Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
theres a lot of romaji misspellings

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kanie Seiya is truly beautiful.

linall
Feb 1, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Take a drink every time you spot a death flag ~dead within seconds~

Seriously. If Kaori some-crazy-how lives out this show, everything I know about anime is wrong.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
It's really not that unbelievable, Kaori is meant to deliberately parallel Kousei's mother, down to the occasional bit of physical and emotional abuse. Except that this time Kousei is older and is going to do it right, and after Kaori collapses on stage and becomes bedridden, Kousei will find within himself the strength to ~carry on~.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
I am excited for next episode. Ever since I read the corresponding manga chapter I have been waiting for it to be animated. Probably my favorite so far.

If you paid attention in this episode you should be able to guess at some of what will happen.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Phobophilia posted:

It's really not that unbelievable, Kaori is meant to deliberately parallel Kousei's mother, down to the occasional bit of physical and emotional abuse. Except that this time Kousei is older and is going to do it right, and after Kaori collapses on stage and becomes bedridden, Kousei will find within himself the strength to ~carry on~.

No that's what we are saying this chick was practically DOA

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

linall posted:

Seriously. If Kaori some-crazy-how lives out this show, everything I know about anime is wrong.

Twist in the end: Kaori lives, Tsubaki dies.

The death flag was for someone else all along!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

paragon1 posted:

No that's what we are saying this chick was practically DOA

Maybe I should add an extra sentence. This time Kousei's performance does reach the heavens and Kaori won't die.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
So she's dead/bedridden now I guess? It was obviously coming, but I didn't think it would happen like this. I wonder how he's going to explain away being a solo piano at a violin gala concert, if at all.

Btw I just binged this show over 2 days an it is amazing. Even some of the shoehorned comedy bits didn't suck.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
At this point I'm convinced that since there's is so much foreshadowing that she'll bite the dust, she will survive. Probably through the magical healing power of music.

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"

SweetBro posted:

At this point I'm convinced that since there's is so much foreshadowing that she'll bite the dust, she will survive. Probably through the magical healing power of music.

This is anime. Not only will she probably live, but we'll probably also find out that his Mom isn't even dead, she was just off looking for his cat the whole time. ~~HAPPY ENDING~~

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Phobophilia posted:

Maybe I should add an extra sentence. This time Kousei's performance does reach the heavens and Kaori won't die.

Never pegged you for an optimist Phobophilia.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I think it's pretty clear that Kaori will die. Somehow, this event will make Kousei a better musician. His mother's death moved him from B2 to B4. Now, Kaori's death will move him from B4 to B8. Queen me. Check mate. Off into the sunset goes our new master musician. It's sad the deaths he's suffered, but his music is wonderful because of it.....

Or something like that.

The only question I have is whether or not he gets Tsubaki. They were childhood friends, after all. By all laws anime and such, they should end up together. That's the real suspense here.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Tsubaki deserves better.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Dan7el posted:

The only question I have is whether or not he gets Tsubaki. They were childhood friends, after all. By all laws anime and such, they should end up together. That's the real suspense here.
Childhood friends only win when they re-enter the protagonist's life at the start of the series. If they're with the protagonist at the start, abandon every hope.

First Girl rules trump everything else.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Dan7el posted:

I think it's pretty clear that Kaori will die. Somehow, this event will make Kousei a better musician. His mother's death moved him from B2 to B4. Now, Kaori's death will move him from B4 to B8. Queen me. Check mate. Off into the sunset goes our new master musician. It's sad the deaths he's suffered, but his music is wonderful because of it.....

Or something like that.

She's not tsundere, she's got no chance :smith:

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Everybody knows that since Kaori is gonna die, the One true kousei waifu will step up.

It's emi

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I play it so... you'll get used to sorrow.

holy dusty onion factory made of capsaicin powder

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"
Ah, yup... it looks like it's beginning to rain.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

OneDeadman posted:

Everybody knows that since Kaori is gonna die, the One true kousei waifu will step up.

It's emi
I for one, accept Charlie Brown as the new non-terminal love interest

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I have... sorely misjudged Arima oka-san

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

'His growth is spurred by sorrow..' So Kousei is basically Kenshiro with a piano.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Razzled posted:

I have... sorely misjudged Arima oka-san

Well, that was pretty much the sole point of the episode.

The evil mom ghost was entirely Arima's creation, as an excuse to stop playing to he didn't have to deal with the pain of being unable to hear the music he creates, but imo his mom is still a pretty lovely mom because she was so lost in her own desires that she was blinded to the true extent of Arima's suffering. It took him telling her to gently caress off to make her realize that.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

The evil mom ghost was entirely Arima's creation, as an excuse to stop playing to he didn't have to deal with the pain of being unable to hear the music he creates, but imo his mom is still a pretty lovely mom because she was so lost in her own desires that she was blinded to the true extent of Arima's suffering. It took him telling her to gently caress off to make her realize that.

