Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

MockingQuantum posted:

The similarity to Rune Factory is the exact reason why I didn't ever get Fantasy Life, actually. I got the first RF because in theory i would love the poo poo out of that kind of game, but it turned out to be pretty half baked and I really didn't enjoy it at all. I take it the series improved by the third game?

The first two RF games are more proof-of-concepts more than anything else, and there's no real reason to play either of them. By the time of RF3, the series found its stride, and both RF3 and RF4 are definitely worth playing if you're still interested in FARM COMBAT. (RF4 has the best mechanics, but RF3 is still very playable and probably has the best cast of the series)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Rascyc posted:

I like to call this the cutscene problem, or sometimes even the voice acting problem if I am feeling really compulsive. I have the problem where I just get really burnt out on games that are cutscene heavy when I just want to play the RPG portion, but I still don't like skipping cutscenes or voice acting cause ~IT'S PART OF THE EXPERIENCE~. Older games I can at least read at my very fast reading speed and skim the dumb parts.

I couldn't live without awkward goofiness in my Japanese RPGs. The terrible voice acting, the often meme filled localization, the stories that never progress beyond the same shonen archetypes that have been done to death for 40 years.

I think I appreciate the craftsmanship more than the final product. Currently playing through Akiba's Trip which is a mediocre Yakuza style game with pointless RPG mechanics but goddammit if I don't love how stupidly sincere it is. Not only did someone design this game, someone thought it was interesting enough to give a really good localization for a foreign audience and that makes me happy for some reason.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Hopefully in the future they will have some type of handheld PC that runs Windows so I can play my Steam and GoG games on it.
They're called UMPCs. They're handheld and run desktop OS.
http://www.umpcportal.com/products/WiBrain/B1H
http://www.umpcportal.com/products/Ocosmos/OCS1

Agreed posted:

Anyone played Rogue Galaxy and can recommend it or not? Initial impression is I wish I'd played it back when it came out, since that's when I bought it and it was really impressive back then. But I've read that the story is pretty mediocre, which I could see coming from the studio. Great everything else, okay storytelling.
It's more competent than Ni No Kuni, because the AI asks you before using magic and can request to use items. You can also teleport between save points, which really cuts the backtracking time.
The final boss is a 10-stage unfun slog with no checkpoints, that can basically one-shot you in the final phase unless you know that he has two areas you can swing at.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

RickDaedalus posted:

I have Arcanum and I tried to play through a long time ago, but I stopped because the combat design was a giant turd. I wanna give the game another shot, but I don't want a repeat of the wolves and the bridge trolls in the first town. Is there anything I can do to make the combat bearable? I originally played as a sword guy, but I usually passed out after whiffing every strike.

I remember trying to look up cheats, but I couldn't find anything. If there aren't any, how can I build my character so I don't struggle so much in the beginning?
First install the stuff from the first post of this thread http://www.gog.com/forum/arcanum_of_steamworks_and_magick_obscura/must_have_arcanum_fan_patches_widescreen_and_more/page1

If you want super easy combat, then go magic and pick Harm, and then all the spells that have the word "Fire" in it, including elementals. You will walk through combat without blinking an eye, it's really that easy. Just drink mana potions. You also get teleportation for navigating easily and can go invisible to avoid encounters. Note, you should still throw a molotov at the bridge.

Tech is a lot more about crafting weaponry and bombs and using them intelligently, and it is also more nuanced with stats, so you might want to look up a FAQ for that. A lot of people say Tech is much more fun given Arcanum's setting, but it really does require patience and a lot of trial/error, or a FAQ.

That bridge is made a lot easier btw by just throwing molotovs from the starting area. Or you can talk your way through it if you've got the stats for it. Don't forget to do other stuff around town before you head over that bridge.

Agreed posted:

Anyone played Rogue Galaxy and can recommend it or not? Initial impression is I wish I'd played it back when it came out, since that's when I bought it and it was really impressive back then. But I've read that the story is pretty mediocre, which I could see coming from the studio. Great everything else, okay storytelling.
Actually the story is the reason anyone plays it at all, because it's literally Star Wars JRPG Edition. The gameplay is where it falters. It's basically a worse Ni No Kuni in that regard, but you can kind of side step it by abusing AoE skills. Unfortunately that means it is no longer an ARPG because you open a menu for that and just click a button and that's 95% of the gameplay. Oh and the dungeons are long as gently caress, I forgot about that.

[e]The reason why it ends up worse than Ni No Kuni is that if you don't use the AoE skills, fights start to take an eternity. And the enemy does a lot of damage because the people at Level 5 have no concept of effective HP, so you will end up using a lot of restorative stuff. You can see some of this when you play mid-game Ni No Kuni but it's not quite as bad as it was in Rogue Galaxy.

