Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Sadly, that configuration doesn't seem to be possible. There's no way to construct the landing between floors without using an extra floor and/or foundations, as far as I can tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

So the Outdoor Retreat "game pack" (which does indeed seem to be a new level of content in between Stuff packs and expansion packs) has been officially announced. Here's everything simsvip has on the subject: http://simsvip.com/category/the-sims-4-outdoor-retreat/

For a tl;dr, I'll list an overview of the major features:

- You can't live in the new Granite Falls world, but your Sim can visit there at any time, same as switching between the two worlds in the base game. There won't be a time limit like in World Adventures. You can choose to either simply set up a tent somewhere or rent a cabin

- The world consists of at least two neighborhoods, the campground and a national park, which you can edit freely with the Manage Lots tool

- New herbalism skill allows you to make potions

- New collectibles (plants, insects, etc) available in Granite Falls, to be used in potion-making or in new recipes

- New activities like the campfire (which at the very least allows roasting marshmallows as seen in official art, though there's probably more to do with it) and a horseshoes stand

- New clothing options, including a bear costume

- "Trickster Bear" NPC roaming around causing mischief, as well as a mystical hermit in the mountains

And finally, it's due out this month :toot:

I'll probably wait until other people give it a shot and see if it's worth $20 before buying it myself but then again I said the same thing about the base game and ended up preordering that, so :confuoot:

Punished Chuck fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 9, 2015

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I don't think I'll be spending $20 for the chance to have my Sims not live in a house.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Sounds good. Day 1 purchase for me.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

KillHour posted:

No, I want to make my house, damnit.

It's not like I have a particularly unusual staircase configuration, but you couldn't do that in The Sims 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAPoMfcN-SA&t=69s

It's a hell of a lot easier these days, but it wasn't impossible to make a split level house in The Sims 3 either. It merely required dozens of build mode cheats and careful manipulation.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Elliotw2 posted:

It's a hell of a lot easier these days, but it wasn't impossible to make a split level house in The Sims 3 either. It merely required dozens of build mode cheats and careful manipulation.

Sadly that won't help with the landing between the 1st and 2nd floors.

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

Chamale posted:

I don't think I'll be spending $20 for the chance to have my Sims not live in a house.

Your sims still live in a house in one of the regular neighborhoods. This is a vacation area where they go to stay for several days, sort of like the France/China/Egypt areas of the World Adventures expansion.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I wouldn't consider Outdoor Retreat a full fledged Sims expansion. I think they are still going to do full expansion style content, adding many many new features and gameplay elements. Adding two neighbourhoods and some more activities to do, with the hoods being smaller than they are in Sims 3, it's about the right price for a "premium" hood, even when it just adds a few new things to do.

A full fledged expansion would get more exposure than just a small bit of snippets of the gameplay pack. They announce an expansion months ahead of release, not a month before a content pack is out. I am going to be getting it on day 1, as the town is just a little too small and my Sims need to go outside and spend their vacation days doing something fun instead of sitting at home training their skills.

Not to mention I liked the Forest part of Sims 2 Bon Voyage for my Sims to have vacations in.

Of course, if they put out these Gameplay packs for a reasonable price and also keep releasing them in a reasonable timeframe of each other, the contents of each could outweigh the amount of content an Expansion pack might give.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 9, 2015

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

- "Trickster Bear" NPC roaming around causing mischief, as well as a mystical hermit in the mountains

Too bad they didn't do a callback to TS1.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

IAmTheRad posted:

Weird anime looks?

:staredog: I wasn't expecting an actual gooncave stuff pack.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Personally I've never cared for the vacation expansion packs. I don't really want my Sims to leave their house because upgrading the house is a major part of the fun for me.

Question; since the open world system is gone, how does the game handle having multiple household Sims in different locations? Do you have to go through long loading screens when switching between sims? Can you even do that now?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
You go through a loading screen but it's not nearly as long as it was in 2.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The load screens are pretty quick and seamless. The Sims not on the active lot go into a semi-autonomous mode, similar to being at work. I haven't paid close enough attention to see if actions like "Clean Up" actually result in all the dishes being washed when I get home.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Sims are far more lenient hosts. I went to that one rich family's (landgrabb?) house and fought all the adults and pissed off the kids. Then I clogged all their sinks and showers. It was a two day long process but it wasn't a big deal, I cooked food in their kitchen and slept in their beds so I didn't have to leave and come back.

e: also it appears you can't purposely create stove fires by leaving food in the oven. I'm not sure if that's because I was on a neighbor lot.

buglord fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 9, 2015

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Outdoor retreat is available next week.

