Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yup, I'm hedging my bets a bit because it can be difficult to adjudicate whether an effect you're creating is more or less valuable than simply dealing damage.

That is a pretty good point & it does make the martial's turn slightly more complex (and thus more interesting to play).

How do you account for the uneven stat distribution problem? Like, I could easily see this working flawlessly in TAAC since your stats start between 8-13 and improve at the players choice as they level up, but in Basic aren't you fixed to a single stat distribution? So a 12 STR fighter is always going to have no more than a 60% chance to akido anything regardless of level, whereas the guy who got a 15 in his initial roll is flat out better and always will be no matter what.

Mormon Star Wars posted:

I wonder if it would be any fun to make simple casters by giving them choices for magic at-will attacks and then making a Weapons Mastery style bonus chart that would give it better abilities as they leveled.

That could be fun, though as gradenko said, it would be tricky to come up with a totally new framework for that from the ground up that would be balanced with the rest of the game.

If you went full Weapons Mastery style you could try a list of different powers/effects that you could choose to specialize in which would add different things as you put ranks in them (stunning/slowing effects for Ice magic, maybe some Damage over Time effects for Fire, etc.), but you'd probably want to add in regular Weapon Mastery also so that they wouldn't overwhelm the non-caster characters in terms of having fun stuff to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Bob Quixote posted:

How do you account for the uneven stat distribution problem? Like, I could easily see this working flawlessly in TAAC since your stats start between 8-13 and improve at the players choice as they level up, but in Basic aren't you fixed to a single stat distribution? So a 12 STR fighter is always going to have no more than a 60% chance to akido anything regardless of level, whereas the guy who got a 15 in his initial roll is flat out better and always will be no matter what.

With regards to the Fighter always having the same chance to pull off a combat maneuver regardless of level: I don't really see a problem with it. He has a 60% chance to suplex a goblin today, but a couple weeks from now and he's suplexing an ogre. By name level he's breaking a dragon's spine on his knee. Eventually he'll be able to wrastle the incorporeal form of a demi-lich. Or something.

With regards to one Fighter being flat-out better than the other guy because of their stat rolls: every player does [4d6 drop lowest] six times, but then everyone agrees to use the same set of 6 numbers. The Thief could be just as good as the Fighter in pulling off STR-related combat maneuvers, but at the cost of having lower DEX than he might otherwise want, because he's using the same set of ability scores as the other guy.

On a somewhat related note ...

I dug up and listed a bunch of different ability score generation methods, but nothing so far about increasing ability scores as you level up pre-3rd Edition, even as houserules. Ditto for a "standard array", which makes sense since a standard array also needs ability score increases to work. There's a primitive point-buy system in Dark Sun below, but even that still has randomness built into it.

AD&D
* Roll 4d6 and discard the lowest roll, six times, assign as desired
* Roll 3d6 twelve times and keep the six best totals, assign as desired
* Roll 3d6 six times and take the best total, in order
* Use [3d6 six times, in order] for twelve sets, then pick a single set considered best
* Roll 3d6 six times, in order, but a result of 1 is considered a 3 and a result of 6 is considered a 4 (technically for use in NPC generation)
* Roll 3d6 six times, in order, but if you are rolling for the primary ability of a character (assuming you already have a class in mind), add a 1 to every die under a 6 (technically for use in NPC generation)

AD&D 2nd Edition - Dark Sun Campaign Setting
* Roll 4d4+4 six times, in order
* Roll 5d4 six times, in order (technically for use in NPC generation)
* Roll 5d4 twice and keep the higher total, six times, in order
* Roll 5d4 six times, assign as desired
* Roll 5d4 twelve times and keep the six best totals, assign as desired
* Roll 6d4 and discard the lowest roll, six times, assign as desired
* All ability scores start at 10. Roll 10d4. Individual d4 results can be added to an ability score, as long as it does not exceed 20

For Gold and Glory (AD&D 2nd Edition retroclone)
* Roll 4d4+2 six times, assign as desired
* Roll 4d4, add the total to 60. Assign the points to ability scores as desired, provided a score is not lower than 3 or higher than 18

I'm also looking into compiling different skill systems used by retroclones to serve as points of comparison.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

With regards to one Fighter being flat-out better than the other guy because of their stat rolls: every player does [4d6 drop lowest] six times, but then everyone agrees to use the same set of 6 numbers. The Thief could be just as good as the Fighter in pulling off STR-related combat maneuvers, but at the cost of having lower DEX than he might otherwise want, because he's using the same set of ability scores as the other guy.

