Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Are we going to get the goty.cx awards this year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Nightbraid

So this year is the first time I've skipped all the Giant Bomb GOTY coverage. It's one of those things where I knew I wouldn't enjoy it, but some compulsion always forced me into it in the past. It felt good to not listen to hours of bickering this time.

It's like how I always say I don't want to watch press conferences; I'd rather let other people watch and summarize the salient points for later digestion at my leisure, but then I get sucked in anyway. No more!

They were actually pretty good, especially when dan tried to argue for Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze's soundtrack for best music and managed to pick the worst tracks as examples, which wound up turning the people who were on his side initially against him. Just skip the actual GOTY award discussion on day five, it sucks and is full of hypocrisy.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

As one of the Eurotrash called out repeatedly on the latest Abject Suffering:

You guys can poo poo all over James Pond to your heart's content, but I will not hear a word against McVitie's Penguins, which are utterly delightful and delicious.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Tae posted:

No amount of pc people would convince brad to not put destiny in the list, he was full on stockholm syndrome with the game.

If the Talos Principle wasn't released too late and too under the radar for their consideration it could have easily bumped Destiny off of the list.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

As much as some people give Alex poo poo for some reason at least he was willing to say that it makes no sense to put Destiny on a GOTY list after naming it one of the most disappointing games. It was probabaly the most salient point made over the entire 5 days of podcasts that was subsequently ignored by Jeff and Brad so Destiny #10 GOTY Giantbomb 2014!

A game can be disappointing and still be good. Destiny is still a good game. I don't know why this is so hard for people to grasp.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

The Milkman posted:

A game can be disappointing and still be good. Destiny is still a good game. I don't know why this is so hard for people to grasp.

Because in this instance out of the 8 people discussing it, 6.5 didn't think that it was a good game at all. Jeff ended up flipping despite building a year-long case that Destiny is terrible, but no one else at the table had any desire to put Destiny in the top 10. Having games that only a single person likes is precisely why they do individual top 10 lists in addition to the main GOTY stuff. Brad hijacking an hour of the last day of the biggest podcast of the year for his childish filibuster was just frustrating to listen to and was easily the least entertaining hour of the 12 they recorded for GOTY discussions.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I'm not saying this to start a fight or anything but as someone who doesn't listen to the Bombcast, from the outside, it really sounds like a lot of people with bad strong opinions about games or apathetic good ones. Again, I could totally be wrong, but every time I've seen people talking about the show online it's more or less an anti advertisement.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If you judge anything by a Games thread, everything is poo poo and terrible .

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

The Milkman posted:

Cause in a world where more than 10 games are released in a year there's no need to give a game that's made by Bungie and published by Activision a pity place on a GOTY list. But whatever, GOTY lists are ultimately pointless. I bearly listen to any game press outlet opinions on games anyway, I know my own preferences well enough. All these things ever do is make me measure how my opinions and perspective stack up compared to others, which is fine but also makes me realize that I should take certain opinions with varying amounts of salt. For example, I don't really like any of the same games as Jeff or Brad so I usually think about their opinions with that in mind. Destiny being on the list seems like they're telling the industry that it's ok to deliver an ultimately disappointing experience because people will still throw money and accolades at you anyway.

Also marketing works really well even if we like to think we're above it.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Tae posted:

If you judge anything by a Games thread, everything is poo poo and terrible .

That doesn't seem to be true. There's lots of enthusiasm for all sorts of stuff on the games thread. Shrug, it doesn't matter to me. It's just weird that for something so supposedly beloved, the only positive things I read about it are apologetic in tone.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Giantbomb is not a website about game opinions, it's a site about comedians that happen to really like games and they highly preach going to sites that agree with a person's opinions instead of hoping they turn their opinion to a specific person's.

Except Dan Ryckert. He is a weapon of destruction that should be appeased because he will destroy the world if games didn't exist.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Woffle posted:

I'm not saying this to start a fight or anything but as someone who doesn't listen to the Bombcast, from the outside, it really sounds like a lot of people with bad strong opinions about games or apathetic good ones. Again, I could totally be wrong, but every time I've seen people talking about the show online it's more or less an anti advertisement.

I also don't see the appeal.

But more importantly, Holy heck does listening to Crate & Crowbar make me want to buy and play games. I have multiple tabs of Elite: Dangerous videos open and even more of different flight sticks that look rad as hell. This game looks so loving cool, and hearing them talk about it just, ugh. Why isn't everyone talking about this thing? IT LOOKS SO COOL!

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

It's not a podcast you go to for well articulated opinions and arguments about video games, people expecting that from them are always going to be disappointed

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I like the Bombcast because they're knowledgeable, have good chemistry which leads to humorous conversations, and I am a broken person who cannot be left with his own thoughts while doing chores and it does that for 3 hours a week.