Releasing the trailer the same week as the full product? Seems legit.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

IAmTheRad posted:

Outdoor retreat is available next week.

Releasing the trailer the same week as the full product? Seems legit.

Isn't that how the patches have been handled as well?

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Avocados posted:

Sims are far more lenient hosts. I went to that one rich family's (landgrabb?) house and fought all the adults and pissed off the kids. Then I clogged all their sinks and showers. It was a two day long process but it wasn't a big deal, I cooked food in their kitchen and slept in their beds so I didn't have to leave and come back.

e: also it appears you can't purposely create stove fires by leaving food in the oven. I'm not sure if that's because I was on a neighbor lot.

Sometimes I make a Sim version of myself and my sister and our house, and move them into the neighborhood of the game I'm playing, to be in the background of the town just hanging around and stuff. My favorite Sims 4 moment so far has been when I had a sim and her boyfriend barge into my sim-self's virtual house, introduce themselves, and proceed to have sex in my sister's-sim- bed while sim-me and sim-sister made awkward conversation about salad while in front of the TV.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Catalina posted:

Sometimes I make a Sim version of myself and my sister and our house, and move them into the neighborhood of the game I'm playing, to be in the background of the town just hanging around and stuff. My favorite Sims 4 moment so far has been when I had a sim and her boyfriend barge into my sim-self's virtual house, introduce themselves, and proceed to have sex in my sister's-sim- bed while sim-me and sim-sister made awkward conversation about salad while in front of the TV.

You should have your sims delete their online dating profiles.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

IAmTheRad posted:

EA has announced that they will continue the free content updates after Outdoor Retreat. They also have announced that owning the PC version will give you access to the mac version as well.

On another tangent, I've been scouring the web to see hairstyles and skintones that people have made for the game. I have not put them in my game as they are terrible. Sims turn from looking cartoony and fitting the style of the rest of the game into looking like they are completely devoid of life, and are slathered with makeup even if they would be sims who wouldn't touch the stuff. There are skintones and hair that fits with the styles of the games, of course. The ones that fit the style of the game are more competent than custom hair as they don't just appear to be ripped from Sims 2/3 custom content.

And then the filter for the Gallery doesn't hide stuff that is using custom content if you need to download it from an external website in order to use it. Unowned content is different, as I don't have every single light/freezerbot llama trophy for buying The Sims 3. I do not need those lights or trophy to enjoy a lot/room I grab.

Honestly, I've always felt that custom content isn't as good as it was as in TS2, but that could be that I'm still looking through sites like ModTheSims, which definitely had its heyday during TS2. It seems that creators have moved towards blogs and tumblrs for sharing their stuff and tumblr's search function sucks balls, since putting in 'the sims 3' would always get me a hundred people sharing fifty million 'artistic' pictures of their sims with custom content that made them look like some sort of creepy doll and one hair retexture that doesn't link to the source.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Sims 4 has only been out for 4 months, but if you look at the content that came with the game, it has a larger variety than Sims 3 or Sims 2 when it was released. I am not including different customizations of the objects or clothing themselves. That would be a completely unfair comparision because of create-a-style. But also remember that Sims 4 is still in the infancy in the terms of modding. It's around 4 months old, after all. Some modders might not have made the switch yet, waiting for the first expansion like some goons might be waiting for it.

I hardly downloaded custom content for Sims 3, using instead store content or what came with the game. It's because the content that EA made for the game actually fit in with the art style of the game. I mostly download mods, and there is quite a selection of mods for The Sims 4. For MTS, I recommend looking at Shimrod101 for his mods, Scumbumbo for his mods, and plasticbox for their mods. Menaceman gets a honorable mention because he has only really recategorized items, and changed one EA shirt from saying english into Simmish.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Catalina posted:

I just made myself and a group of friends while hanging out with said friends, and its pretty awesome seeing it all in action at 1x mode. (Every Sims game I invariably 3x things 99% of the time I play). I still can't get over how well the emotions and facial expressions line up. That said, with all the quality of life improvements, I think I like TS3's base game better. There felt like there was a lot more to do.

