Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
organism
Sep 30, 2005
organism

Serious Frolicking posted:

Anyway, here is a :can: : is Tetra a male player in a female character body, or a male player in a male character body who cross dresses?

Male player, female body. Source: Log Horizon Wiki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghost sex
May 19, 2013
Yeah I don't think they would have specifically brought that up when they did if it wasn't going to immediately apply to a character being introduced. Everyone else just picks up on Tetra being a guy because of speech patterns and over the top mannerisms.

Also this episode was much better than I was expecting from a ~wacky romance~ ep

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
I completely forgot about Krusty until they mentioned it.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

I like how Shiroe has cake related trauma.

Nice callback.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ghost sex posted:

Yeah I don't think they would have specifically brought that up when they did if it wasn't going to immediately apply to a character being introduced. Everyone else just picks up on Tetra being a guy because of speech patterns and over the top mannerisms.

Also this episode was much better than I was expecting from a ~wacky romance~ ep

The research symposium and Tetra's introduction happened in different volumes.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Jesus christ Rudie and Isuzu are so adorable :kimchi:

I'm glad Minori and Akatsuki didn't go for the standard catfight dynamic you see so often in anime. It kinda makes the anime feel more mature? People like and love but they're not idiots about it.

Griever
Jan 19, 2006

Everything has its beginning
Akatsuki is like a moe Flash.

Saw it was holiday themed and expected the worst but this was an A+ episode due to the abundance of Nyanta, Rudy and Sisbro imo.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Griever posted:

Akatsuki is like a moe Flash.

Saw it was holiday themed and expected the worst but this was an A+ episode due to the abundance of Nyanta, Rudy and Sisbro imo.

All of the SOL insert episode have been ok at the very least, so this is more of a return to form.

I'm siked to see what Hwayden is up to and to find out what happened to Krusty and that girl's arm.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

ViggyNash posted:

All of the SOL insert episode have been ok at the very least, so this is more of a return to form.

I'm siked to see what Hwayden is up to and to find out what happened to Krusty and that girl's arm.

As far as I know the author hasn't even gotten to anything concerning Krusty yet. Perhaps in will be in the next volume of the novel that he is currently working on.

ghost sex
May 19, 2013

The research symposium and Tetra's introduction happened in different volumes.

Then maybe not "immediately", sorry for not being pedantic

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Dzhay posted:

On today's Log Horizon: Nyanta continues to be the best, small girls are furries,

I'm starting to think japan is full of furries at this point. Look at all of Hosoda's recent films, for example.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Cool new characters this time. Also the Chinese gold farming bot!

And a display of how a tentacle monster can be handled in a tasteful way.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Was that quite literally a blatant Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles reference down to the "Cowabunga", coming from the American, or am I missing something?

That was a great episode though, and the gold farming bot is interesting. If bots are in the world, what about alt-characters? And if alts are in, perhaps none of the Adventurers are people per-se, but rather they are all just AI with responses and personalities stemming from chat logs. This is getting interesting.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I'm pretty sure that Akatsuki's chat log didn't contain anything about being an underdeveloped 20 year old girl with crippling self-esteem issues. Any roleplayer would produce a person that legitimately believed they were that character.

Ashtarath
Oct 11, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Was that quite literally a blatant Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles reference down to the "Cowabunga", coming from the American, or am I missing something?

Yes, yes it was. I also loved meeting the trader Chun Lu

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
COWABUNGA was the hypest moment. :allears:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I'm pretty sure that Akatsuki's chat log didn't contain anything about being an underdeveloped 20 year old girl with crippling self-esteem issues. Any roleplayer would produce a person that legitimately believed they were that character.

Ah, but what if it also went into stuff like social networks, medical histories and what not to actually create the full character? It's a crazy theory, but it seems plausible in my head. Every MMO ever has said "We offer a living, breathing world with real characters and consequence", this makes it work. It'll probably be a while yet before we learn the truth though.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I have no idea where the plot is headed, but I don't care because that was amazing.

I feel like Deen stepped up this episode, thought maybe just because it's the mid-season opener.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
This episode was dynamite. Kanami was as interesting and as I thought she was going to be, and Leonardo's battle scene was pretty visually exciting.

And him being one giant Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles reference was fantastic. I'm actually looking forward to next week's episode.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

That just about made up for Akatsuki's arc and William's speech by itself holy poo poo.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

That was a great episode though, and the gold farming bot is interesting. If bots are in the world, what about alt-characters? And if alts are in, perhaps none of the Adventurers are people per-se, but rather they are all just AI with responses and personalities stemming from chat logs. This is getting interesting.

