Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Stone Ocean is loving weird and often pretty draining to read. It's the best.

Also, at about the Foo Fighters fight the scans drastically improve in quality. I have no idea what's wrong with the first volume but it was kind of lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

hahahaha "rero" makes a triumphant return!

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Brannock posted:

Quality of arc villain: Yoshikage Kira > Funny Valentine > Dio Brando > Kars > Diavolo > DIO > Enrico Pucci

Quality of fights/overall arc: Steel Ball Run > Battle Tendency > Stardust Crusaders > Diamond is Unbreakable > Stone Ocean > Vento Aureo > Phantom Blood

hmm,.. i'll allow it.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Brannock posted:

Quality of arc villain: Yoshikage Kira > Funny Valentine > Dio Brando > Kars > Diavolo > DIO > Enrico Pucci

Quality of fights/overall arc: Steel Ball Run > Battle Tendency > Stardust Crusaders > Diamond is Unbreakable > Stone Ocean > Vento Aureo > Phantom Blood

How are you gonna tell me Part 4's fights aren't as good as Part 3's?

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

apparently disc sales for Stardust Crusaders have been dropping a like a rock, much less successful than Part 1 or 2 were. David doing Part 4 becoming a lot more doubtful

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

ZeroCount posted:

apparently disc sales for Stardust Crusaders have been dropping a like a rock, much less successful than Part 1 or 2 were. David doing Part 4 becoming a lot more doubtful

Aw poo poo :(

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Kira must be animated drat it!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
From what I understand it still sells relatively well though.

People might be more interesting by something that never was animated before, too.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I have an sinking feeling we're not getting Part 4, but the second half of SC's BluRays will sell more than the first half surely, which might be enough to get them to do it.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Josuke's already been born at this point, though, hasn't he?

I never said it was Tomoko. :shrug:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Brannock posted:

Quality of arc villain: Yoshikage Kira > Funny Valentine > Dio Brando > Enrico Pucci > DIO > Diavolo > Kars

Quality of fights/overall arc: Diamond is Unbreakable > Steel Ball Run > Vento Aureo > Battle Tendency > Stone Ocean > Stardust Crusaders > Phantom Blood

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Brannock posted:

Quality of arc villain: Yoshikage Kira > Funny Valentine > Dio Brando > Enrico Pucci > Kars > DIO > Diavolo

Quality of fights: Stone Ocean > Steel Ball Run > Diamond is Unbreakable > Vento Aureo > Battle Tendency > Stardust Crusaders > Phantom Blood

Quality of overall arc: Diamond is Unbreakable > Steel Ball Run > Stone Ocean > Battle Tendency > Stardust Crusaders > Phantom Blood > Vento Aureo

Stone Ocean contained the Westwood and Max Sports fight. :colbert:

Also - man, I didn't know sales for Season 3 were that bad. Here's hope it's good enough to get Part 4 animated on a proper budget.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Saw someone on /a/ mentioning this and had to gif it. David, man...

The steps also move on the Avdol, Iggy and Polnareff bit to move Polpol down a single step too.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Not really feeling the song, but the OP itself is a marvelous tease.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ZeroCount posted:

I am not a sales-ologist, but with something like this, wouldn't you expect an initial huge surge of sales that settles down to a steady low-grade purchase rate as the hardcore fans mostly got theirs, and those with cash flow problems or more casualness to them got into it? So I would not be super shocked to see the blu-rays of part 1 of season 2 here 'drop like a rock' around now. The question would be where it peaked.

You also would have to consider what it would look like once they do, you know, finish the story. I have no idea how the Japanese market buys things, but 'it's been animated before' - this show is really not a lot like the old OAV, and that in turn was like fifteen, twenty years ago. I have no idea how many people would go "I bought a completely different version of this on VHS 15-20 years ago... meh".

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

ZeroCount posted:

good. maybe they wont drag part 4 out to poo poo now

CaptainFish
Mar 31, 2011

It's Psy-Crow my mortal Enemy! I swear my soily vengeance upon him and his fowl ilk!
It's been a long time since I've seen the OVAs so I don't remember much, but I feel like the new OP and song fit my general recollection of the Egypt arc being dangerous and having brutal and sad moments. The OP really makes me wish the whole series was out now. I really like the song too, can't wait to hear the full version.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Aurain posted:

Saw someone on /a/ mentioning this and had to gif it. David, man...

The steps also move on the Avdol, Iggy and Polnareff bit to move Polpol down a single step too.

At first I thought you were pointing out the reference to the knife throwing scene and wondered why you made a gif of just the hand... and then I saw it. :allears:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Nessus posted:

I am not a sales-ologist, but with something like this, wouldn't you expect an initial huge surge of sales that settles down to a steady low-grade purchase rate as the hardcore fans mostly got theirs, and those with cash flow problems or more casualness to them got into it? So I would not be super shocked to see the blu-rays of part 1 of season 2 here 'drop like a rock' around now. The question would be where it peaked.

