Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

I like the show being a little more on the side of Peggy Olsen Agent of SHIELD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I re-watched the episodes, and the Mustached Mute guy said that Agent Carter, Margaret was the source of the interference. Is Peggy her middle name, or was that a goof?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Vitamin P posted:

I really liked the line from her flatmate right at the start, where she drops in that 10 more women had been fired because 10 more GIs were going back to work, and that she had to teach them all how to use the tools.

The show has been pretty good about the misogyny not being deliberate and aggressive, just systemic. It feels true to life and gives Carter a natural arc to develop within too.

It's the connection to something specific that helps- it's not just that the times are sexist but there's a distinct backlash taking place and that makes it even harder for Peggy. They do a great job linking what's happening to her individually with a larger societal movement.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I re-watched the episodes, and the Mustached Mute guy said that Agent Carter, Margaret was the source of the interference. Is Peggy her middle name, or was that a goof?

Peggy is one of a great many nicknames for the name Margaret.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Kheldarn posted:

So far, they don't seem to be a big deal in the MCU, but in the comics, they are a very big deal.

Ms Marvel, Spider-Man (and the Slott inventions Silk, Alpha spawned there) and Nova are the only ones I can think of that really still make an effort on keeping their identity secret.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Peg/Peggy being a nickname for Margaret is one of life's great mysteries, like Bob being a nickname for Robert and Dick being a nickname for Richard.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Margaret --> Meg --> Peg --> Peggy
Robert --> Rob --> Bob
Richard --> Rick --> Dick

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bruceski posted:

Robert --> Rob --> Bob

This doesn't satisfy me

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Regy Rusty posted:

This doesn't satisfy me
I'm sorry that Dick doesn't satisfy you.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Regy Rusty posted:

This doesn't satisfy me

M & P are similar phonemes, as well as R & D. Think about the parts of your mouth you use to make those sounds. Only a very slight change is needed to go from M to a P, same with R to a D. Like, think about rolling an r, you actually get "D"-ish sounds in there. This is also why you see Polly as a nickname for Molly.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I'm a dyed-in-the-wool feminist, but the inanity of the show's writing, which is basically "Men, amirite?" is so lazy that it feels like nails on chalkboard, regardless of how sympathetic I am to the plight of women in a male-dominated workplace.

The show did redeem itself with the radio fight at the end, though, so they get a pass - for now.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
You think it's inane watching it, you should have tried living it.

I think it's really vapid to complain about the post-war period for women being 'inane'. It's not inane because of the setting or context, it's inane because it's being filtered to you through a mediocre comicbook story.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jan 10, 2015

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Just watched the carter pilot:

Looks promising / amusing.

I get a definite Fringe vibe, not least due to the blatant borrowing of the magic typewriter to communicate with unseen baddies.

Carter comes across as a nutter: still mooning over Captain America, when they never even had screwed...
In the 1940s, threatening to murder a guy for slapping a waitress' rear end is so far beyond being reasonable.

My gods does Whedon have a hard on for casting actors who've been in other Whedon shows (cancelled).

Watching petite women with long flowing hair win streetfights trivially really becomes ridiculous, takes me out of the show. Not one villain thinks of grabbing their hair?

All part of the Whedon style of course, but it just takes away from any dark / gritty element of the show, makes it camp. In the same way that Doctor Who is hard to invest in due to the quirkiness and campy aliens - like its aimed at children.

I can understand giving Mutant enemy one of the Marvel spinoff shows, but they should've given one to someone else to make something more serious.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Quit yer bitchin, mook

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

wooger posted:

I get a definite Fringe vibe, not least due to the blatant borrowing of the magic typewriter to communicate with unseen baddies.

Carter comes across as a nutter: still mooning over Captain America, when they never even had screwed...
In the 1940s, threatening to murder a guy for slapping a waitress' rear end is so far beyond being reasonable.

My gods does Whedon have a hard on for casting actors who've been in other Whedon shows (cancelled).

Watching petite women with long flowing hair win streetfights trivially really becomes ridiculous, takes me out of the show. Not one villain thinks of grabbing their hair?

All part of the Whedon style of course, but it just takes away from any dark / gritty element of the show, makes it camp. In the same way that Doctor Who is hard to invest in due to the quirkiness and campy aliens - like its aimed at children.

I can understand giving Mutant enemy one of the Marvel spinoff shows, but they should've given one to someone else to make something more serious.

