Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Hace posted:

Man, why would anybody watch a fuckin 3 hour run of Mario RPG

Because they don't know Tetris is on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hace posted:

dunno

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Zurreco posted:

Big drink ready, Dungeons of Dredmore to slog through in the background, 3 hours to kill.

Let's do this.

Make sure to pick up archeology, it belongs in a museum is game breaking.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Gimnbo posted:

Because they don't know Tetris is on.

http://www.twitch.tv/kevinddr

Yeah, if you don't wanna watch mario this is a pro stream.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

Hace posted:

cause its good

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

Tracula posted:

Super Mario RPG is the game that most needs a remake on 3DS or whatever platform.

Would there be copyright issues with Square-Enix, or would they be open to working on it?

I've never played the original so I'd totally buy it if it happened though.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Does iateyourpie still shill for donations all the time

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Tracula posted:

Super Mario RPG is the game that most needs a remake on 3DS or whatever platform.

Or for Nintendo to stop bullshitting and bring SNES games to the 3DS Virtual Console.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Rorus Raz posted:

No offense to your friend, but it's more that any run lasting longer than 2 hours is going to have to really wow me to keep my attention.

I love Mario RPG, and I wouldn't be surprised if I bail on this thing halfway through.

Yeah, I kinda feel that. I think KH keeps tempo and is interesting for a lot of it but then again I was sat next to a physical person and could talk to them about the game.

also I want KH2 HD to win because I lose my poo poo everytime at the fact the loading times are so crap on the english version that you have to pause the game on activating a drive form in order to make it safe because otherwise it takes so long to load in that you can get bopped for it. That poo poo is hilarious to me for some reason.

theultimo posted:

Make sure to pick up archeology, it belongs in a museum is game breaking.

It used to be pretty broken in the initial release of the game but I'm pretty sure it got nerfed or something in subsequent patches.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

DARPA Dad posted:

cause its good

I bet it is, but it aint fun to watch

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

SWMadness posted:

Would there be copyright issues with Square-Enix, or would they be open to working on it?

I've never played the original so I'd totally buy it if it happened though.
Geno made a cameo in Mario & Luigi, and the game is on the Wii virtual console. I assume a remake wouldn't have legal hurdles.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I know it's going to go over like a lead balloon here because it's vaguely anime and vaguely a JRPG but come on guys give it a chance.

If Kingdom Hearts is only "vaguely anime", I am sincerely curious about what you'd call "intensely anime". Xenosaga?

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

Hace posted:

I watched the six-hour run of FFVI from last year's stream!

Granted, it was after the fact and stretched out over about thirty minute sessions for about a week, but STILL.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Gamma Nerd posted:

If Kingdom Hearts is only "vaguely anime", I am sincerely curious about what you'd call "intensely anime". Xenosaga?

KH is half-Disney which is like the antithesis of anime so it sort of cancels out in the middle and becomes neutral ground to my mind.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
anime was an attempt to emulate the disney style to begin with

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Rorus Raz posted:

Geno made a cameo in Mario & Luigi, and the game is on the Wii virtual console. I assume a remake wouldn't have legal hurdles.

the Geno cameo necessitated a callout to Square-Enix in the credits of M&L.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

seriously there is something about SMRPG that I can’t put into words

It’s such a great, true to form Hero’s Journey type of story that Squaresoft was brilliant at telling back in the 90’s. I love it when tropes are used straight and it just all works together, there’s so muc love in this game. You could tell there was a passion and a vision behind it and everyone was having fun.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
I don't remember if I said it in here or The Dastardly Imp Zone but Mario RPG is a much cooler RPG to watch speedruns of than like almost every other one because its way more execution heavy with overworld movement and battles and stuff. I've never watched the guy that's up now but My Pal Cyghfer used to run it all the time and it was fun, if you were in the mood to watch a longer speedrun.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Gamma Nerd posted:

anime was an attempt to emulate the disney style to begin with

Let's please not get into a debate about meta-anime.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

Anime Curator posted:

seriously there is something about SMRPG that I can’t put into words

It’s such a great, true to form Hero’s Journey type of story that Squaresoft was brilliant at telling back in the 90’s. I love it when tropes are used straight and it just all works together, there’s so muc love in this game. You could tell there was a passion and a vision behind it and everyone was having fun.

