Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goat Pillager
Mar 1, 2013

With the right of the $8 preacher's title I bought ages back for other reasons, I hereby pronounce my science character and her faithful starfruit khellid to be pixel-bug and pixel-wife.

May the awful fanfic writing commence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe
STO's been going through a rough patch lately. Ever since DR dropped it seems like all cryptic can do is nerf the fun things, add grind everywhere, and hide everything behind the worst kind of p2w monetization schemes. But it looks like the declining player numbers, the empty queues, and the official forum sig protest* are finally having an effect. Although it might not seem like it, cryptic has been paying attention to all the complaints and suggestions for improvement, and they're now ready to implement the changes that the players so desperately want.

That's right, we're getting new bridge officer ability icons! Finally, our long nightmare is over.

*Which is hurting the devs' feelings.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Oh now my game is saved, buying 3 life time subs. I am glad they decided that new content and bug fixes were sidelined for important things.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
Oh good, after all, a real problem this game was having was I wasn't having to re-learn and re-memorize enough things.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

g0del posted:

STO's been going through a rough patch lately. Ever since DR dropped it seems like all cryptic can do is nerf the fun things, add grind everywhere, and hide everything behind the worst kind of p2w monetization schemes. But it looks like the declining player numbers, the empty queues, and the official forum sig protest* are finally having an effect. Although it might not seem like it, cryptic has been paying attention to all the complaints and suggestions for improvement, and they're now ready to implement the changes that the players so desperately want.

That's right, we're getting new bridge officer ability icons! Finally, our long nightmare is over.

*Which is hurting the devs' feelings.

I'm guessing for some of the devs it really is emotionally distressing to know they may not have a job within six months at this rate.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

isn't that taco guy just an artist though? i'm sure he can find another job.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Berke Negri posted:

I'm guessing for some of the devs it really is emotionally distressing to know they may not have a job within six months at this rate.
That thread really is a great read. Taco is amazingly whiny about the sigs, and somehow manages to completely misunderstand why people use them.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
So much pain and suffering in that post.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

g0del posted:

That thread really is a great read. Taco is amazingly whiny about the sigs, and somehow manages to completely misunderstand why people use them.
No, the problem is I'm sure the devs and CMs are perfectly aware why people are pissed off and doing sigs like that, but at the same time can't do anything about it because PWE is incompetent and running the company into the ground.

I really don't envy anyone working at Cryptic right now.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Asimo posted:

No, the problem is I'm sure the devs and CMs are perfectly aware why people are pissed off

Are you sure? It's been proven repeatedly that they don't play their own game.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mondian posted:

Are you sure? It's been proven repeatedly that they don't play their own game.

They're also wholesale chopping out content now too. I assume its because it was too easy to level without spending money on XP boosters or something.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=21651331#post21651331

Episodes which have been removed are:
“Under the Cover of Night”
“Minefield”
“Divide et Impera”
“Saturday’s Child”
“Preemptive Strike”
“Hunting the Hunters”
“Project Nightingale”
“Ground Zero”
“Ghost Ship”
“Friend of My Enemy”
“Trapped”

:thumbsup:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Oh yeah, the tribble patch is up.

The BOFF training thing is... frankly, almost effortless. You make a PADD (500 dil, 2500c, a handful of uncommon mats), you make the training manual (no cost besides the PADD), and then you use the manual on the BOFF (for a trivial amount of expertise). There's no randomization involved, and since the PADDs and manuals can be sold on the exchange there's no need to ever actually spend dilithium either. This is pretty much a straight usability improvement and good on Cryptic for it.

Also, the new spec is "Command Officer" which seems focused on team buffs and exposes, sort of how Intel had a lot of focus on flanking. Secondary deflectors are in after like a loving year, are crafted in the science crafting skill, and basically all the available science boats get a slot for it. Most of the Fed Romulan story arc got excised and a handful of new missions have been added that apparently tie in with the actual Romulan faction missions better. Nothing of value was lost.

Also full auto rifles were fixed. :qq:

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Asimo posted:

No, the problem is I'm sure the devs and CMs are perfectly aware why people are pissed off and doing sigs like that, but at the same time can't do anything about it because PWE is incompetent and running the company into the ground.

I really don't envy anyone working at Cryptic right now.

