Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

something posted:

When I saw FFVII coming up i assumed it was like a 7+ hour run even speedrun. How wrong I was....

They mentioned earlier in the run that the console record is in the 7:20 range I believe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Cool Matty posted:

It's Silver Surfer.
Bah! Well you know what to play next break then. :colbert:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

No I don't accept what I just watched, catching that swinging rope on the first try can't be done. It's not possible.

e; "Aerith" :frogout:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Holy poo poo I wouldn't be surprised if Big John could bench 4 plates.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
The prerendered backgrounds of FFVII have held up pretty well, there are a lot of little details in a lot of them.

http://imgur.com/a/shRaP

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

So glad they're actually putting some kind of limit on the 'best FF' talk. That made the donation chat a few years back insufferable, especially with that one donation that listed 50-odd different games.

you were saying...

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Lloyd Van Buren posted:

you were saying...

it was kind of funny so it's fine

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Nice to hear a SpaceDrake donation. Stay safe, relax to some speedruns. :3:

El Golden Goose
Jul 23, 2007
Whoa that "retard" in the dialogue is very not PC, Square...

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Lloyd Van Buren posted:

you were saying...

At least those were all FF games, the one I was thinking of was just random games and went on for about 10 minutes straight.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Kanfy posted:

The prerendered backgrounds of FFVII have held up pretty well, there are a lot of little details in a lot of them.

http://imgur.com/a/shRaP

The Steam version is amazingly fun to replay for this reason. The backgrounds aren't just detailed, they're loving bonkers in terms of things like scale, and the game uses its fixed camera angles to do a lot of cool stuff with perspective too.

People who just dismiss it as an ugly or visually uninteresting game are wads.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

El Golden Goose posted:

Whoa that "retard" in the dialogue is very not PC, Square...

actually this is the PC version

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Zombies' Downfall posted:

The Steam version is amazingly fun to replay for this reason. The backgrounds aren't just detailed, they're loving bonkers in terms of things like scale, and the game uses its fixed camera angles to do a lot of cool stuff with perspective too.

People who just dismiss it as an ugly or visually uninteresting game are wads.

I think most people mean the character models when talking about FFVII looking bad, and they are pretty terrible. Early 3D was probably the ugliest period in gaming and they're not great even by that standard at least outside of battles. But yeah, I really like the backgrounds in this game.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

IcePhoenix posted:

:nallears:

Kanfy posted:

I think most people mean the character models when talking about FFVII looking bad, and they are pretty terrible. Early 3D was probably the ugliest period in gaming. But yeah, I really like the backgrounds in this game.

A 'remake' of this game that reused the same backgrounds and replaced the models with better ones would be amazing

but nope, let's instead troll players with the most hosed up trailer ever

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Kanfy posted:

I think most people mean the character models when talking about FFVII looking bad, and they are pretty terrible. Early 3D was probably the ugliest period in gaming and they're not great even by that standard at least outside of battles. But yeah, I really like the backgrounds in this game.

Wasn't this game out around the same time as OoT? That game, while it doesn't hold up now, has vastly more detailed character models and animation compared to FFVII.

El Golden Goose
Jul 23, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

dang

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Wasn't this game out around the same time as OoT? That game, while it doesn't hold up now, has vastly more detailed character models and animation compared to FFVII.

OoT was like a year and a half later I think

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kanfy posted:

Early 3D was probably the ugliest period in gaming

What are you talking about, everything looked so REAL!

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Red Red Blue posted:

OoT was like a year and a half later I think

Wow, really? I thought they were both '98

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Almost 2 years later, FF8 was a lot closer.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Wow, really? I thought they were both '98

Ffvii was 97

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

SatansBestBuddy posted:

The N64 was a much more powerful system than the PS1 in almost every way. It even had rudimentary anti-aliasing, something even the PS2 lacked. If the N64 used CDs instead of carts, the gap between the best looking PS1 games and the best looking N64 games would be the size of the grand canyon.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Your Computer posted:

What are you talking about, everything looked so REAL!
LBA was relatively good looking early 3d, though. You want

or something.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I wouldn't say they were "vastly" more detailed but they definitely looked better since they at least had proper hands and faces.

The combat models in VII are about on par with OoT I think.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Is there a place to see what the save/kill totals are?

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Cubey posted:

The N64 was a much more powerful system than the PS1 in almost every way. It even had rudimentary anti-aliasing, something even the PS2 lacked. If the N64 used CDs instead of carts, the gap between the best looking PS1 games and the best looking N64 games would be the size of the grand canyon.

The N64's almost non-existant texture memory would not have been saved by a CD drive.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Also this part of FFVII is legit eerie, especially back when I played it for the first time.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kanfy posted:

I wouldn't say they were "vastly" more detailed but they definitely looked better since they at least had proper hands and faces.

Remember that OoT also has a full 3D environment in addition to the character models. Pretty sure the PlayStation was made for 2D games, which is why it was poo poo at 3D-

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Zurreco posted:

https://gamesdonequick.com/tracker/bids/12

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Do people actually run Order of Ambrosia :psyduck:

Like, I loving adore FF12, but routing and running that seems like the least enjoyable thing shy of water torture. Finishing my bestiary almost made me quit that game, loving Larva Eater...

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

There's visible blood in a Final Fantasy game, what is this?!

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Cool, thanks. Only a $5k gap now.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Your Computer posted:

Remember that OoT also has a full 3D environment in addition to the character models. Pretty sure the PlayStation was made for 2D games, which is why it was poo poo at 3D-

I don't understand technology nearly enough to understand how the gently caress Nintendo got so much power out of some cartridges.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Zurreco posted:

Save: $73k
Kill: $68.1k

About $5k difference. Save was up 12k during the Vanquish run this morning, so Kill will probably pull ahead.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
ugh this is a conflict, i want to listen to the commentary but i absolutely cannot stand the ff7 soundtrack

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Save: $73k
Kill: $68.1k

About $5k difference. Save was up 12k during the Vanquish run this morning, so Kill will probably pull ahead.

Yeah its been hovering around 5k for a while, was down as low as 4k but save made a bit of a comeback

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I don't understand technology nearly enough to understand how the gently caress Nintendo got so much power out of some cartridges.

The cartridges are just for storage, all the power is in the machine itself :eng101:

Accessing that data was much faster on a cartridge (nearly instant) compared to the long load times of CD, but you could pack a lot more into a CD for WAY cheaper.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
But n64 was broken out of the box with the worst texture cache ever.

quote:

A challenge is presented by the texture cachesmall size of only 4 KB. This leads to developers needing to stretch small textures over a comparatively larger space. The console's bilinear filtering only blurs them further. Due to the design of the renderer, when mipmapping is used, the texture cache is effectively halved to 2 KB. 

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

Your Computer posted:

Other way around. PSX was designed to be a 3D machine from the start. It was the Saturn that was built to be a 2D powerhouse; Sega had to scramble to beef up its 3D capabilities once they learned what Sony was up to, which is why the Saturn has such architecture or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
Wow oddly the KH2 run wasn't bad. I skipped the singing even though some people enjoyed it, but yeah, just really efficient playing with no glitches.

Just really long though.

• Locked thread