Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

88H88 thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Got my first test patch back.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

IOwnCalculus posted:

The only thing the car is missing is a ridiculous lumpy idle, which it will never really have.

They could do like Ford Racing an fiddle with the VVT at idle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT0aiAd7W2w

edit: just watched a couple videos with the i8 engine sound. That is impressively good.

edit 2: and I just learned that not only does the i8 have Active Sound Design in the interior, but one of the exhaust pipes is a dummy containing an EXTERIOR active Sound Design speaker: http://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=960956

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 9, 2015

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, one of my coworkers mentioned that, and it makes sense. No loving way can a car sound that good.

And unfortunately the engine never seemed to actually idle - either full tilt or off - so even with the lumpy VVT you wouldn't get it without some serious hacking.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

some texas redneck posted:

That's why I posted it. :v: I'd rather be able to laugh at a fuckup instead of kicking myself over it.

At least it was just fresh pizza sauce, not like a chinese master stock or anything.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

loving winter

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I assume someone from IDOT is getting kickbacks from a salt supply company this year. I've never seen so much salt all over everything before and I'm pretty sure even a deer would find my car too salty to lick at this point.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just got my first Android device and Jesus Christ it's worse than my computer with the little nagging issues already. gently caress.

[edit] recommend me some good apps (got torque already) I could use a few good racing/car games and whatever else is worth downloading that isn't crap.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 10, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I am eagerly awaiting the next markdown on this poo poo. When it's $5 a bottle I will buy it all

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

Darchangel posted:

They could do like Ford Racing an fiddle with the VVT at idle:

That's loving sick.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Quite A Tool posted:

That's loving sick.

:hawaaaafap:
Holy poo poo that sounds gooood

420 make boogers errday.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

leica posted:

Just got my first Android device and Jesus Christ it's worse than my computer with the little nagging issues already. gently caress.

[edit] recommend me some good apps (got torque already) I could use a few good racing/car games and whatever else is worth downloading that isn't crap.

Wait, you mean there is something other than awful app! ?!?!

I never get very into games, but definitely avoid shelling cash out for them, so no investment there. I used beyond pod for podcasts, free version was decent, but each update killed my settings and widget. Ymmv.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah only free games for me.

Could use a decent antivirus/malware/cleaner app, I downloaded Clean Master and it's more of an add for more loving apps.

And basically any advice to keep it from taking a poo poo and/or running too slow, it's a Galaxy Player.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

leica posted:

If you have a Samsung phone, get Nova Launcher. It fixes a lot of stability problems. aCar is the app to have if you want to know what you spend on maintenance and track fuel mileage. Simple Calendar Widget is great for letting you know what events are in your calendar. Racing Elements is a neat weather widget with cool F1 photos. Google Keep is great for making notes that sync to Chrome.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

leica posted:

Yeah only free games for me.

Could use a decent antivirus/malware/cleaner app, I downloaded Clean Master and it's more of an add for more loving apps.

And basically any advice to keep it from taking a poo poo and/or running too slow, it's a Galaxy Player.

I don't know much about those, but it is a samsung, and I've run samsung phones for a few years (not stock). Having said that, no need for malware stuff. You might look into nova launcher, as mentioned ^^^^, but I've never touched that myself.

Basically don't download poo poo apps, and you should be ok. The new launcher may actually help too.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
They canned our CTO today. Holy crap! I never thought I would be there long enough for them to finally push him out. For reference, he's the one who was drinking@ dinner after a conference and assaulted his underling. Now if the CEO would step down, this place might last longer then 6-9 months.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ssjonizuka posted:

Basically don't download poo poo apps, and you should be ok. The new launcher may actually help too.

That's the problem, knowing what apps are poo poo and which ones aren't.

Going with the Nova launcher, thanks.

[edit] gently caress, says my device isn't compatible with Nova.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 10, 2015

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

leica posted:

That's the problem, knowing what apps are poo poo and which ones aren't.

Going with the Nova launcher, thanks.