Not to get nostalgic for a loving podcast but they were one of the first I started following when it started up and I was in a funky personal space at that time too, and the light-hearted nature of it all helped me keep the bad thoughts away.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Stan Taylor posted:

Why isn't everyone talking about this thing? IT LOOKS SO COOL!
It's not on steam. No really I myself am waiting for it to be on steam to buy because I don't want to have to buy it again. No one buys anything on PC that isn't on a service like Steam, Origin, and so on.

Mr. Bill
Jan 18, 2007
Bourgeoisie Pig
I have enjoyed The Giant Bombcast in the past and continue to do so even today. It is a thing that entertains me in many ways! I am in no way apologetic about this.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Mr. Bill posted:

I have enjoyed The Giant Bombcast in the past and continue to do so even today. It is a thing that entertains me in many ways! I am in no way apologetic about this.

and you shouldnt be

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It definitely lost a lot with the death of Ryan Davis. There is a reason there's literally dozens of hours of "best of" compilations from giant bomb and the bombcast, and brad and Jeff have definitely gotten way more cynical since that happened. I think a lot of the apologetic tone some posts have is a fear that it'll all fall apart with all the changes recently, and "no its still great guys, really! :unsmith:"

Just how it seems like to me sometimes as a follower of GB since the early days.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Patrick moving to Chicago didn't help either, both he and Ryan were cheerful assholes, which balanced out Jeff's cynicism and Vinny's mania.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

To clarify, I don't think anyone needs to be apologetic. I hope you see what I mean when I say that. I think Captain Invictus explained it well.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

It definitely lost a lot with the death of Ryan Davis. There is a reason there's literally dozens of hours of "best of" compilations from giant bomb and the bombcast, and brad and Jeff have definitely gotten way more cynical since that happened. I think a lot of the apologetic tone some posts have is a fear that it'll all fall apart with all the changes recently, and "no its still great guys, really! :unsmith:"

Just how it seems like to me sometimes as a follower of GB since the early days.

Personally I think GB now is better than it has been since it was sold to CBS. Even if it was only a holding cell to keep Dan Rykert from killing us all I still like the content they're putting out now a whole lot better than it's been for years.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Then again I might be a being almost entirely nourished by negativity.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
For me, Giant bomb isn't a website I visit for it's video-game coverage. It's a site like likeable personalities that just happens to strive to cover as many video game releases as possible. In fairness, I have followed Jeff Gerstman since the Gamespot days and I've always admired his knowledge of the industry.

Hell one of the prevailing themes of the bombcast is they discuss all sorts of topics from food to travel to pop culture (in a humorous way), it's how the manage to produce a roughly 3 hour show each week.

If there was a Giant bomb style podcast which was UK based and about soccer I'd be a happy bunny.

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

I like and continue to listen to the Bombcast because

a) I think the hosts are funny and clever and quick-witted,
b) Jeff's "controversial" opinions are often identical to mine, and therefore 100% correct,
c) Brad's voice is like a warm blanket soaked in expensive brandy,
d) they talk about big popular games and industry stuff, a lot of which I would otherwise just not ever hear about.

I would describe it to an interested but unfamiliar party as being a mainstream games podcast with the directness, levity and format you'd usually associate with an indie games podcast. Also as being very long, so if you don't have a lot of podcast time in your week then I can see why you might skip it.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Bill posted:

You owe me a huge apology and I'm going to keep posting until you give it.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Giant Bomb is definitely more about personality. The bombcast is best when they aren't discussing video games. I think it's considered beloved due to past greatness - the loss of Ryan really had a profound effect (a negative one) on the crew. The new additions aren't really filling the void, either.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Funkmaster General posted:

Giant Bomb is definitely more about personality. The bombcast is best when they aren't discussing video games. I think it's considered beloved due to past greatness - the loss of Ryan really had a profound effect (a negative one) on the crew. The new additions aren't really filling the void, either.

Yeah I gave the new bombcast a fair shake (a year) but it has just lost lost the magic completely. I stopped listening months ago now and haven't really looked back.

I read in this thread about the episode with vinny and patrick coming back and thought I would download it for old times sake but then the next post was about how half an hour of it was dedicated to explaining to dan rykert what a mortgage is and I just thought , yeah I can probably survive with out hearing that.

A sad end to an amazing podcast in it's heyday. :gbsmith:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Well yeah, as much as I love dan and Jason joining the crew, nobody can replace Ryan Davis. He was incredibly talented and quick-witted, with a perfect voice for radio and exceptionally good judgement on when a conversation wasn't going anywhere, as well as having great contacts that he would bring on the show fairly often(such as, well, dan ryckert). His scathing, open hatred for certain things were matched with an excellent humor as he mocked them, and him and Jeff were a modern day Abbott and Costello(except actually friends). genuinely can't think of many people who were as good as Ryan at making you feel welcome when meeting him for the first time. He had crazy amounts of charisma and it's a loving tragedy that he passed away so young, especially on his honeymoon.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jippa posted:

Yeah I gave the new bombcast a fair shake (a year) but it has just lost lost the magic completely. I stopped listening months ago now and haven't really looked back.

