Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

CJacobs posted:

If bows were good in Dark Souls I would agree with you that they are viable for fighting flying enemies (this is not so)

I'm pretty sure a bow especially with poison arrows is the easiest way to cheese 90% of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Golden Goose
Jul 23, 2007

Your Computer posted:

Counterpoint: They're good.

e: really good.

:agreed:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I've never played a *souls game and all i'm getting from this run is if a little man 1/20th my size runs up to me and starts punching me in my ankles and I don't run away I'll be dead in 1 minute.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
If only ranged weapons weren't insanely bad for str, which is needed for the correct ways to play, which is caestus or UGS :goonsay:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kanfy posted:

I'm pretty sure a bow especially with poison arrows is the easiest way to cheese 90% of the game.

They are very good for plinking away at people from outside their aggro radius, that is true.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Your Computer posted:

Counterpoint: They're good.

e: really good.

The bow mechanics are still lovely and not fun to use. The Guardian dragon is still a lovely boss fight and using bows in it will probably just make the fight go slower.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Welp here comes the next 40 minutes of this speed run

El Golden Goose
Jul 23, 2007
So, why isn't Oginam trying to get the Throne Watcher to fall off the edge?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

beep by grandpa posted:

Get hosed:
Battleblock theater (pj owns but this game is dreadful)

Whatever, the devs were awesome for this run. Totally worth listening to.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Nalesh posted:

If only ranged weapons weren't insanely bad for str, which is needed for the correct ways to play, which is caestus or UGS :goonsay:

Dual wield Crossbows. :cmon:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
The classic "I'm just gonna heal out of their reach oh poo poo" -Dark Souls death.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nalesh posted:

Dragonrider Bow.

Also, that could've been a nice save. "Red Tearstone strats!!"

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

"Don't give us ESA flashbacks" lol

Leeham721
Jan 4, 2015
Bubbles firing artillery at noob

VOLUME WARNING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdqfzKBJPn0&t=14s

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
That whispery "you died" was amazing,

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Your Computer posted:

Dragonrider Bow.

Such a fantastic weapon. I might have made it magic though. I can't remember.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Sir Tonk posted:

Whatever, the devs were awesome for this run. Totally worth listening to.

You might be right about this and I might add that you're better off treating the run like a podcast and not a speedrun.

I just remember doing my laundry while that was going on and every time I looked at the screen all the gameplay and design in every level was nearly indistinguishable from the one before it. Add to that it was 3 hours long and baaaaaaaaaaaaarf

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

This run reminds me just how unfinished some parts of Dark Souls 2 look. Some areas are gorgeous, like the starting town, parts of the dragon aerie, etc, and other areas literally look like they were pushed out half-finished, unlit and without a final texture pass. Just jack up the ambient lighting, scrap the shadowmaps and ship it. A lot of Brightstone Cove is just downright fugly, far worse than anything in the original Dark Souls.

Fingers crossed that the HD re-release later this year cleans that stuff up. A lot of the ugliest areas showed up in pre-release trailers looking much nicer.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

Your Computer posted:

I'm sad he didn't make his character blue, now that I think about it.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

El Golden Goose posted:

So, why isn't Oginam trying to get the Throne Watcher to fall off the edge?

It takes longer and is not reliable.

El Golden Goose
Jul 23, 2007

Healbot posted:

It takes longer and is not reliable.

Makes sense.

Get buck for Noobest chokefest 2015

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Lego is already plural :goonsay:

Leeham721
Jan 4, 2015

DAD IS THAT YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

HGH posted:

That whispery "you died" was amazing,

Yes, that was a high point for a low blow.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Is the FFVII run going to be a textbox-fest or watchable? I don't have much nostalgia for the game and wondering if it's worth staying up for.

El Golden Goose
Jul 23, 2007

Sir Tonk posted:

Lego is already plural :goonsay:

The official preferred plural is "LEGO bricks" actually :goonsay:

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Schurik posted:

Is the FFVII run going to be a textbox-fest or watchable? I don't have much nostalgia for the game and wondering if it's worth staying up for.

Some pretty incredible glitches go into making FFVII a 3 hour game.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Schurik posted:

Apparently it starts slow, but just sorta blows up in funny ways after the Midgard part of the game. I haven't seen it personally though.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I wish I could find a pic of that rainbow-coloured lobster face

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

El Golden Goose posted:

The official preferred plural is "LEGO bricks" actually :goonsay:

:argh:

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

Would I be right in thinking the PCF focuses on detection of cancer and its causes? As opposed to treatment/cure research as many donation comments imply?

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM

Countblanc posted:

Apparently it starts slow, but just sorta blows up in funny ways after the Midgard part of the game. I haven't seen it personally though.

How long does it take to get past Midgard?

Leeham721
Jan 4, 2015

Can WWE games play along?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
The FFVII run gets good when they get Yuffie, which is after Midgar.

HUMAN FISH posted:

How long does it take to get past Midgard?

Probably about an hour.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
That was okay I guess.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009

Dominic White posted:

This run reminds me just how unfinished some parts of Dark Souls 2 look. Some areas are gorgeous, like the starting town, parts of the dragon aerie, etc, and other areas literally look like they were pushed out half-finished, unlit and without a final texture pass. Just jack up the ambient lighting, scrap the shadowmaps and ship it. A lot of Brightstone Cove is just downright fugly, far worse than anything in the original Dark Souls.

Fingers crossed that the HD re-release later this year cleans that stuff up. A lot of the ugliest areas showed up in pre-release trailers looking much nicer.

There was a huge downgrade of graphics before release.
http://kotaku.com/yes-dark-souls-ii-looks-different-than-it-did-last-yea-1543149728

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Cerebulon posted:

Would I be right in thinking the PCF focuses on detection of cancer and its causes? As opposed to treatment/cure research as many donation comments imply?

Yes but they help people get grants for research.

Leeham721
Jan 4, 2015

Which may or may not be added back to the re-release in February with DX11 support - Sins of The Scholar or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Schurik fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 10, 2015

• Locked thread