Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

goatse guy posted:

I'm surprised that some of the tiny dealerships stay open. I used to live in a town of 900 people in rural North Dakota, and they had a dealership. Their inventory turned over surprisingly often, too.

There is a massive Chevy dealership in north central Indiana off 80/90. There is no town for miles, it's the dealer, a Flying J, a Cebollas outdoor store, a giant fireworks, two gas stations and 4 or 5 fast food places. I believe the closest town is almost 20 miles down the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

goatse guy posted:

The ones who post car content get followed. The ones that just use it for advertising don't.

It would be entertaining if you could do a local version of "just rolled into the shop" but I bet brand image would suffer for it. So it's probably not a good idea. I'd say point out when you get a super cool high end car on the lot, but, kia.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Raluek posted:

It would be entertaining if you could do a local version of "just rolled into the shop" but I bet brand image would suffer for it. So it's probably not a good idea. I'd say point out when you get a super cool high end car on the lot, but, kia.

Hyundai, but yeah. We never get anything cool, because my UCM is a shrewd businessman and dedicates his time to buying the cars that people want -- boring SUVs, minivans, sedans, etc. One of our sister stores has a UCM with a knack for buying Evos and oddballs, like manual transmission SUVs.

Raluek, I don't really hear a lot of fun stories from our service department. In fact, I avoid even going back there now because the people who work back there are weird as gently caress.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

goatse guy posted:

The ones who post car content get followed. The ones that just use it for advertising don't.

Truth. I still follow my dealership back west, even though its been 3 years. They post cool poo poo - new cars, big trucks, neat contests, etc.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

goatse guy posted:

What kinds of things would you like to see on a dealership's facebook or instagram?

Anything that is such a smoking deal to the point that I need to show up RIGHT NOW to get.

And that's only going to get you currently interested buyers (short audience of motivated people).

You'll have to do better/more to keep people around. And what keeps those people around? If you're trying to gain the attention of people who buy beigemobiles it's not car content. It's going to be the same old same old community calendar/events/generally be useful. Maybe some basic service TWITTER ONLY specials.

Keeping car people around should be obvious, especially if they are <brand you sell here> whores: give them new poo poo, concept cars, etc.

goatse guy posted:

What would you NOT want to see?

Basically everything I posted above and anything else that anyone who is trying to sell a car wants me to see.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
Thanks for the input. Our chain already has a great marketing and advertising team that does a great job of giving our dealership personality and setting us apart from the others.

January is off to a better start than last month, with 25 set appointments and 15 shown and five sold so far. I'm hoping that a few more of these shown appointments sell because I really, really want to make it to 1000 sold this year. Two of my shown appointments are coming back today so that's looking positive for me.

The woman who was offered $2600 for her 2001 Disco left us a nasty review online. I am sorry that her experience was not a positive one, but customers don't seem to comprehend that KBB is not a guaranteed trade-in value. KBB does not buy cars; their prices are only a suggestion and not necessarily a reflect of local market values.

A few weeks ago, the new corporate BDC manager came in to my store to chat with and observe my coworker and me. Earlier this week, my coworker let me know that all of the stores will now be following our lead process, which includes our email templates, our phone followup process, and our process for setting up customers with sales consultants. I'm really proud that I am part of a successful team and that I'll be helping the other stores to be as successful. My coworker also volunteered both of us for opportunities for growth in the company when it comes to developing training for new BDC recruits and new BDC managers. I'm really glad that I have her on my team and on my side.

Meet Harry the Office Dog. He takes naps on my lap while I call customers. This is truly the greatest job ever.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
If you guys really want social media success you should do a Roadkill-style show with whatever new Kias are showing up this week.

Visit Minnesota landmarks. Autocross the service loaners.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Just curious, do you take Harry into work regularly? Awesome place to work if they let you take him in with you regularly.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

If you guys really want social media success you should do a Roadkill-style show with whatever new Kias are showing up this week.

Visit Minnesota landmarks. Autocross the service loaners.

That's actually not a bad idea. I'm hanging out with one of our corporate guys tonight and I will propose that idea to him.

Our marketing team did a TSD in an old Bronco and blogged about it.

mariooncrack posted:

Just curious, do you take Harry into work regularly? Awesome place to work if they let you take him in with you regularly.

Yes, I take him into work fairly regularly. The sales staff loves him almost as much as I do, and he's very quiet and friendly toward people.

goatse guy fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jan 11, 2015

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
That's awesome you guys are getting some recognition. :feelsgood:

Seconding the roadkill mockup.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Im pretty sure you could get a bunch of social media followers by just posing Harry the office dog in cool cars and putting funny captions on the pics.

E: especially if you dress him up in seasonal/sports team dog sweaters

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

Im pretty sure you could get a bunch of social media followers by just posing Harry the office dog in cool cars and putting funny captions on the pics.

E: especially if you dress him up in seasonal/sports team dog sweaters

Harry has his own tag on IG already and I think my followers are really HIS followers based on how many likes he gets.