Tacofangs, a STO dev posted:

The thing with the sigs, is it isn't any one sig that's so terrible I cry myself to sleep at night. It's that the abundance and persistence of them is just grating over time. Like I said, they feel like little jabs at the whole dev team for a single comment most of us had nothing to do with. That is wearing, and after a while, makes me not want to subject myself to it anymore.
This doesn't sound like someone who knows why people are using the sigs. He also goes on and on in the thread about how the sigs are useless because they don't give any constructive criticism. But the sigs didn't get big on the forums until after people had posted constructive criticism, over and over and over while cryptic kept doubling down on the nerfs.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Nah, I stand by my statement, having dealt with poo poo like this on different sides. It's less about what's being said and more what's implied. It's not exactly a secret that players are pissed off about upgrade costs, XP grinds, and especially lovely queues, and it doesn't take a dev metric to see how empty the queues are lately. There's no doubt in my mind that the developers are fully aware of the issues but unable to do anything about them either due to PWE meddling or some incompetent producer, since they've made a lot of other accessibility nerfs around the core issues (nerfing enemy HP, reducing upgrade rush costs, etc) that don't actually solve the underlying core issue.

So then you get to the petulant CMs, and again the response there says enough. Players are pissy and whiny all the time, this isn't really a new thing or even an unprecedented level of it. If the company behind the scenes was working fine it would be trivially easy to make some announcements like "yes we're looking into things and changes will be coming soon" or "we've heard your complaints but our data shows X and Y so things are actually okay although we'll keep an eye out", or some other polite encouragement. But then you look at them not doing anything like that now and it can only be because they're not allowed to (for whatever reason), and comments about "abundance and persistence" and "most of us had nothing to do with" and so on that just... screams at there being frustration at an inability to do anything meaningful at their job.

I dunno, it all seems obvious to me from looking at it, but maybe I've had the "pleasure" of experience in toxic work environments. :v:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

g0del posted:

This doesn't sound like someone who knows why people are using the sigs. He also goes on and on in the thread about how the sigs are useless because they don't give any constructive criticism. But the sigs didn't get big on the forums until after people had posted constructive criticism, over and over and over while cryptic kept doubling down on the nerfs.

Yeah it was this. Signatures likes "everyone loves Delta Rising and its the best expansion ever" came well after the feedback was given and ignored.

Sounds like a routine attempt at blame shifting and/or attacking the messenger.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Oh yeah, there's one catch to the PADD/skillbook crafting. It takes four hours (or you can queue a job with five that takes 20), so I suspect Cryptic is hoping that everyone will be impatient and rush them for the usual absurd dilithium cost I guess.

I can't imagine it being a big deal if you're willing to wait a day or two for the market to be flooded anyway. At least as cash sink catches go, this is still pretty inoffensive.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Asimo posted:

Oh yeah, there's one catch to the PADD/skillbook crafting. It takes four hours (or you can queue a job with five that takes 20), so I suspect Cryptic is hoping that everyone will be impatient and rush them for the usual absurd dilithium cost I guess.

I can't imagine it being a big deal if you're willing to wait a day or two for the market to be flooded anyway. At least as cash sink catches go, this is still pretty inoffensive.
Do existing boffs at least keep their current skills? Because that's about the only reason I could see for not being willing to wait a few days.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

DancingShade posted:

Yeah it was this. Signatures likes "everyone loves Delta Rising and its the best expansion ever" came well after the feedback was given and ignored.

Sounds like a routine attempt at blame shifting and/or attacking the messenger.

Plus the "Delta Rising is the best expansion ever and the players love it" line is a direct quote from the game's lead designer. Are the protest sigs childish and immature? Probably. And I'm sure they're frustrating to a guy like Tacofangs, who clearly likes interacting with players and who is responsible for some of the parts of DR that nobody dislikes. I feel bad for him, and a lot of the devs who just make the things they're told to make and mostly do a good job. But... as a company, they did this to themselves.

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.
Iskander@steampunker7

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
"I'm going to RP a murderer with 23 counts of sexual misconduct"

:psyduck:

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
My character's pain threshold rating is: EWWWWWWWW!!!!!