Ah I see - that makes a lot more sense now... also, I don't think I've ever seen a setup like that where the PC's share stats before. It sounds like a pretty neat mechanic!

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

I dug up and listed a bunch of different ability score generation methods, but nothing so far about increasing ability scores as you level up pre-3rd Edition, even as houserules. Ditto for a "standard array", which makes sense since a standard array also needs ability score increases to work. There's a primitive point-buy system in Dark Sun below, but even that still has randomness built into it.

One I saw for BECMI (the BE part) was: roll 4d4, discard the lowest. Up until level 9 you add 1 to a prime requisite stat every odd numbered level (including level 1), and 1 to another stat every even numbered level. This had problems, to say the least.

What about altering that to: take a standard array of 13, 12, 12, 10, 9, 8* and proceed as above? (Still thinking BECMI here).

*or 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, or 13, 12, 10, 10, 9, 8 or something - the idea being that you'll get an 18 in your main stat by name level.

e: If we're talking about a build-your-own oldschool D&D here, one of the things that's always right at the front of my mind is that the game should really go from levels 1-10, because 20 (or 30 or 40) levels is a loving shitload of levels. If you did this and had a midrange starter array like above, you could even just have "add 1 to every stat every level" or "add 1 to three stats every level" or something.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 7, 2015

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
My preferred stat-generation method for B/X and its derivatives comes from ACKS: each player rolls 3d6 in order four times, choosing one of the arrays for their main character, and should their main character die they can bring in a new 1st-level character using one of the other arrays. I also like to use the carousing rule from ACKS: you can always choose to spend your ill-gotten goods on carousing and other vanity, and a certain amount of said money goes into a bank from which you can give your new character XP should you need a new character.

Bringing in a new character can also be done if your main character would be taken out of action for a great period of time, whether through recovery, spell research or whatever else.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I'm not entirely sure where this question should go but since we're playing 3.5 I guess this works.

My DM lost a bet and as a result my character for our next campaign will be a bear of any class. I'm trying to figure out ways to spice up this next playthrough. Ranger would be hilarious, especially if I get some kind of animal companion. I might try to roll him as a necromancer and argue my way into summoning bear skeletons or ghouls or something...I'm not sure yet.

Any thoughts about how to "enhance" my party's enjoyment of playing with a bear?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Thumbtacks posted:

I'm not entirely sure where this question should go but since we're playing 3.5 I guess this works.

My DM lost a bet and as a result my character for our next campaign will be a bear of any class. I'm trying to figure out ways to spice up this next playthrough. Ranger would be hilarious, especially if I get some kind of animal companion. I might try to roll him as a necromancer and argue my way into summoning bear skeletons or ghouls or something...I'm not sure yet.

Any thoughts about how to "enhance" my party's enjoyment of playing with a bear?

You could be a dancing bear. I can't remember if bards totally suck in 3.5 though.

e: Could you be a bear with a Ranger or Druid companion? Like, reverse the whole thing?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
My first thought was to be a ranger and have long conversations with my wolf that no one understood just to annoy everyone

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Thumbtacks posted:

My first thought was to be a ranger and have long conversations with my wolf that no one understood just to annoy everyone
Familiars and animals already have the potential to annoy every other player. Dont do this!

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

There's actually a dedicated 3.5 thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3416565

But while you're here, I'd suggest you basically play your character as Chewbacca: conspire with one of your fellow players to have them play a character that can speak with you, communicate entirely to the group by passing notes to that player and making growling noises. Also that might also get annoying and horrible if you don't keep it sort of low-key.

As far as classes go, it's hard to go wrong as a bear, but I'd suggest something that capitalizes on your large size.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
Well, I just rolled up my character for a friend's OSR game, using Swords and Wizardry with some house rules.

I decided to go with a fighter.

I got 4 HP on a d12+1.