Apart from raiding his casting pool of actors, I don't think this show has anything to do with Whedon? He's not even in the massive list of exec producers that seems to include all the big cheeses at Marvel Studios.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

wooger posted:

Yeah good point man. Everyone knows that love happens when a man's penis enter's a woman's vagina, and not a moment before. She must be some kind of stalker or something to still be occasionally sad about the death of someone she worked closely with in dire life-or-death situations for months.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

wooger posted:

I want no unreasonable scenarios in my MCU thank you very much! They even played it for a laugh! Unacceptable.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

wooger posted:

This is pretty stupid because none of the Whedons has anything to do with this. Mutant Enemy is not the production company that's involved here. Probably for the better, because these two episodes were far more competent than any of the more recent Whedon shows.
And also

XboxPants posted:

Yeah good point man. Everyone knows that love happens when a man's penis enter's a woman's vagina, and not a moment before. She must be some kind of stalker or something to still be occasionally sad about the death of someone she worked closely with in dire life-or-death situations for months.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Castle Radium posted:

Apart from raiding his casting pool of actors, I don't think this show has anything to do with Whedon? He's not even in the massive list of exec producers that seems to include all the big cheeses at Marvel Studios.

Yeah this is being made by the people behind Reaper, I believe

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Rarity posted:

Yeah this is being made by the people behind Reaper, I believe
Which is one of the reasons why Ray Wise showed up (the other being that Ray Wise is awesome)

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Bruceski posted:

Robert --> Rob --> Bob

That's all well and good, but how the gently caress does John become Jack? Why does John even need a nickname, it's already one loving syllable.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Colonial Air Force posted:

That's all well and good, but how the gently caress does John become Jack? Why does John even need a nickname, it's already one loving syllable.

It just is.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

wooger posted:

So this is what the thread is going to be like for the next 6 weeks.

Jesus christ.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

I had never run into this until I started working on a college campus, and there are no fewer than 3 Not-John-but-Jack's there. I don't get it either.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

While we're at it, In the words of the Homestar Runner:

quote:

Henceforth, those named Henry will no longer be allowed to call themselves Hank. That's just too much of a stretch.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
The fun one is I have a friend named Alasdair. I call him Sandy.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I believe that's because the French equivalent for John is Jacques, which then gets anglicized back to Jack.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Bruceski posted:

I believe that's because the French equivalent for John is Jacques, which then gets anglicized back to Jack.

The French equivalent to the English John is Jean. Jacques is equivalent to Jacob. Jack from John is via "Jankin", a diminutive.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

The French equivalent to the English John is Jean. Jacques is equivalent to Jacob. Jack from John is via "Jankin", a diminutive.

Then why does the children's song "frere Jacques" translate to "brother John"?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Marvel's Agents of Etymology

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Bruceski posted:

Why does it translate to "Fra Martino" in Italian? Poetic license, maybe.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Azhais posted:

Marvel's Agents of Etymology

When somebody really wants the acronym to spell SHIELD, where do you *think* they're gonna go?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

wooger posted:

This is the dumbest post in this thread and that includes everything by Barry Convex

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Castle Radium posted:

I stand corrected, I saw the Enver Gojkaj + rear end kicking female lead and just assumed it was the same people behind agents of shield.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

ufarn posted:

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool feminist, but the inanity of the show's writing, which is basically "Men, amirite?" is so lazy that it feels like nails on chalkboard

I pretty much had the same issue. It was so single-mindedly hammering its point about the chauvinism of its setting, it felt inorganic. Even S1 Mad Men was subtle by contrast.

It's not that I don't believe men in this time period would be condescending assholes who actively boxed women out; they clearly did this. But they probably didn't do it with such quippy bravado, like every Howard Hawks characters condensed down to 42 minutes.

Bruceski posted:

How the gently caress does Sam become Juan Ramon? And who the hell would eat these huevos verdes con jamon?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Bruceski posted:

When somebody really wants the acronym to spell SHIELD, where do you *think* they're gonna go?

What does H.A.M.M.E.R stand for anyway?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

mikeraskol posted:

They actually seemed pretty competent to me. They had less information than Hayley and were only a step behind her the whole time.

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah that's something I've appreciated about the show so far - the male agents are misogynistic assholes which fits the times, but they're also competent at their jobs and capable of getting to the same place as the titular hero even without the benefit of the inside knowledge she has and is keeping from them.

I am irritated by the shoehorned in red-herring of Jarvis calling Howard and going,"SHE DOESN'T SUSPECT A THING :ninja:", can't it just be a straightforward matter of Howard getting his poo poo took and asking Carter to save his rear end?

I must have been watching an entirely different show then. Those guys were 3 to 4 steps behind Carter at every turn. Case and point, these guys were still not sure what they were looking for, at a time where Carter had already defused one of those weapons. Seriously, those guys were just bad at their job.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

sbaldrick posted:

My wife openly said they weren't really in proportion to her body, that seems to be a thing women notice.

She has a pretty face, but her shape looks kinda weird. I can't put my finger on it.. Maybe its just because of the clothes she wears in the show...

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Dalael posted:

She has a pretty face, but her shape looks kinda weird. I can't put my finger on it.. Maybe its just because of the clothes she wears in the show...

I swear if this turns into a dorito thing I am going to be really mad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Buxom isn't a shape.

• Locked thread