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

DancingShade posted:

They're also wholesale chopping out content now too. I assume its because it was too easy to level without spending money on XP boosters or something.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=21651331#post21651331

Episodes which have been removed are:
“Under the Cover of Night”
“Minefield”
“Divide et Impera”
“Saturday’s Child”
“Preemptive Strike”
“Hunting the Hunters”
“Project Nightingale”
“Ground Zero”
“Ghost Ship”
“Friend of My Enemy”
“Trapped”

:thumbsup:

Kinda funny because that whole chain is currently sort of lampooned by the current featured foundry mission. It's a convoluted time travel + mind control explanation for why so much poo poo doesn't make sense but also very wordy and serious so you can't really tell if it's tongue in cheek or genuine. "Did you ever wonder why we kept following orders when it was so obvious at that point that she was actually Undine?" "Oh, it was mind control!" "I had always wondered why the federation would mass such a huge fleet and preemtively invade Romulan territory like that, it's so uncharacteristic. Now I understand, she was amplifying her mind control powers."

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jan 10, 2015

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

g0del posted:

Do existing boffs at least keep their current skills? Because that's about the only reason I could see for not being willing to wait a few days.
Yeah, at least on tribble right now my boffs had their currently-learned skills ready to be slotted in and out. Seemed pretty seamless but I'm sure something will go wrong when the patch launches. :v: Keep in mind that the unlocks are per-boff rather than global unlocks, so just slot them with what you'd use anyway.

Captain Candiru posted:

Kinda funny because that whole chain is currently sort of lampooned by the current featured foundry mission. It's a convoluted time travel + mind control explanation for why so much poo poo doesn't make sense but also very wordy and serious so you can't really tell if it's tongue in cheek or genuine. "Did you ever wonder why we kept following orders when it was so obvious at that point that she was actually Undine?" "Oh, it was mind control!" "I had always wondered why the federation would mass such a huge fleet and preemtively invade Romulan territory like that, it's so uncharacteristic. Now I understand, she was amplifying her mind control powers."
Yeah there's literally nothing of gameplay or narrative value being lost here. The Romulan arc wasn't quite as bad as the Cardassian arc, but it's still obviously rushed launch-era poo poo and feels it.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

hello, bijor is now canon and i am now in charge of story writing at pwe.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Any of you actually use the loadout feature? Does it actually work? Like half of the search results for details about it are forum threads about how it's broken. I don't really have inventory room or bank space to mess around with it. If I save a loadout are the items in my inventory at least flagged so I don't accidentally turn them into cash?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Candiru posted:

Any of you actually use the loadout feature?
Yes.

Captain Candiru posted:

Does it actually work?
Mostly but not always.

Captain Candiru posted:

If I save a loadout are the items in my inventory at least flagged so I don't accidentally turn them into cash?
Nope! Have fun deleting or selling stuff you thought was important by accident.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Seems like a really awesome feature in principle but I think I'll just skip it.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

do people change their weapons and gear still? does pvp still even exist now?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Acer Pilot posted:

hello, bijor is now canon and i am now in charge of story writing at pwe.

Resubbing all fifteen of my accounts.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Acer Pilot posted:

do people change their weapons and gear still? does pvp still even exist now?

Don't worry, the game does that for you so you get all the excitement of your gear ending up in your inventory without actually having to change gear yourself!

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Captain Candiru posted:

Any of you actually use the loadout feature? Does it actually work? Like half of the search results for details about it are forum threads about how it's broken. I don't really have inventory room or bank space to mess around with it. If I save a loadout are the items in my inventory at least flagged so I don't accidentally turn them into cash?
Loadouts kind of work... but break at the slightest things. A doff on an assignment? A bridge officer with different skills than the load out? Nope, it's gonna fart out. It's useful for quickly equipping stuff from one ship to another, but that doesn't help if there's something sitting on the other ship already. Even if it worked perfectly you'd still invariably need to retrain a boff or two to fit unless you had an absurdly broad boff list, so it's not like you'd be swapping out in the field anyway. At least the impending boff change (hopefully?) fixes this latter part. Although you'll probably want to swap a trait or two and it doesn't save those either, let alone if you're the sort to trait swap between ground and space...

At least it's still better than the previous system, which was "swap it all manually by hand every time you change ship". :suicide:

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Asimo posted:

Secondary deflectors are in after like a loving year, are crafted in the science crafting skill, and basically all the available science boats get a slot for it.

