Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Keg posted:

Whilst in the streets, it's all about how crazy you can become.

Absolutley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGTFO6rAPmU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Hello fencers, I made a thread.
Thanks for keeping us from being internet-homeless, punchy grapply friend people.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I have this guy in my class who goes on an on about krav maga, I don't have the heart to tell him what I've read in this thread.

edit: What's bjj like for small guys?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Fun

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Tonight is the second night of jujitsu. The soreness from the first night in just really setting its hooks in this morning. I am scarfing ibuprofen and praying. I am terrified. Besides that, though I am really excited to get to the point where I am not so gassed by the end of practice that I can roll for reals. I have been constantly going over the three simple little moves we worked on in my head since last practice, and I am eager to learn more.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

The Dregs posted:

Tonight is the second night of jujitsu. The soreness from the first night in just really setting its hooks in this morning. I am scarfing ibuprofen and praying. I am terrified. Besides that, though I am really excited to get to the point where I am not so gassed by the end of practice that I can roll for reals. I have been constantly going over the three simple little moves we worked on in my head since last practice, and I am eager to learn more.
drat, son, take it easy. You don't want to mask the pain completely and then push yourself harder, that's a great way to injure yourself if you're not careful. It's good that you're having fun, though! Just don't go all crossfit on us and end up in physiotherapy.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Went to my first jits class after my injury like a month and then some ago. The injury flared up a bit but not too badly... I don't think I can roll hard or anything but I guess I can take part in the technique part for now. Had also forgotten every single sweep, position, how to move and everything else too. I had fun and all but kinda feel like poo poo about the whole class. I was so off my game, felt like a buffoon and my chest had been pain free for a while so I figured I'd gotten over the injury, but I guess not... :(

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Crazy Achmed posted:

drat, son, take it easy. You don't want to mask the pain completely and then push yourself harder, that's a great way to injure yourself if you're not careful. It's good that you're having fun, though! Just don't go all crossfit on us and end up in physiotherapy.

Thanks! I thought I was just being a wuss. I intend to take it easier tonight. Last time I was doing my damndest to keep up, but the instructor told me to go at my own pace. I imagine my gas tank will get deeper. I don't want to ship practicing, though, because I am afraid it'll just get easier to excuse myself in the future.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Rabhadh posted:

I have this guy in my class who goes on an on about krav maga, I don't have the heart to tell him what I've read in this thread.

edit: What's bjj like for small guys?

BJJ for little guys is the most technically pure BJJ. It involves a lot of attaching yourself to the other guy tightly and forcing him to move you to where you want to be. Bigger guys tend to try to move their opponents instead, which gives them a hard time vs even bigger guys.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, I'm sometimes a little jealous of smaller players because they have to have very very good technique to pull off moves whereas bigger guys, such as myself, can use the weight and size difference to our advantage (whether deliberately or not).

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
A big part of your continuing training is going to be figuring out the difference between hurt and injured. Everyone trains hurt. Try not to train injured.

Also the technical difference between smaller players and larger players tends to get exaggerated/simplified; it's really not as black-and-white as that. It's more that different sizes, just like different body types, facilitate different types of games. For instance, in wrestling, you see a lot more shots and low doubles than you do with heavyweights; if a magic ray turned those guys into 250 pounders their games wouldn't be as successful even though they'd be just as "technical", because your strength levels don't scale linearly with your size (hence the Wilks system in powerlifting) and doing a peekout or submarine finish after a 141 pound guy sprawls on you is not even remotely the same as a peekout or submarine finish after a 265 pound guy sprawls on you (which is why heavyweight wrestling involves a ton more handfighting and footwork, because recovering from a bad takedown being much more difficult and tiring makes technical setups vastly more important.)

tbh if you asked me where the most broadly technical players on average tended to be I would say in the 77kg to 88kg range, because in training they have to deal both with the strength and weight advantage of their heavier training partners, but also the speed and (often) flexibility advantage of their lighter training partners. A big part of on-the-fly adjustment in competition is realizing (usually mid match, and hopefully as early as possible) what areas (both technically and physically) you are stronger and weaker than your opponent, and figuring out how to apply the former while avoiding the latter.

Disclaimer: I tend to compete at 88kg and walk around at 100kg, and my perspective is informed by that experience.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I've decided to ditch the aikido for a while and take up bjj now for my thing to do 2015. This is my local guy, I don't think there are any other Irish people posing in this thread so I don't really expect much in the way of a recommendation but there it is anyway. Bjj along with the boxing should make me the coolest guy around. I still love aikido and I'll probably pop in for a class every now and then but with the help of you fine ladies and gentlemen I've really come to see that if you're martial art has no competitions, you're not really learning anything you can apply when you need it.

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.

