Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
You might actually learn something from the British Kitchen Nightmares, whereas the US version is a textbook scrub-tier reality show with formulaic plots and ultra drama sound queues created as an assault on attention spans greater than 10 seconds.

Kaiser Blade Sling Blade - I actually saw the short film this was expanded from on some late-night PBS show many moons ago but I still wasn't quite sure what to expect. If you ever wondered how Billy Bob Thornton got a career, this movie is a large part why (he wrote, directed, and stars in it). I think I was most surprised by how funny it was. It's not exactly a comedy, but more funny in a William Faulkner sort of way. Although the plot doesn't have any major surprises the performances are very good and the music is fairly haunting at times. If you liked Rectify or Mud I would recommend it; I think both of those owe a bit to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

david_a posted:

Kaiser Blade Sling Blade - I actually saw the short film this was expanded from on some late-night PBS show many moons ago but I still wasn't quite sure what to expect. If you ever wondered how Billy Bob Thornton got a career, this movie is a large part why (he wrote, directed, and stars in it). I think I was most surprised by how funny it was. It's not exactly a comedy, but more funny in a William Faulkner sort of way. Although the plot doesn't have any major surprises the performances are very good and the music is fairly haunting at times. If you liked Rectify or Mud I would recommend it; I think both of those owe a bit to it.

Yup it's funny but not ha ha funny. Mm hmm.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

GonSmithe posted:

British Kitchen Nightmares has the bonus of Gordon narrating the show, which he has a fantastic voice for.
Yes, he still curses a lot, and is a dick, but in his British shows it's much more constructed criticism than his American character. The episode with the Jamaican (I think?) restaurant in UK Kitchen Nightmares really shows this off.

It's the Soul Food restaurant. Season 2 Episode 3 (probably the best ep of the whole show).

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Lagomorphic posted:

Yup it's funny but not ha ha funny. Mm hmm.

So you'd say it's funny queer?

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

david_a posted:

It was a great movie. I was actually surprised by the plot, because I thought letting Billy Bob out of the crazy house was a bad idea, but I was shown the error of my ways. Billy Bob owns in this, and so does the kid who went on to play "guy from the South" in a bunch of movies.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

david_a posted:

You might actually learn something from the British Kitchen Nightmares, whereas the US version is a textbook scrub-tier reality show with formulaic plots and ultra drama sound queues created as an assault on attention spans greater than 10 seconds.

Yeah, can't recommend it enough.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011

NESguerilla posted:

The thing that is so off putting about most food contests is how overly serious/catty they are and the judges are always arrogant turds. Cutthroat Kitchen just seems like people having a good time, and the premise as well as Alton Brown are actually pretty funny. Even if it is edited to be more dramatic than it actually is sometimes. Even when people are insulting each other you can tell they are just loving around 90% of the time.

That why, even thought the US version of Masterchef is kinda terrible, I love Masterchef Jr. The kids aren't interested in any of the usual reality TV poo poo and are just there to have fun and learn something about cooking. Also, Gordon is adorable around kids.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Cocoa Ninja posted:

I agree. Bourdain has said that he's a huge film buff and tries to make each episode an homage to a different film or director.
People love Bourdain, but he always seems more like an embarrassing uncle to me. He did the entire Rome episode in black and white with selective colorization. ART

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

You guys should watch Mind of a Chef. Season one is amazing. I haven't watched season two yet but I've heard it's pretty good.

Here's a scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikr5wVxzpjk&hd=1

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Anne Whateley posted:

People love Bourdain, but he always seems more like an embarrassing uncle to me. He did the entire Rome episode in black and white with selective colorization. ART

Being an embarrassing uncle is part of his appeal. One of my favorite things about Bourdain is how he will use and abuse the term expat every single chance he gets. Its just goofy how much he seems to love saying it.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I'm Anthony Bourdain, watch as I endlessly bemoan fast food, then go to a greasy spoon and order grilled cheese that looks like it was cooked on an engine block by a garbage monster and proclaim it culinary perfection.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Haha, he looks like the kind of guy that has crazy metabolism and can eat anything though.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
I guess he used to be a snob during the kitchen confidential era, since a lot of people say that, but there's none of that attitude in parts unknown. If anything he tries to take stuffy Fine Dining down a peg.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

