Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Crustashio posted:

What were you using for tools? I did a rear parking brake on my old e46 with visegrips once. Nearly broke my own nose.

I was using pliers and a screwdriver. I picked up one of those brake tools linked above while I was at harbor freight today, what is the thing with the red handle for? I also got a mityvac test and bleed kit while I was there because I had opened the bleed screw on the drum brakes to compress the wheel cylinder and that probably got air into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

SperginMcBadposter posted:

I picked up one of those brake tools linked above while I was at harbor freight today, what is the thing with the red handle for?
It is a brake spring remover. You slip the notch over the spring and spin it to preload the spring, then pull it right off.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I don't think that piece would have worked on the springs on mine then, the openings the springs go into are tiny.

Oh yeah gently caress those hold down spring clips too. I had forgotten about how annoying they were while I was doing the return springs between the pads.

Bonus pic of second new motor mount that I forgot I had taken:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Crustashio posted:

What were you using for tools? I did a rear parking brake on my old e46 with visegrips once. Nearly broke my own nose.

I bought a pair of super-long needle-nose pliers with a bend in that that I was recommended for doing drum brake springs. They're perfect for the job, you have a ton of leverage to get the spring in place and are long enough to fulcrum off a bunch of different places for different models. Made a prick of a job into a few second affair.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Replaced the front brakes and rotors on my Civic SI. Holy gently caress they were overdue. Guess I need to turn down the music. :v:

In a rare moment of smartness I realized I could use a 6" locking clamp to push the pistons back in quite easily, and shortly I'm going to set up a document on my google drive so I can keep track of when I do maintenance on the truck and civic.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Bled the brakes and got all the old fluid out of the system. A dead ant came out of the front right caliper when I bled it and just lazily floated through the tubing. :v:

Parts Kit posted:

In a rare moment of smartness I realized I could use a 6" locking clamp to push the pistons back in quite easily, and shortly I'm going to set up a document on my google drive so I can keep track of when I do maintenance on the truck and civic.

I did something pretty similar to that, but with a c-clamp that screws closed and a block of wood on the front of the caliper's piston so I wouldn't scratch or bend it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I bought a giant C-clamp at Wal-mart for 99 cents and used that to compress the cylinder.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
The nice thing about the 6" locking clamp is the little foot is small enough that it was able to go into the piston and bottom out on the inside so I didn't have to push on the machined face of it. So no worries about scratching.

A normal c-clamp was my first idea but I couldn't find the huge one. Really I'm glad I didn't though because the locking clamp is easier as you can adjust it to make sure you get enough leverage but then it's just squeezing and releasing instead of 'ok, back this all the way out so it slips on, now screw it all the way back in, ok now time to turn it a dozen times, and time to remove it...gently caress this is taking forever.'

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Does using one of the old brake pads to compress the piston, with the help of the c-clamp not work? Does this damage something?

I mean you sit the old pad against the piston and put the clamp on it and crank down. In this way the old pad spreads the force out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vanagoon posted:

Does using one of the old brake pads to compress the piston, with the help of the c-clamp not work? Does this damage something?

I mean you sit the old pad against the piston and put the clamp on it and crank down. In this way the old pad spreads the force out.

That is how I did it.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Had a leaky exhaust cam seal on the GSR so I replaced it with a Blox aluminum unit. While I was in there I decided that it was worth my time to replace the valve cover gasket set as well. An hour well spent.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Vanagoon posted:

This works great on every front I've ever seen. Some rears (mostly with integrated parking brakes, it seems) don't like it and you need to turn them while you retract them with a special tool.

doogle
May 24, 2003

Put some lowering springs on the beater to raise it up off the bump stops.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Swapped out the 3rd out of the 4 motor mounts. This one attaches to the top of the transaxle.
Old mount:

It's hard to see it, but the last motor mount is down there attached to the lower side of the transaxle right next to the firewall. I expect that one to be a complete loving pain to swap out when I get to it.