It's going to be an interesting career.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

As much as I love randomized character generation, HP randomization is really boring--it's pretty much just a raw "you are less effective" rather than something you can actually use to inspire the way you think about your character. Rolling stats has bad sides, but it has enough good that I still like to do it. Rolling HP, especially at level 1, is pretty much all negative in my eyes.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

OtspIII posted:

As much as I love randomized character generation, HP randomization is really boring--it's pretty much just a raw "you are less effective" rather than something you can actually use to inspire the way you think about your character. Rolling stats has bad sides, but it has enough good that I still like to do it. Rolling HP, especially at level 1, is pretty much all negative in my eyes.
The house rule is you can keep rolling each HP die every time you level, and if you roll better, you get more HP.

But does it matter? With d12 hp, I'm still dying in 1-2 hits even with max HP.

SwimGood
Jan 2, 2015
That's my take on it as well (Re: Re-Rolling HP). I don't see how giving max HP makes much of a difference when most character's are rolling 50% or worse to hit at 1st level.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ascendance posted:

The house rule is you can keep rolling each HP die every time you level, and if you roll better, you get more HP.

But does it matter? With d12 hp, I'm still dying in 1-2 hits even with max HP.

I think I remember reading that was the default rule in Empire of the Petal Throne as well.

I was also surprised to discover that they were the inventor of the first Critical Hit set-up in games, which is a neat little bit of history. I really liked what I had read about that game setting, but it's a shame that it's so hyper-detailed and specific that no-one really wants to adventure there compared to 'generic Tolkienesque/Sword-n-Sorcery grab-bag-world'.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Bob Quixote posted:

I think I remember reading that was the default rule in Empire of the Petal Throne as well.

I was also surprised to discover that they were the inventor of the first Critical Hit set-up in games, which is a neat little bit of history. I really liked what I had read about that game setting, but it's a shame that it's so hyper-detailed and specific that no-one really wants to adventure there compared to 'generic Tolkienesque/Sword-n-Sorcery grab-bag-world'.
lol, you know this is a classic rant from Tarnowski, right? He thinks the classic, high adventure setting from Barker got ruined by a bunch of spergy nerds.

Truth is, running Glorantha in this day and age would have similar challenges.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
On HP: My last OSR game we did do rolled stats, but still went with max HP at level 1 and "whole CON score is added to max HP" as houserules.

---

Someone posted about "Dagger" in the general chat thread, which is a simplified version of the OSR for kids, and it has some interesting ideas:

* There are no ability scores, at all. Everyone starts at a +1 attack bonus.

* Fighters are now Knights. They get 2 attacks per round, and their AC is automatically 2, and they gain 1 attack bonus every level.
* Wizards automatically have an AC of 9, and they can cast 2 spells, and can cast 2 more with every character level. 1 attack bonus every 3 levels

* Elves automatically have an AC of 5, and they can cast 1 spell, and can cast 1 more with every character level. 1 attack bonus every 2 levels.
* Dwarves automatically have an AC of 2, and they can see in the dark, and will automatically find any hidden doors. 1 attack bonus every 2 levels.
* Halflings automatically have an AC of 6, and they are "nearly invisible and silent when sneaking around". 1 attack bonus every 3 levels.

* Everyone has the same Saving Throw score: 15, and it decreases by 2 every level

* Skill checks: roll a 1d6, and as a baseline a roll of 1 or 2 will result in success, with the DM adjusting the threshold based on assumed character skill and difficulty of the task.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

On HP: My last OSR game we did do rolled stats, but still went with max HP at level 1 and "whole CON score is added to max HP" as houserules.
Ive used variations of this for 2e and it works pretty well.

I also used a split HP/Health system that required some bookkeeping on my side but worked nicely for narrative.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ascendance posted:

lol, you know this is a classic rant from Tarnowski, right? He thinks the classic, high adventure setting from Barker got ruined by a bunch of spergy nerds.

I'm not sure how that makes sense - isn't Tekkumel's inherent sperginess what makes it basically unplayable by pretty much anyone in the first place?