I read in this thread about the episode with vinny and patrick coming back and thought I would download it for old times sake but then the next post was about how half an hour of it was dedicated to explaining to dan rykert what a mortgage is and I just thought , yeah I can probably survive with out hearing that.

I still think the bombcast is good, but it's not ever going to be as good when it was brad/jeff/ryan/vinny/patrick. As much as I love drew coming into his own, and Dan can be extremely funny, they just can't replace Ryan and Vinny.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
It's the same loving podcasts it's always been, people leave, people join, video games are played, and Brad continues to play DoTA.

Ryan dying was a blow to the podcasts only in that any death is a loving bummer.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Jippa posted:

I'll be completely honest these posts about how it's unfathomable that someone could not know what a mortgage is piss me off. Plenty of us have not had a reason to learn, especially if we have no plans to own a house. This is seriously not just a Dan Ryckert-ism worthy of rolling your eyes. If not knowing much about what a mortgage is makes one an idiot in your eyes, gently caress off. Now, faking the need for glasses until you actually need them, that's a special Dan Moment for sure.

I apologize in advance if "gently caress off" seems a bit harsh, but there's been enough of these posts that I wonder if it's some bourgeois bullshit to assume everyone should be looking to buy a house. Half my friends could probably only define a mortgage as "a loan of some kind?".

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tir McDohl posted:

If not knowing much about what a mortgage is makes one an idiot in your eyes, gently caress off

Agreed. People made a huge song and dance about this and I failed to understand why. I'm the same age as Dan and I had no desire to learn what a mortgage was until I bought my house a year or two ago.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I was just saying that listening to half an hour of explanation of what a mortgage is didn't really sound very entertaining. No value judgements.

GB is/was completely based around personality, it just feels like they have significantly downgraded and the whole thing has suffered.

If you still love it then fair enough. I was just passing comment as some one who listened to it for many years.

Jippa fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 10, 2015

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

Tir McDohl posted:

I'll be completely honest these posts about how it's unfathomable that someone could not know what a mortgage is piss me off. Plenty of us have not had a reason to learn, especially if we have no plans to own a house. This is seriously not just a Dan Ryckert-ism worthy of rolling your eyes. If not knowing much about what a mortgage is makes one an idiot in your eyes, gently caress off.
I think you don't need to be planning to buy a house to know what a mortgage is. It seems like the kind of thing you would know simply by occasionally following the news and just generally being a little aware of the world around you, beyond what vidya games teach you.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
It's not like he thought it was a type of cheese or something. He just didn't know the details or what refinancing a mortgage entails. I would wager that it's not something most people learn about as they grow up, it's something that you at some point either have explained to you or look up because you start looking into buying a house.

The bottom line is there are like a thousand other, better reasons for why Dan's an (self-admitted) idiot besides "lol he doesn't know what this specific thing that only applies when you're trying to buy a house is".

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I think you guys are missing the point. Nobody cares if some one understands what a mortgage is. It's about what you find entertaining.

Jippa fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 10, 2015

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Also I can't imagine what would lead us to make exaggerated or uncharitable assumptions about Dan Ryckert's lack of prior knowledge on a subject other than video games, professional wrestling, or fast food

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

I think some of the VGHD guys read the thread:

What's with the background Jeff Goldblum around 19 minutes into this weeks cast? And will it be a recurring feature?

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It's the same loving podcasts it's always been, people leave, people join, video games are played, and Brad continues to play DoTA.

Ryan dying was a blow to the podcasts only in that any death is a loving bummer.
The Bombcast is very much not "the same loving podcasts it's always been", because as a personality driven podcast it is it's hosts.

Losing Ryan is obviously the most tragic change, but with Vinny and Patrick gone too it is literally a different show. I personally still enjoy it, but I would never say it was the same as it used to be.

VDay posted:

The bottom line is there are like a thousand other, better reasons for why Dan's an (self-admitted) idiot besides "lol he doesn't know what this specific thing that only applies when you're trying to buy a house is".
Yeah, like his hatred for live theatre (especially musicals) and his desire to have games be purely escapist and never deal with real world issues. Even if Dan is a character, it's a character that I find hard to enjoy.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
He never said games can't be about real world issues he said

"Video games should be an escape from all the serious, negative stuff in the world. Try to focus on the fun in 2015. It's a much better time."

Which I interpreted as games can be a good way to just get away from all of the awful poo poo happening in your own life. If he only cared about fun he wouldn't have enjoyed Gone Home because that deals with serious issues, but he was positive about that on twitter back in 2013. He also obviously understands the benefit of people sharing their own experiences with things, as he's talked about wanting to share some of his experiences with anxiety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Pasco posted:

I think some of the VGHD guys read the thread:

What's with the background Jeff Goldblum around 19 minutes into this weeks cast? And will it be a recurring feature?
Ambient Goldblum is probably just a regular feature of the Campo Santo office :allears:

• Locked thread