The Dregs posted:

Thanks! I thought I was just being a wuss. I intend to take it easier tonight. Last time I was doing my damndest to keep up, but the instructor told me to go at my own pace. I imagine my gas tank will get deeper. I don't want to ship practicing, though, because I am afraid it'll just get easier to excuse myself in the future.

Nothing odd about extreme soreness when you're starting out. Martial arts seems to be mostly about exercising obscure muscle groups into submission. It should get better fast.
Not if you dose up on painkillers and can't feel it when you damage something, though. So probably don't do that.

A good anti-excuse(motivator?) is that when you've warmed up for training, you'll probably stop feeling the teeth of your soreness for a couple hours.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Hawgh posted:

A good anti-excuse(motivator?) is that when you've warmed up for training, you'll probably stop feeling the teeth of your soreness for a couple hours.

I find that doing 50 jumping jacks, or anything else that boosts my heart rate for 3-5 minutes, will take away 90% my muscle aches.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
GOD WILLS IT

http://www.tytnetwork.com/2015/01/06/put-two-men-in-a-cage-and-make-them-fight-because-god-intended-it-message-from-a-church-near-you/

In the trailer a pastor unironically tells his audience that jesus didn't tap

yassss

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Hawgh posted:

Nothing odd about extreme soreness when you're starting out. Martial arts seems to be mostly about exercising obscure muscle groups into submission. It should get better fast.
Not if you dose up on painkillers and can't feel it when you damage something, though. So probably don't do that.

Practice went extremely well. I was terrified going in because of how bad I gassed at first practice, but I tried to remain calm and slow down when I needed. Everything went much more smoothly until we did a little bit of rolling at the end. My proud moment came when I was rolling with a blue belt, who was taking it extremely easy on me and giving me advice. I attempted to shove his knee down and pass guard. He did...something to me and I ended up on my back with the wind knocked out of me. The instructor told him to take it easier on me, it was just my second class. He said, "Oh man, I'm sorry! You OK? That was a pretty good pass attempt for your second class!"

That felt pretty good. Of course I spent the rest of the 5 minutes left in class trying not to puke. And you are right! No soreness at all right now! It's coming though.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

fatherdog posted:

A big part of your continuing training is going to be figuring out the difference between hurt and injured. Everyone trains hurt. Try not to train injured.

Also the technical difference between smaller players and larger players tends to get exaggerated/simplified; it's really not as black-and-white as that. It's more that different sizes, just like different body types, facilitate different types of games. For instance, in wrestling, you see a lot more shots and low doubles than you do with heavyweights; if a magic ray turned those guys into 250 pounders their games wouldn't be as successful even though they'd be just as "technical", because your strength levels don't scale linearly with your size (hence the Wilks system in powerlifting) and doing a peekout or submarine finish after a 141 pound guy sprawls on you is not even remotely the same as a peekout or submarine finish after a 265 pound guy sprawls on you (which is why heavyweight wrestling involves a ton more handfighting and footwork, because recovering from a bad takedown being much more difficult and tiring makes technical setups vastly more important.)

tbh if you asked me where the most broadly technical players on average tended to be I would say in the 77kg to 88kg range, because in training they have to deal both with the strength and weight advantage of their heavier training partners, but also the speed and (often) flexibility advantage of their lighter training partners. A big part of on-the-fly adjustment in competition is realizing (usually mid match, and hopefully as early as possible) what areas (both technically and physically) you are stronger and weaker than your opponent, and figuring out how to apply the former while avoiding the latter.

Disclaimer: I tend to compete at 88kg and walk around at 100kg, and my perspective is informed by that experience.

Truth.

To addIn the last few years I have learned to use my weird length and weight combo better but I think the long light body type has maybe the worst early experiences based on the type of people I usually see make it to higher ranks and my own experiences compared to friends.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

To jump back to the previous discussion about newbie egos, when I was brand new, after having it ground into my head by certain male role models that "anger increased strength", I was developing my own "style" in my mind that involved "getting increasingly angry" and using that to "explode" out of anyone's grappling. That lasted all of 5 minutes during my first roll.

Trying to get myself back into the sport here, hoping that talking about it will get me going

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Omglosser posted:

To jump back to the previous discussion about newbie egos, when I was brand new, after having it ground into my head by certain male role models that "anger increased strength", I was developing my own "style" in my mind that involved "getting increasingly angry" and using that to "explode" out of anyone's grappling. That lasted all of 5 minutes during my first roll.

Trying to get myself back into the sport here, hoping that talking about it will get me going

Ah yes, the Hulk maneuver.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

So while rolling is it a stupid thing to while inside of someone's guard to give them your arm so they go for a triangle, then pass their guard while they're setting it up by ducking the leg and stacking them? It seems to work on the blue belts, but I don't know if its Working because its so stupid they're not prepared for it, or if it's an actual thing to do?

