Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

Won't Hagan be seen as a loser if she runs just two years after being beaten?

Didn't seem to hurt Brown too much. Well, yeah, he lost, but it was drat close, and he also had the baggage of carpetbagging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

Won't Hagan be seen as a loser if she runs just two years after being beaten?

Romney will be President some day, thus Hagan should run again. There is not really a tinge of "loser", it is a political myth.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Nonsense posted:

Romney will be President some day, thus Hagan should run again. There is not really a tinge of "loser", it is a political myth.

Romney's lost twice on a national stage and once on the state level. Hagan lost a close election in a Republican year with monumentally lovely turnout.

There's a difference there.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Examples to refute the loser myth: two people who lost again after having lost once.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

Examples to refute the loser myth: two people who lost again after having lost once.

Bqhatevwr, dude.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Brown will win in Massachusetts also. He'll crack that egg.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Nonsense posted:

Brown will win in Massachusetts also. He'll crack that egg.

Is he off to the Vermonty part of Massaschusetts now?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Nth Doctor posted:

Is he off to the Vermonty part of Massaschusetts now?

No, he's pretty much exhausted the opportunities for places that will tolerate his poo poo. Vermont's too liberal, Connecticut won't fall for the barn coat act (they're not as "live free of taxes" as New Hampshire), and Maine and Rhode Island have already got two established Senators.

I guess he'll have to look elsewhere :v:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Barbara Boxer will not be running for re-election.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrhCFGCbPaI

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Joementum posted:

Barbara Boxer will not be running for re-election.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrhCFGCbPaI

Why did I think we already knew this? Did she announce it late last year?

Either way, it'll either be Gavin Newsom or Eric Garcetti.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Alter Ego posted:

We talked about it a page ago.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

Alter Ego posted:

Either way, it'll either be Gavin Newsom or Eric Garcetti.

It's been discussed for the last couple months or so and most figured she would announce that she wouldn't run.

Don't forget Harris, though she's probably more interested in the governor's seat.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
LA Mayor Garcetti won't run for Senate.

Carly Fiorina is no longer a resident of California, though she's got over a year if she wants to change that.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The Dems are trying to recruit several former Senators to run again in 2016, but they are reluctant to commit. Without these three candidates they don't have strong Senate benches in these states that are must wins to take the Senate back. The DSCC is trying to recruit:

Wisconsin: Russ Feingold
North Carolina: Kay Hagan
New Hampshire: Maggie Hassan

According to the article none of them have been willing to commit to it, but haven't ruled it out yet either. Feingold is considered the most likely to commit.

http://www.nationaljournal.com//politics/democrats-2016-senate-hopes-turn-on-three-candidates-20150104?ref=nj_daily

What I don't get is why everyone keeps saying Foxx won't run against Burr. What else is he gonna do? The governor's race is already spoken for, and who goes from a cabinet job back to city mayor? He could go lobby, but that seems more of a retirement gig.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

comes along bort posted:

What I don't get is why everyone keeps saying Foxx won't run against Burr. What else is he gonna do? The governor's race is already spoken for, and who goes from a cabinet job back to city mayor? He could go lobby, but that seems more of a retirement gig.

Stay in cabinet, assuming Hillary or another Democrat wins.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Cliff Racer posted:

Stay in cabinet, assuming Hillary or another Democrat wins.

Or assuming she doesn't already have her own pick in mind.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Feingold hinted in 2013 that he might be "a candidate" in 2016, so I wouldn't rule him out just yet. Granted, his "hint" consisted of him saying "I don't come to you as a candidate, at least not in 2013 or 2014, or 2015" but a guy can dream can't he? :allears:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I really hope he runs again. It's ridiculous that he lost to begin with.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Feingold hinted in 2013 that he might be "a candidate" in 2016, so I wouldn't rule him out just yet. Granted, his "hint" consisted of him saying "I don't come to you as a candidate, at least not in 2013 or 2014, or 2015" but a guy can dream can't he? :allears:

The DSCC is openly trying to recruit him to run against Johnson and the Roll Call article says he hasn't committed to it yet, but is considered likely to.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

FlamingLiberal posted:

I really hope he runs again. It's ridiculous that he lost to begin with.

No, what's ridiculous is that he knows where Washington is on a map. That's offensive and disqualifies him for office. In Washington.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

comes along bort posted:

This post really confused me until I clicked the link and realized you were not talking about Virginia Foxx

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

mooyashi posted:

This post really confused me until I clicked the link and realized you were not talking about Virginia Foxx

:laffo:

In other news to no one's surprise Villaraigosa's likely running .