First Cloak and Dagger now D.A.R.Y.L.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6ziA2n1OT0

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
The Almighty Johnsons is up on netflix now. It's a 'comedy' about a dude who finds out he's Odin form Norse mythology, all his family are also gods, and he's gotta shag up with Frigga for some prophecy. I'm struggling to think of something good to say about it, but I can't stop watching this show. Why does this show have its hooks in me so? I think all the characters are just charming maybe?

Also god bless New Zealand tv for allowing full frontal.

Leper Residue fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jan 10, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well it looks like now the extended director's cut of Nymphomaniac has been added. Someone tell me if the added stuff is worth watching.

Also, kind of laughing at the idea of a "director's cut" of a LvT film. As if he didn't have final cut the whole time? I guess this is more of an "I changed my mind, those scenes should have been there all along" deal.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Leper Residue posted:

The Almighty Johnsons is up on netflix now. It's a 'comedy' about a dude who finds out he's Odin form Norse mythology, all his family are also gods, and he's gotta shag up with Frigga for some prophecy. I'm struggling to think of something good to say about it, but I can't stop watching this show. Why does this show have its hooks in me so? I think all the characters are just charming maybe?

Also god bless New Zealand tv for allowing full frontal.

The show is hella rape-y though. Like, one of the main characters is basically the god of date-rape and also situations like "oh, you made that girl gently caress the creepy guy with your powers and without her consent? lol" type of stuff.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

precision posted:

Well it looks like now the extended director's cut of Nymphomaniac has been added. Someone tell me if the added stuff is worth watching.

Also, kind of laughing at the idea of a "director's cut" of a LvT film. As if he didn't have final cut the whole time? I guess this is more of an "I changed my mind, those scenes should have been there all along" deal.
IIRC, the original movie was supposed to be much longer and the studio told him that he had to cut it down. I think I heard something about Lars von Trier being so distraught about it that he had someone else make the cuts. So the Director's Cut is his original vision or whatever.

At any rate, pretty curious, probably going to check it out.

EDIT: Apparently changes include more scenes in Jerome's chapter, more scenes of Joe talking, an extension of the train scene, an extension of the threesome scene, and the inclusion of an abortion scene. http://www.praguepost.com/cinema/41718-movie-review-nymphomaniac-volumes-i-and-ii-director-s-cut

Akarshi fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 10, 2015

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I was looking at reviews of Star Trek: Enterprise to see what kind of person would rate it highly and came across a gem:

a crazy person posted:

As someone who believes that there are literally trillions of inhabited planets out there in the cosmic playground of outer space and that much about their origins and destiny (as well as those pertaining to our own planet) have been revealed and documented within the last century in a series of 196 Papers known collectively as The Urantia Papers (or The Urantia Book) that were authored by various Beings-Not-Of-This-Realm who were commissioned to bestow this epochal revelation upon our planet including translating it into the English language (since English is not the native tongue of either our local universe of Nebadon or our superuniverse of Orvonton or of the Paradise-Havona Central Universe of Divine Perfection which is the dwelling place of the eternal God and around which everything else and everyone else revolves in accordance with the superuniverse plans of evolutionary progress and spiritual attainment), I was predictably pleased to watch a TV series that to me asked: Are we really all alone in the universe of universes with this vast enormity of wasted space encircling us like lifeless set decoration or are we rather a part of some gigantic undertaking that is fusing perfection and imperfection and blending science and religion into one creatively unfolding project that is beyond our mortal comprehension to fully fathom and that involves other living beings on other inhabited planets who are in the truest sense, our cosmic cousins? So when I gaze into the starry heavens at the countless suns of space, I marvel at how seemingly insignificant it would superficially appear that our planet is and yet just as many movies highlight the important role that faith plays whether in regards to believing in a Higher Power or believing in the existence of alien beings far removed from our galactic proximity, I do have faith that our sphere (Urantia) is just as precisely administered and just as lovingly fostered as if it were the only inhabited world in all existence.