IMO just play Dark Cloud games instead unless you really want to see Star Wars JRPG Edition, in which case, well this is your game!

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jan 10, 2015

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Agreed posted:

Did any of the 360's handful of JRPGs turn out well? How about that Blue Dragon one (am I remembering that right?) with a bunch of Final Fantasy folks working on it?

Lost Odyssey is the one that had the FF folks working on it, and it's pretty fantastic. Definitely some flaws here and there, but overall excellent.

Tales of Vesperia, I believe, is 360 exclusive outside of Japan, and is the most fun Tales game I've played.

Blue Dragon is poo poo. It has, by far, the most annoying characters out of any game I've ever played. The story is terrible. The gameplay is mediocre at best. AVOID.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

Agreed posted:

That said, there are a ton of great PS3 games for RPG fans too and I'm glad I picked one up a few years back instead of a 360. Though at the time "it plays blu-rays!" was still a major, save-you-a-few-hundred-bucks selling point. Did any of the 360's handful of JRPGs turn out well? How about that Blue Dragon one (am I remembering that right?) with a bunch of Final Fantasy folks working on it?

From what little I played of it, Blue Dragon seemed like a pretty bland game overall, but it had a unique aspect with "charging" a turn to affect the turn order. The only 360 exclusive JRPG I'd recommend would be Lost Odyssey. It has a timed-hit style system if you're into those, and it's 1000 Years of Dream stories are generally pretty interesting to read though. A lot of people say Tales of Vesperia is worth it as well, but that game has a lot of problems plot-wise, and kind of controls like crap since it's still using Team Symphonia's rigid combo system.

As for Rogue Galaxy, it really depends on your tolerance for Level-5's action systems, and I barely made it past the prison dungeon before giving up on it. It feels like a hodgepodge of ideas they liked from other things and then just stuffed in, such as the skill upgrade system effectively being the Sphere Grid from FFX. I believe combat also heavily revolved around a gauge that depleted with virtually every action and felt very clunky from what I remember. Also, from what I've heard the item crafting system is one of those things that sounds like it's a cool idea on paper, but in practice ends up being one of the most hilariously convoluted things in existence.

Forest Thief Pud fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jan 10, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Agreed posted:

The story hits every single stereotype you can think of, but the gameplay's pretty fun and there is a shitload of side-content to keep you entertained for a long time. It's worth picking up if you can find it.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I am so down to play Star Wars JRPG. Awesome :) I have a really high tolerance for Level 5's bullshit, loved Dark Cloud 1 and 2, love their take on Dragon Quest. I was hoping the studio would put out just one game that is really on a par with their capability, since they get so much right, but nope. I find their art style really endearing and will probably enjoy Rogue Galaxy based on your descriptions, so after I beat some Final Fantasy games that I got in the sale I'll play it. Thanks very much.

I am hoping to pick up a cheap 360 to play some games I never got a chance to now that the console's lifespan is over. Lost Odyssey is the one I was thinking of, glad to hear it turned out well and I'll definitely pick it up.

One of my favorite combat systems is a sort of timed hit setup, in the Shadow Hearts games. I can dig that flow of combat and I like the sorta luck element it adds.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
P sure some of the ex-Aruze staff worked on Lost Odyssey. It's not as in-depth as the Judgement Ring but it still has a nice timing element.

Shadow Hearts 3 has some of the best JRPG combat ever. So does Grandia 3. Aaaand of course both of those games have garbage stories and characters.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Gamma Nerd posted:

P sure some of the ex-Aruze staff worked on Lost Odyssey. It's not as in-depth as the Judgement Ring but it still has a nice timing element.

A lot of town NPCs have the same sort of naming scheme as in Shadow Hearts, too.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Gamma Nerd posted:

Shadow Hearts 3 has some of the best JRPG combat ever. So does Grandia 3. Aaaand of course both of those games have garbage stories and characters.
All budget of SH3 went into boob jiggle and magic girl transformations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SelenicMartian posted:

Sounds like it was well spent.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

RickDaedalus posted:

I have Arcanum and I tried to play through a long time ago, but I stopped because the combat design was a giant turd. I wanna give the game another shot, but I don't want a repeat of the wolves and the bridge trolls in the first town. Is there anything I can do to make the combat bearable? I originally played as a sword guy, but I usually passed out after whiffing every strike.

I remember trying to look up cheats, but I couldn't find anything. If there aren't any, how can I build my character so I don't struggle so much in the beginning?