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

I don't know where else to ask this but figured someone might be able to help here. I just started playing sims 1 again and would like to add user made content but don't want to spend hours downloading 100's of single files off sites that look like they haven't changed since I originally played when it first came out.

Is their anywhere to get a bunch of user skins/objects in a single file?

I don't think this is :files: since it's all available free individually.

Bookish
Sep 7, 2006

80% sexy 20% disgusting
One of the biggest differences between TS3 & 4 is that I used to let my sims have 1 kid to be the heir and carry on the family line but now I have to them pump out 4-5 kids because half of them turn into giant fatasses as soon as they hit teens.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Now that some time has passed, what are some good Sims 4 mods? I know there isn't a huge selection yet but surely some of it is worth getting.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Warmachine posted:

The load screens are pretty quick and seamless. The Sims not on the active lot go into a semi-autonomous mode, similar to being at work. I haven't paid close enough attention to see if actions like "Clean Up" actually result in all the dishes being washed when I get home.

They're absolutely not seamless by any stretch of the imagination. Around the same length of time as a map on insert-your-favourite-FPS I'd say. Not long enough to get up off your seat, but too long to twiddle your thumbs at every time you want a sim to leave their house.

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

Bookish posted:

One of the biggest differences between TS3 & 4 is that I used to let my sims have 1 kid to be the heir and carry on the family line but now I have to them pump out 4-5 kids because half of them turn into giant fatasses as soon as they hit teens.

That's what the insta-lean potion in the happiness rewards is for!

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Eruonen posted:

Now that some time has passed, what are some good Sims 4 mods? I know there isn't a huge selection yet but surely some of it is worth getting.

The mod manager, in case you feel lazy.

Some small QoL mods: Bigger interaction queue, darker progress circle.

Coffee & tea give more energy, pretty useful when you wanna squeeze a few more hours of uptime before tossing them to bed.
Reduced bills, if you're getting screwed over with the money.
Configurable relationship decay.

Also the authors IAmTheRad mentioned and I'd add DrChillgood to that list.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Lowly posted:

That's what the insta-lean potion in the happiness rewards is for!

Weight gain is surprisingly gradual too. I had a sim with the frame of a beanpole but after weeks of sedentary living he started getting a gut. I thought it was kind of a cool touch, in previous games I had to make them eat when theyre not hungry purposefully in order to gain weight.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Avocados posted:

Weight gain is surprisingly gradual too. I had a sim with the frame of a beanpole but after weeks of sedentary living he started getting a gut. I thought it was kind of a cool touch, in previous games I had to make them eat when theyre not hungry purposefully in order to gain weight.

I think it was one of the patches that slowed down weight gain significantly. At launch there were so many comments about how easy it was to become fat.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

wit posted:

They're absolutely not seamless by any stretch of the imagination. Around the same length of time as a map on insert-your-favourite-FPS I'd say. Not long enough to get up off your seat, but too long to twiddle your thumbs at every time you want a sim to leave their house.

Well, they're there. But they don't disrupt my gameplay like, heaven forbid, traveling in 3 did. And even 2 I remember them being more obnoxious than they are in three. They're certainly short enough to be considered seamless on my machine.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
it also depends on the amount of CC and your disk's speed. My screen transitions take about a minute because my laptop sucks and I'm a complete whore for mods (clothing is my bane) but I don't really mind since I can just tab away in the meantime.
And it's still way better than the literal quarter hour it took to load Sims 3.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Has anyone had issues with being unable to connect to the gallery? I haven't been able to connect at all for the past couple weeks. I figure I need to open a port or something on my network, but I thought I'd ask here before fiddling with that stuff. On a possibly related note, I can log into the Origin client app but logging in through a browser doesn't recognize the credentials. EA Support didn't bother to help at all with this.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Kyte posted:

The mod manager, in case you feel lazy.

Some small QoL mods: Bigger interaction queue, darker progress circle.