I really adore the writing in the Paper Mario games after it, and what you describe is one of the reasons why I defend Super Paper Mario even if the gameplay itself gets a little tedious at times. Passion behind any project makes it a million times better.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

SWMadness posted:

I really adore the writing in the Paper Mario games after it, and what you describe is one of the reasons why I defend Super Paper Mario even if the gameplay itself gets a little tedious at times. Passion behind any project makes it a million times better.

You had your prince who doesn’t know he’s a prince, you had your silent protagonist, you had the tough guy who is a bit of a softie, you had mystical spaceman from the heavens! It was almost like a parody of squaresoft games but it worked beautifully as a story itself!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

All the Mario RPGs are pretty fun. Mario & Luigi are really awesome, with 3 and 1 being the best (you could probably skip 2 if you wanted). But if you play just one, it has to be Bowser's Inside Story. If you enjoyed the writing for Bowser in Seven Stars, then you will love BIS :allears:

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
I remember verifying the SDA run for SMRPG and pointing out that Mack was skippable. Everyone got super pissed that it wasn't feasible for a non-TAS due to level discrepancies and that suggesting it was a huge insult to the runner. Glad to see that is became a commonplace tactic for speedruns.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

Zurreco posted:

I remember verifying the SDA run for SMRPG and pointing out that Mack was skippable. Everyone got super pissed that it wasn't feasible for a non-TAS due to level discrepancies and that suggesting it was a huge insult to the runner. Glad to see that is became a commonplace tactic for speedruns.

I'm always impressed how stuff discovered in TAS exploration and runs can feed into real-time speed runs and completely change routes and strategies over time.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I just had to donate another $10 both for that Dodo plushie and in support of Super Mario RPG. The memories are flooding back. :allears:

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Discussing bathroom break strats. I guess this is what happens in a 3 hour run.

edit: also this boss music is my jam

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

If we got rid of Sunshine, you almost call this the Yoko Shimomura block.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Rorus Raz posted:

If we got rid of Sunshine, you almost call this the Yoko Shimomura block.

Or the Legitimately Good Games block.

e: Who is the third guy on the couch? He looks really familiar.

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

​ Creative New Content Weekly

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!
Just donated another 10 for the Dodo plush. Hope I can get it either through this or the original artist, because I seriously need this plush of the best character in the game.

EDIT:

And on a side note, I dislike the forest maze and Moleville (Geno excluded). the former and latter halves of worlds 2 and 3 are great, though.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.

Zurreco posted:

Or the Legitimately Good Games block.

e: Who is the third guy on the couch? He looks really familiar.

That's cyghfer, I believe he's ran this game, and has the WR in a bunch of random stuff, including some of the classic Mega Mans.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

goldjas posted:

That's cyghfer, I believe he's ran this game, and has the WR in a bunch of random stuff, including some of the classic Mega Mans.

Oh, right. I think I know him from SM64.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
This started happening in the area outside the stream room right as the Mario RPG run began:

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!

Musical_Daredevil posted:

This started happening in the area outside the stream room right as the Mario RPG run began:

Accordion Man 2: The Trumpeting

EDIT: Tromboning... Ugh...

JesseHechtCREATIVE fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 10, 2015

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

PRO MINECART STRATS

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Wicked mine carting. Time to get sucked into a game with friends though :(

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Zorglorfian posted:

Accordion Man 2: The Trumpeting
You have all of the trombone puns in the universe to use, and you call it a trumpet? Not impressed.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
OHHHHHHH

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I went ahead and chipped in five for that sub 2 minute ride.

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!
Trumpet immediately came to mind... Eh.

Now for the best level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Rorus Raz posted:

I went ahead and chipped in five for that sub 2 minute ride.

You and all these other people with cojones https://gamesdonequick.com/tracker/donations/12

• Locked thread