He doesn't own any clothing, because I tried putting a Wild dog jersey on him and he looked so pathetic (maybe he's an Avalanche fan). Are matching sweater sets for dogs and their human companions a thing? I really want to give this crazy dog lady thing 100%.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Oh I wouldn't worry about that you're well on the way.

Do you sell cars that come in "colors"? I'm sick of seeing silver cars everywhere, if you buy a new car you wimped out in my opinion.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

Cakefool posted:

Do you sell cars that come in "colors"? I'm sick of seeing silver cars everywhere, if you buy a new car you wimped out in my opinion.

Our inventory is fifty shades of grey. We get some weak-rear end colors like Parisian Blue, Blue Sky Metallic, Night Shadow Brown, and Venetian Red Pearl which bore the hell out of me.

We also get some really nice vibrant colors like Windy Blue Metallic, Geranium Red, Urban Sunset, Lakeside Blue, and Vitamin C but they're very far in between.

The lack of variety in car colors is something that haunts me. I blame art school.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Seriously take a picture of you and the dog at your work desk in matching seasonal sweaters, use it as your email sig, profit.

The beige mobile crowd will eat that poo poo up.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I wish we could have dogs at work. Stupid landlords.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I wonder if showing prep would be a popular thing as well. Gives some insight in behind the scenes stuff done to the new cars, showcases incoming inventory, and makes people jealous about pulling off the giant sheets of protective film because goddamn is that satisfying to do for some reason.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

makes people jealous about pulling off the giant sheets of protective film because goddamn is that satisfying to do for some reason.

gently caress, I'd pay for the ability to do that as an option on a new car. Y'know, like the Corvette 'build your own engine'/factory tour option they had a few years back.
Hell I still think it'd be cool to do my own PDI. I'm technically legally able to do it (as long as an automotive mechanic is in the same building as me when it happens) but there's no way in hell any dealership would let me.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

goatse guy posted:

"Do you know if the your bank would add the interest amount to the cost of the car instead of separate it from the total. I found this option with other dealers."

Being that devout seems exhausting.

I'm surprised sharia compliant loans aren't that big of a thing there. A dealer doing it would probably make a fair amount of money

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Cakefool posted:

I drive past a car sales place on the way to the office (and have to queue at the lights outside it). This last week they have rearranged their cars so that 80% of the loving forecourt has white cars on the front row and then silver cars behind them.

All the coloured cars have been shoved at one end out of the way.

I don't know how that works as a sales tactic - you can't see what anything is any more as they all merge into one.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

Tomarse posted:

I drive past a car sales place on the way to the office (and have to queue at the lights outside it). This last week they have rearranged their cars so that 80% of the loving forecourt has white cars on the front row and then silver cars behind them.

All the coloured cars have been shoved at one end out of the way.

I don't know how that works as a sales tactic - you can't see what anything is any more as they all merge into one.

When I worked at Subaru-Kia, we had more ISM 2014 Outbacks than all the other colors combined. I shuffled them around until they were all eventually at the corner of the lot to downplay the fact that we had so many of them.

I tried to put the cars that people would actually want to buy (Foresters, Imprezas, and Crosstreks) near the entrance to the lot and the used cars weren't arranged at all. It was like, "gently caress it, park it where there's an open spot."

We have an actual lot manager and lot staff here to arrange cars, thank god. I inherited that job at Subaru-Kia after the chucklefuck that was doing it left, and I hated every second of being outside in North Dakota winters.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
When I bought the bright green mazda 2 it was sitting unloved in the back while a bunch of grey mazdas and hyundais sat in front.
This could have been why it was on the lot 6 months (well, and being a manual microcar in suburban brotruck hell).

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

nm posted:

When I bought the bright green mazda 2 it was sitting unloved in the back while a bunch of grey mazdas and hyundais sat in front.
This could have been why it was on the lot 6 months (well, and being a manual microcar in suburban brotruck hell).

I got my red 2013 Mazda2 from right in the show room (also a manual) in May 2014

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

nm posted:

I had my heart set on a bright green manual Mazda2. I ended up in a WRX instead, but I still think those Mazda2s are cute as heck.

I've had a rash of customers today who don't actually want to come into the dealership. They've called me from the parking lot to let me know that they're here, or like the last guy, they've stood planted by the front door and refused to be taken over to a sales consultant's desk. He insisted that he didn't want to drive the car. He just wanted to see it.

I've also had a lot of customers hanging up on me today. If you don't want any more phone calls from me, tell me and I'll take you off of our list. I chalk it up to this weird passive-aggressiveness and avoidance that we call Minnesota Nice.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

It would be rude to tell you I don't want to talk to you. I'll just pretend my (landline) phone lost cell signal.

Re:mazda2 cuteness. I'm told that watching my fat 6'4" rear end get out of it is surprising and amusing. gently caress em, it is surprising roomy and always happy to see me.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
I used to be super timid until I started getting medicated for my severe anxiety, and now it makes me mad when people can't be direct.