Arcanum is extremely unkind towards any kind of milquetoast or balanced build: you have to pick some kind of combat that you want to be good at (I recommend magic or no-tech melee for beginners, tech is really hard to pull off and guns outright suck) and go all-in. For a magic build, make an Elf with the Sold your Soul background and spend all your points on Harm and other magic spells (I recommend Purity of Water to effortlessly boost NPC friendliness into the stratosphere, Minor Heal and then whatever). Your magic affinity percentage actually determines the damage that your spells will do, so your first priority should be to get it all the way to 100%.

For a melee build, I don't really remember what I did, but I came up with something that worked really well and gave me a base chance to hit of 100%. I think it was a half-orc character with some background that adds strength and dexterity and the inital points spent into raising dexterity to 12 and the melee skill as high as it let me.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

the weird thing is that even though SH3 is a really cynical and blatant attempt to replicate the success of Covenant, and even though the wackiness levels are off the charts, i still like it a lot. The challenge is less completely nonexistent than Covenant's, the combo system is much improved especially with the Double mechanic, and Stellars are cool. And the soundtrack is awesome but it's Yoshitaka Hirota so that's basically to be expected.

The fact that the main character wields a lightsaber made of pure malice is pretty cool too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gamma Nerd posted:

the weird thing is that even though SH3 is a really cynical and blatant attempt to replicate the success of Covenant, and even though the wackiness levels are off the charts, i still like it a lot. The challenge is less completely nonexistent than Covenant's, the combo system is much improved especially with the Double mechanic, and Stellars are cool. And the soundtrack is awesome but it's Yoshitaka Hirota so that's basically to be expected.

The fact that the main character wields a lightsaber made of pure malice is pretty cool too.

Really? I found SH3 way easier than Covenant. You get some extremely broken poo poo way earlier on, especially if you're willing to abuse the blind ring items.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Agreed posted:

I am so down to play Star Wars JRPG. Awesome :) I have a really high tolerance for Level 5's bullshit, loved Dark Cloud 1 and 2, love their take on Dragon Quest.

I loved Dark Cloud 1 and 2 (2 is still one of my favorite RPGs) and DQ8, but I thought Rogue Galaxy was aggressively mediocre. Have fun running through giant S-shaped hallways that only exist to hide loads so they can have big "seamless" towns and dungeons. I spent a lot of time going through that game, yet I remember very little of it. It was just a dull slog.

I just want them to make another Dark Cloud. :(

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Gamma Nerd posted:

I just liked that the main character was more of a support character in battles than anything. Most JRPGs have the protagonist be a jack of all trades.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Heavy neutrino posted:

tech is really hard to pull off and guns outright suck
Unless you get the Tesla Cannon or whatever it's called which requires a combo of high-level gunsmith and electric skills. It one-shots most things.

Tech is hard because you have to go full nerd and give up physical development. Instead you'll wear perception-altering helmet and a suit of power armour. You'll still trip over the balanced sword and will lie flat on the floor with zero energy after one brothel session.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Really? I found SH3 way easier than Covenant. You get some extremely broken poo poo way earlier on, especially if you're willing to abuse the blind ring items.

On the other hand, enemies can and will combo you, and it's possible for a character to go from full health to about zero in one turn if you don't manage Stock correctly, as opposed to the like 3 enmeies in Covenant that used combos against you.

I suppose the blind ring items are still abusable as hell, which is not surprising since the Extreme in Covenant could kill Solomon with only a couple of turns. But I don't know where they are, since I'm not playing with a FAQ :v: Also not using Keys because that poo poo is way more boring and less satisfying than setting up elaborate buff/debuff and combo chains.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Devil survivor 2 was fun

How was that wild arms game on the psp

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Erebus posted:

I just want them to make another Dark Cloud. :(

I'd say White Knight Chronicles is Level 5 mashing together everything they've been doing for 10 years mashed together.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

al-azad posted:

I'd say White Knight Chronicles is Level 5 mashing together everything they've been doing for 10 years mashed together.
But Dark Cloud 1 and 2 were actually playable!

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Speaking of Dark Cloud 2/Dark Chronicle, was there ever a point where the monster transformations were at all useful? I've completed the game a couple of times and not used them at all beyond the one required bit when they're introduced.

It took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out that you had to charge up Monica's magic spells for them to do full damage, too. I thought they were just poo poo.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dr Snofeld posted:

Speaking of Dark Cloud 2/Dark Chronicle, was there ever a point where the monster transformations were at all useful? I've completed the game a couple of times and not used them at all beyond the one required bit when they're introduced.

It took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out that you had to charge up Monica's magic spells for them to do full damage, too. I thought they were just poo poo.