New mount:

Battery tray, fuse box, and intake tubing put back in place above the mount:

Closer shot of the old mount:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Bank 1 upstream o2 sensor and EGR valve done on my Ram, gave it a hearty middle finger when I finished it off.

gently caress you, truck, I win.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

if one O2 sensor is gone, the other usually isn't too far behind.

They would have been a 10 minute job on my f-150, but plug on the passenger side sensor inexplicably fucks off back into a razor thin gap between the engine and firewall, and there isn't enough give in the wire to properly decouple the plug. loving fucks.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Yeah, I'm gonna do the other one ASAP, I just had limited funds on hand without dipping into my savings. The CEL kicked on right when my inspection ran out, and I've been on vacation the last week.

I put the pro in procrastination.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Vanagoon posted:

I use an old pad and this tool: http://www.ecstuning.com/ES8211/?gclid=CN2-6e2tjcMCFW4F7Aodf1wAxw

As noted, it will only work on calipers that don't contain a spiral threaded pbrake mechanism.

Previously I would put the old pads in the caliper, brace the non piston end on my knee, and use my two largest box wrenches as prybars to pry the piston back into the caliper. Then that tool (or a cheap knockoff of it) was on sale at the parts store so I added it to the collection.

doogle
May 24, 2003

I changed the valve cover gasket and spark plugs in the EF civic. I'm pretty sure the spark plugs had 233k miles on them as they didn't really have an electrode on them anymore. One of the previous owners decided to use RTV on the valve cover gasket when it started leaking, instead of buying a new one for less than $20. No more oil smoke when I start it up, maybe the valve seals aren't bad after all and it was the valve cover gasket.

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.
I installed a hood latch release cable on a 97 Civic. It was a pain in the rear end.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

New tyres to match my new rotors. Thing stops so hard it makes your face hurt.

msghall1229
Jan 13, 2015

Just Left of Boom!
Started pulling the engine on my 83 C10. Must say 6.2L Detroit Diesel's are a pain to get the engine out. Going to be placing a Vin J 6.2L Detroit out of a Military Hummer back into it. May have to do some modifications to the oil pan and pickup tube to make it fit between the cross members. Thinking of putting a Gale Banks Sidewinder turbo setup on it. Any thoughts on it?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I don't know anything about those motors, but can't you pull the oil pan, pickup, windage tray, etc off your old motor and slap them directly on the new one?

Also, aren't HMMWVs glacially slow?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I lifted the back, doing the front tomorrow

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Raluek posted:

I don't know anything about those motors, but can't you pull the oil pan, pickup, windage tray, etc off your old motor and slap them directly on the new one?

Also, aren't HMMWVs glacially slow?

Im reasonably sure that a HMMWV weighs about a glacier more than a C10 and that has something to do with its speed.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Late post from the weekend projects.
For the miata: Wix air filter, Rotella T6 and Wix filter on the motor, Motul Gear 300 in the trans, and Amsoil Severe Gear in the diff.

For the M3: Replaced the fuel pump and installed halos.

(sorry for lovely HDR, fuckers are bright and I was too lazy to properly edit a picture of a stupid car)

And then cleaned the garage.

Still have to organize tools better and clean the counter space, but the floor space is mostly in order.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Sadi posted:

Still have to organize tools better and clean the counter space, but the floor space is mostly in order.
What the gently caress show us the car with the louvers! I thought I was the only mustang with them here.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Its my GFs stang.
_MG_2374

_MG_2994

_MG_3004

Its a base 6 with 6 speed. Will be getting lowering springs, GT track pack shocks, and adjustable panhard bar soon.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Ok...now tell us more about your girlfriend. :allears:

Just kidding, thats a nice car!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Geirskogul posted:

They're called the blazecut, and around $200. Worth it.

I think I need one of these for my GMC. Any gotchas about routing it? Going to take a few measurements and decide on which size I want.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
Yesterday I helped a friend sort out some of his e36's mechanical issues and sunroof gremlins while he did some detailing. There was still some sunlight left when he finished, so...

My e30 got a paint detail!