I've had quite a few appointments show up today, and just when I thought today couldn't go any better, my sister showed up at my work and brought me cookies. I think she's trying to rub it in that she has lost a ton of weight and now she's a skinny bitch and I'm not? I don't really care. Bring on the sweets.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

What's the stance dealerships in boarder states are taking nowadays to selling to Canadians?

Out of a mixture of curiosity and insanity I've been eyeballing (principally used) cars at dealerships in MT and ND but I don't know if they're verboten from selling to Canucks by the head offices, etc.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

El Scotch posted:

What's the stance dealerships in boarder states are taking nowadays to selling to Canadians?

Out of a mixture of curiosity and insanity I've been eyeballing (principally used) cars at dealerships in MT and ND but I don't know if they're verboten from selling to Canucks by the head offices, etc.

Hell yeah we can sell to Canadians. I did a lot of business with customers from Winnipeg. Call the dealership ahead of time to find out the regulations -- I know there is some paperwork and fees involved, and a waiting period as well, but the exact regulations escape me since I no longer work close to the border.

New cars will vary from brand to brand. For instance, we could sell new Subarus to Canadians but we could not sell new Kias.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
A sales consultant came over to me and one of the lot attendants, and showed me a customer's driver's license photo. "What's the impression that you get from this guy?" I was getting a John Wayne Gacy vibe from him for sure and the lot attendant agreed.

The sales consultant told me that at the end of the test drive, the customer turned to him and asked, "Do you ever get a weird vibe or creeped out by any of your customers?"

And that right there is why I don't sell cars. I could be a really fantastic Subaru salesperson because I've drunk enough of their Kool-Aid, but I will not get into cars with strange men.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

goatse guy posted:

And that right there is why I don't sell cars. I could be a really fantastic Subaru salesperson because I've drunk enough of their Kool-Aid, but I will not get into cars with strange men.

That's sexist.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

goatse guy posted:

But I thought your standards were low :colbert:

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

meatpimp posted:

That's sexist.

Okay, I've met a lot of strange women that I wouldn't get into cars with either.

Edit: forgot to tell my friend about the Roadkill ripoff idea. We watched Argo and then I bored him to death talking about Iran-US relations.

goatse guy fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jan 11, 2015

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

goatse guy posted:

The woman who was offered $2600 for her 2001 Disco left us a nasty review online. I am sorry that her experience was not a positive one, but customers don't seem to comprehend that KBB is not a guaranteed trade-in value. KBB does not buy cars; their prices are only a suggestion and not necessarily a reflect of local market values.

Did she come back to apologize yet and beg you to honor that deal while leaking dexcool all over the lot from her head gaskets?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I told goatse guy I'd pay her cash. No dice.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I told goatse guy I'd pay her cash. No dice.

I passed the message along.

We dropped the price of a Saab on our lot this weekend and were flooded with inquiries on it. The first thing my coworker said when I saw her today was, "This Saab is ruining my life!" Usually you have to buy them for that to happen. :haw:

Our marketing guys are at the Detroit Motor Show this week and I'm jealous as heck. They just posted a photo of the new NSX on Instagram and it looks incredible.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
Harry is hanging out with me at the office again this week: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4KxKWUaztI

They changed our internet sales lead process, so I am suddenly finding myself calling customers that submitted internet inquiries 90, 120, 150, and 180 days ago. I know that it's my job, but I feel hella awkward calling people 180 days out.

Hyundai revealed their compact pickup at the Detroit Motor Show. It's AWD, turbodiesel, and ugly as sin. I guess that's kind of neat?

I really wish I still worked for Subaru because I have no passion for Hyundais at all. :sigh:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Well since you're stuck in Korean hell anyway, how receptive are Hyundai corporate to customer complaints about dealerships?

Local dealer damaged my interior while doing warranty work and attempted repair, repair looks like crap so I was promised a replacement. Months go by and turns out their service manager denied the replacement parts and neglected to inform us until we came by the dealer recently to ask why it's taking months for any news. General manager pretty much tells us to piss up a rope and to live with it. Best they can do is attempt another repair.

I don't think I'm unreasonable not wanting to just live with the shoddy repair, am I? I've sent a 1000 word politely worded essay detailing the situation and my thoughts on the matter to Hyundai corporate and awaiting a response. Just wondering what the next steps are in case they're not helpful.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

goatse guy posted:

I really wish I still worked for Subaru because I have no passion for Hyundais at all. :sigh:

The Equus was pretty cool until they stopped giving us a fridge.

How hard is it to transfer within your group?

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
I am fantastic and my managers will never let me go.

Also, I had/have a thing with someone who works at one of our Subaru stores and while I think he is great, I'd still feel weird about seeing him every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

well, get excited about the equus I guess, then.
Or convince the koreans that steering feel matters.

• Locked thread