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I haven't heard much from Villaraigosa in years, aside from him getting disgraced in an affair or something before leaving the mayor's office.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I haven't heard much from Villaraigosa in years, aside from him getting disgraced in an affair or something before leaving the mayor's office.

I'd have definitely risked losing power over one of the largest municipalities in the United States for a fling with a journalist who actually covered me positively, what wife?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Was he any good as mayor?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

CaptainCarrot posted:

Didn't seem to hurt Brown too much. Well, yeah, he lost, but it was drat close, and he also had the baggage of carpetbagging.

I really don't think it is baggage. People just don't care about carpetbagging, at least on the level of US Senate. There's no shortage of political candidates who have succeeded despite carpetbagging. Most notable of which is Hillary Clinton, who won twice in New York. Hell, one of my Senator, Dan Coats, gave a speech saying he was glad to be out of Indiana and retired in North Carolina. But he still ran in 2010 and won.

Now if Brown had lost my 10+ points in a Republican year like 2014, then I'd say it was an issue. But it really just wasn't that big of a deal.

notthegoatseguy has issued a correction as of 22:58 on Jan 10, 2015

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Nonsense posted:

I'd have definitely risked losing power over one of the largest municipalities in the United States for a fling with a journalist who actually covered me positively, what wife?

I looked her up and she looks like the smile.jpg dog. Those teeth are terrifying.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

notthegoatseguy posted:

I really don't think it is baggage. People just don't care about carpetbagging, at least on the level of US Senate.

They do when it's Massachusetts and New Hampshire. :v:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Alter Ego posted:

They do when it's Massachusetts and New Hampshire. :v:

I suspect that most people who believe that carpetbagging wasn't an issue in Brown's race don't realize just how much New Hampshire is dominated by the Boston media market.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Carpetbagging is important. Even more so when you've NEVER had a tie to a particular state. It probably won't matter so much in a presidential race but many otherwise "good" candidates have been undone by the fact that they were only willing to live in, say, West Virginia if they were being voted on. Just look at how much lack of time in state hurt Lugar and Roberts (KS.)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Badger of Basra posted:

Was he any good as mayor?
He was absolutely a terrible empty suit of a mayor. He started out by pushing for School reform by having a mayoral takeover of low performing schools, which was good for a series of photo ops and led to nothing but building pro-charter sentiment. He lost a significant segment of his hispanic supporters after the retarded affair scandal. He helped push the Subway to the Sea plan (extending the LA Metro purple line through LA's westside), but also increased taxes on the transit system to cover construction costs. He's also got an air of slimy backdoor nepotism about him. He's only really coasting on the fact that he's a hispanic politician. We could do much, much better for a CA senator than this douche.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Wow I always thought Villaraigosa was slimy but I had no idea just how much.

Anyway I'm split on if I want Kamala Harris running for governor or senator.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Currently reading Loudest Voice In The Room, the biography about Roger Ailes, and this is the ad he produced in 1984 that got Mitch McConnell elected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcpuhiIDx3Q

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Cliff Racer posted:

Carpetbagging is important. Even more so when you've NEVER had a tie to a particular state. It probably won't matter so much in a presidential race but many otherwise "good" candidates have been undone by the fact that they were only willing to live in, say, West Virginia if they were being voted on. Just look at how much lack of time in state hurt Lugar and Roberts (KS.)

Lugar wasn't hurt primarily by not being in the state. He was already looked at as a RINO by much of the base, and got forced out the same way other more moderate GOP congress people got forced out. If there'd been no tea party wave then he would have been fine because nobody would have cared. The right wing of the GOP looks at any congressman that's been there more than 2-3 terms as basically a carpetbagger even if they're from the state.

It's just a meaningless slur they use to try to amp up how disconnected they feel the person is. They're literally pointing at successful congress people, and saying, "What're they spending so much time in Washington for, anyway!" Their success as politicians in keeping their jobs is being used as evidence against them. It's very Rovian.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Gavin's out, leaving Harris, Villarigosa, and Steyer to fight it out for the CA Senate seat.

One of those people is a billionaire. :ssh:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Joementum posted:

Gavin's out, leaving Harris, Villarigosa, and Steyer to fight it out for the CA Senate seat.

One of those people is a billionaire. :ssh:

For what it's worth, I think Harris and Villarigosa have by far more name recognition than Steyer.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

For what it's worth, I think Harris and Villarigosa have by far more name recognition than Steyer.

Something tells me the CA TV networks are going to find out exactly how much that's worth.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
And now Harris is in. If she clears the field early it'll be really good for the CA Democrats. If there's a tough-fought primary, CA's idiotic top two system could cause issues.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Ah, sweet. I'm wondering who'll run for governor in 2018 though (and I hope it's just her in the field, given how our primary system works).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I'm ready for Harris.

• Locked thread