Yea, lost in her own desire... to make sure Arima was ready for life after her death while trying to deal with said approaching death simultaneously, what a lovely mom :rolleyes:

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

She was in a really bad situation, and I am glad that Arima realised that she was not evil, but abuse is still abuse even if it has the best intentions behind it. I wouldn't call her a lovely mother all things considered, but she still messed her own son up for many years.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

AnacondaHL posted:

Yea, lost in her own desire... to make sure Arima was ready for life after her death while trying to deal with said approaching death simultaneously, what a lovely mom :rolleyes:

She beat him until he bled. Good intentions, lovely mothering.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Takoluka posted:

tl;dr for my post, basically.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Takoluka posted:

Not that I condone beating a child until they bleed, since (at least in modern western helicopter parenting carebear culture) that wouldn't fly, but at least she gave a poo poo about her kid, up until her last day alive. I can think of plenty worse things a lovely mother would actually do, especially ones dealing with their own approaching death.

But I'll concede the pedantic angle since everything under the 90th percentile can be considered poo poo tier on the Something Awful Forums. She's not winning any Mom Of The Year awards, nor any Hey You Were Decent participation ribbons, but there are different views on corporal punishment out there.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

:staredog:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

AnacondaHL posted:

but there are different views on corporal punishment out there.

They are the wrong views.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

He may have been beat until he bled, but at least she didn't beat him till he was unconscious. Things could've been worse! v:shobon:v

HiveCommander posted:

I for one, accept Charlie Brown as the new non-terminal love interest

I second this motion.

Alpha Kenny Juan fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 16, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

AnacondaHL obviously got a whuppin' as a child and it didn't do him no harm. :bahgawd:

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

ViggyNash posted:

Ok so I disagree with you and I'll explain why. With that last episode, and especially the flashbacks to Hiroko's memories post-smackdown we know a lot more about what was going on with his mom obviously. She wasn't lost in her own desires so much as completely stuck on the path they had chosen for Kousei when she was healthy. Imagine a single mother in America today whose only child is on track to become a musician but you're not sure if he'll be good enough (what is ever a sure thing in parenting?) to "make it" which is a common problem in the arts. Now throw into the mix the fact that you're not gonna be around to help him whether he makes it or not, but it's too late to change because it's the track you've put him on as a parent. I think her desperation to take care of him definitely got the better of her but I don't think him telling her to gently caress off made anything in her click. If anything it was catharsis for her because it was a moment where he showed true independence and maybe even represented hope that he would be able to take care of himself later on.

The one actual desire that Kousei's mother had was for him to live well and be able to take care of himself when she was gone.

oh god did i just sperg out about animes

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Razzled posted:

yess yesss it sustains us

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Razzled posted:

Ok so I disagree with you and I'll explain why. With that last episode, and especially the flashbacks to Hiroko's memories post-smackdown we know a lot more about what was going on with his mom obviously. She wasn't lost in her own desires so much as completely stuck on the path they had chosen for Kousei when she was healthy. Imagine a single mother in America today whose only child is on track to become a musician but you're not sure if he'll be good enough (what is ever a sure thing in parenting?) to "make it" which is a common problem in the arts. Now throw into the mix the fact that you're not gonna be around to help him whether he makes it or not, but it's too late to change because it's the track you've put him on as a parent. I think her desperation to take care of him definitely got the better of her but I don't think him telling her to gently caress off made anything in her click. If anything it was catharsis for her because it was a moment where he showed true independence and maybe even represented hope that he would be able to take care of himself later on.

The one actual desire that Kousei's mother had was for him to live well and be able to take care of himself when she was gone.

So her terminal illness made her desperate enough about her dream of turning Arima into a renown musician to abuse her child using corporal punishment, and even beat him bloody after he got a standing ovation from the audience.

Yeah...

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

AnacondaHL obviously got a whuppin' as a child and it didn't do him no harm. :bahgawd:

Nah, I'm an insignificant data point in the eventless childhood to boring adult demographic.

Happiness
Oct 10, 2004

AnacondaHL posted:

Not that I condone beating a child until they bleed, since (at least in modern western helicopter parenting carebear culture) that wouldn't fly, but at least she gave a poo poo about her kid, up until her last day alive. I can think of plenty worse things a lovely mother would actually do, especially ones dealing with their own approaching death.

But I'll concede the pedantic angle since everything under the 90th percentile can be considered poo poo tier on the Something Awful Forums. She's not winning any Mom Of The Year awards, nor any Hey You Were Decent participation ribbons, but there are different views on corporal punishment out there.

yikes

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

ViggyNash posted:

So her terminal illness made her desperate enough about her dream of turning Arima into a renown musician to abuse her child using corporal punishment, and even beat him bloody after he got a standing ovation from the audience.

Yeah...

I want to avoid turning this into an argument about what constitutes child abuse but that might be impossible. Frankly, sometimes children just can't see logic so it's hard to fault parents who choose a more tangible form of punishment as a way to correct behavior. That's not to say that it's the One Right Way or if it's even right at all. The point I guess is that she wasn't doing it out of spite or negligence, it was a genuine kind of desperate "tough love". So I guess how you view it depends on whether you put more weight on the intent or the utility of the action.

A parent-child relationship is a learning experience for both sides and there's always bound to be mistakes when people are pushed to their limits. It doesn't excuse her mistakes but I don't think it necessarily goes against the fact that ultimately she was doing everything out of love for Kousei. It's not like there's a book for "How to raise a self-sufficient musical genius despite constant tragedy".

gently caress you viggy why are you making me do this :spergin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Also, in non-depressing child abuse discussion, I loved how they had all the goofy crowd hype reaction shots, yet kept it real to include at least one obligatory dude who was dragged to the concert and would rather be watching football or something:

• Locked thread