Odd, what phone did you buy?

If you're only installing things from the Google Play Store, you don't need an anti virus, and you no longer need task killers either. Beyond whatever social media apps, I have Awful, Kindle, Netflix, and Chrome, really. I don't really play games, it's web or media. I stored some movies in memory, so I have VLC too, in case the tablet battery dies while flying somewhere.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

So, I was loving around with a soldering iron and realized I have no clue what the gently caress I'm doing with one. I also got a nice burn on my finger when I grabbed to far up on the handle and wound up touching the 450 degree metal. I should not be allowed around anything that can cut or maim. :downs:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Alarbus posted:

Odd, what phone did you buy?

If you're only installing things from the Google Play Store, you don't need an anti virus, and you no longer need task killers either. Beyond whatever social media apps, I have Awful, Kindle, Netflix, and Chrome, really. I don't really play games, it's web or media. I stored some movies in memory, so I have VLC too, in case the tablet battery dies while flying somewhere.

Not a phone, it's a Samsung Galaxy Player that's about a year or two old. Basically an Android phone without the phone part :v:

Not sure why that would make a difference, but I've gotten that response for a few different apps I tried downloading so who knows.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Elmnt80 posted:

So, I was loving around with a soldering iron and realized I have no clue what the gently caress I'm doing with one. I also got a nice burn on my finger when I grabbed to far up on the handle and wound up touching the 450 degree metal. I should not be allowed around anything that can cut or maim. :downs:

You should take on welding sometime.
You learn to not grab the hot end loving quick. :D

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Elmnt80 posted:

I burned the tips of all of the fingers on my left hand on a curling iron yesterday. There's a reason I haven't tried my hand at soldering or welding.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

Actually, I've done a bit of welding thanks to shop classes. Its a wonder I lived through high school.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

cursedshitbox posted:

I still burn the poo poo out of myself TIG welding. God drat. I never learn.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

leica posted:

Not a phone, it's a Samsung Galaxy Player that's about a year or two old. Basically an Android phone without the phone part :v:

Not sure why that would make a difference, but I've gotten that response for a few different apps I tried downloading so who knows.

It's a combination of software versioning, and device identification, unfortunately. I think the Galaxy Player is also a few years old, too?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

goatse guy posted:

I burned the tips of all of the fingers on my left hand on a curling iron yesterday. There's a reason I haven't tried my hand at soldering or welding.

I can't believe the amount of heat girls put next to their head in the name of beauty.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Finally got around to installed the second SSD I got for my desktop. I have a Linux VM setup now and holy poo poo, I shouldn't be surprised but I installed Xubuntu in like 5 minutes. This is great.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Alarbus posted:

It's a combination of software versioning, and device identification, unfortunately. I think the Galaxy Player is also a few years old, too?

Yeah they have been discontinued for awhile now. Got this one for $30 in great condition so I can't complain, maybe I'll eventually root it for shits and giggles just to see how far I can go with it.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 219 days!)

Meet with hospice nurse today. She estimates time left as under two weeks. The last three days of clarity have been the best present I could have hoped for. I still have problems not feeding someone just because they don't ask for food. I can logically understand how the systems are shutting down, and can no longer process it- but at the same time, my internal instincts scream at me to do otherwise.

I really want to get completely blotto tonight, but I am the driver, emotional support, and the new cornerstone. poo poo.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Finally got on the tinder bandwagon.

Mother of god, there's some insanely hot guys on there. :gizz: Another reason to lose weight and get in shape.

th vwls hv scpd posted:

If you have a Samsung phone, get Nova Launcher. It fixes a lot of stability problems. aCar is the app to have if you want to know what you spend on maintenance and track fuel mileage. Simple Calendar Widget is great for letting you know what events are in your calendar. Racing Elements is a neat weather widget with cool F1 photos. Google Keep is great for making notes that sync to Chrome.