On the plus side nobody attempts triangles on me any more so...there's that.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

KildarX posted:

So while rolling is it a stupid thing to while inside of someone's guard to give them your arm so they go for a triangle, then pass their guard while they're setting it up by ducking the leg and stacking them? It seems to work on the blue belts, but I don't know if its Working because its so stupid they're not prepared for it, or if it's an actual thing to do?

It's not stupid but you need a lot of context. If you are losing a competitive match or you know your partner has a strong and stubborn closed guard, or maybe bad triangles go for it. But I wouldn't say it should be a default move and there is a lot of subtle things you can / should do to set them up to fail the triangle. So, the more you pay attention to the little details the better it will work.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I feed arm bars all the time, in full guard but I probably wouldn't do it against a black belt. That said, most people purple or higher won't be content with just a full guard and will be working for something more active. We're talking no-Gi right? Cause feeding something, then having to break grips in Gi takes way more effort.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

The Dregs posted:

Practice went extremely well. I was terrified going in because of how bad I gassed at first practice, but I tried to remain calm and slow down when I needed. Everything went much more smoothly until we did a little bit of rolling at the end. My proud moment came when I was rolling with a blue belt, who was taking it extremely easy on me and giving me advice. I attempted to shove his knee down and pass guard. He did...something to me and I ended up on my back with the wind knocked out of me. The instructor told him to take it easier on me, it was just my second class. He said, "Oh man, I'm sorry! You OK? That was a pretty good pass attempt for your second class!"

That felt pretty good. Of course I spent the rest of the 5 minutes left in class trying not to puke. And you are right! No soreness at all right now! It's coming though.

It sounds like he swept you and it's a good lesson to learn that basically you're never safe in any position from having the tables turned on you. Whenever you're trying to do something you always want to keep an eye on what the other guy is doing and if you can, block him from doing it to allow you to do what you want to do. Easier said than done, and especially difficult in the beginning.

As long as he explained afterwards what you did that allowed him to do it to you, so you (start to) learn to try and block it from happening in the future, then I wouldn't say he was going overboard.

RE: the fitness aspect, seriously do not feel bad about being tired. If it's any consolation, I went to the gym 4 days a week prior to starting bjj a few months ago, I thought to myself "Yeah, I'm in pretty good shape, this will be no real stress on my cardio". I still almost puke at the end of class sometimes, and at the very least I am ALWAYS gassed and always a little sore the next day or 2. Part of that is because I also don't really know what I'm doing and most of the time I think I'm subconsciously trying to force (muscle) situations rather than relying on technique ( that I don't know a whole lot of anyway ). Either way - you are using muscles you've probably never used before, in a way you would never normally use them, and it takes time for your body to adjust. It's like most everything - you get out of it what you put in, if you're not sweaty and exhausted at the end of class you've probably not been pushing yourself as much as you could.

To quote a BJJ world champion:

"Train to do things without energy and make the technique good. Otherwise you will learn that the move only works when you're in shape or have energy. That is not a good technique. By learning the proper technique, you'll find when you are really tired, have nothing left, and you're in a match and start to wonder "what is my salvation?" you will know you can do the move with no energy left. Technique is your salvation." - Caio Terra

So really, being gassed is a good thing!

Omglosser posted:

I definitely don't get angry when I'm rolling, at least consciously, that's one of the best things about BJJ in general to me - I've never met a coloured belt that has not been insanely chill. I don't know if they all smoke weed but every blue+ belt I've ever talked to or rolled with is just so drat relaxed it makes me envious. It's like the better you get, the more relaxed you get ( or at least appear, outwardly ).

I find there are still some people I roll with though ( fellow white belts in particular ) and you just KNOW the moment you bump fists that it's going to suck because the guy gets rageface and starts even *breathing* angry. They usually get that hammered out by the higher belts but when it's with another newb like me it can be frustrating because it seems like those types of people will only accept advice like "Hey take it easy, relax" through combat and I just don't have the skill to do anything other than try and frustrate them.

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 9, 2015

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

VulgarandStupid posted:

I feed arm bars all the time, in full guard but I probably wouldn't do it against a black belt. That said, most people purple or higher won't be content with just a full guard and will be working for something more active. We're talking no-Gi right? Cause feeding something, then having to break grips in Gi takes way more effort.

It seems to work in both, but you're right it is way easier to do it in No-Gi. v:shobon:v I took to man hugging in pajamas almost a little less than a year after starting No-Gi. So a lot of the passes I do know are less than graceful, when your opponent starts grabbing on to clothes.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

KildarX posted:

It seems to work in both, but you're right it is way easier to do it in No-Gi. v:shobon:v I took to man hugging in pajamas almost a little less than a year after starting No-Gi. So a lot of the passes I do know are less than graceful, when your opponent starts grabbing on to clothes.