2 out of 3 members found this review helpful

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
More reviews should be a nice, tight two sentences.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

david_a posted:

Some Call It A Sling Blade is still up on Netflix.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Some Call It A Sling Blade is still up on Netflix.

I'm not seeing it. It's on YouTube, though. It's really just the first part of the movie so kind of redundant if you've seen it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Oh, I quickly glanced at my queue and it looked like it was still there. Should've clicked.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

computer parts posted:

Netflix still doesn't have the last 15 episodes or so.

I really don't know what the hell Netflix was doing with FMA:B. It had like half the series up, then it uploaded everything but the final 15 episodes for some insane reason. It must have been some weird licensing thing, like how only seasons 12-15 of Law and Order: SVU are up.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
What is the website that tells you the locations each movie is available on netflix?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
moreflicks.com

Although I've heard Netflix is getting tougher about this poo poo and have been shutting down proxies.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Baron von Eevl posted:

moreflicks.com

Although I've heard Netflix is getting tougher about this poo poo and have been shutting down proxies.

Netflix says that they aren't doing anything. But who knows, really.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
Ragnarok should be in fact titled "The Worst Archeologists".
Guest starring Snakes with Dog-Heads.

I still liked it.

Samfucius fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jan 11, 2015

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This is a silly question, but did Breaking Bad have all the F bombs when it aired? I'm re-watching it and there are quite few but I don't remember there being any on AMC when it aired.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

NESguerilla posted:

This is a silly question, but did Breaking Bad have all the F bombs when it aired? I'm re-watching it and there are quite few but I don't remember there being any on AMC when it aired.
I believe they were there and they weren't bleeped out, but instead the audio would be silent during the utterance of the word.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

I was pretty excited to see Automata after seeing the preview a few months ago, but I have to say it is pretty meh. It wasn't very focused and the acting was not good. I did like a lot of the designs even if it was mostly just styled after every Ridley Scott sci-fi movie ever.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Ten minutes into Falcon Rising and I can tell this is my kind of film.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Thanks for turning me on to Cutthroat Kitchen. seems like a perfect background show for MMOs or something.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Breaking Bad was allowed one uncensored gently caress per season actually. Otherwise, they wouldn't have been able to do I hosed Ted.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Proposition Joe posted:

Breaking Bad was allowed one uncensored gently caress per season actually. Otherwise, they wouldn't have been able to do I hosed Ted.

It was still dipped in broadcast. On the DVD / Netflix you can hear it.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Thanks for turning me on to Cutthroat Kitchen. seems like a perfect background show for MMOs or something.

Too bad Netflix only has the one season.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Whoa, old Robocop is up! This movie is seriously the best.

Also, Peter Weller taught for the classics dept at UCLA for a while (he might still, but I'm gone now, so I don't know). We grad students used to keep beer in the lounge fridge, right down from his office, and in the evenings, it was kinda right of passage to have a bit too much to drink and wander down to his office, and if he was there, thank him for his service to Detroit.

He was good-humored about it, though I only knew of one person who actually caught him in the office.

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 12, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I've been skimming this thread for a while now and finally went and watched Detention (2011) through Netflix. Haha holy poo poo what? This was a strange, dark, calmly frenetic teen time travel (not)slasher movie. Very fun. I loved the backstory vignettes - oh man. And the Canadian.

I really enjoyed it a lot,

So, thank you. Haha what a fuckin' weirdo movie.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Got a one month free DVD/Bluray trial and put Cavalry, Captain Phillips and Game of Thrones in my Q.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I'm Anthony Bourdain, watch as I endlessly bemoan fast food, then go to a greasy spoon and order grilled cheese that looks like it was cooked on an engine block by a garbage monster and proclaim it culinary perfection.

Its probably because I am a bit inebriated but I can't stop laughing at this. Also its a bit true.

• Locked thread