Coffee & tea give more energy, pretty useful when you wanna squeeze a few more hours of uptime before tossing them to bed.
Reduced bills, if you're getting screwed over with the money.
Configurable relationship decay.

Also the authors IAmTheRad mentioned and I'd add DrChillgood to that list.

Thanks! I grabbed some of those. Not sure what authors IAmTheRad mentioned, though/

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Eruonen posted:

Thanks! I grabbed some of those. Not sure what authors IAmTheRad mentioned, though/

I hosed up the link. Meant to link this one.
But I'll list it anyways: Shimrod101, Scumbumbo and plasticbox, honorable mention Menaceman. Those plus DrChillgood are all in modthesims.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 11, 2015

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kyte posted:

it also depends on the amount of CC and your disk's speed. My screen transitions take about a minute because my laptop sucks and I'm a complete whore for mods (clothing is my bane) but I don't really mind since I can just tab away in the meantime.
And it's still way better than the literal quarter hour it took to load Sims 3.

Yeah, The Sims 3 pushed me into buying an SSD, which really does wonders for load times in everything, The Sims 4 included.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Kyte posted:

I hosed up the link. Meant to link this one.
But I'll list it anyways: Shimrod101, Scumbumbo and plasticbox, honorable mention Menaceman. Those plus DrChillgood are all in modthesims.

Thanks! I got a whole bunch of mods that looked interesting but not too intrusive. Looking forward to playing again.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Splash Attack posted:

Honestly, I've always felt that custom content isn't as good as it was as in TS2, but that could be that I'm still looking through sites like ModTheSims, which definitely had its heyday during TS2. It seems that creators have moved towards blogs and tumblrs for sharing their stuff and tumblr's search function sucks balls, since putting in 'the sims 3' would always get me a hundred people sharing fifty million 'artistic' pictures of their sims with custom content that made them look like some sort of creepy doll and one hair retexture that doesn't link to the source.

What you're looking for is Finds. If you look up Sims 3 Finds on Tumblr what you'll get is specialized blogs that people who are part of the artsy-picture industry complex maintain specifically to reblog custom content. Find a couple you like, and follow them. The ones that are on a particular theme tend to be the best ones in my experience.

Obviously this makes it way more like fishing and way less like it used to be. You can't really just look up a particular object or theme you're into. It's annoying, but it seems to be where most of the stuff's getting posted.

e: 'Likes' is sometimes used as a keyword instead of Finds, but it's basically the same thing.

Republican Vampire fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 11, 2015

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

after playing a few hours my biggest complaint is the ui. i play in a big six-sim household and i constantly have to be switching the bottom right menus to find info about the sim i'm selecting, which is pretty annoying when there are six sims i control at the same time. i wish more stats were combined into each menu or more information was displayed constantly.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Hog Inspector posted:

after playing a few hours my biggest complaint is the ui. i play in a big six-sim household and i constantly have to be switching the bottom right menus to find info about the sim i'm selecting, which is pretty annoying when there are six sims i control at the same time. i wish more stats were combined into each menu or more information was displayed constantly.

I actually find the new ui a bit more intuitive than the ui in previous Sims games. I don't need to babysit the sims nearly as much as I did need to with Sims 3, as they will talk with each other automatically and keep conversations going, even grabbing dinner or doing homework or whatever. They will take care of their needs themselves basically. It's even with a household of 5 sims, and the fact that the need bar shows the motive that's the lowest does help a ton.

Anyways, a picture!

Death even needs to work out sometimes. He just showed up at the Gym one of my Sims was working out at and hopped on the treadmill for a workout.

I notice the easiest way to raise your fun quickly is to send them to space. It's a 2 hour trip, and it maxes out the fun need. The best computer playing a modded video game in a room with the proper mood objects and the most comfortable chairs won't raise the bar nearly as quickly. Not to mention some of the space trips are quite interesting. My Sim found themselves on a swamp planet with their ship stuck in a swamp and a green alien came to them to help them get the ship out of the swamp, and they went into a cave with only what they brought with them, no weapons... Really subtle there, EA. At least you own the Star Wars license for games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I don't think it was supposed to be subtle either, since there are Star Wars clothes and they used them in promo shots.