Completely unique settings with their own detailed history and language and cultures and stuff are fun to read about in books, but expecting a bunch of people who aren't fanatically devoted to that same setting to try and figure out how to play games in it just sounds like a tedious chore.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Someone posted about "Dagger" in the general chat thread, which is a simplified version of the OSR for kids, and it has some interesting ideas:

* Fighters are now Knights. They get 2 attacks per round, and their AC is automatically 2, and they gain 1 attack bonus every level.
* Wizards automatically have an AC of 9, and they can cast 2 spells, and can cast 2 more with every character level. 1 attack bonus every 3 levels

* Elves automatically have an AC of 5, and they can cast 1 spell, and can cast 1 more with every character level. 1 attack bonus every 2 levels.
* Dwarves automatically have an AC of 2, and they can see in the dark, and will automatically find any hidden doors. 1 attack bonus every 2 levels.
* Halflings automatically have an AC of 6, and they are "nearly invisible and silent when sneaking around". 1 attack bonus every 3 levels.

* Everyone has the same Saving Throw score: 15, and it decreases by 2 every level

* Skill checks: roll a 1d6, and as a baseline a roll of 1 or 2 will result in success, with the DM adjusting the threshold based on assumed character skill and difficulty of the task.

Those are some pretty neat ideas all around, and I'm glad to hear that someone is trying to make more RPG's for the younger crowd.

Is there a link to a website for this project that I could check out? I want to see if they've simplified the spells too and maybe mine it for ideas for the game I'm gonna run.

Bob Quixote fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 11, 2015

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

gradenko_2000 posted:

This seems really, really awesome. here's a link to the free version:
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/111525/Dagger-for-Kids-Free-Version-Supplemental-Rules-for-Classic-Roleplaying-with-Kids

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

ascendance posted:

While I'm not really into Tekumel itself, I am into Glorantha. I can say that the best big example of how to run detail heavy settings like Glorantha and Tekumel is actually the Elder Scrolls. There's a ton of crazy, detailed lore (as a visit to the subreddit TESLore would demonstrate) but the games implement it in a way that doesn't interfere with day-to-day adventuring at all. The fact that Akatosh is Alduin is Auriel all at the same time and yet they're all distinct entities and Akatosh was probably created by Alessia as a political attempt to reconcile Nord and Altmer concepts doesn't get in the way at all of running around killing Falmer in Skyrim. The detail is spice in the dish of solid adventure. Perhaps the materials could do a better job of telling people "You don't need to hit your players over the head with Orlanthi customs to play a game and not sell the cultures short" but I think this is improving.

Also I know it's part of forums culture and all (there's a goon-created Skyrim mod called SPERG which is just... c'mon son) but could we refrain from using that term?

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
It has long struck me as the damnedest shame at both Glorantha and Tekumel missed the limelight that D&D got in terms of the breadth of having people get in on the lot of it and mess around in full the world over---though Glorantha is at least faring far better in terms of that giant/amazing "Guide to" book and the King of Dragon Pass / forthcoming Six Ages on the computer game front versus that one new Tekumel edition KS that made it awhile back. They each have such jam-packed settings and have been hard at it for decades now.

Even just the "What If" factor if somehow either of the two had gotten in on the ground floor first in any given region and had a chance to grow and mutate properly---I can't even fathom the direction in Japan in terms of Record of Lodoss War had it drawn from either instead for instance.

There's this crazy old guy, in the nifty eccentric way, that ran around with Barker and all back in the day that is still at it---once had a drat interesting series of videos that were lost on some no-name video site that went into his recollections and the outright history of the oldest days of Tekumel, D&D, how they all ran into each other in the then growing niche that would become the major players, etc...only saw the first vid but seemingly the rest were lost to the void before I could work the others through the backlog. Coming into it knowing very little of Tekumel, it was pretty informative.

http://chirinesworkbench.blogspot.com/ Though on checking it now for the first time in awhile, it looks like he might have salvaged at least some of those old videos and put them up on Youtube---gonna have to dig in and see to what extent, but it looks like at least the first video managed to make it over intact!

Even now, he's still kinda at it and planning to run a game at a convention this coming March---serious dedication right there.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Well, there are the upcoming 13th Age Glorantha books.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Evil Mastermind posted:

Well, there are the upcoming 13th Age Glorantha books.