Evolving them gives rare items but other than monster only challenges there's really no point because they all suck.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Even the mech exists only in two states: slow pointless poo poo and a flying nova cannon death.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

ZenVulgarity posted:

How was that wild arms game on the psp

XF is a class based SRPG that has a few rough patches as it starts out(two story missions near the start and end of chapter 1 are infamous), it tends to have some gimmicky maps to try and get you to use specific classes while teaching you the ins and outs of them, and the six party limit pretty much limits generics to random search mission fodder past chapter 2 if you want to use all the story characters(they're mechanically stronger as well, in part due to the unique starter class giving 3 extra upon mastering it). That all said, I personally like the gimmick nature of some of the maps since it requires you to actually use most of the classes at least once and it's main cast was pretty charming as well. It's worth the 10 bucks if you like class based SRPGs.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

al-azad posted:

I think I appreciate the craftsmanship more than the final product. Currently playing through Akiba's Trip which is a mediocre Yakuza style game with pointless RPG mechanics but goddammit if I don't love how stupidly sincere it is. Not only did someone design this game, someone thought it was interesting enough to give a really good localization for a foreign audience and that makes me happy for some reason.

Akiba's Trip is a game where if it had got an okay localization it would be a 20$ game at best. However, I paid full price for Ps4 copy and it was worth every penny for the absolutely excellent localization. You can tell they REALLY cared about it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

xseed are good localizers

apparently your sister calls you the brotagonist in akiba's trip, and that's funny

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Cake Attack posted:

xseed are good localizers

apparently your sister calls you the brotagonist in akiba's trip, and that's funny

She has a whole bunch of different bro* phrases she'll use for you. Like 'brotector'

It's great.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

The Black Stones posted:

She has a whole bunch of different bro* phrases she'll use for you. Like 'brotector'

It's great.

Brobocop - The sister is hilarious.

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS
As much as I love Troika, Troika games and Arcanum every time I read Arcanum I keep thinking of Arcana and wondering why everyone is talking about that weird old game so much.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcana_%28video_game%29

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Operation Darkness is 360-exclusive, so there's that.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

evilskillit posted:

As much as I love Troika, Troika games and Arcanum every time I read Arcanum I keep thinking of Arcana and wondering why everyone is talking about that weird old game so much.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcana_%28video_game%29
Still a classic dungeon crawler for those who grew up on consoles in the SNES era

Plus that soundtrack, made by the same dude who did the Lufia 2 music IIRC. Actually Wikipedia says no, so I don't know! Still good music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk0QDbYvtAQ - boss theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zso9azHSzxA - final boss theme

[e] Oh it's the Kirby Super Star music crew, yea!

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 10, 2015

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

My two cents on Rogue Galaxy is that every single thing about it is stellar besides, unfortunately, the aggressively cliche plot and the incredibly unbalanced core combat system. Everything surrounding those things is great. I like the music, it looks pretty as hell, the side content is fantastic, I even actually like the characters, giant cliches that they are. But your enjoyment of the game depends entirely on how much you can stand the kinda lovely combat system. If it was actually BALANCED it would probably be really fun. The first two planets are actually very entertaining because you still don't have your AoE skills and thus have to fight manually, and enemy power is pretty much adjusted to that fact. Things go severely downhill once you reach the prison chapter and enemies start having obnoxious amounts of HP and deal extreme amounts of damage, and the only way to counter that is to use your extremely overpowered AoE attacks on everything.

Rogue Galaxy Final Mix/International/Whatever with a rebalanced core combat system is pretty much my dream game. They wouldn't even need to do anything else, everything else is either good or at least acceptable, in the case of the plot.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
I love making factories in Rogue Galaxy. Dunno why. Thats all I have to say about Rogue Galaxy.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Infinity Gaia posted:

Rogue Galaxy Final Mix/International/Whatever

Unless you were playing the original 2005 Japanese release, this is what you played.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

wateyad posted:

Unless you were playing the original 2005 Japanese release, this is what you played.

They could always do it again. Kingdom Hearts 1 technically did. There was the original Japanese version, then the western version had some improvements, then they got Final Mix with the western improvements and some extra content.

I'd even play it in Japanese if they just balanced the goddamn combat system.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

wateyad posted:

Just as a side-note to add to this; The beach planet you get to visit about halfway through that has no real bearing on the plot? All added for the western release.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Rogue Galaxy, Infinite Space, and Steambot Chronicles are all on the long list of interesting-but-flawed games I want to see remakes of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008
So I'm starting up Final Fantasy Type-0. Gotta say, if there's one thing Squenix's got going for them, it's gorgeous graphics.

So how important is it that I use my free time efficiently? Is there anything crucial I'll miss if I just go straight to the next mission, despite having 2+ hours left free?