Nova Launcher is what I'd used for years until Android 5.0 came out. The stock launcher is actually drat good with (AOSP) 5.0's default launcher, aside from being stuck in portrait mode. I may switch back to Nova soon though, I'd like it to work in landscape mode.

aCar is good, but I just use fuelly's mobile site to track mileage, and use GM's Owner Center to keep track of other expenses - it's got just enough functionality to let me enter mileage, cost, work done, and notes, and (usually) recall/dealer work performed gets added automatically. It would suck to lose all of your records if you lost/broke the phone.

Agreed on Google Keep - I use it to keep track of tons of poo poo, from gate codes for apartment complexes (for work) to shopping lists. Though it syncs to http://keep.google.com - not Chrome itself.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I can't believe the amount of heat girls put next to their head in the name of beauty.

A lot of guys (like me) use heat devices on their hair too. :colbert: Though mine is the opposite of a curling iron - I use a flat iron to straighten my hair.

My flat iron can hit 400F+ (I usually use the 350 setting). It stings a :airquote: little :airquote: if you hit your neck or scalp with it... for a few days. :saddowns:

I'm actually decent with soldering as long as it's not itty bitty poo poo; my hands have always been a little shaky.

leica posted:

You can always find the APK, copy it to the phone, and install a file manager. You'll have to go into the security settings and turn on "allow installation from unknown sources", then use the file manager to install it. I'ts been a looooooong time since I used Gingerbread though, so you may not even have to do the security settings. This is called "sideloading".

Though after looking up what the Galaxy Player actually is, I'd say you paid about :20bux: too much for it. It does look like it actually has somewhat of a development community though; people have even modified Android 5.0.x to work on it. http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-player - Cyanogenmod is always a solid (and lightweight) ROM to use, though which one you can use depends on which version of the Galaxy Player you have (4.0 or 5.0 - go into settings -> About Phone and look at the model #, then google the model #).

Alarbus posted:

Gingerbread is old enough that a task killer is actually still a somewhat valid option, but most popular apps are well behaved enough that you don't need one.

I have a fuckton of apps on my phone. AdAway, several news apps, Amazon, Kindle, Barcode Scanner, Chrome, a couple of local TV station apps, Doggcatcher for my podcasts, Dash, Dropbox, Endomondo, Fitbit, GasBuddy, Glooko, Kroger, Magic Fluids (fun as gently caress when you're :2bong: ), Nest (for my thermostat), MS Office Mobile (plus a Bluetooth keyboard), Netflix, Plex, Runkeeper, Roku, Slacker Radio, Tapped Out, Tinder, Grindr, Titanium Backup, Tunein Radio, Vine, Wallet, Zombies Run, Yelp..... (and I'm skipping a whole lot there). There's a bunch that I rarely use, but I can't justify removing them since I actually do use them all every month or so.

West SAAB Story posted:

Meet with hospice nurse today. She estimates time left as under two weeks. The last three days of clarity have been the best present I could have hoped for. I still have problems not feeding someone just because they don't ask for food. I can logically understand how the systems are shutting down, and can no longer process it- but at the same time, my internal instincts scream at me to do otherwise.

I really want to get completely blotto tonight, but I am the driver, emotional support, and the new cornerstone. poo poo.

I don't envy you at all right now. My grandmother went downhill a lot slower (over several years), then in a few weeks went from at least semi lucid to heart attack, to ignored by the local EMS when the hospice called in the heart attack (they tried to refuse to transport her, and argued with the nurses for over 10 minutes about transporting), to eventually getting transported, to dead 2 days later (the day after her birthday). I'm not sure which is worse - quick, or being able to hold on to them for a bit longer.

Either way... :glomp:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 219 days!)

Thanks, man. Your offer of assistance was shared, and greatly appreciated. I would bump the SAMart thread, but it is archived.

I have come to a compromise on inebriation: I am watching bad TV and am drinking a bud. Misery loves company.

v- Send it to me, I'll fix it!