Yes. Alts are in. Sort of. It will get weird.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Rodyle posted:

That just about made up for Akatsuki's arc and William's speech by itself holy poo poo.

William's speech was good and you are just wrong. :colbert: akatsuki is still shite.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Rodyle posted:

William's speech was a high point in the series. It was like the loving Who Is John Galt speech of anime.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

akatsuki is still shite.

Toshimo fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 10, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
loving finally we're back to good stuff. That was a very solidly fun episode.

Is next episode going to be a Rudy adventure?!?!?!?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Drifter posted:

loving finally we're back to good stuff. That was a very solidly fun episode.

Is next episode going to be a Rudy adventure?!?!?!?

Yeah, Rudy and the others form a band and go on a concert tour where they unite the PotL in harmony against the coming threat from Plant Hwyaden. Think a merger of Macross and LH. :krad:

I just made the above up, haha! :laugh:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it sounds like this show is good again now?

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

ViggyNash posted:

I have no idea where the plot is headed, but I don't care because that was amazing.

I feel like Deen stepped up this episode, thought maybe just because it's the mid-season opener.

This has been the most interesting episode all season, possibly of all the show so far.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

Myurton posted:

As far as I know the author hasn't even gotten to anything concerning Krusty yet. Perhaps in will be in the next volume of the novel that he is currently working on.

He's pretty much been found as of the latest volume, but since it was released as the show was airing, we're definitely not seeing any of that resolution animated.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Yosuke posted:

He's pretty much been found as of the latest volume, but since it was released as the show was airing, we're definitely not seeing any of that resolution animated.

Not necessarily actually. Anime production pipelines don't function on logic, see the klk finale being finished the morning it aired.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

Rodyle posted:

Not necessarily actually. Anime production pipelines don't function on logic, see the klk finale being finished the morning it aired.

There's a difference between original work and adaptations though. This isn't the case of storyboards/ideas not being done in time, this is "Source material is not actually complete yet and just so happened to release a new book well into the anime's life".

But who knows, I guess.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
First the "Cowabunga!" and then "My God!" had me laughing hard, hilarious. Froggynardo is now my favorite character.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Dude TACKLED A loving DRAGON. Leo best Ninja Turtle.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So were they actually saying frog instead of turtle, or was that just to skirt around using the likeness? No one cares if a Leonardo cosplayer appears in a web novel, but for a show with an english release it might not be as easy.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

So were they actually saying frog instead of turtle, or was that just to skirt around using the likeness? No one cares if a Leonardo cosplayer appears in a web novel, but for a show with an english release it might not be as easy.

I find it entirely appropriate that Kanami thinks he is a frog.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

She was calling him keronardo far as I could tell.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

They were actually saying frog at all points. He even refers to himself as the "frog hero" or something like that.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I wish they hadn't compressed this episode so drat much. We even missed a dragon vs dragon fight!
And a rather important scene with Kanami and Leonardo, which would also serve as the origin behind Leonardo's Overskill. (It was inspired by Kanami's)
Two or maybe three would've been ideal.

(FYI this ep summarized an entire volume worth of content. Previously we were getting ~5 eps per volume)

He was designed as a Leonardo homage, yes. In the web novel his outfit was patterned after a turtle as well (complete with shell shield on the back), but Mamare's editor suggested a change to frog in the transition to LN.
I'm pleasantly surprised the Cowabunga survived.

Yosuke posted:

There's a difference between original work and adaptations though. This isn't the case of storyboards/ideas not being done in time, this is "Source material is not actually complete yet and just so happened to release a new book well into the anime's life".

But who knows, I guess.

Given how close the anime people are working with the TRPG guys and the author himself, it's possible they got the storyboard ahead of time.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jan 10, 2015

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Kyte posted:

I wish they hadn't compressed this episode so drat much. We even missed a dragon vs dragon fight!
Two or maybe three would've been ideal.

(FYI this ep summarized an entire volume worth of content. Previously we were getting ~5 eps per volume)

Yeah it was total bullshit and pretty much confirms my suspicion that they're just going through the motions, knowing that they're probably never getting a third season. There was a lot of world-building and characterization that got tossed in favor of just hitting all the major points.

Good episode, but it was a much better book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Vengarr posted:

Yeah it was total bullshit and pretty much confirms my suspicion that they're just going through the motions, knowing that they're probably never getting a third season. There was a lot of world-building and characterization that got tossed in favor of just hitting all the major points.

Good episode, but it was a much better book.

Do you read moon? Because Vol 9 isn't translated. If so then do us all a favor and at least give the Cliff's Notes. :v:

(You just posted something very similar in /a/ didn't you)

• Locked thread