely disappears in the wet. Although they did just redo a pretty big portion of 84 between Scranton and New York, which is nice.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
First real snowstorm in my part of Sweden this winter season, I get on the balcony and enjoy the view. A tall fully loaded 5ton++ open-bed truck sanding the un-plown roads (wtf) flies past near twice the 40kph limit (perfectly reasonable limit down this road), quickly eating the rear end of a Volvo that floors it in panic trying to get away, then they disappear in a curve. It finishes its route and comes by again for the opposite lane at far past safe limits, braking hard as to not slam into the carefully legally driving car ahead.

Unless it has a functional cannon, live rounds and a crew, a tank won't keep you safe on our roads.
(The company handling sanding and plowing has been contacted about the insane fuckhead of a driver they have for this area)

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Only one fatality (a truck driver from Ottawa :( ) and 16 hospitalizations. Modern car and truck safety systems and designs are loving amazing.

One of the trucks was carrying hazmat so they evacuated the area

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

jamal posted:

Those gates are only on passes and basically never down. Pretty much only if the are doing avalanche control and/or a slide covers the road. Definitely wouldn't have closures for those conditions.

Not in Wyoming, their entire run of i-90 is rigged to be shut down if they want to.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 224 days!)

xzzy posted:

Not in Wyoming, their entire run of i-90 is rigged to be shut down if they want to.

.. Montana is another story. It seems to take a fatality.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Shifty Pony posted:

Only one fatality (a truck driver from Ottawa :( ) and 16 hospitalizations. Modern car and truck safety systems and designs are loving amazing.

One of the trucks was carrying hazmat so they evacuated the area

44000 pounds of fumic acid.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Extra posted:

stud your tires if it's legal in your state tia

Driving slow and ABS are nice but they don't prevent loss of tire traction on ice when decelerating.

There appears to be some traction. Even one of the semis seen at the end stopped. Proper tires (modern studless tires are pretty amazing) and not going so loving fast would have done a lot there.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
So I go out to check my tyres and fluids and maybe buff out the last scratch a bit..

Another nice big patch of paint, somehow looks less hosed in the picture than it does in real life. Fucks sake.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Other drivers in parking lots make me so glad I mostly have 500 dollar beater offroad trucks with 1/4 inch thick steel bumpers :smuggo:

If someone else runs into my poo poo in a parking lot like that, I don't care if they leave a note because they lost anyways.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

At least one of these drivers brags on the internet about knowing how to drive on snow and complains about people who drive too slowly.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Crotch Fruit posted:

Sedgwick County, and you? The roads here are pretty decent, some areas really suck, like older lower income neighborhoods are terrible. The roads are still better than Massachusetts.

I'm through KC to topeka to Manhattan. Shawnee is pretty hosed. Lawrence is livable in town but once you leave mass or main drags it goes to poo poo. KC is pretty drat bad everywhere outside of shopping districts. Turnpikes good and some of the highways are perfectly fine. But all around its non stop suspension bottom outs.

Just seems the whole state is pretty bad. There's worst but it ain't pretty here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

EbolaIvory posted:

I'm through KC to topeka to Manhattan. Shawnee is pretty hosed. Lawrence is livable in town but once you leave mass or main drags it goes to poo poo. KC is pretty drat bad everywhere outside of shopping districts. Turnpikes good and some of the highways are perfectly fine. But all around its non stop suspension bottom outs.

Just seems the whole state is pretty bad. There's worst but it ain't pretty here.

My last trip to KC I remember I-35 near KC being quite rough, it was warshboarded like a dirt road that needs graded. It was particularly terrible to drive on if you don't mind a free back massage but I just don't understand how asphalt could get like that. Otherwise, I kinda like most of the Kansas highways until you get to all the 50s era cloverleafs. I can tolerate cloverleafs in town since traffic is slower, but at I-135 to I-70 is just stupid.

All I really remember about KC is Worlds of Fun sucked balls, Snoopy is too old and the wooden roller coasters are booting yet terrifying since they feel like they are going to fall apart at any second.