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jan 10, 2015

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I have killed a Nokia.

what do I win motherfuckers. I know theres a merit for ruining the cell phone equivalent of a hammer.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

freelop posted:

88H88 thank you

Good poo poo, right? Never felt the need to use the hot version personally, might give it a go.

Now we just need to get your dough game straight.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

West SAAB Story posted:

Thanks, man. Your offer of assistance was shared, and greatly appreciated. I would bump the SAMart thread, but it is archived.

Meh, I'm putting the original mirror back in anyway. The non-OnStar one I put in has the reflective portion delaminating from the glass. I don't plan on ever reactivating OnStar, but at this point, I may as well just keep everything I need to return it 100% to stock.

I'll probably toss the non-OnStar mirror on eBay for someone who's managed to break their original.

In any event, you know how to get ahold of me if you need to talk or get poo poo off your chest.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

How to instantly dismount a tire*: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up4BXbN1Vf0 :v:

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

i am actually really impressed by how intact the passenger compartment remains. wish they had let me have a peak in the footwell tho.

in my 9 years as a firefighter i have responded to a huge amount of MVAs, it is nearly scary how much the vintage of the car, and proper use of seatbelts dictate the outcome.*

*in my personal anecdotal experiance, i have no empirical data, i dont want to start a shitstrom. just shut up. you are not my dad.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

fjelltorsk posted:

i am actually really impressed by how intact the passenger compartment remains. wish they had let me have a peak in the footwell tho.

With the new small offset tests, it looks like the companies are changing to more of a pointed capsule in the front, like a much wider F1 car, where the outside corner is sacrificial and the car gets pushed to the side more than crumple. Very interesting stuff. Also, after watching a half-dozen of the small offset tests, it looks like the tire/wheel combo factors heavily into the crush zone... every one destroyed the left front wheel, fully broke them to pieces... this seems to be a new crash behavior.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

meatpimp posted:

With the new small offset tests, it looks like the companies are changing to more of a pointed capsule in the front, like a much wider F1 car, where the outside corner is sacrificial and the car gets pushed to the side more than crumple.

When i did my squad leader training (my position is (was, but im going back once i kick the cancer) roughly equal to a Lt. in an american FD) we had to write a paper on a related topic. I choose MVA and the influence car design has on outcomes and how it affects first responders. I had the chance to talk to a swedish Volvo designer. He told me that in his opinion, cars and particularly heavier vehicles should be based on a heavy frame that ended in a triangle in the front. kinda if you look at a boat from the top. The safety pod (passenger compartment) would then be placed on the frame, and everything else designed to crumple and deflect in a high kinetic energy event.

to any american firefighters: do you use "no cut sheets" IE a referance to the make and model on the car you are working to give you info on where airbags, gas pistons, belt tensioners, etc are. so you don`t blow up? We implemented this properly a couple of years back. Even so far to train the emergency line operators adding "what kinda cars are involved" into their standard questionaire. With the amount of airbags and gas pistons in a modern car its kinda nice too avoid mishaps.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
All we are specifically trained on is weird, difficult to cut models, like any new Subaru, and ones with specific hazards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

drat new cars crash pretty well, makes me wonder how the E21 and other old poo poo would hold up in a crash. Not as good I'm guessing though this isn't too terrible - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z2Vtol47Tk Supposedly the rear open hood and the way it mounts absorbs a lot of energy.

I've managed to talk myself out of buying a Leaf or Volt since when I looked at it the Golf has cost me less that $1000 for gas, oil, tires, brakes, etc per year since I bought it. Wonder how long I can limp this thing along for. I really should replace the worn out suspension, bushings and wheel bearing that's sounded like death for the last year. Rolled over 250k the other day and has actually been a great little car.

Need to either load up on pain pills or just deal with the pain and get some time in working on the E21 today. Think I have all the parts hahaha yeah right I need to start putting it back together other than the new rear calipers which USPS has managed to misplace. I'm already thinking about swap options, current engine weighs ~180lb and puts out 110hp. I think we can do better than that.

• Locked thread