Today he's finishing up the other side and detailing the interior while I find broken things to fix on his e36 and learn about detailing. I already got antsy and cleared the plumbing on the e30 and e36 for winter.. The e30's passenger floor just started getting damp a week ago, turns out my elephant trunk was packed tight with debris. Nobody ever thinks about that! Note to self: clean that thing out every summer when it's warm out, it's a pain to get back on in the winter.

I agreed to help him fix up and sort out his e36 since he decided to keep it as a daily. He's given it a $1-3k ish budget and told me that all of his wheels are bent and need replacing. Found some nice tasteful wheels for $370 in the same city I'm going to check out, that fit the new, good tires he has. Shame about him having good staggered tires though, I would have liked to have held off for a good square set of BBS style 5's for not much more. He also has lovely smoked ebay taillights on it from the PO that need replacing. Found a passenger side one in his shed but the driver side one he had was a replica and cracked, so I'll need to source one of those. He has glass euro headlights, and the smoked craplights on the back cheapen the look SO much. Mechanically, haven't really looked at it long enough to know what needs doing.

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 13, 2015

msghall1229
Jan 13, 2015

Just Left of Boom!

Ferremit posted:

Im reasonably sure that a HMMWV weighs about a glacier more than a C10 and that has something to do with its speed.

Yea it doesn't move fast. The key is I can drag almost anything with it. Just couldn't take the diesel out for a 350. It has been a pain to find parts for epically wiring harness.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
Got my new idle air control valve in for the Ranger today. Seems to have fixed the whining and the rough idle on startup.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think I need one of these for my GMC. Any gotchas about routing it? Going to take a few measurements and decide on which size I want.

Of course, they activate by heat, so they have to go above where you think a fire will happen, or where heat will collect. They also burst at around 270 (IIRC) so keep them away from immediate hot zones like exhaust headers. Try to imagine where a fire will start and where the flames will collect, and make sure it runs around there. Above fuel rails, above the exhaust header to block connection (usually dips a bit, think about fuel puddles and ignition points), or just above the wiring harness/fuel rail/vacuum hose rat's nest that most cars have.

I will be putting one right above my carburetor and routing it above the fuel line connections :haw:

I 3D printed some visor clips for the Beetle. The old ones are impossible to find, and I could make these in glow-in-the-dark plastic (the only "white" filament I have on hand). Seriously looks so much better than the homemade wire "clips" the PO left me.

(this one has some of the raft I later removed still stuck to it)

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 15, 2015

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

doogle posted:

Put some lowering springs on the beater to raise it up off the bump stops.

That happened when I replaced the stock springs in my '90 RX-7 with Racing Beat sport springs, The silly thing ended up slightly higher that it started, the stockers were so worn out.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Thought I was going to change out the shift linkage bushings, but the stuff I got was for the shift stabilizer bar instead.

These obviously aren't the same size bushing. Only one of the two bushing pieces were actually on the linkage, and I'm assuming the missing one had already disintegrated. :shepface:

I went ahead and swapped out the old shift stabilizer bushing since I had the part.

Old bushing.

Stabilizer bar on the right, shift linkage on the left. At the left edge of the pic is that last motor mount I need to replace. There's no room between it and the shift linkage to get a socket in there and there's a loving crossmember in the way of the bolts on the bottom of it.
Will be replacing those linkage bushings if I find somewhere that has them. Rockauto and amazon don't.

GoodbyeTurtles
Aug 18, 2012

:suezo:

Popped a new fuel filter and filter-to-carb rubber fuel hose on the imp due to the rubber being rotten and the filter being full of rust.
Some idiot had the great idea to make it so that you can use every last drop in the fuel tank by putting the draw pipe at the lowest point, somehow forgetting that rust & dirt exist.

Will be driving it by this time next week.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Will be replacing those linkage bushings if I find somewhere that has them. Rockauto and amazon don't.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=ATM0771303_0349821206

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

$1.50 huh. I ordered some on ebay for 30bux yesterday. Maybe I can cancel it since it hasn't shipped yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Bled 3ml of air out of a brake system that probably holds <10ml total. No wonder my MTB brakes didn't work.

I'd do some actual car work but the car doesn't ft in my living room. :shobon: