Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Thanks for the input, seems like it is worth a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Well, just bought my first toy: a vibrating butt plug. I take it the usual advice about prepping for anal applies. I hated the first time I tried anal with a partner,, so I'm hoping this will help me get used to it in a way. At the very least it sounds like fun!

For reference, it's a Tantus. I don't know if anyone has had experience with their products (hopefully good)?

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

Octy posted:

Well, just bought my first toy: a vibrating butt plug. I take it the usual advice about prepping for anal applies. I hated the first time I tried anal with a partner,, so I'm hoping this will help me get used to it in a way. At the very least it sounds like fun!

For reference, it's a Tantus. I don't know if anyone has had experience with their products (hopefully good)?

Should have gotten a Njoy pure plug but(t) Tantus toys are generally considered to be pretty good. Assuming you got a medium (most smalls are too small to bother with) start with a finger and some lube and work up to the plug for your first couple times.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Xeras posted:

Should have gotten a Njoy pure plug but(t) Tantus toys are generally considered to be pretty good. Assuming you got a medium (most smalls are too small to bother with) start with a finger and some lube and work up to the plug for your first couple times.

Oh, that looks nice. I just took the advice of the shop assistant and I felt awkward and in a rush to get out of there. I think it's a medium. It was substantially larger than some of the plugs she showed me that looked to be as small and thin as pens.

The Born Approx.
Oct 30, 2011
Well. A girl who I started dating recently and am really into dropped the H bomb on me. She was super upfront about everything and made sure to tell me before anything happened, so I trust her when she tells me that she's on medication for it, etc.

Still...I read the link about it in the OP, and consulted some other resources such as planned parenthood, and I'm still not sure what to think. Apparently, even if she takes her meds regularly, and isn't having outbreaks, and we use a condom 100% of the time, I'm still at pretty significant risk of catching it from her. It almost sounds like if we were in a long term sexual relationship, it'd be more "probable" than "possible" that I'd eventually become infected, too.

This sucks...I've never faced the prospect of a partner with an STD before. I'm super into her, but the more I think about it, the more it seems like this should be a deal breaker for my own safety. Anyone have any thoughts? I don't want to talk to any RL friends about this because I don't think it'd be right to tell them something so personal about this girl.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

There was recently a thread about this in the Goon Doctor, though I don't know how helpful it will be.

Cocksmith
Dec 28, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Born Approx. posted:

Well. A girl who I started dating recently and am really into dropped the H bomb on me. She was super upfront about everything and made sure to tell me before anything happened, so I trust her when she tells me that she's on medication for it, etc.

Still...I read the link about it in the OP, and consulted some other resources such as planned parenthood, and I'm still not sure what to think. Apparently, even if she takes her meds regularly, and isn't having outbreaks, and we use a condom 100% of the time, I'm still at pretty significant risk of catching it from her. It almost sounds like if we were in a long term sexual relationship, it'd be more "probable" than "possible" that I'd eventually become infected, too.

This sucks...I've never faced the prospect of a partner with an STD before. I'm super into her, but the more I think about it, the more it seems like this should be a deal breaker for my own safety. Anyone have any thoughts? I don't want to talk to any RL friends about this because I don't think it'd be right to tell them something so personal about this girl.

not worth it, dude. plenty of fish in the sea, many without std's.

The Born Approx.
Oct 30, 2011
Yeah, that thread seems to say what I've read elsewhere. :sigh:

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009

The Born Approx. posted:

The H bomb being "herpes" or "HIV"? I'm guessing HIV?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Hydrolith posted:

The H bomb being "herpes" or "HIV"? I'm guessing HIV?

Based on what he's saying about probably getting it despite barriers and medication, and also talk about "outbreaks" it's probably herpes.

Herpes seems way scarier than it actually is. According to wikipedia (and well sourced elsewhere) as many as 90% of people have the virus in their systems. For the vast majority of people, this means having 0 or 1 outbreaks in their entire lives, then nothing else changes.

If you're super in to this woman, go for it. You may get HSV from her, but if you've been sexually active in the past (and even maybe if you haven't), you likely already have the virus.

EDIT: Might not be a bad idea to get the HPV vaccine if you haven't.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 10, 2015

The Born Approx.
Oct 30, 2011
I think I'm too old for the vaccine, from what I remember from looking into it when the male version came out a few years ago.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yeah, ~60% of the US population has Herpes Simplex I, which generally manifests as oral herpes aka cold sores.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, ~60% of the US population has Herpes Simplex I, which generally manifests as oral herpes aka cold sores.

I was gonna say herpes used to be really common but apparently it still is. The thing that sucks about it other than the gross blemishes on your mouth is that they keep finding more and more links between viruses and cancer.

Also, if you really cared about her you'd take the plunge face first and get on those antivirals. Raw dog it up and when you break up hit up the H+ dating apps.

The Born Approx.
Oct 30, 2011
Gross blemishes on your mouth are totally fine I just don't want them on my dick

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Grumpwagon posted:

Based on what he's saying about probably getting it despite barriers and medication, and also talk about "outbreaks" it's probably herpes.

Herpes seems way scarier than it actually is. According to wikipedia (and well sourced elsewhere) as many as 90% of people have the virus in their systems. For the vast majority of people, this means having 0 or 1 outbreaks in their entire lives, then nothing else changes.

If you're super in to this woman, go for it. You may get HSV from her, but if you've been sexually active in the past (and even maybe if you haven't), you likely already have the virus.

EDIT: Might not be a bad idea to get the HPV vaccine if you haven't.

The vaccine is good to have in general, but it isn't really going to do anything for this situation since HPV and herpes are completely different things. Which you seem to know going from your post, but I just see this confusion come up a lot.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

The Born Approx. posted:

Herpes isn't THAT bad, at worst it's twice a year you're putting a cream on your dick for a week or two. It's not curable, but it's not dangerous, just periodically irritating. It's up to you what is a deal breaker for your relationships, but I would value a good relationship over what is ultimately a potential nuisance, and condoms and meds still do help significantly. If it helps, it's probably very unlikely you'd get herpes in the first year or two if you take precautions, so you can get to know her more.

The Born Approx. posted:

Gross blemishes on your mouth are totally fine I just don't want them on my dick

Really? I'd want any sores to be where other people can't see them, dick or otherwise.

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009
If it's herpes, I really wouldn't be that worried. There was a great documentary on herpes on a few months ago that goes into living with herpes. Apparently the worst part about it is the stigma. The actual disease itself is really not much of a big deal.

Worth watching. http://www.abc.net.au/tv/openingshot/episode/1/

e: crap, that's the behind the scenes vids. I can't find the actual thing. It's called "Dating the H-Bomb". Was quite lighthearted.

Hydrolith fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 11, 2015

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

hoobajoo posted:

Really? I'd want any sores to be where other people can't see them, dick or otherwise.

On the other hand, cold sores are so common that people don't usually make a big thing out of it when you have one like they do if they find out you have genital herpes.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Yeah, the idea of herpes and the stigma associated with having it are significantly worse than the disease itself, but it is still an unpleasant condition. I don't know how I would react to a partner telling me they were positive. Can you get both Simplex 1 and 2?

The Born Approx.
Oct 30, 2011
Yeah I get that the disease itself isn't that big of a deal, but I don't want to have to deal with it coming up for any future partners I have if I end up getting it :(

anaaki
Apr 2, 2008

Kimmalah posted:

On the other hand, cold sores are so common that people don't usually make a big thing out of it when you have one like they do if they find out you have genital herpes.

This. My brother had a chin piercing and when he went to the dentist they all were so fascinated they stuck their fingers inside his lip. He ended up getting a strain of herpes from it. When it breaks out, it just looks like cold sores. It obviously ended up getting passed to his wife through kissing, but they manage it with creams and what not.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

anaaki posted:

This. My brother had a chin piercing and when he went to the dentist they all were so fascinated they stuck their fingers inside his lip. He ended up getting a strain of herpes from it. When it breaks out, it just looks like cold sores. It obviously ended up getting passed to his wife through kissing, but they manage it with creams and what not.

This sounds like an elaborate story your brother made up to explain away his herpes.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That story sounds really fake.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

anaaki posted:

Cold sores are always herpes -- saying a herpes breakout "looks like cold sores" doesn't make much sense. In any case, the vast majority of people have HSV1 even if they don't show symptoms.

So yeah, congratulations to almost everyone in the thread on your herpes.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Not true

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Those figures are for HSV2. HSV1 is much more prevalent, about 70% in the US according to that same study, and higher in a lot of other countries.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 16, 2015

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Sorry, you're right that was for HSV-2, I hit the wrong thing on my phone.

But those super high numbers you're talking about are for lifetime prevalence. Goons aren't 80 and hopefully aren't having sex with 80-year-olds. In your 20s-30s, the prevalence is much lower. If we're aware/careful about HSV-1/2, hopefully we can keep the rate low as we age, as opposed to just going "lol whatever we all have it already" and then catching it.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
133% of people in Netherlands have herps? :eyepop: :geert:

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I got my information from earlier in this thread mostly.

HSV-1&2 aren't considered STDs because they don't have any effects to the reproductive system. They're considered a skin disease. They typically are not tested for on regular STD screenings. They are usually only tested for if you have a sore. You and/or your partner could have the virus and be asymptomatic. If you're asymptomatic, you are unlikely to transmit it. The biggest risk is the sores may make it more likely for HIV to be transmitted. Aside from that, they are just uncomfortable and unattractive.

If that's correct, then it's not really a scary thing. I still don't want it but it doesn't sound horrifying or anything.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Anne Whateley posted:

Sorry, you're right that was for HSV-2, I hit the wrong thing on my phone.