I accidentally went to a Gi class after not training for years. But since I took the effort to show up, and having a little Gi experience in the past I decided to borrow a Gi and do the class. Later on during open mat, I was in someone's butterfly guard, so I flattened a knee to the ground and did a somersault pass. He responded by grabbing the bottom of the back of my Gi and pulled me into back control. Then I remembered why I hated Gi.

As far as anger goes, I don't really get angry, but I can get frustrated. If someone is pulling guard constantly and being a pain to pass but not being good enough to sweep or submit, I'll just disengage them constantly to remind them that no one has any reason to willingly walk straight in to your guard. Then I'll usually try to do a standing pass, drop for a heel hook or go for a rolling toe hold.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

Ah yes, the Hulk maneuver.

The Sensei's son does this all the time when he gets beat by a lower belt (He is Brown, going for Black this year) at my gym. I got him in a standing choke one time, then he just went into Hulk Mode and being super aggressive with his gripping and throws. Only problem being that he doesn't think and ends up opening himself to something even worse if he just kept his cool.

We have one woman who does these Hulk moments with amazing success in her ground work, but the muscle mass on her pales in comparison to the women she is fighting in the club.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Yeah you can't really explode out of positions like you do in no-gi, and doing poo poo like giving up armbars in order to try to pass can also easily backfire.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TollTheHounds posted:

I definitely don't get angry when I'm rolling, at least consciously, that's one of the best things about BJJ in general to me - I've never met a coloured belt that has not been insanely chill. I don't know if they all smoke weed but every blue+ belt I've ever talked to or rolled with is just so drat relaxed it makes me envious. It's like the better you get, the more relaxed you get ( or at least appear, outwardly ).

Yes! Glad I'm not the only person to have noticed this. I'm in awe at how chilled the experiences people in my class are. I hope to attain some more chill as I progress. I think my disposition is fairly good though but these people are on another level.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

KildarX posted:

That 's my favorite guard pass. I've got long arms and a thick neck, so I can usually get away with it. But the jerks at my new club all love spider guard, so I need to figure out some new passes. Spider guard is bullshit.

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
Had the year's first sparring session (Muay Thai) today.

Took an uppercut right in the nose. Luckily the other guy was pretty exhausted, and also not a dick, so it didn't have that much oomph.
Don't let your guard go wide, folks. It's no fun at all.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Tonight I had a man's sweaty foot in my mouth. I can still taste it, and I'm pretty sure I cut his foot with my teeth.

Time for a mouthguard either way.

I will post in The Goon Doctor to ask about getting rid of athlete's foot in the mouth, unless you guys have tips?

:byodood:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

loving nothing worse than something nasty in your mouth or eyes (like a sweat soaked glove)

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Christoff posted:

loving nothing worse than something nasty in your mouth or eyes (like a sweat soaked glove)

I would argue having a sweaty man rear end in your face is even worse.

On the plus side that fight ended up me doing a north-south triangle choke on the guy, so i think we are even.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

TollTheHounds posted:

Tonight I had a man's sweaty foot in my mouth. I can still taste it, and I'm pretty sure I cut his foot with my teeth.

Time for a mouthguard either way.

I will post in The Goon Doctor to ask about getting rid of athlete's foot in the mouth, unless you guys have tips?

:byodood:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17651080
http://www.thecandidadiet.com/oil-pulling.htm

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Played some pretty cool little games at Muay Thai the other night that whilst being a bit of fun were actually pretty good for balance etc,
We started off hopping on one leg with arms crossed over the chest and the aim is to try to get your partner to put their foot down by bobbing,weaving and shoulder barging.
It really showed how you might over commit to strikes.

We then did variations incorporating kicks and clinching.

A good time was had by all.

Anyone else do goofy stuff like this that is fun yet relevant to training it's great for breaking the monotony of repetition.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I'm still in the very early stages (can count my lessons on one hand) but as far as being chill I don't get angry I just get tense. People are constantly telling me to relax my muscles because I'm tense as a metal rod. I must learn to chill. It's also not good for falls. Thankfully no has really thrown me yet.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Travic posted:

I'm still in the very early stages (can count my lessons on one hand) but as far as being chill I don't get angry I just get tense. People are constantly telling me to relax my muscles because I'm tense as a metal rod. I must learn to chill. It's also not good for falls. Thankfully no has really thrown me yet.

This happens in boxing too. Look how tense this guy in blue is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF6amEEFg7g

I always look for the stutter step as a sign of an inexperienced boxer.

There isn't any remedy for it that works as well as experience.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
Re: The funny Krav Maga thread

I did Krav Maga a while back here in Finland, and it seems to have a bad rep over there in the US, could someone enlighten me on why that's the case? At least over here I found that the training was very much grounded in some kind of of reality.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

It's basically to martial arts what crossfit is to exercise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Seen an ad for it, where the main woman was holding an assault rifle. So...

• Locked thread