Yes, most likely these are going to be the silver bullet for convincing people who think Glorantha is a lecture about comparative Bronze Age mythology to actually try a game. Don't forget that one of the books they're doing is a system neutral intro to Glorantha book.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Does anyone have any experience of using How to Host a Dungeon for dungeon prep? The author of the game has stated that he uses it for his Moldvay Basic game and it looks like it'd be a fun tool for creating a sprawling underworld with lots of different interacting factions. I might have to give it a spin for my next B/X game.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
On the perennial discussion of how to improve Vancian casting*: another idea I had today - whenever a character casts a spell, they roll a 1d4.

If it comes up a 1, that spell slot recharges after this encounter, and can be used in the next encounter
If it comes up a 2, that spell slot recharges after the next encounter, and can be used 1 encounter later
If it comes up a 3, that spell slot recharges after 2 encounters, can be used 3 encounters later
If it comes up a 4, that spell slot recharges after 3 encounters, can be used 4 encounters later

Using the generic definition of "encounter" as both actual combat, or as a non-combat interlude/series of skill checks. Or in a straight dungeon crawl, 1 room is 1 encounter, whether you clear it of monsters or not. If the party takes a narrative break, that can count as well.

For Magic-Users, you can choose to allow them to select a new spell for the slot, or not.

Perhaps higher level spells will require larger dice, or the use "only 1 spell of its kind memorized" rule, or spell slots will only recharge this way once.

Long/8 hour rests are still the way to completely recharge all your spell slots with no exceptions.

This may need some 13th Age-style OOC rulings on what counts as a break so that casters can't just smoke a cig while waiting for their Hold Portal to come back or something.

* whether it's spell points, saving throws to cast/retain spells, spellcasting ability checks, banning spells or rewriting the spellbook, the overall aim is to create a situation where the MU doesn't fire off one Sleep at level 1 then mentally signs off until the group is "allowed" to take an 8 hour rest, while also not letting them spam Sleep every encounter either.

====

EDIT: I had a question: Shouldn't a critical strike also double the flat damage modifiers on top of rolling the damage dice twice, to produce a true 2x damage potential?

(it was also a fun bit of digging around to discover that critical strikes weren't even part of the official rules until AD&D 2E, and even then only as optional rules)

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 11, 2015

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Ratpick posted:

Does anyone have any experience of using How to Host a Dungeon for dungeon prep? The author of the game has stated that he uses it for his Moldvay Basic game and it looks like it'd be a fun tool for creating a sprawling underworld with lots of different interacting factions. I might have to give it a spin for my next B/X game.

I ran it with my group as a gag one shot. Naturally. since it's out of game random generation one of the keys is to adjust results according to what would be interesting. Don't let the ancient races die out super fast, for instance. The areas you create are intended to be dungeon levels, so it doesn't do a lot of the work for you.

Actually, it might be a hilarious blast to run it with each area you create as a single room, but it would be super high intensity because you'd have a dragon next to a demon lord.

If I was using it to generate a 'real' dungeon I'd probably also hack it based on what creature races I wanted to use. Which is to say, if you want to post what additional creatures/races you wanted to introduce then we could hack it here.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

Gradenko, a short rest is all a wizard needs to recharge spells at low levels. I can only speak for 2e but a wizard type doesnt need eight hours at low levels. A level one wizard should be able to sling around magic every encounter or so. It takes them ten minutes per spell level per spell to prepare. So its ten minutes o prep to cast that sleep again. Its also worth reconsidering the paradigm of wizards, they arent combat participants as much as dungeon problem solvers. Consider doling out a wand or some scrolls if you want more combat viability too, being able to use a couple charges of an item instead of a spell slot is helpful. Then when its time for an extended rest, they can recharge.

As for crits? Thats what i did, double dice, double modifiers, it got fairly brutal. Great for players, but rough when you roll a critical on them. Something im a fan of is max damage on the basic, roll your dice again and add, if you want to make it more impressive.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Quantumfate posted:

Consider doling out a wand or some scrolls if you want more combat viability too, being able to use a couple charges of an item instead of a spell slot is helpful. Then when its time for an extended rest, they can recharge.
Theres also the kind of item that only casts a spell of two but recharges those effects 1/day. So a staff that can "store" an extra magic missile and shield makes a nice backup for early levels. Or one that has a spare detect magic/ read magic or whatever. Last game I ran the wizard received a final "youre not an apprentice anymore" gift that was able to store a couple of distinct spells. (Running through single origin-story episodes helps add some custom tweaks but still keep a good shared narrative.)