You also would have to consider what it would look like once they do, you know, finish the story. I have no idea how the Japanese market buys things, but 'it's been animated before' - this show is really not a lot like the old OAV, and that in turn was like fifteen, twenty years ago. I have no idea how many people would go "I bought a completely different version of this on VHS 15-20 years ago... meh".

The first season had English subtitles while this one doesn't, maybe the lost of imports caused the drop in sales.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Star Platinum posted:

At first I thought you were pointing out the reference to the knife throwing scene and wondered why you made a gif of just the hand... and then I saw it. :allears:

Okay someone explain because I'm a blind idiot who's not seeing anything past the knifves.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

His finger twitches.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Okay someone explain because I'm a blind idiot who's not seeing anything past the knifves.

his finger twitches in the frozen time

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i really like the ending song of the new season of stardust but i guess i have the hindsight of what actually happens to put it in context.

i mean, this poo poo isn't dragonball z. no need to have super crazy music all the time.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'm legitimately amused that people have noticed subtle finger twitches before mentioning the fact that Silver Chariot has two swords in the opening. :allears:

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
At the rate that the hidden spoilers in the opening are going, I'm kinda expecting that the opening to part six will start off with a flash-back to the spiral staircase of the first opening before dissolving with a Hercules beetle wipe.

There will be more, but just like I missed the finger twitch, I'll miss those too.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

FH_Meta posted:

At the rate that the hidden spoilers in the opening are going, I'm kinda expecting that the opening to part six will start off with a flash-back to the spiral staircase of the first opening before dissolving with a Hercules beetle wipe.

There will be more, but just like I missed the finger twitch, I'll miss those too.

There's gotta be a still-shot of Jolyne and Annasui running away from the camera, and the camera will zoom out as they will shrink abnormally fast as the background grows in size.

JoJo is filled with this type of poo poo you can do. I hope part 5 OP / ED has a shot of the turtle, that turns into a silhouette that looks like Polnareff for a few frames.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
I think the big factor in the likelihood of parts 4 and on being animated isn't the performance of BDs compared to season 1, but compared to David's other shows. If Stardust Crusaders outsells hyper dimension neptunia (that was their anime between parts 2 and 3, right?) then it's still more profitable to keep making Jojo's.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Ibram Gaunt posted:

His finger twitches.

DAMMIT that's subtle.

Also digging the OP music, putting the 3 vocalists from the past OPs together makes it sound like a JAM Project song. The ORAORAORAORAORA bit is pretty cheesy though.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

They're huge fans, and looking at numbers compared to everything else it's selling mediocre rather than bad. Massive weeblords and otakus are about the only people that buy anime BDs, and about the only thing that breaks those kinds of numbers is the stuff that's specifically aimed at the otaku market :shrug:

Pomp fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 11, 2015

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
Also BD/DVD sales aren't everything. If they think it has an impact on manga sales, or SAS/Statue Legend sales, that'll also factor into its likelihood of continuing. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless something more official makes a part 4 adaptation sound less feasible.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

Also BD/DVD sales aren't everything. If they think it has an impact on manga sales, or SAS/Statue Legend sales, that'll also factor into its likelihood of continuing. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless something more official makes a part 4 adaptation sound less feasible.
Are they getting a per-view payout from Crunchyroll? If that comes out larger than BD sales to us round-eyed devils, then that would help Part 4, not hurt it.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm more concerned about why the anime crowd hasn't gone crazy over a top tier waifu like Polnareff

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Did they animate when he poops in the tub and gets his dick washed as a baby and can't figure out why he likes it but knows it's cool somehow? I'm saving the whole series for when it's done

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

Did they animate when he poops in the tub and gets his dick washed as a baby and can't figure out why he likes it but knows it's cool somehow? I'm saving the whole series for when it's done

psychedelics are good a h*ck

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Are you telling me you think those things don't happen, because they do

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Nessus posted:

Are they getting a per-view payout from Crunchyroll? If that comes out larger than BD sales to us round-eyed devils, then that would help Part 4, not hurt it.

They don't get a per view payment but the way CR does it is like, a certain part of your subscription fee goes to the production companies and it's based on what you watch, so if you subscribed and only watch Jojo, they'd get all of that money. I kind of doubt that would have a significant factor on continuing it though, it's probably a relative pittance.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

That's about 3 months away I think

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Nice I'm stoked for the elementary school Jotaro smackdown

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Are you telling me you think those things don't happen, because they do

I think they're saving that as a special feature for the BD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
They WILL animate the baby Polnareff penis wash, mark my words.

• Locked thread