But those super high numbers you're talking about are for lifetime prevalence. Goons aren't 80 and hopefully aren't having sex with 80-year-olds. In your 20s-30s, the prevalence is much lower. If we're aware/careful about HSV-1/2, hopefully we can keep the rate low as we age, as opposed to just going "lol whatever we all have it already" and then catching it.

It's almost 70% for people age 35; lifetime prevalence is drat near 90%. In any case, the effects of the disease are generally so minor, and the ways to catch it so widespread, that talking about "awareness" and protection is kind of laughable. In any case, sex has very little to do with it -- are you going to stop your 80-year-old grandmother, who statistically is almost assured to have HSV1, from kissing you on the cheek?

Most people just don't show symptoms, or don't realize what the symptoms are because they're so minor and infrequent.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 16, 2015

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

GoodBee posted:

If that's correct, then it's not really a scary thing. I still don't want it but it doesn't sound horrifying or anything.

Exactly right. You'd never want to have it, but it's a nuisance, rather than sex leprosy.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
No because you don't get cheek herpes :confused:

GoodBee posted:

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I got my information from earlier in this thread mostly.

HSV-1&2 aren't considered STDs because they don't have any effects to the reproductive system. They're considered a skin disease.
HSV-2 is considered an STD; HSV-1 is increasingly becoming one (you can get either type in either location). They do affect the reproductive system.

quote:

They typically are not tested for on regular STD screenings. They are usually only tested for if you have a sore. You and/or your partner could have the virus and be asymptomatic. If you're asymptomatic, you are unlikely to transmit it.
True. (It's still possible to transmit it with no outbreaks.)

quote:

The biggest risk is the sores may make it more likely for HIV to be transmitted. Aside from that, they are just uncomfortable and unattractive.
Well, no. If a pregnant woman gets herpes, the baby has a chance of being seriously hosed up. If you touch your junk/mouth and then your eye, you could go blind (sounds unlikely, but it's the most common cause of corneal blindness in developed nations).. HSV-1 is linked to Alzheimer's. There are a bunch more gory possibilities you can find on Wikipedia or in your high-school health textbook.

A lot of people have it, it doesn't make them dirty or bad or whatever, but there are plenty of good reasons not to want it. You might be a lucky carrier who doesn't have symptoms (but does infect others), or it could really screw up your life.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Anne Whateley posted:

No because you don't get cheek herpes :confused:

HSV-2 is considered an STD; HSV-1 is increasingly becoming one (you can get either type in either location). They do affect the reproductive system.

True. (It's still possible to transmit it with no outbreaks.)

Well, no. If a pregnant woman gets herpes, the baby has a chance of being seriously hosed up. If you touch your junk/mouth and then your eye, you could go blind (sounds unlikely, but it's the most common cause of corneal blindness in developed nations).. HSV-1 is linked to Alzheimer's. There are a bunch more gory possibilities you can find on Wikipedia or in your high-school health textbook.

A lot of people have it, it doesn't make them dirty or bad or whatever, but there are plenty of good reasons not to want it. You might be a lucky carrier who doesn't have symptoms (but does infect others), or it could really screw up your life.

In the case of pregnancy, the major risk factor is when you acquire herpes for the first time while pregnant. So if you want to be really safe, make sure you have it ahead of time :v:

The Born Approx.
Oct 30, 2011

hoobajoo posted:

Exactly right. You'd never want to have it, but it's a nuisance, rather than sex leprosy.

Like every single other human on Earth I vastly prefer not using a condom when I'm in a relationship, and having genital herpes kinda seems like a headshot to that plan.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

The Born Approx. posted:

Like every single other human on Earth I vastly prefer not using a condom when I'm in a relationship, and having genital herpes kinda seems like a headshot to that plan.

Some people can't even tell the difference between a condom being on their penis or not!

These people are mad, granted, but still.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

The Born Approx. posted:

Don't worry about it, HSV 2 sheds through skin cells, not body fluids. That means, just like with syphilis, you're basically flipping a coin every time you have sex, condom or not. Statistically speaking, anyways. And the same goes for HPV.

Passing on a skin shedding viral STI is a numbers game that will severely limit your dating pool, but condoms are a bit of an after thought at that stage of the relationship because they suck as contraceptives. Good at preventing fluid based diseases though

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Great if you're too lazy to put down a towel or clean up. Just squirt the baby batter and flush it down the toilet.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

The Born Approx. posted:

Condoms don't protect against herpes, so raw dog away

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

Great if you're too lazy to put down a towel or clean up. Just squirt the baby batter and flush it down the toilet.

Towel? Don't you have a shirt that you literally just took off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

The Born Approx. posted:

Even if condoms did prevent all herpes as well as other STDs, and discounting that if you had herpes you could just date someone else that has it, I'd still call that a nuisance-level inconvenience.