I usually made it so that the mage had to decide to "cast" the spell into the device, and then rememorize it themselves, but I was big on time tracking and it worked out that was as another decision/resource.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Quantumfate posted:

Gradenko, a short rest is all a wizard needs to recharge spells at low levels. I can only speak for 2e but a wizard type doesnt need eight hours at low levels. A level one wizard should be able to sling around magic every encounter or so. It takes them ten minutes per spell level per spell to prepare. So its ten minutes to prep to cast that sleep again.

This seems like a good rule. At least, if you're playing a game that doesn't have a totally broken version of sleep.

It's not in RC though,

(Basic) Rules Cyclopedia posted:

After a spell is cast, the character cannot rememorize
it until he is well-rested.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

DalaranJ posted:

It's not in RC though,
It was one way that things could be done in 2e.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

Like I said, I can only speak for 2e. But I know with certainty that's in the PHB

FRINGE posted:

Theres also the kind of item that only casts a spell of two but recharges those effects 1/day. So a staff that can "store" an extra magic missile and shield makes a nice backup for early levels. Or one that has a spare detect magic/ read magic or whatever. Last game I ran the wizard received a final "youre not an apprentice anymore" gift that was able to store a couple of distinct spells. (Running through single origin-story episodes helps add some custom tweaks but still keep a good shared narrative.)

I usually made it so that the mage had to decide to "cast" the spell into the device, and then rememorize it themselves, but I was big on time tracking and it worked out that was as another decision/resource.

I love that idea of a parting gift. Might steal it for the future. And to recharge magic items in 2e:

quote:

To recharge an item, it must first be enchanted either through the use of an enchant an item spell or prayer, as noted above. Once prepared, new charges can be cast into the item. One benefit of recharging an item is that each charge requires only the spells' normal casting time (not the 2d4 hours per spell level normally required by the enchant an item spell).
However, recharging is not without risk to the item. Each time the item is enchanted to recharge, it must roll a saving throw vs. spell (using the saving throw of the caster) with a -1 penalty. If this saving throw is failed, the character has accidentally interfered with the magic of the item and it crumbles into useless dust.

So it's something that can be done when the wizard is taking a long rest.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

FRINGE posted:

It was one way that things could be done in 2e.

Sorry, to reword that post so it makes more sense I should have written something more like,

DalaranJ posted:

A good 2e rule. I wish it was in 1e, but it is not.

I would like to hear more about good 2e rules that are not in 1e.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Quantumfate posted:

I can only speak for 2e but a wizard type doesnt need eight hours at low levels. A level one wizard should be able to sling around magic every encounter or so. It takes them ten minutes per spell level per spell to prepare. So its ten minutes o prep to cast that sleep again.
This is weird, because I saw the same interpretation of this in the D&D podcast Nerd Poker, where they let spellcasters recharge during short breaks. They also thought casting time was always in rounds, though, so...

Anyway, I am fairly sure that a 1st level wizard in 2E can cast one spell per day.

From page 81 of the horseman cover of the 2E PHB:

quote:

The number of spells a wizard can memorize is given by his level (see Table 21); he can memorize the same spell more than once, but each memorization counts as one spell toward his daily memorization limit.

Basically, as you gain levels, you don't have to memorize all your spells. You can fill the slots with spells as you need them, but you need break periods to memorize them. It's a useful feature for utility spells, but a first level wizard shouldn't be able to reload his magic missile after each battle, at least as far as I can tell. (The video games also only let you cast a certain number of spells per day.)

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

jigokuman posted:

This is weird, because I saw the same interpretation of this in the D&D podcast Nerd Poker, where they let spellcasters recharge during short breaks. They also thought casting time was always in rounds, though, so...

Anyway, I am fairly sure that a 1st level wizard in 2E can cast one spell per day.