What do they do?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Soviet Commubot posted:

What do they do?
Not a whole lot. The existing two provide a buff to a trio of science skills and a further buff/additional effect to some lesser-used science skills. It stacks with whatever you're getting from the main deflector and sci consoles though so it's pretty much a straight buff.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Ground traits and the commando spec make all the more difference on ground than Mk XIV gear does I feel. Like you can squeeze that extra 50 DPs upgrading your ground weapons but what really makes a difference is not dying instantly.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Oh yeah, you can buy manuals for rank 1 and 2 skills from the old boff skill vendors, and the new Command skills are up there. Trick is... the manuals don't tell you what the skills do in their tooltips. :downs: At least you can see the names, and I don't think anyone's listed these yet, so here you go.

Space
Ensign: Overwhelm Emitters, Concentrate Firepower, Reroute Power from Life Support
Lieutenant: Rally Point Marker, Subspace Interception, Needs of the Many, Ambush Marker
Lieutenant Commander: Phalanx Formation, Call Emergency Artillery, Suppression Barrage

Ground
Ensign: Take Cover, Hammer and Anvil, Overwhelm Shields, Shock and Awe
Lieutenant: Strategic Analysis, Delegated Devastation, Timely Intervention
Lieutenant Commander: Coordinate Bombing Strike, Return Fire, Sanctuary Bunker

What do they do? Who knows! Since character copy's down and you can't give a bridge officer a command spec yet anyway. The command spec also notes you can get captain kit module versions of these two, so presumably we'll see another rep in the near future.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
So presumably this means there'll be a new class of boff skills that won't work in "universal" slots?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, the Command Officer is another primary specialization just like Intel. Which means a whole assortment of new ships and officers for Cryptic to sell at high price to collect in order to actually use the abilities. Presumably you'll be able to get some white-quality command officers from the boff vendors, with probably another one or two in upcoming reps and as lobi prizes in the next lockbox.

As for ships... well, it's not a coincidence they're adding this around the time the Anniversary is hitting. Prepare for a Dyson style freebie with some c-store deluxe extravaganza. :v:

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
:psyduck: Has STO gone beyond trainwreak? Do they just keep launching more trains into the broken train making a bigger crash in an attempt to fix it? And who the hell is more broken? The Devs, Perfect World, Or the players?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

SugarAddict posted:

:psyduck: Has STO gone beyond trainwreak? Do they just keep launching more trains into the broken train making a bigger crash in an attempt to fix it? And who the hell is more broken? The Devs, Perfect World, Or the players?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

SugarAddict posted:

"You know what the players have been complaining about? How long it takes to grind out specialization points!"
"I have the solution! Lets add a bunch of new toys and hide it all behind another 30 spec point grind and c-store purchases!"

:downsrim:

Anyway... I also crafted a few of the secondary deflectors on a lark. It looks like the special ability on the Dyson deflector (the shield drain/heal when you tyken's rift etc.) is actually unique to it, so there's still some reason to keep it around if you had it. You can pick from three different varieties and you can start at Mk II and work up like most other crafting stuff. Main trick is the skills picked seems to be random, and there's one other unusual mods they have (maybe limited to the crafted ones like [Pen] and [Arc]?). The three varieties are...

Deteriorating: Basically the non-dyson one we have now, radiation DoT with tachyon beam/tyken's rift/CPB/energy siphon/viral matrix.
Inhibiting: Deals a single spike of radiation damage after 4 seconds to targets of jam sensors/tractor beam/TBR/scramble sensors/GW
Resonating: Adds 2.5% shield hardness and reduces damage to shields by 2.5% for 15s after using HE/PH/TSS/ST/mask energy signature/photonic officer.

Some of the special mods I saw were...

+25% chance for subsystem targeting to knock a system offline
0-10% defense debuff against your sensor analysis target, scaling over time
Improves Sensor Analysis healing buff by 20%
Improves Sensor Analysis damage buff by 20%

... There's probably another potential mod or three there but I couldn't be assed to make more than ten as a test. :effort: Looks like quality upgrades add another randomly-picked skill, too. This won't be as obnoxious as trying to get CrtDx4 weapons but you'll probably be making a few of these if you want something really specific.

• Locked thread