From page 81 of the horseman cover of the 2E PHB:

Basically, as you gain levels, you don't have to memorize all your spells. You can fill the slots with spells as you need them, but you need break periods to memorize them. It's a useful feature for utility spells, but a first level wizard shouldn't be able to reload his magic missile after each battle, at least as far as I can tell. (The video games also only let you cast a certain number of spells per day.)
The other method was also a variation, but I dont know where it was located.

It allows for easy replenishment of a low level spell during a rest break, but makes high level spells more difficult to regain than the "everything just comes back" method.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Hey, gradenko_2000, I just wanted to say I'm really liking some of the house rules you're posting here. I'm currently thinking of running a B/X based mega dungeon (using How to Host a Dungeon to create a floorplan of the dungeon as well as making a hex map for the lay of the land with it) and a lot of the stuff you're posting (including higher hit points at first level) matches what I want to do with the game.

Oh, and DalaranJ, there's not really anything I'd add to the tables in HtHaD, because most of the monster types in there already match stuff you can easily find in B/X and I want to make this game as "vanilla" as possible. I'm currently debating whether I'll just have Dwarves for the Age of Civilization or try to run both Dwarves and Dark Elves/Demons. The latter would give the Dwarven civilization a foe to fight against and allow me to inject a bit of lore into the dungeon in the form of dwarven historical records (since the players will probably enter the dungeon through the dwarven mine shaft).

It was already my intention to fudge some of the rolls while prepping so I can inject a bit of design into the randomness. The couple times I've played I've had one monster group become a nigh-unstoppable steamroller that takes over all of the underworld and what I really want is to have multiple different factions of monsters duking it out in the underworld. Also, I want at least one of the alpha predators to survive through the age of monsters to have at least one big bad that's a faction unto themselves in the dungeon.

Once I have prepped a successful dungeon I'll try to get access to a scanner so I can post it and start brainstorming about how to stock the dungeon.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
You're welcome! TSR D&D was already old by the time I was born, so I'm glad someone's getting some value out of stuff I figured would be long-tread-over by now.

Quantumfate posted:

Gradenko, a short rest is all a wizard needs to recharge spells at low levels. I can only speak for 2e but a wizard type doesnt need eight hours at low levels. A level one wizard should be able to sling around magic every encounter or so. It takes them ten minutes per spell level per spell to prepare. So its ten minutes o prep to cast that sleep again. Its also worth reconsidering the paradigm of wizards, they arent combat participants as much as dungeon problem solvers. Consider doling out a wand or some scrolls if you want more combat viability too, being able to use a couple charges of an item instead of a spell slot is helpful. Then when its time for an extended rest, they can recharge.

As for crits? Thats what i did, double dice, double modifiers, it got fairly brutal. Great for players, but rough when you roll a critical on them. Something im a fan of is max damage on the basic, roll your dice again and add, if you want to make it more impressive.

I don't mark down time in my games, so I think my adaptation of your suggestion would be "every other encounter per spell level", so you could cast Magic Missiles in rooms 1, 3, 5, or Web in rooms 1, 4, 7, and so on. Virtually abstracting a single encounter as 5 minutes.

On crits: Next made me an instant convert of averaged damage rolls for monsters, so I think I'll just run with different damage rules for players and monsters.

Also, your "max damage to the first damage dice, second damage dice still gets rolled, flat modifiers get doubled" is the perfect adaptation to 4th Edition's style, and I'm definitely adopting it. Thanks!

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 12, 2015

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
How do people feel about Saving Throws in general? Because in the various retroclones that I've checked out the ones that aren't trying to do a 100% faithful recreation of 'Edition X' almost always simplify them from the original tables. I prefer the idea of a simpler save myself, but good saves is one of the Fighters distinguishing traits on the older editions and giving everyone the exact same target numbers would sort of strip them of that.

I thought a good compromise would be to have a single save number for each class, but the Fighter's save would still be the best overall and the Magic User would just get a bonus to their Save if it's against a spell (since vs. Spells was the only category where the MU had a better score than the Fighter). I also like the idea of adding stat bonuses to your roll depending on the type (DEX bonus to your save for dodging, etc.)

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Help, I got lost in the wrong thread.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Stupidly responding to someone lost in the wrong thread :v:

• Locked thread